Reviews by Jack Hunter

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

A very light and subdued vanilla and almond scent with a hint of cherry. The problem with this fragrance is the main notes need to be more amplified as the scent sits very quiet on the skin.

The fragrance smells out of focus and unfinished, when you smell it you want it to be more bold and have that extra something but it just fades away without leaving a good impression.
20th October, 2016

Les Déserts d'Orient - Songe d'un Bois d'Été by Guerlain

Well who would have thought that Guerlain would come out in this day and age with a dirty leathery spicy fragrance done for a gentleman. On first application I get the cumin body odor fragrance mixed in with a leathery woody oud and saffron. The jasmine is used wonderfully to tame the beast so it puurrss and does not growl on your skin.lol

I get the associations with Dior Leather Oud, but this has been created in a more classy way. The scent is very sensual and intimate, the balance between the dark notes is offset well with the floral jasmine.

As time goes by and the spicy cumin note settles down and this scent just gets better and better. It goes into full seduction mode, the oud, leather and floral touched myrrh does smell like you could don suit and become a Lothario for the night.

I would say this fragrance is for the gentleman who wants to attract the ladies. Very well done!
26th September, 2016

Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient by Guerlain

This feels very fresh when first sprayed on, it's like you have soaked rose petals in water left it for a while and then sprayed it on. It's not overwhelming as the incense quickly follows which smells like white musk and then I can pick up the ambergris. The ambergris smells slightly
sweet and salty.

The scent is very ethereal and feels watery on the skin as you have a light shimmering effect of light rose, incense and ambergris. It smells very plush and is so well balanced, no note feels bold or overwhelming. Everything is light and airy, imagine a breeze coming your way with a sweet, salty rose just caressing your senses.

After a while you can pick up other notes within the mystical like breeze of a scent like saffron and Patchouli. All this is tightly weaved in a ethereal fashion smelling very classy and plush, you could imagine a Arabian princess wearing this.

A very beautiful fragrance and worthy of praise.
25th September, 2016

Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford

A light and softer version of Tuscan leather with the raspberry note been replaced with a floral sweetness. Very nice.
24th September, 2016

A Midsummer Dream by Roja Dove

On the opening I get a refreshing blast of bergamot and grapefruit and then a lot of elmi resin. This resin smells like light honey, lemon and pine and the scent has a light candy like sweetness but not too much. After a while I can pick up on some light floral's that weave in and out of the scent as well as some woods. Now this fragrance is nothing spectacular or wow I have to have this but it is quite nice.

The quality of the ingredients is top notch as you come to expect from Roja Dove and this scent does have a dreamy quality to it's nature. So all in all I find this scent to be pleasant.
23rd September, 2016

Ambre Éternel by Guerlain

At the start I get a fresh ambergris and incense that quickly becomes spicy. At this stage the scent smells medicinal like you are in a hospital waiting for the doctor. Underneath this there is something foody trying to peak out under the medicinal spicy ambergris.

After a while I can smell the leather and woods but over that there is this warm sweetness mixing in with the ambergris. It smells like some sweet desert that is cooking and just slightly becoming burnt. So if you can imagine a sweet leathery salty ambergris that is spicy and medicinal, and imagine that concoction been heated then that is this fragrance.

I have to say it's quite exotic but just not my cup of tea.
10th September, 2016

Néroli Outrenoir by Guerlain

Off the top I get a lot of petitgrain with a surge of bergamot which is followed by a smoky mix of tea and myrhh. After a while when the scent takes to the air it suddenly opens up and I can smell the neroli within the mix. At this stage it does smell very nice and enchanting, imagine smoky tea notes mixing in with neroli and earthy myrhh. I can see what Thierry Wasser was trying to do offsetting the neroli note with smoky tea and myrhh notes.

Also I think he has captured the tea note quite beautifully, you can smell the bitter and smoky aspect. And when this mixes in with the neroli it's quite lovely. I think how much you love the tea accord is going to determine how much you like this one. For me I love it.

