Reviews by hcr

Façonnable by Façonnable

Just picked up a bottle recently after having a sample for years. I would always go back to that sample, always liked it. I think the topnotes faded away, because the sample seemed to go straight to the basenotes.

And those basenotes are lovely, kind of sweet and floral to me. Don't judge this until it dries down. Could be unisex I think. This does last awhile on the skin, but it's a 4-5 sprayer. Probably couldn't overdo it. Also I've never smelled this on anyone before, so that's nice. I think this would also work for any occasion; summer, winter, work, date, casual.
01st June, 2018

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Not as strong as some of the other powerhouses if you want to go for the retro vibe without knocking people's socks off.
20th May, 2018

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Very mild and not harsh in the beginning. Good work scent, non-offensive. Not too long lasting.
18th May, 2018

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

Starts with a sweet coconut, first five minutes is very nice like that old suntan lotion. That went away pretty quick and it became a skin scent that wasn't that remarkable.
16th May, 2018

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

Weak and inoffensive. Woodsy scent, didn't develop much. Good work scent but doesn't last long.
15th May, 2018

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Had a sample of this a few years ago, didn't really like it but didn't think it was horrible. Got another sample and actually kind of liked it. Not sure why people say it's so horrible. Never tried it in the 80's so I have no idea what the original smelled like. It's a classic and worth experiencing.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

This sample I just got is a lot soapier and less strong than the bottle I had back in the 90s. That stuff was powerful but intoxicating. This is not the same. I give my thumbs up for the original which was, for better or worse, the cologne of my teenage years.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Only tried the reformulation, but I was expecting a powerhouse scent. Wasn't what I expected. Barbershop and floral yes, dated yes, but not old man/too strong. I don't know if I'd wear this to work or out, but might consider a bottle for weekends at home.

Sauvage by Christian Dior

soapy and fresh, but gets cloying after a while. Doesn't seem to change much, lots of projection and sillage though. Don't think I'd go full bottle on this.

Aventus by Creed

First thoughts, on paper it smells like Fruit Stripes gum. On my skin, 15 minutes in it's not sweet at all.

It felt a little oily when I was putting it on? could be my imagination.

I've never smelled GIT, and I haven't smelled Cool Water in a while, but it's giving me the same kind of vibe; not sweet, not strong, fresh, nice but just smells a little off on my skin.

30 min in: pleasant I guess, I'm not seeing the hype. Will sample again but doesn't project much and I can't see this lasting that long.
12th May, 2018

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

Pleasant lime scent. Lasts about 10 minutes then totally disappeared. Price is good but you'd probably need to carry around a decant. Won't be a full bottle purchase for me.
05th September, 2015

Nuit d'Issey by Issey Miyake

I want to like this. Definitely get the grapefruit on the start. Something comes out after, I don't know what but it's strange. If I take a big whiff of this off my wrist, I can feel it hit high up in my nose. Not enough to make me sneeze, but just irritating my sinuses or something, and that's very unusual to me. I'm not sure how to rate this. It is less intense Issey Intense, a little less 80's and less incense. I think Intense smells better but I'm not sure I'd wear that out and about. I think this stays a sample.

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

This is some strong stuff. Nothing like the original to me. Starts to get into 80's powerhouse territory for me. Almost too intense for the first hour, however the drydown is very nice. Not a work cologne to me, this would be a Sunday afternoon chillin by yourself scent... Probably not full bottle worthy.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

I get the cherry/fruity smell from this. Very pleasant, not very strong though. Doesn't seem to last too long, would need a lot of sprays. Probably going to stay in the sample pile.

Black by Bulgari

The vanilla drydown on this is lovely. The tea/rubber note is very interesting, but just not quite enough to sell me on this. Price is pretty good, but I think this will stay in the sample pile. Definitely try a sample before you buy a bottle.
24th August, 2015

Adidas Classic / Classic Blue by Adidas

This was probably the first cologne I ever got for Xmas, late 1980s. Funny thing, I got a sample of Chanel Allure Homme, which at first I thought smelled like Burberry London, and still does a little, but the second time I sprayed it, I thought, god I remember that smell, it smells like Adidas, which I probably haven't smelled in over 10 years. Come here to check the notes, both have bergamot and mandarin topnotes, and vetiver and cedarwood basenotes. too funny, since adidas probably costs like 10 bucks. I think you can smell a little more powder(tonka?) in the chanel though, I really would like to smell this adidas again though...
29th August, 2009

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Hello? Drakkar Noir calling... It's not quite as potent as Drakkar, but for like what 3 or 4 times more expensive? not worth it...Nostalgia in a bottle for me though, love the smell, don't think I'd wear it in public though.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Is it the rose that I can't stand? Not sure, but this smells like my mom's perfume cabinet. "old" was actually the first thing that came to mind, sure I've smelled something like this, probably a long time ago. Couldn't stand the smell on me though, and wouldn't even want to wear it just around the house either. Wanted to like it, but the sampler will be going to the fragrance graveyard.....

