Reviews by hanna.sunden

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Opium gives me a headache because of the persistent carnations and the peach (a note that has a similar effect on me in Nahema) that go off with a blast from the very start. Other than these two, I picked out the initial citrus, then patchouli, cinnamon, incense (myrrh?), on a heavy base of musk, amber, sandal/cedarwood and vanilla. I do appreciate the fact that it's a well-made, iconic scent with a strong personality – something that's all too rare these days. It does smell very seventies and slightly dated in all its hippy-ish oriental glory.

14 September, 2011

Jeanne Lanvin by Lanvin

An ever so slightly more interesting (aargh!) fruity floral thanks to the peony, overall though this is mind-numbingly dull and similar to those millions of other citrusy/pink-white florals that are lining the shelves of your average high street shop. So safe, so stereotypical. Had higher hopes for this one.

15 February, 2011

Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Delicious! Not having read the list of ingredients I actually thought the cherries were a sort of screaming tuberose that got very food-y because of the sweetness of the juice. In the middle notes I got a very resinous vanilla, something reminding me of tonka... Along with a spicy, slightly burnt note which I guessed was something along the lines of myrrh or lapsang suchoung. A gourmand oriental would be my description. Couldn't stop smelling my wrist when I wore it.

11th February, 2011

D&G L'Imperatrice 3 by Dolce & Gabbana

I really wanted to like this D&G range, but so far they have all let me down (I've tried three of them). This one's definitely on the fruity side of fruity floral. The kiwi and watermelon were really dominant. I thought it smelled really peach-y at first but it's not a listed ingredient. With these types of girly, fruity frags I find it really difficult to separate the different fruits, it just becomes a sweet, overpowering mess...

In the middle I got some white florals (lilies? Freesia?) and waterlily or something softly aquatic, with a faint whiff of musk.

Inoffensive and uninteresting.

07 February, 2011

D&G La Roue de la Fortune 10 by Dolce & Gabbana

Another dull specimen in this D&G range... At the opening I got sickly-sweet pear/orange vanilla and tuberose, it settled and got more interesting with a deepened more resinous, burned sweet note. It became very gourmand in the middle with what I perceived as a slight toffee/cocoa bean accord. It definitely got more bearable as time went on, but that might've been just because it faded.

03 February, 2011

D&G La Lune 18 by Dolce & Gabbana

Utterly, utterly pointless. Does the world really need another fruity floral? The minimalist bottles and allegedly unisex approach flirts with niche perfumery, but this scent has nothing resembling a personality. On me it starts off with the usual "fresh feminine" accord incorporating the usual citrus (lemon, orange?), fruit (green apple, pear, peach?), a very clean rose. After a while it goes more fruity and very slightly spicy (cinnamon?) and you can detect some vague woody base, possibly sandalwood. Deeply uninteresting, YAWN.

02 February, 2011

Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean-Charles Brosseau

A lovely ultra feminine, traditional, super-soapy honeyed, linear rose. It made me really happy when I tried it, on a theoretical, nostalgic level but I'd never buy it because I prefer much dirtier scents!

01st January, 2011

Eau Mega by Viktor & Rolf

So disappointing, this one. I totally agree with the previous reviewer, what I mostly got was heaps of melons thrown at me, in addition to an unpleasant synthetic fruity note that appeared more clearly in the drydown, could it be pear? Strangely, after a few hours it turned out very similar to Laura by Laura Biagiotti (which is pleasant enough but very tame). Could it be an aquatic note in combination with violet leaf?

Anyway, this is a fragrance that's the opposite of its name. Waste of time, waste of money.

18 December, 2010

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Hairspray, white florals (jasmine, freesia, lily of the valley?), red berries and citrus on a base of patchouli and popcorn. Hm, I'm thirty and felt like this is something I would've outgrown by the time I was thirteen. But then (shudder) fruity florals was never my thing....

17 December, 2010

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

On me, it started out with a really fizzy, sharp and chemical citrus blast (grapefruit? Plus according to my boyfriend, superglue) and settled down into a sweet, milky, and rather nauseating fig that went on forever (and don't get me wrong – I love fig but prefer the greener take on it as opposed to the fleshy/sweet direction). As the fig faded out the famous marine accord became more evident. Rather like Salt Air by Demeter, but less appealing in combination with the icky fig. I appreciate the introductory notes because they were a bit odd compared to other mainstream frags, but that's the most flattering I could say about it.

12 December, 2010

Aqua Allegoria Gentiana by Guerlain

To me, Gentiana is a positively foody with all the citrus fruits, pear and vanilla being thrown at you all at once. It's upbeat, fun and well composed but for me personally it's not nearly sophisticated enough.

27 November, 2009

Kapsule Floriental by Lagerfeld

Hm, I feel a little confused. I can totally detect both the ivy leaf and violet. But what I mostly get is a wildly sweet, woodsy... something. Must be the tea, then. For some reason this instantly reminded me of Sui Dreams (which is orange, wood and vanilla heaven). To me it's really food-y and warm. Pleasant and comforting enough but I wouldn't buy it.

22 September, 2009