For me on my skin the tea and smoky earthy notes are more dominant than the neroli. And that's why to my nose I perceive it more on the masculine side, definitely unisex though. Talking about the neroli note I find it more subdued and that it takes a backseat to the smoky earthy tea accord. Though when it makes itself known it is quite lovely.

Though the neroli comes through more when the smoky earthy tea notes calm down a bit. But this is not a full bodied dominant neroli scent, it's more subtlety weaved providing a contrast to the other notes. Very nice fragrance.
01st September, 2016

Shaving Shop by Taylor of Old Bond Street

This fragrance does have a nice light whisky smell on the opening which gives way to the smell of limes. From here I can smell lots of lime, green moss and shaving cream. As time moves forward I can smell a hint of floral's and herbs. Eventually it gets woodier in the drydown and starts to remind me a bit of Carven Homme.

This scent is quite delightful and smells quite original, have not smelled its like before. As it's a barbershop fragrance you can use it as a body spray and never be afraid you have overdone it.

To sum up a wonderful barbershop fragrance that smells of light whisky, limes and green moss with a hint of shaving cream and it gets woodier in the far drydown.. Very nice indeed!
26th July, 2016

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

A very nice fresh scent with the sweet smell of fig. Whats also nice is the light green accord like your smelling the stem of a plant. It goes very nicely with the fresh sweet smell.
14th July, 2016

Eton College Collection by Taylor of Old Bond Street

On first application with this fragrance you get the smell of lemon and oranges with the glorious smell of neroli. You can tell they are using real oils in this scent as it smells fantastic.

These citrus notes then become more masculine with a hint of Patchouli in the mix. Which is soon joined by light woods and musk.

I have to say it's a simple fragrance but quite addictive. I'm quite smitten with this scent. It's a very barbershop scent as it was intended to be but quite good as well.

Simplicity done very well!
09th July, 2016 (last edited: 16th July, 2016)

Cologne Intense by Houbigant

Off the top I can smell lemon citrus with lavender mixed in with a strong earthy spice/herb. This herbal element really does ground the scent from becoming too citrusy. It's a little astringent in a earthy leafy way and contrasts well with the citrus and lavender. I think this note must be the Tarragon.

Behind these notes I can pick up a soft floral note which just shows itself every so often behind the dominating herbal accord. It does get stronger and I'm sure it's neroli or Jasmine maybe both.

The scent is very well blended and crafted and quite complex. If you like green citrus herbal earthy fragrances that is gently softened by a floral & neroli accords then you will like this. Thumbs up from me, I like it.
16th May, 2016

East India by Beaufort London

It smells like wood lacquer mixed in with peat from a compost heap, really horrid fragrance. One of the worst smelling scents I have ever smelled. They have also had to change the name of this one to "Vi et Armis".
26th April, 2016

T. Habanero by Rania J

The opening to this scent is a little challenging with what smells like sweet Cambodian oud and dark tobacco. After a while it starts to smell quite nice with the sweet Cambodian oud mixing in with the fermented like dark tobacco. I used to have a bottle of real sweet Cambodian oud and recognised the smell almost immediately whilst smelling this fragrance.

After a while the incense can be smelled and the scent becomes soft and spicy and quite pleasant. Cannot help think that this scent would make a great aftershave than a Edp.
22nd April, 2016

Rose Ishtar by Rania J

On first application you get a sweet watery red rose fragrance with a patchouli emerging not long after. This makes the rose smell like a old Victorian rose fragrance where the added patchouli gives it a earthy austere like smell. Though the sweetness does eventually soften this aspect.

Eventually the sweet jammy like rose note does start to get a bit powdery in the dry-down.

Oud Assam by Rania J

Lol.... A fresh cheesy citrus like barnyard smell assaults you on the opening. The oud does smell real and not synthetic even though it is hard to like. Smelling this in a western fragrance is kind of strange and you cannot help been repelled a bit by the smell.

After a while the cheesy barnyard aspect dies down and a cedar and vetiver note appears helping take the edge off the unpleasant aspect of the oud.

