Reviews by monochromatism

Manoumalia by LesNez

Warm, sweet, and a little bitter. I dig it.

25 February, 2009

Pure Grace by Philosophy

Let me begin by saying that I never thought I would ever like a fragrance like Pure Grace. I don't like soapy smells, and I was just against "clean" smells in general. I dislike Amazing Grace. And yet, I love Pure Grace. I wear it everyday. Not only is it completely inoffensive, but it smells clean in a way that is intoxicating. It doesn't smell like a fragrance or a soap really, more like warm, washed, wet skin. Is that weird? Maybe it's the jasmine. I hug my boyfriend, and he won't let go because he says I smell so good. I really couldn't love it more.

30th October, 2008

L'Antimatière by LesNez

It smells like air is the best thing I can come up with, which doesn't mean what it should.

It's like going outside in winter and breathing in really hard. Or it's almost like accidentally getting water up your nose in the pool. That's the, nose-feel of it. It's not snow, it's not water, it's not leaves, it's not wood on fire... I'm not sure what it is, but it's none of those things. If someone has a word for what I'm describing, by all means, help me out.

It should be noted that it smells exactly like band-aids in the first few minutes, which is sort of off-putting. That sweet adhesive smell disappears within 30 minutes to an hour, I think.

I like it. It's interesting; I'm just not sure what it is.

22 May, 2008

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I really want to like this fragrance, but there's something so sneezy about it. And whenever I wear it, I get a headache within 3 minutes, without fail.

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Sharp and green and smoky. An unforgettable fragrance for a man or a woman. Mysterious, in that your neighbor will definitely not own a similar scent, and people will want to figure out what you're wearing.

I couldn't decide between Fumerie Turque and Chene for a few months, because they're both nice. Fumerie Turque is a safer choice for women, but Chene is a bit more interesting.

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Wonderfully smoky, enveloping fragrance. Like Chene, but sweeter.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

While I think I would enjoy it more if it were slightly less sweet on the dry-down, I really like this scent. I prefer it in colder weather, unlike a previous reviewer. There's a tang to it that makes it feel modern.

22 October, 2006

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

It was love at first spray for me. I completely saturated a test strip and shoved it into my bag sheepishly so that I could run home and shut it tightly in a drawer to sniff at my leisure. At $80 a bottle, I can only afford a sample right now. Anyway, after reading the notes, I find it even more funny that it first reminded me of french toast.

22 October, 2006

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I'm very literally allergic to something in this perfume. I'm not sure what it is, as I have no other allergies, but this perfume makes my head feel cloudy and dizzy, and NOT in a good way. I do like the scent, but my body doesn't!

09 October, 2006

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

So many negative reviews here, but this scent never fails to make me feel sexy. I find it's as good at the first drink of the night in lifting my spirts. Very strong, and definitely lingers until the next day, which is something I find pleasant... a nice remembrance of the night before :)

09 October, 2006

DKNY Red Delicious by Donna Karan

At first, I didn't think I liked Red Delicious, but now I find myself smelling my wrists throughout the day when I wear it. It's one of those scents that, after the dry-down, it smells like a part of the skin, making people wonder if I naturally smell that way. Perhaps I'm very plebeian, but I like and would wear it every day as a "day" scent.

Pacific Paradise by Escada

It smells like pineapple candy, and only last about a half hour on me. If it weren't so sweet, I think I might like it.

Oscar Bamboo by Oscar de la Renta

I smell melon, green tea, and a bit of something dirty, can't put my finger on it. A nice summer fragrance.

Le Roy Soleil by Salvador Dali

I got this as a gift from an employer who went to Paris, maybe 10 years ago. I am so in love with it, but I heard it was discontinued. All I have left is some residue. I can't find it anywhere, and no one has ever heard of it. Can anyone tell me the notes in it? I am completely inconsolable, and the only place I could find it was on a rip-off perfume site, where I was sure it wasn't real. What to do, what to do??

Coco by Chanel

I was surprised by how much I loved this fragrance. My only experience with Chanel had with with No. 5, which I did not like at all - I found it completely vulgar. Coco is complex, and after an hour or so, it reminds me of a smoldering fire. I'll definitely save up for a bottle to use in the winter when I'm feeling bold.

Romance by Ralph Lauren

There's an antiseptic quality about it, almost hurts my nose. It's like huffing a big squirt of lysol. Not pleasant.

28 April, 2006