Reviews by MonkeyManMatt

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Okay, this is indeed a Noble fragrance. SN definitely is very refined and a high quality juice. It smells almost more as mahogany than sandalwood, at least the juice conjures up very dark images when smelling it. Still there is something in here making it impossible for me to love this MPG. The coffee doesn't compliment the wood notes in a good way and the overall bitterness gets too much in the end for me. The best sandalwoods IMO are the ones with some sweet spices anchoring the compostion, for example Floris Santal and Gucci Envy. My grudge with this one is probably highly personal though, and if you usually enjoy high quality woody, formal and masculine stuff you should definitely give Santal Noble a try.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Sweet, peppery, positively smoldering with spices. One of the most uncompromising male orientals out there. The staying power is insane, probably weeks if you don't shower. The supporting products are top notch as well (like always from YSL) and the deo-stick is probably enough for those who want to keep it light. Did I mention it comes in a concentrated version as well? =)

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

As any regular basenoter knows, Laguna is the premier choice of the distinguished Mr. Milamber on the boards. I share his affection for it only to a ertain extent. An able fragrance that I'd describe as a CK Be with a good dose of saltiness and a strong vanilla base. Lasts very well and is a good choice for guys with no other vanillas in their wardrobes.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Like many of it's 70's peers, Gentleman suffers from the patchouli OD so typical for this decade. On me it's sour and nasty, very strong too. The base reeks of civet, which is fecal by nature, and doesn't improve the overall impression one bit... Stay away!

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Cumin done right. Probably the only fragrance with detectable cumin that doesn't smell like bad BO. Eau d'Hermès is just so perfectly balanced. Perhaps not a surprise since the Great Roudnitska is it's creator. Dries down to a sweet, super-pleasant almost bubblegum-ish base that surrounds you for hours and hours. One of the best "ancient" creations still available.

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I can say I bought Bois Farine on the spot after just smelling the sprayer. It has been in my top 5 ever since, and trust me, that says a lot. It's so original I can hardly describe it. Just like Marlen I think it has a strong peanutty-character but there's so much more to BF. There's bitterness but also sweetness, it's masculine but also very floral. It dries down to a kind of pastrie finish that sticks around forever, easily the strongest L'Artisan on the market. Just try it, if you like it chances are it'll become a life-long companion.
    Masterfull.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Already a big success in my home country, I can easily see why. Dior Homme just oozes quality. Everything from the flawless packaging and perfect bottle design to the dry iris/cocoa, powdery ambigous yet classic blend has obviously been overseen by Hedi Slimane personally. The man knows what he's doing. Just try Dior Homme and you'll understand.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

First of all they have really made a superb job with packaging and bottle, very attractive.
    It starts out with some very fresh notes contrasted by heavy hazelnut coffee which creates a very weird first impression, but I like it. After a while, and I'm very surprised no one else on the boards has experienced the same, it becomes extremely reminiscent of Polo Sport! I swear, after 1-2 hours they're very hard to tell apart on my skin. This fact probably will keep me from investing in this Givenchy.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Burnt Sugar by Comme des Garçons

Hands down the best of this the latest series. Linear and sweet, but pleasant and with great sillage too. A winner. It's also funny how they abandoned the sleek, graphic, modern packaging for a kitschy-french boudoire style this time around.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Nomad Tea by Comme des Garçons

First I was stunned - what a great tea fragrance, excellent update of Tea for Two et al. After the topnotes fade however NT slips into classic CdG mode and comes across almost exactly as something from the 1:st series (leaves). Big dissapointment.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Wood Coffee by Comme des Garçons

I'm bizarrely addicted to coffee, espresso, cappucino, lattes - you name it. Therefore I'm always on the prowl for a good coffe-scent. So far A*men, Rochas Man and Christobal have been the best for me, but the coffee is just a component in those. I want it to take center stage sometime! Well, Wood Coffe was NOT he ticket. An overall decent launch, this is more woody and has a somewhat synthetic aura to it.
    I'll have to check out Hanae Mori and Black Vetyver Café soon...

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Spicy Cocoa by Comme des Garçons

I don't wanna be vulgar here but spicy cocoa comes across more as spicy poo-poo to my nose. This really smells fecal, I was feeling sick for 15 minutes after sampling it. What the hell were they thinking??? Yuck.

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

In my honest opinion this is a shameless rip off of Gucci PH. They're 95% the same. Doesn't make things better I wasn't too fond of that one either. Also this one is very ordinary compared to the usual avant-garde style of Cdg, is this really the path Puig has in mind since taking over?
    Thumbs down from the MonkeyMan!

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Only L'Artisan scent I really dislike. I think Timbuktu is too woody and sharp. Also I'm getting extremely fed up with the use of incense in modern scents, it often takes over, dominating the blend, This is certainly evident here. In the same genre I'd pick YSL's excellent Body Kouros instead.

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

I have a great deal of respect for Hedi Slimane, and the updates he's doing for Dior on the olfactory side just feel very good. This guy is no sell-out, he cares about quality and originality the same way Tom Ford did for YSL when launching M7 and Rive Gauche - 2 modern giants.
    This silver woods cologne is a sparkling blend, woody, sweet old but contemporary at the same time. Hard to describe really, just smells awesome!

Cologne Blanche by Christian Dior

Clearly the most mundane of the 3 colognes. Still definitely worth getting, at least discounted. A modern take on kölnisch wasser with a heliotrope side-dish to the usual citrus/herbs melange.

