Reviews by Dorian Gray

Flash Back by Olfactive Studio

Terrestrial d'Rhubarb

Nice scent, I like the touch of rhubarb but it is far too reminiscent of Terre d'Hermes to make it a worthwhile buy. A sauver Red Vet

Pros: Nice Vetiver
Cons: Too Hermes"

23rd August, 2013

Lumière Blanche by Olfactive Studio

Bang! Without the bang

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]Bang! Without the bang. Skin scent but then I do have a problem with white musk

Pros: 'enveloping'
Cons: Can't smell it!"

16th August, 2013

Private Collection - Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale

Oh dear I thought on application, but it definitely grows on you. It smells of honey though I dont see it mentioned. Herbal spicy tea with a large dollop of honey or a boiling cup of honey Lemsip.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to smell of Lemsip, but it's warm and very reassuring
24th March, 2011

Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man by Byredo

I do really like this, but along with Montale's Red Vetiver, I find it too similar to Terre d'Hermes to justify owning a bottle. That said, I bought it anyway! Its a more citrusy Terre designed as a trad cologne ( with 10x the staying power I hasten to add ) while R V is a bit deeper and richer
01st March, 2011

Vetiver 46 by Le Labo

Starts off quite unlike any other vetiver, maybe a combination with patchoullli. Very nice, very strong and develops to a smoky hay but then becomes familiar.
I think the drydown is very similar to Encre Noire; sweet, smoky with a touch of incense. Given it's powerful opening though I think I actually prefer it to the Lalique in all but price
04th December, 2010

Yuzu Fou by Parfum d'Empire

Smells like a more potent modern retake on Eau Sauvage with a dose of tropical fruit thrown in. Excellent animal citrus The great thing is its just as good as E S though I wonder whether I need both.
20th August, 2010

Daphne by Daphne Guinness

Take the Kouros type notes from ELO Rien and youre left with Daphne. Both have amazing longevity and linger days after.
05th August, 2010

Héritage by Guerlain

I have to agree with MysteryBuff40. I have 2 formulations of Heritage and they are like two totally different scents. Initially I even preferred the latest version (tall bottle), it is much more in your face at first. However the older one (squat bottle, above) is much more subtle and develops as classic Guerlains tend to.
After a few wears the new formulation gets quite irritating. I dont know what Guerlain have done to it, but the drydown seems CHEAP. Obviously theyve taken out a lot of the quality materials and left a scent that goes nowhere. Shame, cos it used to be a classic. Ill be selling my new bottle forthwith!
03rd August, 2010

Knize Ten by Knize

Like a frogman with a leather stetson and chaps wearing washing up gloves under the bonnet of an old car. That said its quite intriguing, like Bulgari Black an Quorum on steroids. I like it but sadly it reminds me too much of the smell of a used condom.
21st July, 2010

Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire

I seem to be creating a collection of 'curry' scents. I love Indian food, and now it seems, I want to smell like it. So Ive added this to a selection of Eau Noire, L'Autre, Serge Noire and Declaration. Seems I cant get enough of cumin or imortelle.
I get a slightly boozy rum accord from FB, very thick and rich and if I was to compare it Id choose Sables with a bit of added sweetness, but not too much.
19th July, 2010

L'Autre by Diptyque

Declaration squared to the power of 10. I have Declaration on one arm and L'Autre on the other and the cumin note is quite similar but Dec is more muted while L'Autre is clearer, sharper and IMO fresher despite the many armpit comparisons. A great take on the scent of an Indian bazaar (bizarre) which I love the smell of, with no cloying or heavy notes to bog it down.
25th June, 2010

Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi

The love child of Etro Heliotrope and Habit Rouge. Like icing sugar to be applied to the Xmas log. I definitely get the snow reference and this is assuredly powdery and bursting with vanilla. Maybe a little like custard powder, but in a good way as I keep wanting to sniff my arm whence it lies.
03rd June, 2010

Geisha Hana-Cha by Aroma M

Its strong, but reminiscent of something I cant put my finger on. Starts with a loud floral blast and does seem to go through various changes. At one point it seemed to swerve in and out of a Tsar/ Bmen phase and toy with leather and oil but just when I started to like it, the jasmine turned a little screechy. It lingered a long time but sadly in a harsh way.
26th May, 2010

