Reviews by MonkeyManMatt

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I'm a bit confused since I was sure I'd reviewed this fragrance some time ago... Anyhoo, such an exquisite EdT deserves a second praise. At first I didn't like TfT at all. I perceived it too smokey and sharp. But, as is the case often with the truly great blends, repeated sampling made me realize what a beauty this was. TfT is like a steaming cup of lapsang souchong with plenty of lemon squeezed into it and just the right amount of honey at the bottom of the cup.
    The closest I've come to this sensation of a smell is Nina Ricci's Memoire and that's still miles away.

For me tea for two is the only non-drinkable tea I'll ever need.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Carnation by Comme des Garçons

Nice and pretty linear carnation scent. I don't like that note myself but my father does and he was very satisfied with CdG's take. Like all CdG's the packaging for the red series is flawless.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Shiso by Comme des Garçons

I'm a big sushi and sashimi fan and at one of the better restaurant for this in Stockholm (East) you always receive shiso leaves with your order. It is a strange but pleasant taste and smell, somewhat minty. I must say they captured the essence extremely well in this juice, however it is not something I wish my skin to smell like.

Santos by Cartier

Definitely sharing characteristics with the original Polo (another favourite of mine, especially since we don't have the nasty frat-boy association with it outside of the US) this really is a bad-boy in many senses. It's just very uncompromising in it's less than subtle blend of basil, nutmeg, lavender etc. Not a single ingredient leans towards the fresh, clean spectrum ( except for some hardly noticeable bergamot) and it's definitely in your face. However I continued sampling it and eventually got the shower gel from my girlfriends father who found it to strong(!). Its a classic though and there is definitely something extra about this more than 20 year old chypre...

Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron

Very nice and quite unusal. If it resembles anything I'd say Lorenzo Villoresi's Musk but with a very strong violet and lilac character. Powdery and somewhat feminine, but not overtly. Just a fine example of an ambigous classic in french perfumery. Personally I do find the flacon a tad tacky though...

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

Just tried it for the first time and the resemblance to the green big brother is evident. A bit more refined and suitable for more occasions I guess. Since I love the original it's hard to not like this one as well. And I do agree that it is a hybrid between Polo and Safari, RCavs put it very well.

Pi by Givenchy

Sticky, sugary and ridiculously strong vanilla juice that is very popular globally. As always with sillage-monsters it is all in the application. Stick to 1-3 spritzes, up that and you'll make yourself or EVERYONE else sick. The orignal juice is waaaay better than the blue fraiche version launched later - that one smells extremely artificial.

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

Avant-garde and probably the most abstract fragrance ever created. I guess that that in itself deserves some credit. CdG did push the limits with this and the other one (71), and seen as little pieces of art or installations they are very cool. One of the best looking bottles for sure. However I find them completely unwearable. Maybe I can't "think outside the box" sufficiently, I don't care, I really don't want to smell like dust on a lightbulb when I'm riding the metro.

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Not a personal favourite - but great craft nevertheless. Truly very green, has almost a vegetable feeling to it. Maybe I should rephrase that on second thought, vegetal is probaly more correct. Dry and green, and unlike Zhoya it lasts all day on my skin.

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

What can I say, another brilliant offering from the house that is my absolute favourite. Warm, woody and with that strong initial hazelnut blast that can be found only in Mechant Loup. The drydown actually has a lot in common with Passage D'Enfers. That same organic, slightly sweetly smoky and floral vibe. These fragrances all put me in such a nice, relaxed mood. But as the ever eccentric Baron de Charlus pointed out, this is hardly a big bad wolf, rather a feel-good squirrel with a huge hazelnut-stash.

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

Maybe my sample was bad or something but I can't relate to all the glowing reviews on this juice. To me it's a competent, spice and woods mix with sharp lavender and herbs. Very eigthties mood to it. The bottle has been replaced and the juice is now presented in the same clean looking transparent bottle as it's siblings PuH and Yatagan.

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan Parfumeurs take on the classic cologne was bound to be original, as everything else they do. And of course it is. Just like Bwp pointed out L'Eau de L'Artisan is indeed very grassy. It smells fresh and lasts for ages (especially for a edc). Top notch, as expected.

L'Anarchiste by Caron

This is perhaps the only fragrance that I haven't made up my mind about after years of exposure. I tried it in the States first and I thought it was a bad joke, I thought it smelled like old tobacco in a rusty bucket with rotten orange peels... Later on I got a sample of it from Mark (MJH) and I kind of enjoyed it. Now however I'm sceptical again. I most honestly say, pointing out there is a lot of niche stuff i haven't tried yet, that this is the most original and strange commercial fragrance I have ever tried. As much as I deeply respect the fine noses of this community I find it weird, almost disturbing,that so many love this one here! It's sooo strange. I've studied it's pyramid many times and I find some key notes missing. To me this sucker is entirely about: Orange zest, incredibly strong tobacco, mint/menthol, some very weird metallic "rusty" note and heavy, dirty musks. I have the feeling I 'll never quite "get" this scent...

Knize Ten by Knize

Strikingly modern and a great way to understand more recent launches like Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia, Bulgari Black or even L'Artisans Dzing!
    Knize Ten isn't terribly complex, but it was the first to explore the lovely relationship between leather, vanilla and amber. Somewhat sweet, uni-sex but leaning to the masculine side, and simply a very pleasant wear.

