Reviews by warlandsboy

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A rather pleasent, inoffensive scent which has a refreshing opening but settles down into a slightly sweet yet subtle aroma. Could be used as an decent body spray, but I don't see it as being all that powerful. As others have said there's nothing wrong with it, which is where the problem lies. May be a crowd pleaser, but I was hoping for a little more...

05th September, 2009

Artisan by John Varvatos

I was quite excited about this new release, and was unfortunately quite disappointed. I got a huge orange blossom accord on this one, however the longevity on this one was seriously lacking. Too bad though, I was really looking forward to this one.

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

Quick Wiki on Calone: "Calone or methylbenzodioxepinone, trade-named Calone 1951, was discovered by Pfizer in 1966. It is used to give the olfactory impression of a fresh seashore through the marine/ozone nuances. Calone is an unusual odorant which has an intense "sea-breeze" note with slight floral overtones. It was used as a scent component since the 1980's for its watery/fresh/ozone accords, then as more dominant note in several perfumes of the marine trend, beginning in the 1990's."

I completely agree with the comments about this being a synthetic calone scent. What a shame. Nice try Donna!

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

As a newbie Basenoter I have to say that I am really pleased with the fact that this scent has really gotten me interested in Guerlain as a whole, as well as sampling more of their more prominent and well-known scents. I absolutely love the mojito-boozy-lime accord that this scent opens with, but unfortunately that is about it. I really wish that the opening could stick around a bit longer to enjoy, as it fades rather quickly from my skin. In fact, this scent totally disappears from my skin in a matter of an hour or so. Longevity is definitely an issue here. Overall though, it has been able to give me the experience I was seeking, and because of that I would like to give it a thumbs up. Unfortunately, due to the longevity issues, I have to stay neutral with this one. This scent has made me really interested in trying the new Guerlain Homme Intense...I hope I am not disappointed.

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

Before I actually tried this on myself, I had gotten whisps of it in the public air here and there, which if I remember correctly were pleasant in the "oh that's nice because it doesn't offend me" kind of way. Don't let references that it's "too femme" throw you off just because it's on the sweet side, it obviously has its place in the market, such as in the younger crowd. However it gets a neutral due to longevity issues, and for being a safe yet dull mainstream scent.

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

HOLY WOOD BATMAN! Am I stepping into a carpentry shop? I don't know but it sure as hell smells like it. I'm a bit unsure as to what type of social setting this would be appropriate for, however I am still somewhat intrigued. I'm sitting on the fence on this one for the time being.

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

Nothing special to me, and nothing gross either. I was initially captivated by the brand name, which I should have known, would quickly wear off once I smelt it. I can definately see it as an easy sell for the SA's due to its in-offensive nature. The opening citrus notes lasted for all about 2 seconds in which it died down into a rather synthetic smelling bland scent. This reminds me of the Spanish phrase "maso menos" meaning so-so.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

This seems to be one of those off and on fragrances for me. When it's on it really does smell very good and leathery; but, when it's off, it is really off, like rubber-ish off. It seems that this frag works very well with my skin chemistry on days that I workout, turning it "on" if you will; however when I don't workout, it is definitely "off." Thumbs up for being interesting and non-mainstream, which is surprising from a company like Juicy.

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Most definitely one of the top Gino clubber scents of choice! Extremely sweet paired with surprisingly powerful sillage and longevity. No doubt a hit with the young people.

cK one Electric by Calvin Klein

I used to love wearing this back in my early college days, especially for going out clubbing. This really was my go-to frag for quite some time, believe it or not. Alas, my sense of smell has developed since that time in my life, however I would still recommend it for the younger high-school and college crowd. If your only comfortable with mainly CK scents, but you wanted something a bit different, then I would recommend giving this a try. It did the trick for me and it may for you as well!

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Can someone please explain to me why I have two 1oz bottles of this sitting on my shelf? LOL I guess this did appeal to me at one point in time, albeit quite a while ago. However, I still think that the overall boozyness of this scent is quite appealing. It seems like it could have the potential to smell interesting on the right person sometime in the fall....anyone want to buy a bottle lol :-)

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

If this is one of the best mainstream aquatics out there then I am truly disappointed. It does indeed give me the feeling of being at a seaside dock, however it's seriously lacking in the sillage and longevity department. I guess I'm not as much of an aquatic lover as I thought I would be.

