Reviews by LittleMissWrite

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Cuir Mauresque is a gorgeous spicy and smooth leather fragrance. There's a hint of smokiness and the orange blossom keeps it from feeling heavy. It's divine on a cold winter's day and is fast becoming one of my favourite leather and comfort scents.

15 December, 2009

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

One of my earliest memories was of my gran giving me little lavender pillows to put inside drawers to keep my clothes smelling fresh. As a little girl, I loved the relaxing scent of it. As I got older, my elderly relatives kept buying me lavender scented soaps which were all vile. Soon, I began to hate the stuff. I recently overcame my hatred and tried Gris Clair. I fell in love with it immediately - I love the cool lavender opening and the smokiness. It reminds me of being in my parents' garden plucking fresh lavender in the summer, yet also makes me think of crisp winter's days, especially the smokiness of Bonfire Night. I find Gris Clair soothing in the way that most lavender-scented products are, yet this is a realistic portrayal of freshly crushed lavender. I love its coolness and the almost-metallic note. It is a slightly more masculine scent, but I adore wearing it and find it oddly comforting.

10th December, 2009

154 by Jo Malone

This is the first of Jo Malone's fragrances that I've loved - most are too sweet and fruity for my tastes, but 154 is a gorgeous unisex cologne. I love the citrus opening, then the cool herbal notes of lavender and basil. The drydown is mainly vetiver with a dash of patchouli on me, and the whole scent is delicious. Sadly, like most Malone's, the longevity isn't great - I can get between 6 and 8 hours out of a couple of sprays whereas a lot of other scents can last 18-24 hours on me.

09 December, 2009

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I seem to be one of the lucky few that doesn't get the mushrooms - my skin seems to bring out the violet and jasmine before settling down into a lovely soft musky skin scent. Dans Tes Bras reminds me of how my skin smells when I've been outside in summer - maybe a trace of suncream but mainly sun-warmed skin.

I find it lovely and comforting, especially on a wet winter's day and can't wait to try it in summer.

11th November, 2009

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I have only tried the reformulated EdP but I adore it. On my skin, Fracas is a beautiful, creamy fragrance. The jasmine and tuberose are gorgeously rich, but the brightness of orange blossom just shines through, stopping the florals from being cloying. On me, Fracas is almost a comfort scent. I feel glamorous and extremely feminine when I wear it, whether it's at a party or just lazing in bed. It's a beautiful, decadent perfume.

05 August, 2009

Bandit by Robert Piguet

I have only tried the reformulated EdP version, but I love Bandit. My skin seems to pick out white florals in most fragrances, so with Bandit I get a beautiful combination of jasmine and leather, mixed with tuberose and patchouli. It is the perfume equivalent of wearing a pretty floral dress with a vintage leather jacket. I don't get any of the sweaty, ashtray smells that other reviewers did, just a fragrance that is beautiful and reckless.

05 August, 2009

Voile de Fleur by Tom Ford

I tried this before the original Black Orchid and I adore both. Viole de Fleur makes me feel sexy in a sweeter, more feminine way than the original. I'm not overly fond of white florals but this has enough depth and richness to make me love it. I fell in love with this fragrance at first sniff, something which rarely happens. I find this is perfect to wear during the day in winter or on cooler evenings throughout the year.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I was initially anxious about trying this. I'd heard it described as Voile de Fleur's older, more depraved sister. I love Viole de Fleur - it's dark but prettily feminine - and was curious to try the original.

I love it - it's one of my favourite fragrances. I fell in love with it immediately. I was swept away by the deliciousness of Black Orchid. On my skin, the creaminess of noir gourmand and vanilla tears show through quite early and perfectly complement the earthiness of the black truffle. On me, Black Orchid is warm yet mysteriously sexy. It is the only scent I own which causes my male friends to hover around me telling me how amazing I smell.

Whereas Voile de Fleur makes me want to drink intoxicating cocktails in a glamorous bar wearing a pretty dress and heels, Black Orchid makes me want to roll around on silk sheets and velvet bedspread with a tall, dark, handsome man. It is sex in a bottle.

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

My mum has worn L'Air du Temps for as long as I can remember. On her, it is a gorgeous, comforting floral. Just smelling it makes me feel like I am 8 years old again, being hugged by my mum after falling over. A few months ago, I tried it out on myself and unfortunately it did not work. On me, L'Air du Temps smells heavy and cloying and gives me an instant headache.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Another fragrance worn by my mum for as long as I can remember. I never liked Anais Anais, it always smelled powdery and reminded me of the horrible floral soaps my gran used to buy.