Reviews by Sassafras

Sassafras's avatar
    Sassafras

Destiny by Marilyn Miglin

Destiny is a very sheer scent smelling of apricots and pink or white roses. But here, sheer doesn't mean fleeting...the EDP lasts a good 8-10 hours or more and the silllage is impressive. It's a very feminine scent and while not ground breaking, it would be perfect for the office or spring/summer season. I like it very much for a reasonably priced fume.

13 February, 2013

Realities (original) by Liz Claiborne

Realties is a lovely powdery fresh floral. A soft chamomile rose scent, perfect for the office or casual wear.

I don't think it smells cheap at all, despite it's reasonable price.

23 August, 2012

Purple Water by Asprey

What the heck am I missing here??

I get nothing except a weak lemonade top and a light woody drydown, all of which is totally gone in less than 10 minutes.

This is a quality upper-class cologne? I don't think so...

I must have been duped into buying a knock off or something, because what's in the bottle I have, isn't worth 2 cernts.

Lackluster and boring sum it up.

17 August, 2012

Cynthia Rowley by Cynthia Rowley

Ick is all I can say. This scent smells like hay and has no redeeming qualities for me.

Pass.

23 June, 2012

Neroli by Laura Mercier

I've never lived close to an orange grove or even smelled any other orange blossom perfumes, so my expectatons of this scent were wide open.

I like it very much. Crisp and fresh smelling to me, drying down to a lingering orange-vanilla. I don't pick out alot of florals, just an overall cottony freshness that seems would be perfect for summer.

Longevity is a little short lived for an EDP but it's a citrus scent so that's to be expected.

I don't find anything masculine about this scent at all...it's all woman.

04 June, 2012

Starlight by Etienne Aigner

No cheap ingredients here. Rich strawberry, then cumiin, landing in patchouli leaves.

There is a little bit of a vegatable oil smell to it in the top...hard to describe...but it goes away when the cumin/celery seed hits.

EDP lasts 3-4 hours, minimal sillage, probably best worn in winter/fall.

It's ok but I wouldn't buy a big bottle.

23 March, 2012

Belle d'Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Sadly, this was my pick after an hour of sniffing every watery, vague, dishevelled or overly sugar filled frangrance currently available at a local well known cosmetic and fragrance store. (had a gift card!! Yippee!!)

And I knew as soon as I got it home I would have buyers remorse, which I did.

The top of BdO is a little hairspray and very similar to the watery lily feel of DK Gold. The part I liked that pushed me to buy was the jasmine and sandalwood drydown, which was slightly synthetic but charming anyway. The issue is the poor longevity which is no more than an hour or 2 for the EDP. I had someone mention the sillage but she has a hyper sensative sense of smell and is the only one who commented.

Will I buy it again? No...It has none of the character of a good perfume and would have been a waste of money if I'd spent my own.

Pass on this one.