Reviews by nase

nase's avatar
    nase
    Germany Germany

Volupté by Oscar de la Renta

Some weeks ago I smelled this on an very elegant old lady (maybe she had 70 years) and it smelled wonderfull. Flowery-powdery, full and rich, but not overpowering. I couldn't identify any single ingredient exactly, because ist was blended so harmoniously. (I think, there can be rose, civet, orris and tagete in it.) Maybe takemyhusbandplz and marritza had bad bottles or it didn't fit their chemistry. But it isn't stinky at all.
    It's an opulent, sophisticated perfume, better for the evening then for the office - and not only for 70 year old women.

03 February, 2007

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

Misspring is right, the new Nina smells completely different from the old one. I've had a bottle of the old Nina in the nineties and bought one of the new. (It's a must for me because I'm called Nina myself.) The old one was very oldfashioned and reminded me of my grandmother and grandmothers in general. It was cool and fresh and distinguished. The bottle was white and cylindric and very similar to L'Air du Temps.
    New Nina seems to be made for 15 to 25 year old girlies, very modern, fresh and fruity (like apple - fitting the bottle-design). In the dry down you find a dark and sweet, and somehow synthetic smelling musk. In the hole, it smells very synthetic, but not in a bad way.

20th January, 2007

Royal Delight by Creed

A wonderful, opulent and heavy bouquet of sweets and flowers with a significant note of honey and vanilla. You shouldn't wear this at the office, but it's perfect for the opera. I can't understand how this could be meant as unisex.

25 June, 2006

Une Zeste de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Un Zest de Rose is a surprisingly long lasting fresh rose scent. One of the main notes is Tea - green tea, mate tea, black tea - a very fresh, green and soft tea note, that's driving through to the dry down. Very, very unique!! A pearl, like all of the parfums de rosine!

Endymion by Penhaligon's

I really think, this is uni-sex. In fact I would like it more on a woman than on a man. Maybe a very young man, a 16 year old James Dean type could wear it - as well as Kate Moss in the early Obsession promotion pictures should have smelled. Maybe it's a perfume for young people up to 35 years. You can hardly imagine a 50 year old man or woman wearing this scent.
    But for young people, it's wonderful, soft, light warm and delicious and sexy, wonderfully balanced and very long lasting.

Kenzoair by Kenzo

The name is perfect! KenzoAir creates a bewitchingly natural smelling aura of sweet, fresh air, of musk and cedar and cypress and anisseed. It's a young scent for men and women for any occasion. It doesn't smell like a perfume, it smells as if you smell of your own like this and good.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I adore Dzing!!
    It a great, great light and sweet, popcorny leather fragrance. At the first sniff, it smells like rubber and air and sunlight. Then it turns sweeter and more ands more leathery. The only fresh and playful leather fragrance I know.

Himalaya by Creed

Himalaya smells exactly like Platinum Egoiste, while Platinum Egoiste is older. I wonder why a house like Creed does copy other houses' fragrances. It's the same with Neroli Sauvage. It smells like Eau de Campagne by Sisley.

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Neroli Sauvage smells exactly like Eau de Campagne by Sisley, while Eau de Campagne is 20 years older. Both are great herbal-citrussy fragrances, but I wonder why a house like Creed does copy other houses' fragrances. It's the same with Himalaya. It smells like Platinum Egoiste.

Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon's

This smells really similar to the natural flower. A cool, clean and noble lily of the valley scent. I in fact can't smell any other note, only lily of the valley. But for such a light and cool perfume it lasts very very long. Great quality!

Eau de Givenchy by Givenchy

This was the best lily of the valley fragrance I ever smelled - with a really natural lily of the valley impression. I loved and used it when I was about 20 years old. It's very fresh and cool with a soft, sweet and somehow stale drydown - and at the same time a bit dark and melancholic.

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

In her novel "The story of O", that came out in 1954, Pauline Reage wrote (my translation from the german version): "He gave her a perfume that's name she didn't know. It smelled like dry wood and marsh plants - harsh and a bit wild." No one knows which perfume she meant, but I always think of Miss Dior, when I read it. It's harsh, wild and austere. I can't identify any single note, but find it bitter, green, shy, fresh and unworldly. By the way it's oldfashioned. But that doesn't matter. I really love it - forever, for it's timeless. It's the perfect scent for diving in another world within this world.

Tabac Blond by Caron

Tabac Blond is, what Cabochard and Bandit tried to be but didn't reach. I myself don't smell leather, but aldehydes and darkness and dark aldehydes. This really is a parfume of a dominatrix - hard and cool and dark for a pretty long time - and at the very end, you find a kissy, lovely vanilla.

Le Muguet by Annick Goutal

This is a terribly cloying and sweet lily of the valley fragrance. I would recommend it when you want a railway-compartment for your own. Just don't try - you don't miss anything.

