Reviews by Naitch

Naitch's avatar
    Naitch

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

I was recently in Chicago and went in to Tiffany's to finally get my hands on this much heralded cologne. Ironically I went with Tiffany Sport but changed my mind a few hours later after realizing that it was an upscale version of CK One. I also realized after having tried both on my skin, the presence of the original Tiffany was much more interesting. Indeed it is very much like Pour Monsieur by Chanel, and that's a good thing. The projection and longevity are key differences. Tiffany lasts a long time, but stays in the background close to the skin. Just when you think it's dead, it comes right back. You get that nice whiff of fragrance every so often. The drydown is powdery and evolves nicely with time. There are a lot of people who believe this is a cologne only meant for formal occasions, but I think it can worn for just a night out by those who want to project an appreciation for the finer things in life.

09th July, 2012

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Sorry, this is just Terre d' Hermes repackaged. In fact after the initial sprays I couldn't tell the difference. It smells great, but the difference is that it dies quickly on the skin. No staying power whatsoever. It's gone after 2 hours, and doesn't even stay close to the skin after 5 hours. I wonder if Marc Jacobs saw an opportunity with TDH not being on too many shelves these days to just release his own version of it and hope no one would notice.

The funny thing is I was crazy about it after trying the tester at a department store. Then the next day after using a sample it was a major disappointment. If it's said once or a million times, skin test before you buy!

29th August, 2010

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

This is one hell of a powerful cologne that really makes a statement when you wear it. A basenoter called it a "masterful powerbomb" which would be accurate. I'd describe it as very, very intense with excellent sillage and longevity. It has so many different layers and notes it keeps you guessing as to what you're smelling. One minute you might think it's a strong lemon cleaner, the next a very soft vanilla candy with a hint of roses. It projects quite a bit. One evening I wore this and sat near a fan outside at a restaurant. My nose couldn't figure out one minute to the next what I was smelling, which has never happened to me before. This is definately for the confident man with an ego and ladies notice when you wear it (in a positive way). If you don't like attention I'd go with Platinum Egoiste, which smells great also but is for people who play it safe. Easily the top of the class when it comes to the fragrances I own.

Be extremely careful when you spray this on! No more than 3 sprays on exposed skin, or 2 under the shirt and 2 outside on the wrist. After several hours you can spray 2 more. I would never spray behind the ears or the neck or your nose will be overwhelmed.

Use on weekends, special occassions or evenings. Lasts about 6 to 8 hours on my skin.

06th September, 2009

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

If you love L'Homme, you'll really love this. If you didn't, you won't. La Nuit quite simply is L'Homme "Extreme". More vanillla in the drydown, and a little extra longevity at around 4 hours. Very classy and intoxicating. I think YSL has moved itself into the category of Chanel when it comes to fine fragrances with this release.

21st August, 2009

Perry Ellis for Men (new) by Perry Ellis

What an underappreciated cologne this is. This has all the components of what makes a great fragrance. First it is a true 3 layered fragrance, with a beginning, middle and end. Each distinct and very nice. I like the opening of the green apple, the "musk in the middle" and the woods at the end.

Second the longevity is notches above the newer generic colognes that are gone in an hour or two. After spraying at 9 in the morning, I could stilll get a good whiff at 3 in the afternoon. By 5 it was a "close to the skin" trace but to get 5 or 6 hours is all you can expect from any cologne. Spraying on and under the shirt was a good help if you want just a little whiff after the day is over. The fragrance is effective but not toxic, light enough you'd really have to pour the bottle on yourself to turn it against you. 4 to 6 sprays all over will do.

I should mention that like a lot of others I got immediate compliments on this. As much as I love some of my others like YSL L'Homme & CPM, only 1 compliment. Both of course seem to just last 2 to 3 hours tops, if that sometimes.

In a way I hope this stays a well kept secret that develops a cult following, of course selling enough it stays in production.

For the record the notes are:
    Green apple accord, amber, black patchouli, warm woods.

07th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 14th March, 2010)

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

An outstanding, masculine fragrance. Very underrated as well. I have sampled this twice on my skin with great results. From the intitial blast to drydown the scent is consistent yet matures over a period of an hour. The notes in the fragrance that are most apparent are leather, wood and musk. Scents you identify with a man who could be young or mature, but not a hipster wannabe.