Eventually the scent transforms into a fresh woody and incense dominated oud fragrance making the scent more bearable.

If you like challenging oud fragrances then you will love the opening though for the rest of us just wait until the drydown.

Jasmin Kâma by Rania J

On application you get a quick burst of fresh sweet like bergamot followed by a animalic dirtiness from the in-doles which quickly unfurls the blooming jasmine in all its glory.

The jasmine smells very natural and is soon joined by patchouli which seems to tone down the jasmine making the scent more earthy in its scent.

Eventually more notes come into play which tends to change the nature of the jasmine. I can smell musk, woods and a little sweetness. Sometimes the jasmine smells earthy and other times sweet and candy like.

A very good kaleidoscopic jasmine fragrance where other notes are cleverly used to change the nature of the jasmine. Its a pleasure to see how the jasmine changes when other notes subtlety come into play. Thumbs up from me for a clever play on the jasmine note!

Lavande 44 by Rania J

At first spray you get a wonderful warm sensual lavender making a good impression straight out of the gate. The patchouli lends a earthy spiciness to the scent which is soon joined by woods and everything is blended just right with the lavender.I have to say this smells good and barbershop like.

If you like lavender scents then this is a must try as its quite special.

Ambre Loup by Rania J

Well I found this to be quite the wild fragrance with a lot going on scent wise. I get amber and vanilla with spices and a strong cedar and woodsy notes. The fragrance is very resinous and spicy, the oud seems to play hide and seek but when it reveals itself its like a ray of sunshine peeking out from the clouds. It adds a fresh and almost mystical like scent within the sweet spicy balsamic fragrance and then its gone to hide within the other notes.

Now when I say this scent is wild its my way in trying to describe all the notes coming at you all at once. You get a constant shifting impressions from the amber vanilla to the spicy woods. I have to say its a very interesting multi-layered fragrance and one that will keep you smelling yourself to see what you will smell next.

A big thumbs up from me on this scent. A very resinous spicy woody vanilla amber with hidden facets of oud. I like it.

Spice Bazaar by Nishane

Cumin, cedar with yuzu and a bit of saffron. This smells very one dimensional and quite dull. Nothing to get excited over with this one. Meh!
03rd February, 2016

Patchuli Kozha by Nishane

A sweet honey laced patchouli accord with undercurrents of incense and leather. Not to my taste but I can see how people would like this one.
02nd February, 2016

Musiqa Oud by Nishane

I have to say I am impressed with this scent as it does actually smell like real Cambodian oud. You have lots of saffron, woods with a slight sweetness. There is a oudy leather and rubber in the background.

All in all a very nice fragrance that is reminiscent of real oud
01st February, 2016

Afrika Olifant by Nishane

A surprisingly fresh smoky incense fragrance with a hint of musky sweetness. Looking at the note breakdown you would be forgiven to think this scent is going to be beastly. But nothing could be farther from the truth.

The animalistic notes of civet and leather are well blended and well behaved behind the smoky incense.

All in all a very nice enigmatic smelling fragrance.
30th January, 2016

Kalemat by Arabian Oud

Amber honey sweetness dominates this fragrance that it smells like a sweet pastry from a bakery. It does remind me a lot of 24 Gold from scent story.

If you like very sweet fragrances then this one is very nice and enticing.
29th January, 2016

Habit Rouge Dress Code by Guerlain

Lots of citrus straight out of the gate with a sweet chocolate praline and vanilla notes. Its a very gourmand take on Habit Rouge with lots of tonka and sweet notes.

Much later on the sweet spicy woodsy notes come to the forefront.

All in all a nice fragrance but just not to my taste.
28th January, 2016

Salome by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

Wow a civet floral sexy beast of a fragrance that reminds me a bit of Serge Lutens Musc Koubli Khan but better. The floral aspect gives the dirty civet aspect space to breath, it does not suffocate you out.

This smells great and very old school, you don't get many of these anamalic scents on the shelves these days. This is real perfume here.