04th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 28th March, 2010)

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Wow! "Fierce" is definately a fitting name to describe this fragrance. I'll admit I haven't had the chance (and am slightly afraid) of applying this directly to my skin out of fear I will smell exactly like a walking A&F store, which btw is not that bad. I had a friend who doused his entire apartment with the stuff so, atm, I am a bit turned off by it. Would like to try again though.

Crave by Calvin Klein

Wow this one is really getting beaten around here on BN. Go easy on this one folks! I still wonder actually why this one was discountinued as it was a great green-citrusy frag for the younger people out there. I remember many people wearing this in elementary and high school, as well as myself, and it smelled quite nice. I actually got quite a few compliments wearing this from what I recall. I even had the matching shower gel to go with it hehehe. Anyways I loved the fact that the bottle was plastic and "unbreakable" if you will, and it was convenient to throw in your school or gym bag. Thumbs up for the fact that this is still sitting in my basement medicine cabinet lol :-)

PS by Paul Sebastian

One word N-A-S-T-Y! Old farts will indeed love this stuff. If your feeling generous give a bottle of this stuff to your local street bum!

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

IMHO I believe this stuff is nothing short of VILE! I think this is due to the countless amount of times that I had to suffer being stuck in a small, non-ventilated space beside some young guy who took a bath or shower in this stuff. I can't even begin to list to horrid things that go on in my mind when I take a whiff of this. JPG needs to put a WARNING LABEL on this one!

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Wow can you say HEADACHE?!?! That's all I seem to get when wearing even a spray of this. The funny part is I did have quite fond memories of a close friend who used to wear this and it smelt quite nice on him. I still don't quite understand all the hype around this. Anyways L'eau D'Issey just squeezes by with a neutral, only because of the memories it brings back.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Wow I want some of whichever white rock people are smoking when they smell this because it is absolutely wicked smelling to my virgin nose!

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I agree this is definitely way too classy a scent for someone my age (23) to wear. Mom absolutely loves the stuff. I can see it working really nicely with some older gentlemen out there. The longevity on this one is amazing though, I woke up to it the next day and it was quite a subtle surprise to my nose. Overall a pleasant experience.

Higher by Christian Dior

Damn the opening to this one is RAUNCHY! Peeee-ewwwww! LMAO Thankfully its died down within a matter of minutes. I'm getting a picture in my head of mold...fresh, wet, stinky mold with a definite sharpness to it. I could definitely see spraying this on someone as some sort of practical joke...or perhaps the joke is on me?

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Well well well....what do we have here?! AdG I see. A fragrance that many of us guys have owned at one point in our lives, and has gotten many people, including me, interested in fragrances as a whole. I know that alot of these folks do have a very difficult time accepting something mainstream and popular, but alas, as much as it crushes them, they must SOMEDAY, SOMEHOW learn to accept AdG's fame and glory. Some of these folks spend years searching high and low for the classics of yesterday and tommorow, but what about today? What are the classics of today? Generic mainstream conformity are what many may refer to this as. But what about the scent that defined what generic mainstream conformity smelled like? Now we`re beginning to paint the picture. The love I have for AdG does not revolve purely around it's scent, but rather more about what it's done for me and my love of frangrances, as well as the fragrance industry as a whole. AdG challenged me to think outside the box when many people thought within it. For this thought provoking reason alone AdG should be saluted. Somerville Metro Man has also made a very valid point referring to AdG as``Wonder Bread`` however IMHO I believe it should be classified as ``Smart Bread``, whole wheat disguised as white bread LOL! Fabulous job Armani!

X-Centric by Dunhill

I used to wear this a lot in highschool as I found it to be very clean, simple, and non-offensive to those around me. Some may say it's a bit generic smelling, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you want, right?

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

This is a fabulous scent on the RIGHT woman! And I emphasize RIGHT. My mom can really pull this one off and gets compliments all the time. It seems this one is really a love or hate perfume. All I have to say is that it's a LOVE for me. FYI please use in moderation :-)

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Absolutely without doubt a wonderfully fantastic fragrance. I may have a bit of a bias as this was the perfume that really got me interested in fragrances growing up, and for that reason alone I love it. This is definitely one of the best things that the 80's gave us :-) I hope everyone gets a chance to try this sometime, and if I had more then 2 thumbs, they would all be up for this one! Thank you CK!