Longevity and sillage are 4 out of 5 stars. I got about 5 hours of its best strength (scent wafting around me during that time). After that it stays close to the skin for 8 to 9 hours. It should be noted I only sprayed 3 spritzes from a test vial on my wrist for this result. With a few sprays from the bottle to the neck and chest, who knows. Very impressive at any rate.

If you want something different that doesn't costs over $200 and smells like a million bucks, get it. Can be purchased on the 'net for about half the price at department stores btw.

30th June, 2009

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

This is just Armani Black Code version 2.0. It's a little sweeter and would induce a headache if sprayed more than a few times. Fits the trend of sweet, perfumy colognes of today. Apparently it doesn't sell very well since Sephora has already dropped it from it's stores.

Update 8/02/09: Sorry, Sephora does still carry this. They just temporarily removed it from their website at the time of this review.

16th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 02nd August, 2009)

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I normally would have steered clear of this because it's way too common & popular. However I received a free sample and wore it to work recently. At first sniff it smelled generic, but after the drydown I am forced to admit it is a great aquatic scent with nice longevity & sillage. Very fresh and clean. I must note I only put 2 sprays on my wrist and could smell it for several hours, and I'm not talking about smelling my wrist at close range. That's impressive considering how many colognes are out there you can spray all over you and the scent is gone in 2 hours.

The main problem with this is the "cool" and "unique" factors aren't there and even teenagers have this (even some kids I overheard sample it said all their friends have it). If you can get past that, and want something most people will like or find inoffensive, then grab a bottle.

16th June, 2009

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

This is one of those dangerous colognes that smell great on a card for a few minutes but when you wear it, it's another story. It has a "sickening sweetness" that is a bit off putting and has you wondering if you are offending anyone nearby. I normally love lavender but it is too potent here along with the anise. The rasberry just puts it way over the top. After trying it for one day back it went (exchanged for the much more mature Pour Monsieur). This is truly for someone in their early twenties who goes clubbing very weekend.

I give it 3 stars because the longevity is excellent (way over 8 to 10 hours). It would be tolerable if toned down some.

13th June, 2009

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

This is definately what I would call a "gentleman's fragrance". Not as in old, but in mature, sophisticated and wordly. I'm ashamed to say that when I first tried this, I didn't like it due to the opening blast and probably because I had just smelled 10 other colognes. Recently when I was looking to add another cologne I thought of the other reviews I read here (btw one of the very few colognes to have only 2 negative comments) and decided to sample it again. This time it smelled much better to me. After making the mistake of choosing Fuel For Life instead, I immediately took that back and grabbed this.

The lavender note in this one is far more toned down than FFL, intelligently blended with vetiver & vanilla for a soft but masculine scent. Don't be fooled though, this is very strong and long lasting. 4 or 5 sprays is the max you should ever apply. Even when wearing out in the heat & humidity it perseveres. This is the third Chanel fragrance I've owned and each one has been excellent. You can't go wrong with masters of fine fragrance. I echo the comments of others that this is one that needs no hype or ad campaigns, those in the know will own it.

13th June, 2009

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This cologne grabbed me immediately after trying it. Usually I have to try several when I am purchasing something new, but after smelling this I knew I was going to buy it. It's one of those scents you keep wanting to smell throughout the day because it's that good. It's a little on the sweet side, especially on initial spray. The drydown is the best part with a combination of citrus, vetiver and what I would call musk.

The funny thing is I was almost going to return it due to what seemed to be poor longevity in the beginning. Then I learned the real strength of this scent is that it is very subtle, not overpowering. I like the fact you can spray 7 or 8 times and you won't leave a toxic trail. Using unscented lotion prolongs the scent by a few hours, and during summer weather the scent comes alive just when you think it is dead. This is not a fragrance for trying to pick up women, it's fragrance to feel like a confident man.

Seems to be very popular but I haven't smelled it on other people, and that's a beautiful thing.

Update 8/02/09: After owning this a few months now, I have to say that the longevity is really a big problem. You can spray this as many as 10 times on yourself and/or a shirt and can't smell it an hour later. Yes you can smell it very close to your skin hours later, but that's it. That's along with using the uncented lotion. Without the travel size Sephora sells this would be unusable. I doubt it's because of being used to smell since I just use it 1 to 2 times a week.