Central Park by Bond No. 9

I think this fragrance actually is called just Central Park. Anyway, I just received a sample of it and I'm thrilled. Its fantastic simply put. Looking at the pyramid I feel a little lost though:

"The world's first fragrance commemorating New York City's grand oasis of greenery.
    Refreshing aroma of dew-fresh basil, verbena and mandarinleaf, bergamot and lime blossom.
    The top notes segue into an intoxicating but not overly sweet floral heart of Bulgarian rose,
    miguet and water jasmine. The comes the mossy-deep-in-the-forest base notes:
    blue cedar, balsa wood, cashmere musk and patchouli."

This sound like a very green scent full of florals, while on my wrist it comes across as a sweet semi-gourmand, but definitely with lots of lovely citrus. Doesn't really matter, this, my first encounter with this brand has been a very positive one!

Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Nice one. Not too sweet, very balanced. According to Paul G at the boards it layers very well with Tea for Two from the same house. Am et to try this combo, but it sure sounds like a good one.

Duel by Annick Goutal

Dare I say I perceive Duel as somewhat "farty". The flatulant notes aside this is a very dry scent, clearly noticeable Iris - unfortunately not in the same nice fashion as in the new Dior Homme. I don't detet any tea here at all - is this supposed to be a tea-fragragrance? Whatever, not appealing at all to my nose.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Rhubarb by Comme des Garçons

Rhubarb notes are very unusal as far as I know, and here you get a clean and natural one. This series is very one-dimensional (as I'm guessing is the purpose) so I think this rhubarb would probably be suitable to layer with other stuff. Maybe he cinnamon from the same line, could become a cool, sweet pie-thing...

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Peppermint by Comme des Garçons

Bottled chewing gum, PASS!

The rhubarb one is nice though. Could probably be layered successfully with
    Mugler's B*men.

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

Generic citrus/woods scent that is hardly worth sampling. Apparently very popular in Russia for some strange reason. Stay away, or at least get the original (red bottle) which has a little more substance.

Cedro / Cedar by Acca Kappa

Standard cedar in cologne form. Just like White Moss this one is terribly weak, but unlike a light musk this becomes more problematic in a wood-based fragrance. Cedro does smell nice but the limited strength doesn't make it purchase-worthy. Love the simple packaging though. This company btw has tons of nice bath - products. Great soaps among other things.

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Top 3 L'Artisan for me and a favourite among many on the boards. To me Passage D'Enfer smells very much like Bulgari Ph, but with 2 important differences- a very well done smokey incense note and some toned down florals. Very mellow though, not a strong scent, highly suited for romantic enterprises I would say. Just like Mechant Loup the name is misleading though, this is no purgatory or passage to hell, this is the passage to making out with that woman or man you've been eyeing for so long ;).

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Very much along the lines of Bulgari Black, Dzing is smokey, semi-sweet and a bit rubbery. This is a more complex fragrance though, I can detect something smelling like cherries and there is that signature sawdust accord. Overall a brilliant launch and as uni-sex as they come. The circus rumours are highly exagerated but I'll be damned if it doesn't have an animalic quality to it. Like so many from this house, this is best worn when in the mood for sweet, sweet love.

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

To feminine for my personal wear, but this truly is one of the most gentle scents I've tried. Like a light fruity caress. Berries done in the way they should be. Haven't tried the concentrated version yet, maybe it's different enough for me to purchase.

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

I wanna start with saying that the Cuiron flacon together with the Kiehl's Musk one are the finest ones in the fragrance world according to my humble taste. The no nonsense clean, apothecary style bottles are what juice should be contained in - always - old school greatness. It doesn't hurt that the fragrance itself is excellent also. A modern take on the classic leathers. This time again with the usual orange/neroli opening but also some semi-sweet plum giving it an almost raisinlike dimension clearly setting it apart. The juice doesn't evolve so much, stays pretty linear and is very heavy on the lovely hide-fumes. I don't think this is uni-sex in the same way as Cuir de Russie or Peau d'Espagne, Cuiron is a MANs fragrance, and a great one at that.

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

Modern CK-garbage. Synthetic grass and woods that last approximately 30 minutes. Avoid at all costs. Like the majority of modern Kleins, the bottle is way to good looking considering what's inside. PASS!

Vetyver by L'Occitane

Probably the only fragrance with that darn grass in the name that I like. I'd say it's the pefect vetiver for people who, well, aren't too fond of - vetiver. Spicy and masculine, very well blended. It's the great balance of the fragrance that prevents the vetiver from taking over too much with the earthy, dirty quality. Many vetiver-fans seem to be searching for just those qualities and I'd say L'Occitane is probably not for them. But for me who HATES Vetiver Extraordinaire, RdV etc it's the perfect choice.

Yatagan by Caron

Okay, where to begin... Let's start by saying that there is a very big ( I estimate it to about 85% ) chance that Yatagan is the most masculine smelling fragrance ever created. Caron's contribution to the 70's madness took things just a liiittle further. Simply put Yatagan smells like a horse. Not just any old horse either, but a musky, power stallion on hormonal overload living in the mountain areas of Tibet working as a lumber transporter of some sorts. This brew is just extreme in a way the kids of today could never grasp. Yatagan is perversely spicy, woody, piney, leathery - it does NOT take prisoners. So if these are the qualities that excite you, look no further, this Caron has Azzaro PH and Polo Green for starters, Paco Rabanne as the main dish and
    even Bois de Portugal for dessert (in terms of it being hardcore - not qualitywise). Do I wear it myself? - I don't think so! Wouldn't even cross my ind, but dissing the ultimate power juice #1 in the world wouldn't either!