Roja Dove has a very exclusive fragrance out called Diaghilev at Harrods that's costs about £750. Basically it's a very civet and mossy scent with a few florals and that does not come close to this one.

Those who have a adventurous spirit and are a little bit daring will love this one. It's not for everyone but my god this fragrance is magnificent.

10 out of 10. Wow!
30th November, 2015

Angélique by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

After application I'm enveloped in a buttery cloud of Iris coupled with a apricot like sugary sweetness coming from the mimosa petals. This is all on a woody backdrop which underpins the scent at this time.

The scent is floral and a bit powdery though unmistakably feminine. I could appreciate smelling this on a lady but could not wear this one myself.

All in all a nice fragrance.

29th November, 2015

Tobacco Rose by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

On the opening I can smell a big lush red rose though I get no tobacco whatsoever within the scent.

Now the rose is front and centre to this composition though facets of the smell have been changed with other notes that subtlety alter the smell. And this makes the scent very interesting especially if you love roses.

The hay and moss notes give the rose a subtle earthy dryness whilst the ambergris adds a slight salty sweetness. And I believe the beeswax just rounds out the sweetness of the overall smell.

So when you inhale this scent the rose almost smells mystical as you get a lush red rose which seems to be different from the usual rose scent that you are used to smelling.

It is a very well crafted rose scent as it makes you stop and think that this is different but you cannot put your finger on it without much thought.

For me as a man this rose fragrance though imo very good I just feel I could not pull this one off. And this is down to the rose been too lush and intense for my taste. I have the same problem with Lyric Man from Amouage.

For rose lovers this is a great mystical lush red rose with different facets that makes sampling this one a pleasure.
29th November, 2015

Anubis by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

Dark smoky oily leather is what I get on first application, reminds me of Knize ten at this stage. Soon a light warm sweet treacle note appears behind the darky oily leather coming from the immortelle.

Then you can start to smell a light jasmine floral note appearing within the smoky leather scent. This soon becomes stronger mixing in with incense and saffron which has now merged with the leather.

Eventually you have a very smoky sweet floral leather scent wrapped up in lots of incense. You could imagine a temple in ancient Egypt where sweet incense is burning mixing with the animal skins that are on the floor and walls of the temple in a ceremonial fashion.

It's a heavy fragrance and you can tell that a lot of quality oils have been used. Just do not over spray or this scent could choke you out.

I have to say I am impressed it smells very good and is very evocative. I like how the smoky florals and incense mix with the leather.

Thumbs up, very good fragrance or should I say art.
28th November, 2015

Indonesian Oud by Ermenegildo Zegna

On first spray I get a beautiful wet red rose with a very nice plush well behaved Oud. It's very smooth and a little medicinal in places but it does smell very posh.

The patchouli is there behind the rose giving it a slight earthiness and a the amber just lends a tad sweetness to the affair.

All in all one of the better Oud/Rose combo's I have smelled.

Very nice indeed!
27th November, 2015

Mediterranean Neroli by Ermenegildo Zegna

This is a gorgeous fragrance with the divine pairing of bergamot and neroli. And it's the sheer quality of the ingredients that is impressive. The bergamot smells like it has been freshly squeezed into the bottle coupled with the beautiful neroli.

It's a light fragrance but not too light with about average projection. I've been out and about wearing this and have been surrounded in a beautiful haze of bergamot and neroli, very beautiful.

After about ninety minutes the bergamot dissipates and the neroli becomes more sensual. It's so well blended that I cannot until the drydown detect any other notes from the neroli that now dominates.

After another hour I can start to smell woods, moss and musk though the lovely neroli still dominates. The scent though does reign itself in after this on the projection front but I can still smell it.

All in all a very beautiful light fragrance that perfectly suits the Spring/Summer months. The neroli does have extra depth but is so well blended with other notes to pin point exactly how. I'm thinking it's the jasmine that is giving it that sensual aspect but this is subjective.

The presentation is great as well with the box and bottle, this is my first fragrance with a magnetic cap. All in all a thumbs up from me. Lovely!
12th November, 2015