Zen (version #2 / pearl) by Shiseido

It's astonishing, how such a soft and light scent can have such long lasting power! Maybe the name is program - Lao tse wrote: the soft and tender is more powerfull than the hard and strong.
    Zen Pearl smell like white flowers and baby-powder, clean and fresh and smooth - remembering on cherry blossoms flying in a tender spring breeze - but this still at the next day!
    I don't get it.
    The mother of pearl bottle fits it perfectly!
    For the right person this scent is great. In my opinion, even a child could wear it or a special kind of woman.
    Among the light cherry-blossom-baby-powder-scents one of the best!

08 January, 2006

Tendre Poison by Christian Dior

Tendre Poison has been my signature scent, when I was about 20 years old, and I have loved it very much. Sometimes, I still use it today. TP is very fresh, green, fruity and soft and delicious. I don't know exactly, what's in there - surely rose, apple and the smell of green leaves and grass. The sweet note in it remembers in fact of the original Poison, but there's a strong fresh-green note dominating. It always makes me feel being in the jungle breathing all the smells of exotic plants and fruits and the moist and warm air.
    It's definitely as good as Poison, I like it much more. Hypnotic Poison in my opinion has nothing at all in common with Poison, Pure Poison only a bit. But Tendre Poison and Poison are of same origin. When - in terms of the jungle - Poison is the black panther, Tendre Poison is a green mamba.

08 January, 2006

Noa Noa by Otto Kern

Noa Noa has been sooooo great! It's such a pity, it's discontinued! It was a very in the face fruity, sweet floral, very, very fruity and delicious. I remember ananas, grapefruit, rose, tuberose and a hint of patchouli. They really should produce it again.

04 January, 2006

Mat; Chocolat by Masakï Matsushïma

Really shocking sweet (in a delicious way) - like inhaling a cherry brandy filled chocolate cream. Unwearable for me, but a real enrichmeht for the universe of scents and surely one of the most direct and plain gourmand scents ever.

03 January, 2006

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

I love the hardness and coolness of the fragrance. It evokes the feelings of independence and loneliness, of sitting in a train on ones way to nowhere at a frosty winter's day. It's a somehow monodimensional incense fragrance (o.k., it's a light coffee scent in it) with a sweaty but nonetheless clean drydown. Very unique.

27 December, 2005 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2006)

MCM Obelisk by MCM

Obelisk is a warm, spicy and dry scent, smelling somehow christmasy - of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. It's compareable with Opium - especially in not being sweet- but much softer.

26 December, 2005

Black for Her by Kenneth Cole

Black for her smells very, very similar to the discontinued "C'est la Vie" by Christian Lacroix, a sweet and heavy floriental, typical for the early '90es. It makes think of dark roses and red and black berries, very delicious. Best worn at a hot summer night' party.

21st December, 2005

Amor Amor by Cacharel

I'm really sorry to say it so hard, but Amor Amor smells simply cheap. If I'd find a cleanser in the supermarket smelling like this, I would buy it. But I would never use such a perfume.

13 December, 2005

Prada (new) by Prada

This Prada is really changeable! My boy-friend got it as a gift and uses it, for noone really knows, if it's for men or women. And on his skin it smells like a very sophisticated, warm and masculine leather-sandalwood scent with a bit of orris root and a bit tabacco in it. It makes me think of Sean Connery as James Bond or of gentlemen's evenings in old leather-chairs with big cigars and things like that.
    On my skin, it smells like a cheap version of Shalimar, while Shalimar smells on my skin like lemon-essence for baking with a bit of cinnamon and too much sugar. I would never wear this, but hope, my friend will continue wearing it.
    So never buy it blind for someone else!

12 December, 2005

Lady Knize by Knize

Lady Knize is in production again; at least in Germany it's available.
    It's a very harmonic composition, fresh, mild, softly sweet and ladylike. Very oldfashioned!
    At first I thought of my grandmother. It gives the idea, that all old women must have smelled like this, when they've been young and beautiful. But maybe therefor it might be the perfect perfume for bold and daring young women.

08 December, 2005

Balle de Match / L'Eau De Sport by Nicolaï

One of the best citrus fragrances, I know. Light, fruity, aquatic, distingué and very young at the same time. The grapefruit is dominant in Balle de Match. The drydown is - on my skin - woody and dry.

05 November, 2005

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

Very modern and somewhat retro at the same time: modern the really genial design of the bottle and package and the freshness and clearness, retro because it reminds me on the apple shampoos, we used in the 80ies, when I was a child, the perfumed pencils and rubbers we loved and the strong colored sweets and candies, that colored teeths and tongue for hours.
    The dominant scent is the apple and maybe melon. It's soo fresh and smooth like warm rain in a late summer afternoon and delicious like fresh fruits eaten while walking through town.
    Very young, very sensual and somehow airy-fairy. I fell in love with it.

21st September, 2005