Reviews by audrey

audrey's avatar
    audrey
    Germany Germany

Narcisse Noir by Caron

I'm all thrilled, as Narcisse Noir worked in a wonderful way on my skin, the way L'Heure Bleue, never did. It is mostly roses on sandalwood, with a bit of vetiver and musk in the drydown. Violets in the background the whole evening. Orange blossom is there, but somehow not dominating. Innocent at the beginning, in a "Archer's&Lemonade" sort of way, it gets really mysterious and sensual. There is also a certain coldness to this scent, like it's never really warming up from the skin, but stays distant. Teasing is the word. It's not coquiette, its temptiation.
    I might be influenced through my memories of a Dashiell Hammett, or maybe Chandler? novel, where the detective comes to a hotel to meet a woman, and first thing he thinks is,"she wears Narcisse Noir", and gets all suspicious. And interested. A woman like her must have a mystery, some dark secret he has to find out. So it's not 1911 that comes to mind, to me it's a quintessence of the "noir" genre, with high heels, pencil skirt and red lipstick; a femme fatale scent.

24 April, 2006

Flowing for Women by Puma

I am quite surprised about Puma fragrances - it's not necessarily the beauty brand in my mind. But their scents are enjoyable, although maybe not original enough. Flowing is a soft floral chypre with notes of rasberry, plum, mandarin, jasmin, viola on a base of sandalwood. It is quite similar to Lacoste for Women, so it might be a less aexpensive alternative. It is simpler, doesn't change much, but has a better lasting power. I can imagine it to be an easy going everyday scent, charming and unpretentious.

18 April, 2006

Silences by Jacomo

Elegant floral chypre, feels like a happy marriage between Coco Chanel and Diva Ungaro,though both came some years later, but more fresh, green and less loud. The name, the black bottle and the general feeling are quite melancholic, but not in a depressing way, rather serene and calm. A definite classic, it goes smoothly through the notes, giving a somewhat powdered woody drydown.

01st April, 2006

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

It's one of Eleena's masterpieces:angelica, juniper berries, coriander,musk and cedar. Clear, fresh and aristocratic, it's almost too subtle and fades away very fast. But that's the only fault of this otherwise beautiful unisex fragrance.

18 March, 2006

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

As it was released earlier, it clears the question of who copied. I find that the 2005 Moschino Cheap&Chic I love love is very very similar to Eclat. Doesn't make me cry, for both are gorgeous clear musky florals with green citrucy note on top.Eclat is slightly lilac, and ILL is more grapefruit.

15 March, 2006

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

Ok, it's quite good, the bottle is lovely. But if you have a certain expectations when you see that lilac color, there is no surprise - you get what you expect. Which is sort of disappointing for there are so many violet bottles/scents around. It's mainstream, that's the problem.
    To me it's a lighter version of Alien, so I guess if you like heavy jasmine, with honey and vanilla on the bottom, it's worth a try ("Alien goes classic"). The orange note at the beginning is too fastgoing to really influence the whole impression.

08 March, 2006

Nouvelle Edition Figue Amere by Miller Harris

Very nice green figue, like a "fig at the sea", standing really apart from other fig scents that I know. The drydown smells like myhhr(well, it smells like in a church), don't know why. It must be cedar-amber combination.Worth trying.

08 March, 2006

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I definitely like the figs, the milky almond and the remaints of lime (very subtle on my skin).
    What I don't like  :-[ is the coconut. Not for me.
    But it's a great scent...for someone else :'( :'( :'(

26 February, 2006

Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Smells wonderful of hot chocolate, but without the toffee seetness. I'm quite amazed that a chocolate scents can stay frsh and light!I guess it's the star fruit which lightens it up.

26 February, 2006

Mimosa Pour Moi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Smells almost like a real flower. Quite sweet, but fresh, not very longlasting. To me it lacked some intrigue, but it's a nice everyday scent with no pretence.

19 February, 2006

Love In Paris by Nina Ricci

*roses,peony,green of violet,apricot,star anise,jasmine,musk, wood, vanilla. Al lovely floral fruity scent, light and charming. I had my doubts at first, the scent seemed to be too ordinary, sort of perfume shop smell, but then when I went out, it turned out it's just quite sensitive and subtle. Reminds me of Lalique by Lalique. And peach iced tea :-) It won't become my darling, but good for bad mood days! Also like the bottle-a clear glass slightly irregular rectangle, sort of modern but classic.

11th February, 2006

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Tried it a couple of days ago, and my coat still smells of it...arghhh! It's like an alien invasion! not my taste as too loud, too sweet, too straightforward. no complexity here, just plain.basically, I agree with Tropical_Storm.

10th February, 2006

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I've tried EdT and Perfume Oil, they are quite different. The Oil is quite cool, because one can be really selective in applying, it is softer, warmer and sweeter than EdT- which reminded me strongly of Yohji Essential. I find NRfH is a sexy musk scent, but it could be intruding when overdone. Nothing for the office; I'll save it for romance, as my boyfriend absolutely adored it!

10th February, 2006