Reviews by kitsch

kitsch's avatar
    kitsch

Les Nombres d'Or - Cuir by Mona di Orio

Testing a dab-on sample from teardrop (thanks!) on OH and me, we get coal-tar soap from the off; a dried-out creosoted fence; and the dry-down of Guerlain Vetiver/herbs. Nary a bit of leather to be had.

OH had hoped for some tobacco, given other reviews of this scent, but it was not to be.

I do like coal-tar/creosote/phenols but would I want them when I was expecting leather?

Results may differ when sprayed but when dabbed there's no leather.

05th August, 2014

Moschino by Moschino

It's a proper Perfume - a confident and elegant Perfume with a capital P. Charming, lasts very well, stays close to the wearer. Very Good.

24th August, 2011

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

I'm posting because I have a question: did no-one else get "green olives in brine" from SDV?

I tried it in the depths of winter, for comfort and lusciousness, and I sniffed it and it smelled just like "green olives in brine" on my wrists. I do like olives but I was expecting something very different from SDV.

I'll try it again (can't due to a cold at present) before the weather gets too much warmer, but did anyone else get any "olives" at all from SDV??

(In case it's weird chemistry, I'm not a smoker or drinker - I don't even drink fermented tea or any coffee - and I'm a vegetarian. Perhaps high-end French perfume isn't designed for someone like me?!)

22nd February, 2011

Jennifer Aniston / Lolavie by Jennifer Aniston

Tried this at "The Perfume Shop" on a cardboard strip. It reminded me of another scent but I couldn't put a name to it, although it does smell like a bar of creamy 1970s soap.

Hours later, having left the cardboard strip in an enclosed dark place, the smell puts me in mind of the scent of just-ironed laundry, where you've used a steam iron or pressed the linen/clothes while they're damp. Maybe the smell that's in the back of my mind *was* a 1970s laundry detergent or bar of soap? I can't pin it down.

I'd love it if someone with a better memory recall would test this and say what I'm half-remembering.

I'm giving it a neutral rating because I didn't get to try it on my skin and because it seems to fit Ms Aniston's reported brief (not a "notice me!" Perfume but a gentle, quiet, soft ambience of cleanliness).

23rd January, 2011

Gold by Donna Karan

I understand that mention of cucumber - Donna Karan Gold, upon initial application to my wrists, has a cucumbery or vegetable squash-like aspect just at the start for a few seconds only. Typically, thereafter all is voluptuously creamy florals and heavenly decadence wafting from my wrists.

However, today, in the interests of finding out whether this unexpected aspect would occur or perhaps last longer if I applied Gold elsewhere, I spritzed the throat/cleavage area two times and - lo and behold! - a more cucumbery and then a gentle "just-finished freshly discarded juicy pear-core or apple-core" smell was apparent amidst the usual loveliness. (Can't express it any better, I'm afraid!) Again, I didn't find it off-putting but I hadn't encountered it before. This fruit-core scent is lasting with the scent. It has never been apparent during my usual wrists-only applications.

My wrists smell wholly different to my throat/cleavage using the same scent!

So did the others who found these unusual and unexpected vegetative or fruity scents use Gold on the throat, wrists, both, or elsewhere? (Well, I'm intrigued now ...)

02nd November, 2010

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Delicious, long-lasting on the skin under clothing. Utterly enchanting fragrance. 100% positive rating.

12th October, 2010

The Smell of Weather Turning by Gorilla Perfume

I tried this on its own and it made me think of BNTBTBB Breath of God and Superworldunknown, so I tried it again on my wrists with Breath of God in the crook of one arm and Superworldunknown in the crook of the other.

Naturally the initial smokiness of BoG chimed with the gentle smokiness of The Smell of Weather Turning but the mint of TSoWT sang out clearly throughout: each scent differed and I couldn't figure out why the new one had prompted thoughts of the earlier scents. I'll have to try it again and keep trying.

I didn't get the idea of the weather turning, sadly, but that might come in time. It is great to find compelling and challenging scents readily available at pretty modest prices, by which I mean scents that don't give up all their secrets at the first test.

(In my group test, Breath of God was the most compelling of the three. It really has rewarded patience and is definitely worth trying - in a small area with a small amount - and allowing time for it to change and change and change again on your skin. Irresistible.)

Lust by Gorilla Perfume

A lot of oomph! If you like jasmine, get a sample and give it a whirl. It lasts and lasts.

Orange Blossom by Gorilla Perfume

This is delicious. Honey, blossom honey, honeyed florals. Long-lasting and evocative of sweet, rich summer warmth. Yum.

Vanillary by Gorilla Perfume

Delicate and delectable, warm and reassuring. A hug in a bottle.