Art of Perfumery No.7 by Art of Perfumery

A pleasant summery scent, very gentle like an icecream shop. Vanilla and fruity flavours come through. No sorbets here, the pure creamy variety. While it would smell better on a woman it wouldnt seem out of place on a man. A young innocent fragrance, but not cheap with no harshness. More like private Swiss schools and holidays in Monaco.
13th February, 2010

L'Antimatière by LesNez

OK if someone gave me a bottle or it was going cheap, Id wear it and it has definitely got something. No top notes, and a very vague but pleasant drydown though reminiscent of Marc O Polo Midsummer which Im sure is a 10th of the price (and stronger).
However on top of this scent I did get a vey pleasant laundry smell wafting around every now and again. It got me smelling my shirt, but no it must have been this scent. I get the Molecule 01 comparison which too is more interesting than buyable.
02nd February, 2010

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Loved it. Definitely get the peshwari naan comparison. Its all fruitcake and Christmas. However, there are a few Lutens' that become vaguely irritating once the topnotes have subsided and this is one of them.
I see it as the 'Feminitie du bois effect'. Dont know if it's a reaction with my skin or the use of the same base, but these and Daim Blond all turn a bit astringent. Almost a hint of ammonia, high pitched and annoying. Shame, though its more palatable and definitely long lasting when sprayed on fabric.
Still just about positive compared to the usual fare though.
05th December, 2009

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Initially I gave this 5 stars, it was one of my favourites and I rushed out to buy 2 bottles. It's definitely distinctive and stands out head and shoulders from the rest of the high street clones. However Im now selling both of them.
I realised I had a problem with it when I got Lutens' Borneo and thought, nice except the annoying chocolate bit that reminds me of A*men. Then I tried the new Malt version and had to scrub it off. So I went back to A*men, and yes my tastes have changed.
Imagine a riotous party. You wake with a terrible hangover next to an ashtray and somebody's been sick on the carpet next to you. That's A*men, and however hard you try to scrub it off it lingers ad nausea. You just have to ride it out til hangover subsides. Synthetic and sickly though without doubt an original.
05th December, 2009

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

There's a slight spiciness to Obsession which I like and it is certainly better than most. However it smells like a good fragrance fighting to be smelt amid too many cheap ingredients. I like sweet, but this ones a bit cloying; it took a while to pinpoint what it resembled and then I realised: Talc. It smells like talcum powder.
Ill give it a neutral though Im even tempted by a positive as it is probably better than most of the other CKs
03rd September, 2009

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

Think I prefer it to the original. At first sniff I thought it was a ripoff of Cartier Declaration, but in drydown the pepper and then the incense come to the fore. Very long lasting and maybe something in common with the excellent Eau Noire, its hard not to keep catching a whiff of it and thinking , hmmmm....
01st September, 2009

Unforgivable by Sean John

Unforgivable...... Precisely.
12th August, 2009

La Cologne Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Good top notes, a barbershop quartet singing from the classic songbook of Sauvage, Monsieur de Givenchy and Guerlain E D C Imperiale, but unfotunately it made the Imperiale seem long lasting and had diminished to a sweet sweaty smell before you could say, "One hour".

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Hmmm, used to love this one but by 90ml had to (Gucci) rush to the end of the bottle. A year later I have another 100ml in my possession and kind of appreciate it but dont know if I can wear it any longer. A case of amber overexposure. Its original, churchy and dry......very dry....and then some more.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Tried it a few times on paper and wasnt too impressed, much prefered Heritage. It was OK and one to purchase if found cheaply. Then I did find it going for a song and after wearing it for a day realised it is a scent only fully appreciated when worn on skin. The changes are immense: from an eau sauvage opening it morphs to a Monsieur de Givenchy and via Gentleman it settles into a trad Jicky/Shalimar vanilla icecream with a bit of incense thrown in....Amazing! And it morphs all day

Blue Jeans by Versace

It was cheap so I bought it. It was boring so I sprayed it on every day. Only for work. I ducked a lot so it would miss me. Then it was gone. Thank God.