Reviews by justaguy

justaguy's avatar
    justaguy

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

This smelled okay for the first two minutes or so, but then ended up smelling like raw meat. It was shocking to say the least. It must not work with my skin well.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I don't know if you can call this unique just because it has iris in a men's fragrance, but you can certainly call it good. The chocolate/iris/herbaceous accord in the heart really hold it together, and smells great until the strange stumbling woody-amber drydown that takes a while to set in. Not too complex or fussy, a nice everyday sort of normal fragrance, if not a little more powdery or sweet than normal.

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Yuck. While a good representation of the genre of fruity scents, this just is to much. Too sweet, too rich, too much.

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I can easily understand apprehensions about Timbuktu. Its opening is rather strange to me. From afar its a thick green woody note that is somehow transparent, but up close its cat litter(Not in an animalic way). It only improves from there. Its strong woody tones remain so cheerful for so long it surprises me. Usually woody fragrances come off as crass (in a cowboy way) or just boring. The floral and fruit tones most likely aid in that sensation, but hinder its opening from becoming more appealing. The drydown is where the genius lies. It is smoky/woody in a way nothing else really is. Its as if you took the smell of a barbecue or campfire, removed foody smells, removed thicker oily parts of it, and only left the natural tinge of smoke in dry segment of bark to shine.

15th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 09th January, 2010)

Vetiver by Guerlain

A soapy, anise and licorice-like vetiver. Pretty linear form start to finish and unwaveringly pleasing. Somewhat boring however. Especially cloying if overapplied.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

While everyone around me thinks I smell like baby powder, I still know the truth. Habit Rouge is a complex fragrance not easily appreciated by anyone that foils classic masculinity with a powdery, sweet, and dandified feeling. Hot weather, however, does end up making this a powdery mess, so watch out.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

When a woman tells you that you remind her of her grandpa, and says you smell good, I think you've got a keeper. As long as you have no qualms with smelling put together or "mature" Eau Sauvage is the dandy's choice for summer fragrance. Bright and herbaceous, and especially long lasting for its genre.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Strange beauty is the theme of this one. If any fragrance could get the award for changing one of the worst smelling things out there (rubber) into a grand fragrance (black) Bvlgari's Black would win hands down. This is the weird quiet kid of perfumes that is freakishly intelligent. Unfortunately, this is an awful perfume in the heat, so keep it in the cooler season for testing to appreciate it the most.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I had initially been looking for a thick amber fragrance as a gift for my sister-- so I sought out Ambre Sultan. Much to my delight, it was perfect! Resinous, but not overpowering or assaulting, this is probably one of the finest ambers out there that prevents cloying sweetness by adding tinge of herbal spiciness at times. As a gift however, it failed, because I like it so much, I constantly steal it from her! :D

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

The top and heart notes of Y are possibly the best take on a green soft floral yet. Like an improved no. 19 that projects better and is a tinge sweeter and richer, while still retaining freshness. However the basenotes let you know that not all good things last forever, giving you a strange peppery woody finish, which, while not unpleasant, is totally undesirable in the given situation. Beautiful nonetheless.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

While initially strangely herbaceous and reminiscent of weedy smells, Angel brings the words fruity, rich, sweet, and powerful to a new level. The period after the strange herbaceousness smells like a rich fruit compote with chocolate cake in the oven next to you. After that, it descends into a carmely, chocolaty, rich scent. Patchouli makes a feature in the end, letting you know that's what has been making this so interesting all along. Lasts on my skin over 24 hours. Crazy.

Arpège by Lanvin

I got a miniature of this just a month ago and have been loving it since, but application has been difficult, since its a splash bottle. Much to my dismay, the splash bottle splashed about half of itself onto me one morning before school. I didn't have time to take it off, so I braved the massive sillage. As my AP US History teacher paced the room, he started sniffing the air on our side of the classroom, saying, "It smells nice in here, who is that?" Everyone around me turned and pointed to me. Needless to say, it was embarrassing and flattering and hilarious all at once. Thank God this stuff is so good. Definitely unisex, it starts along the lines of a muted No. 5 of Joy in a more beige tone that isn't as strident with the aldehydes. After that, it grows into a beautiful rich musky floral that dries down into the best musk base out there, hands down. A must try for anyone.

1000 by Jean Patou

Unfortunately, I find 1000 EDT to be nothing like the reviews. For me, it starts with a very soapy and bright neroli that lasts around an hour until it gives wayt o a light jasmine dripping in honey. The ending, however, reminds me of Joy's base, but weaker and sweeter. For me, 1000 is a less impressive form of Joy.

That was what I used to think of 1000, but after trying it again and again for some unknown urge, I have realized how intensely beautiful it is. In my mind, this is what a "fresh" floral should be. Bright but not strident florals exist throughout almost all of the composition and make everything you do feel lighter and less serious. Its a perfume that sets the mood for the day, and with 1000 its always good.

22nd August, 2009 (Last Edited: 06th January, 2010)

Joy by Jean Patou

For a few days I've been wearing the EDT out of a tester and can say its a grand summer scent. Not too feminine, however definitely not masculine, Joy EDT is a green floral with very good sillage and amazing lasting power. It opens with a booming green neroli and galbanum combo that is unbelievably perfumey and aldehydic. The beginning is edging on bugspray (in the best sense) when it slowly descends into a rosy heart with a calm jasmine weaving in and out. Further along, it breaks down to a musky jasmine and sandalwood base. The changes happen slowly and are very subtle. I can only imagine how great the parfum is.

22nd August, 2009

Mitsouko by Guerlain

A beautiful, striking, and almost unbearably complex fragrance. Mitsouko is a flawless classic that gives chypre's their good (and fitting) name. As it opens with its resinous, spicy, and citric opening, you can't help but feel luxurious. Its heart is possibly the most striking part of it, however. As the sharp (yet pleasant) top notes fade, an utterly fascinating chord of peach, iris, and a whole lot of other things that I cannot distinguish come into the light and resonate beauty. As it dries down, it turns to deep tones of oakmoss, vetiver, and musk to contrast the supple and rich heart. If you don't like it the first time, try it again, and again, and again...You'll fall in love with it soon enough-- I know I did.

15th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2009)

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Bleh, I used to like this then I realized it was crappy. Throughout the whole composition is an oily burnt butter smell that makes me nauseous. While the underlying fragrance is ok, this strange burnt butter accord makes it wholly unwearable.

01st July, 2009 (Last Edited: 06th January, 2010)