Reviews by queen cupcake

Dangerous Complicity by Etat Libre d'Orange

I will say at the outset that I am not familiar with many of ELDO's works. I have worn this one and Afternoon of a Faun. I was a little put off by the notes listed for this frag, but it turns out very well for my skin; gentle, flowery, but a bit different from the many other perfumes in my cabinet. I understand that this line is known for "edgy", and this particular juice is not that. However, I wanted to put in a good word for it. On its own, and without comparing it to other works by ELDO, I find this to be a lovely and wearable scent. It is NOT a department store celebrity juice at all. The dry down is my favorite aspect. I admit to a lack of savvy when describing perfume, so I apologize for that. I still think this one could be considered unisex.
06th January, 2015

Mojave Ghost by Byredo

The opening was so brief, I almost missed it! Interesting for the first 5 minutes. Then a fruit festival. I have tested this several times and like it less every time. Four sprays this morning, and two hours later, I can hardly smell it at all, which is better than the intense Juicy Fruit I detected on an earlier trial. I checked the LuckyScent site today to see if they stock it, and it wasn't listed. At around $145 for 50ml of a Byredo perfume, I expect much better than this.
20th October, 2014

Vanilla Fields by Coty

I get plenty of vanilla in Vanilla Fields. Hadn't worn it in years, but recently acquired a bottle in an auction lot. I am reviewing an older bottle which I estimate to be from the first formula. I does smell different than a new one you would buy today. It's actually pretty good for a drugstore scent! I sometimes layer it with more severe, incense type scents.
20th June, 2010 (last edited: 29th January, 2011)

Le Feu D'Issey by Issey Miyake

I wanted so much to like this fragrance after reading reviews here. I have a lot of respect for Asha's and Somerville Metro Man's views. And vic2007, odd is a kind word for how this one strikes me. Alas for me, the putrid phase never passed. I've tried it several times now, and on my skin, this scent sends out pickled peppers, then Vick's cough drops. From there, I get something vaguely interesting like blackberry jam but also plastic or mimeograph fluid. Only readers of a certain age will recognize the latter reference. ;-) Using up the last bit of my Issey sample vial, I sprayed my left arm with it. On my right arm, L'Artisan Perfumuer's Piment Brulant. I mean, if it's pepper you want, that's the one to try. One and a half hours later, the Issey is wafting something like the cough drop with a little vanilla, maybe some rose, and something I cannot identify but don't like. The Piment Brulant is still sending out the chili pepper vibe, along with something less sweet than Le Feu. Admittedly, I am not a very sophisticated or experienced sniffer--give me some time. I understand that Le Feu D'Issey is currently discontinued. This does not break my heart. Now I have to go scrub my left arm. I will, however, look into trying other creations by Issey Miyake.
18th October, 2009