JHL by Aramis

JHL has a great deal in common with Creed's Acier Aluminium and I guess it's no surprise they were launched almost simultaneously. It has that decadent old-world smell, which is extremely rare in american perfumery. I can swear there is some dirty civet lurking in there. This is the #1 fragrance for many on the boards and I can certainly see why. Warm, spicy oriental, they don't make 'em like this anymore.

Havana by Aramis

Nice but perhaps not as earthshaking as some of the reviews suggest. Aramis is actually very reminiscent of the original Sergio Tachini. If you've smellt that one, imagine it with a strong tobacco base instead and you'll get the picture. Superb sillage and duration though.

Feeling Man by Jil Sander

Unusual Sander juice that for some reason reminds me strongly of my familys country-house on the coast. It is hard to cathegorize but I'd say Feeling is a sweet aquatic with a moist, earthy base. Original and cool, like the others pointed out extremely hard to find unfortunately.

Eau de Caron Forte by Caron

These words actually concern the pure version- which isn't yet featured in the directory. Geir Ness immediately comes to mind when sniffing Eau de Caron Pure. Same type of sparkling, white floral freshness, but done masculinely here as well. Also it's good to see that Caron, home of 2 of great powerhouses - Yatagan and 3rd Man, has some contemporary offerings to. A keeper.

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

Ordered this blind and quickly traded it away. Very Diptyque-ish in terms of composition. Smells like an incredibly strong christmas potpourri. High quality fragrance no doubt, but sometimes more isn't more. There are just too many different types of spices here and the end result becomes bitter, very medicinal. Strong hay note as well, just like in Villoresi's Yerbamate, not half as pleasant here unfortunately. Not for me.

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

Really has a strong noticeable ink note like the pyramid says and it is definitely well balanced in terms of uni-sex-ness. 2 does smell original no doubt, and has achieved large sucess in Sweden for being so avant-garde. However something prevents me from loving it like with so many other Comme de Garcons fragrances. The is something disharmonic, industrial about it. I'm sure that is the whole point, but can't digest it myself.

Casran by Chopard

Casran is a nice but not outstanding fragrance from the bling-bling experts at Chopard. It's similar to a dozen things on the market and really isn't half as gourmand as the pyramid indicates. Buy it if you get a good deal, otherwise don't.

Bel Ami by Hermès

Loved big time by most basenoters, Bel Ami just isn't for me. Watching the pyramid + adding the strong leather it should be close to the fragrance of my dreams but it isn't. It smells stuffy and dated to me, If in the mood for smoke, check out Eaud de Fier or Bulgari Black instead. Bel Ami is very unknown in my country, which is great - cause frankly I think I'd be sick if I was on a bus or subway with someone wearing this. The only Hermès I clearly dislike.

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

Stylish 40's packaging and decent linear lavender scent with herbal elements, terribly weak though. Has that typical mossy base that can be found in most of the really old gentlemen's colognes.

Prada (new) by Prada

Already worn by lots of men, this fragrance is presented in a very stylish heavy, rectangular glass-flacon. It is indeed mainly an amber scent, just like Serpent pointed out, but the beginning smells awfully fruity, at least to me. Also I do find it a tad too girlie for personal wear but I'd love to smell it on my girlfriend. It must be said though, that for such a prestige-couture house this launch is somewhat dissapointingly mundane...

Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum by Helmut Lang

Similar to the mens version but stronger, naturally. Very well suited for layering with the edc, that blend becomes more than just the sum of it's parts. Wonderfully ambigous and decadent, the ultimate MUSK -ride.

Basic Instinct by Van Gils

Van Gils feeble attempt to cash in on the Acqua di Gio bandwagon. As much as I dislike that Armani, it is miles better qualitywise than this cheap copy. Just another good looking bottle with utterly pointless contents.

Between Sheets by Van Gils

Very generic neroli/vanilla mix. Same style as Roma, Minotaure etc, but inferior. For some reason Van Gils fragrances are very popular here in Sweden, I don't know why since they're decent at best. This company makes nice shirts and should stick to that, raincheck Between Sheets and the rest!

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

Although I really enjoy the smell of this oldie I, can't help to think it's better suited for the ladies. I was given a generous sample of it at Skins in Amsterdam (one of the worlds finest fragrance stores, IMO) and the friendly sales-woman said she loved the smell of this on men. So I gave L'Ombre dans L'Eau many wearings. I will say it contains the perhaps purest, most lovely rose I've ever experienced in liquid form. And maybe it's this strong floral character that makes me a little uncertain of it's masculine appropriateness. It shares a similar blackcurrant accord with Creed's Silver Mountain Water, making it very fresh and crisp. Probably the perfect scent for a 25-30 year old professional woman during spring and early summer. However not very unisex at all.

L'Autre by Diptyque

Most certainly the premier atrocity of the fragrance world. This is the most putrid, reeking, sweat-infused brew of nasty BO one could ever imagine. Cumin-overload, words cannot describe the horrors contained in the stylish graphic bottle. This could be used as some kind of chemical weapon for sure. Horrendous. Surrealistically vile. An absolute abomination.

Jules by Christian Dior

Jules suffers from that 80's thickness that is just too much. Like Drakkar Noir, the original Van gils etc, Jules is very uncompromising in it's herbal, dry and arid composition. I do enjoy the leathery basenotes that are perfect, overall it's a very high quality scent. It's just to extreme in its dark, woody ruggedness, let some light in please...