17th September, 2010

Poême by Lancôme

The weirdest scent memory occurred to me today. I put on Jil Sander Style Pastels Soft Yellow for the first time and it immediately called another scent to mind. After racking my brains - the other scent's name was nearly on the tip of my tongue but wouldn't fully emerge! - I finally hit upon it. It smells like Poeme after Poeme has mellowed down for a few hours.

I like Poeme, in small doses and on the right occasion, and I didn't expect that immediate "scent echo" from Jil Sander Style Pastels Soft Yellow. Does any other Basenotes reviewer find the same thing?

I've since seen that there are internet-supplied notes in common: orange blossom, freesia, vanilla, amber, but did anyone else get this experience too? It isn't just me is it?

15th July, 2010

Satsuma by Body Shop

Very very potent bright satsuma citrus - great for cheering one up on a grey wintry day. It is true that it lasts and lasts and lasts and then lasts some more. I like it occasionally, and it is great in the room fragrance oil version (one drop alone in the oil burner does the job for the house!). Good value because the merest hint of it suffices. For citrus-lovers only.

27th May, 2010

Lime, Mandarin and Vetiver by Tesco

It is very good. Softest citrus and gentle woody/musky base, with good longevity as it fades and mellows and softens but never disappears. An absolute bargain for a summer scent.

Lily & Spice by Penhaligon's

This was one of the first Penhaligon's fragrances that I took to immediately. The spices balance and also enhance the richness of the lily scent. Very moreish. (I must compare with Donna Karan Gold.)

Inis by Fragrances of Ireland

Fresh and refreshing - another great scent for reviving a flagging soul on a sultry day. Very well-priced too. A trip to the seaside when you can't take time off!

Cornubia by Penhaligon's

Feminine and comforting - the heliotrope is responsible for the luxuriously comforting quality, I think. Lasts very well and doesn't overpower the wearer or the people around them. A truly charming fragrance.

Ginger Essence by Origins

The one to go to for a wake-up call. Fresh ginger, freshly grated so it has the sharp lemony tang - wow! So refreshing.

Annam by Tan Giudicelli

I've given away the EdT of this which is probably lighter, airier than the EdP.

The scent is delicate and sweet in the air, but it isn't "right" on me.

I didn't realise it had so many fans. I had it shut away before giving it to someone who loves it!

14th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 17th March, 2012)

L'Eau Rose by Agnès B

Glorious and uplifting lemonade rose. It's a tonic for the body, with real rose oil and dazzlingly zesty citrus. It isn't overwhelming, just fresh and revitalising all day - it has real lasting power too, mellowing but staying true for hours and hours. I can't for the life of me understand why this was discontinued.

Essential for a hot, busy day - wearing it is like carrying your own private garden with you, the roses soothe and the sparkling citrus keeps you alert and ready for anything.

My remaining half-bottle is my treasure. I wish it was still available.

14th May, 2010

Le B by Agnès B

A gentle white floral. Very feminine and subtle. I wish I had the nose that would enable me to pick out the notes for you - apart from "rose" and "orange blossom" and "fragrant white flowers" I'm stuck!

(I haven't tried the new formulation which sounds intriguing. A comparison would be great. Luckily I have a practically full 50 ml bottle of the original so I don't have to panic if the reformulation does away with the original.)

14th May, 2010

Superworldunknown by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

I found this to be a delicate floral with hints of fruitiness. It was lovely, on a cold, snowy day, to catch hints of this as I soldiered along on busy city streets: it seemed warm and colourful on a cold bleak day. There was no way for me to identify individual notes as it seemed to keep changing. Very likeable, for me. (It must be different on different people.)

Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Definitely give this fragrance time to develop - the initial smokiness is compelling and I certainly couldn't stop checking to find out how it would change (even *when* it would change!). Compulsive and intriguing.

Cuir by Lancôme

Ravishing. Glorious. Not to be missed.

White Tea by Berkeley Square

Much better than Berkeley Square's aggressive Fig and Cherry, which overpowered me with sweetness and fruit that went on forever. This has soft. light, delicate almost sparkling notes in comparison, which is delightful and fresh in the summer heat.

(My review just disappeared: I'm new to this so forgive me if this goes wrong.)

White Tea by Berkeley Square would be delightful whilst listening to nightingales. It is everything that Fig and Cherry wasn't. This is soft, light, delicate and almost sparkling with bright but not harsh top notes; it mellows and develops but stays delightful and fresh on a hot summer's day or sultry humid summer's night. The hand cream that accompanied my scent is well-perfumed and long-lasting too. All in all, a much better offering from Berkeley Square.

30th June, 2009

Fig & Cherry by Berkeley Square

This is so fruity and sweet that it is overpowering. Even one spritz lasts for days - the room in which I sprayed it smells of this OTT fruity-sweet icky stuff two days after that one spritz. Much too much for me to wear or use, and I wouldn't inflict it on anyone either. The bottle looks very atttractive but the scent in the bottle isn't.

27th June, 2009