Allure Homme by Chanel

London Calling? Burberry, that is. Bergamot and pepper maybe? not sure, but think you could go with London and save a bunch of cash. Good, but has that boozy, sour smell to me. This teeters right on the line of would I wear or not. Too sour to be sexy maybe?

Voyage by Nautica

Very subtle, non overpowering scent. The Curve reference=maybe, but when it starts to dry it gets a little more soapy, but not as soapy as Chrome or Gendarme, which were too soapy for me, so I would say this is a keeper. Not being too citrusy also helps, sometimes you don't wanna smell like Lemon Pledge, but this is also not quite as "marine" as bvlgari aqva, which is just too "mossy?"
20th August, 2009

Gendarme by Gendarme

Yes very soapy and light, non offensive, doesn't last long....Next...........
16th August, 2009

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

oh god, seriously maybe the worst cologne I've ever smelled. You couldn't pay me to wear this.
16th August, 2009

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Reading through the reviews, first day of wearing this. I notice maybe only 2 women commented on this, and I don't believe I saw the term "sexy" applied by anyone to this. It just isn't. I was expecting more citrus and freshness, but its just kinda like people have been saying. Salty, "mossy", earthy, kinda dry. Will not offend anyone, could spray alot and be fine, but its missing something. Its just not fresh, I like the scent, but again not sure if its something I want on my body. I can't see this getting any compliments from anyone, nor could I imagine any women wanting to get closer for a whiff of this. But it won't turn anyone off either. This would be a good "car" scent, to just leave in the car when you just need a shot of something light. But all this doesn't surprise me that it is quite popular here as an aquatic, because it isn't as fresh or citrus"y as like AdG or Issey or something very common. Doesn't have a "hook" for me, but might also be a good outdoor cologne too, you can picture sea water, rocks. Would not wear this on a date though...
08th August, 2009

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Sprayed this on my wrist, thought I smelled "Code".... but then sprayed some on my neck, and the next few hours I only got a sour note... Sour, sour, sour....I don't get people saying spicy, or cinnamon, or anything else, just sour.... but not bad, I mean original for sure, I don't know what I got out of that first spray, but since then I just smell the Sour.... Sprayed again later, more sour.... liked it at first, but doubt I'll be purchasing a full bottle...
07th August, 2009

Brit for Men by Burberry

Baby Powder....really nothing more to say.... great if you like that, I don't want to smell like this....
07th August, 2009

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Comes on strong for the first few minutes, to me this frag is what "cologne" should smell like. What I mean is, you spray it, you don't find any particular note that reminds you of anything, just "cologne".. That to me makes a great frag, something abstract? I realize an expert could tell any note or whatever, but I mean a regular guy, normal nose. Ya know, "oh this smells like lemons, oh this smells like vanilla".. To me, Verace PH smells like cologne. period. It is strong but fresh, definitely masculine. Could last a little longer, kinda comes on strong then whimpers away maybe. Debating on a full bottle, could see this as a good daily cologne, don't think its too overworn either.

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

Incense, incense, incense.... After an hour, this smells like a head shop or something, which is a pleasant smell, but not something I would want to smell like.....

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

One of my favs, so I'm biased... This cologne just has one particular note that sticks out, lasts long, and smells great. Perfect scent for anytime, last a good 6-8 hours on one spray which always makes me happy, and something I require from a frag. Always keep a bottle of this around.. Similar to A Men to me, somewhat, would consider this A Men light maybe, if you like that scent but find it too strong, you could go with this easily, more wearable and less "offensive" if you're thinking about that..

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I don't usually try to discuss all the notes, only what it will smell like after an hour or so, so you really know what you're getting.. For me, after an hour this stuff smells exactly like Lemon Shaving Cream.... now that is not bad, if I shaved with cream and a razor, this would be exactly what i would want to smell like, so it is masculine.. but it smells like "something" ya know, I like colognes that don't smell like something so apparent, and this just makes me think Barbasol..... sweeter and stronger than Acqua, but similar, would go with this over Acqua for sure, lasts longer too... Will say honestly I've gotten more compliments from this than any other frag though, however still not my favorite..

Joop! Homme by Joop!

A high school/ college cologne for me. Reminds me of those times, but wouldn't wear it now. A little too strong, and this to me is the "cologne I smell on everyone".. for real, Joop is the one where I'll get a whiff and be like "oh yeah there's some Joop", and I don't get that with many other frags.. I'll never forget a girl telling me I smelled like laundry detergent.... which I don't know if I agree with that, but I still remember that comment 10 years later....