I still really love the scent but I am considering something longer lasting when this bottle runs out.

26th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 02nd August, 2009)

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

I think this is the most underrated, best kept secret in cologne. This is a rare re-purchase for me after owning it several years ago. I used to get a lot of compliments about it and recently it was on sale at Walgreen's so I picked it up again. I can't believe how good this stuff really is. I think the negative remarks are from initial applications. Yes it smells like bad medicine when first sprayed out of the bottle. The drydown is completely the opposite, hence 360 degrees I guess. Very clean, fresh and woodsy. Longevity is great, about 5 or 6 hours.

If you think spending $70 on a designer bottle makes a cologne great, this isn't for you. If you are only concerned with the actual fragrance, get this! Then enjoy the fact you own something that a million other hipsters don't have, spent $40 and smell great all at the same time.

26th April, 2009

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

For a new fragrance, this is surprisingly long lasting and refreshing. I tried this from a sample not really expecting very much given the fact that the original Baldessarini cologne is so weak. Just a few spays will last all day. The dry down smells of musk/vanilla/leather to me. I don't detect the whisky but maybe you have to use it for awhile. At any rate I will be making this part of the rotation in the future.

25th May, 2007

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

This is definately run of the mill and very generic. Luckily I used a sample instead of buying. This scent is so common it smells like Cerutti Image with even less staying power (about an hour). In fact you've probably smelled this so many times it's going to be one of the reasons it fades so fast. If this is what you want, get Axe instead. It's cheaper and will last longer. In about a year nobody will be carrying this anyway.

25th May, 2007

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

Smells like Armani Code version 2. In fact I'm not all that sure if there is a difference. Seems to me like they might just be capitalizing on the success of Code.

14th May, 2007

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This is a fragrance I've come to really enjoy after wearing a few times. It smells great. Very classy, not overpowering, not too sweet and will not give you a headache. I don't detect the lemon as much as others but that's only in the opening anyway. The drydown smells like a million bucks. Longevity on me is only about 4 hours (stays close to skin about 8 to 10). 6 to 8 sprays isn't overdoing it since you just get short bursts anyway. Try the spray on the t-shirt trick for a lingering effect.

BTW Realities is very similar as some have said, problem is it has no longevity at all and you won't know you had ever applied it 1 hour later. There's a reason it has disappeared from store shelves.

14th May, 2007

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

This is definately one of the best colognes I have ever used. Longevity is excellent, far superior to the new sweet smelling colognes that usually last an hour. I easily got over 7-8 hours, and the tip about spraying on an undershirt really works. Two sprays to the neck, two to your shirt, one on the wrist and your set. No more, as this is a power scent in every sense of the word!

If you want something masculine, classy and long-lasting, pick this up.

12th May, 2007

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

It will remind you of Angel Men, with a twist. The sweetness is toned down and the scent has more sophistication. Sillage is pretty good, with just 2 or 3 spays you get 5 or 6 hours (stays close to the skin about 9 or 10). For me, nothing outstanding since it still reminds me too much of A*Men.

11th May, 2007

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

I could almost give this one a neutral rating because it is a really great scent, but it has no longevity at all. It might last about an hour, 2 maybe (and that's if you empty the bottle). Maybe if it was at least eau de toilette it might be better.

09th May, 2007

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Way over-hyped. I tried this at Dillards and couldn't believe how terrible this stuff really smelled. Reading about it you would think it's sex in a bottle. Maybe if you have this plus $50 in your hand.

30th April, 2007

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

This is very much a love it or hate it fragrance. It's true that it is intense sweetness when first applied, but like most will tell you, it's all about the drydown. Has a really good vanilla/musk combo that's not too fem. This is great for people who like frags like A-Men but don't want to have something every other guy owns. The only issue for me is the jury is still out on sillage. I seem to get about 3 hours out of this one. Layering with shower gel or using almond oil might be the answer.

29th April, 2007

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Great impression of this new cologne and very pleased with it. This is a great, non-offensive scent with initial hints of citrus and final hints of patchouli and musk. Long lasting (over 4 to 5 hours in conjunction with the aftershave). This fragrance has been released and is available at most major department stores.

04th November, 2004