Reviews by NotBlondeToTheRoots

NotBlondeToTheRoots's avatar
    NotBlondeToTheRoots

Ta'If by Ormonde Jayne

I find Rose fragrances very tough. I love the sweetness of real old-fashioned lines of roses (before genetic tinkering to improve their stability for shipping and longevity bred out any scent from the petals), but as a soliflore, rose perfume can smell soapy and cloying, conjuring up memories of lingerie drawer paper or those awful little guest soaps. I love this floriental! Begins with a subtle whiff of pink pepper, blossoms into a lush pink rose, rounded out by a base of Amber. Feminine, but not girly. Slightly mysterious, but approachable. I wear this during the day all the time. I think the sillage is appropriate for work. (Thank goodness the male olfactory nerve seems to be less sensitive than mine!) Regarding Creed Fleur de Thé Rose, I found it unidimensional and insipid. I sampled about twenty high end/niche rose fragrances and this was the clear winner!

11th March, 2014

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I really wanted to like this! I'm a fan of carnal frags, and thought the name of this was just wonderful. But the coconut just ruins it for me. Smells like that old Hawaiin Tropic sun tan oil. Yeccch!

27 April, 2011

L'Eau Ambrée by Prada

Was a bit skeptical about this, being that it was "designed" by Prada. They do a great job with handbags and shoes, but PERFUME?! I tend to favor perfumes from the early part of the 20th century Narcisse Noir, Vol de Nuit, Jicky (okay.. late 19th century). I stand corrected, it was LOVE at first whiff! Everything I love about Opium without being as heavy. This has earned it's way into my regular rotation!

12 January, 2010

Perfect Night by Bella Bellissima

I agree with Ostranha. This is an aggressively sexual scent. I only wear it at home when my man is coming over! If the civet note in Jicky offends you, don't even sample this one. It reminds me of the the skit on Saturday Night Live when the little Catholic girl would stick her fingertips under her underarms and them sniff the scent of nervous sweat! I'm a civet fan, so I appreciate Perfect Night, but this is not for public consumption!!

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

I agree with Quarry. I like layering Orange Blossom over Narcisse Noir if I want to wear NN during the day. Citrus scents can be tricky to me. Sometimes the "straightforward, uncomplicated" ones end up smelling like my memory of Love's Lemon (everyone remembers this classic from junior high!) or Lemon Pledge. Orange Blossom has, to my nose, more of the soft round scent of the blossom rather than the agressively stringent scent of the fruit.

Shalimar by Guerlain

First smelled this on the dresser of my great-grandmother. She was a cool chick. Wore high heels and red lipstick into her 90's. Had a fabulous collection of art deco jewelry. I'm sure she started wearing Shalimar when it first came out. I can remember taking the bottle off of her dresser, uncapping it, and drawing the scent in with long, deep breaths. It lingered on the collar and cuffs of her fur coats.

For me, Jicky and Shalimar are complimentary fragrances. I wear Jicky for social occasions when I want a hint of that "bad girl" civet and Shalimar to church or for professional occasions. I'm a Guerlain addict.

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

I want to BATHE in this scent. My only regret is that it's not longer lasting!! I love it so much, I've actually given serious consideration as to how to evaporate/concentrate the EDT to provide a longer lasting scent without disturbing the oils in the scent. I desperatedly wish Chanel would come out with this in an EDP or parfum!!

07 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2009)

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Harsh opening note. Very disappointed in this purchase. Too masculine for me.

30th July, 2009

Love's Fresh Lemon by Love's

My first fragrance at about the age of 11 or 12. Really clean and pleasant. Perfect for that time in my life!! A fond memory.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought Opium when I was 16... I thought it sounded dangerous. The name really irritated my father, which only added to it's attraction for me at that point in my life. I only wore this in the winter, because it just seemed to warm and rich for summer. I haven't smelled it in years, may give it another try.

24, Faubourg by Hermès

I first encountered this parfum while killing time at Heathrow on a layover. The instant I smelled it, I was IN LOVE. It's the only perfume I've ever purchased instantly. Everytime I wear it, at least one gentleman asks me what it is and comments on how wonderful it is. I love the orange blossom top note and amber base note. I love the name. I love the bottle. I love the beautiful orange and yellow box it comes in. When I want to add instant sunshine to my day, I apply to my pulse points and smile. (Sorry, Ola, I may have been the doctor in grubby work clothes that you felt were unworthy of the scent!) But I wear perfume for ME! I wear this one because it makes me HAPPY!