Reviews by

Conquest for Men by Agatha Brown

Conquest is an incredible fragrance. It's smooth, it's warm, it's cozy and it's very wearable. Agatha Brown's creation is like a beautiful child.... filled with a natural, radiating beauty, but tentative and self-conscious. Conquest leans towards florals, but inches a foot backwards... waves at amber but recoils a hand slightly. Conquest is a scent that nods at many different varieties but never quite commits to any. This is "not" a fault; however - sort of like an Obsession without the sharpness and Jaipur without the spicy overload. Conquest is slightly soapy, smooth, ambery and wonderful. One of a kind. Sillage is great, longevity could be better.

Burberry for Men (Version #2) by Burberry

Classic fragrance that I can't seem to wrap my head around. As a fan of many Burberry fragrances, I delighted at the chance to try one of the "vintage" formulas. From the get go, the mixture reminded me of a leather belt marinading in a balsamic vinegar dusted with pine needles. It may have been skin chemistry, but this Burberry offering became insanely tangy and cloying on me. I will not revisit this disappointment, and in fact.. my salivary glands are becoming active in just thinking about it (and not in a good way).

Yatagan by Caron

Whooo-heee, what a scent. How can you "not" love such a forceful stab at fragrance-making? Yatagan is foody, yes.. it's dry and spicy, of course. Will it push others to their knees.. likely. This woodsy herbal concoction is like liquid poison right out of the bottle, but given time to mellow... it becomes quite a natural and alluring fragrance. Hints of drywoods and distant smokey body, mixed with a virile sweatiness.. make this stuff special. I understand the mixed opinions on this one, but pencil me in on the "hell yes" side, my friends.

Sables by Annick Goutal

Sables brings my senses to a height that few other fragrances manage to do. Bursting forth with a syrupy sweet opening, Sables reminds me of some of the SL's sweeter offerings. As time progresses.... Sable's magic unfolds. The overtly sweet notes are mellowed substantially by an herbal bouquet that keeps the sugar at bay. Sables is one of those rare fragrances where all the notes just "fit". The longevity and sillage are superior.... and though this fragrance beckons a coolish weather climate, it stuns. I will "never" be without a bottle of this Goutal.

Façonnable by Façonnable

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the similarities between this fragrance - CK's Eternity for men and Pleasures by Lauder. All three fragrances are sharp floral fragrances that maintain some degree of fresh base. All three can be cloying if overapplied and all three are underwhelming. Facconable has a fair enough drydown, but is far from interesting. It fits an occasional longing for a floral dousing, but aside from that it's not really a bottle I'd look to replace.

Fracas for Men by Robert Piguet

Very strange fragrance. I would say that it has much more in common with Drakkar Noir than it does Habit Rouge. As previously stated, it's a spicy floral mix that starts off quite soapy. Initially, I was quite intrigued by it.. but as the scent developed on my hand, I got more and more tired of it. The florals are too pungent and the overall quality of the fragrance doesn't strike me as very good. It smells a lot like a Drakkar knok-off I owned when I was younger. It is quite a tangy fragrance, but certainly not one I would reach for very often. Much better floral citrus options available. Even for the low price, I wouldn't bother.

08 February, 2007

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

Not a very big fan of leather fragrances to begin with, but on the rare occasions that I might gravitate to one.. Cuiron would definately be my choice. It lacks the harshness of other leather based frags I have tried, ie Bel Ami... a soft and smooth take on this "type" of scent. The sweetness of the plum helps keep the brash nature of the leather under check.. and helps give it a depth and character that is quite unique among these types. Quite sexy and sensual. Good sillage and longevity. A must have for leather fans.

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

Insanely similar to Jacomo's Paradox.. they both possess the synthetic mint burst, smoothed out with a sweet tonka base that is both unremarkable and slightly off-putting.. This fragrance gets old pretty quick. The sharp purple bottle colour is striking and the rubber trigger is quite practical.. but I can't see anyone getting overly excited about this light, brief lasting..short in depth offering by Paco...

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Earthy-pine tree, heavy, spicy, cold weather classic. Perfect fragrance for Christmas time... Manages to be both dense and fresh at the same time.
    I enjoy it thoroughly

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

Minotaure is one of the first fragrances I ever sampled, so for that alone it will always hold a nostalgic place in my heart.. unfortunately there is something about the fragrances that is just a little too much over the top for my liking. It's about as sweet as they come... a synthetic vanilla/ambery oriental/gourmandish concoction that has a strong orange note that comes off as way to saccharine and abrasive. In addition, I've been told on numerous occasions that it smells "cheap". Definately a scent for the cooler months and to be applied sparingly. Great bottle, good sillage and longevity. For a smoother, less "in your face" option.. try Roma Uomo...

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Of the many notes, the two that dominate this fragrance in my opinon are the Anise and vanilla. For those who dislike these ingredients.. avoid. Lolita is a very precious, deliciously smooth powedery blend that is slightly reminiscent of scents like Arpege and Le Male.. but retains a uniqueness that merits its own presence in a fragrance wardrobe. This gourmand also manages to retain an organic earth-like quality with hints of violet and barley water.. Sweet but not cloying at all... With excellent longevity and sillage.. i can often smell this fragrance on my shirt a day later. With an extremely well crafted bottle, Lolita is a fragrance that captures both innocence, seduction and the mystical.. in a bottle. I have received "incredible" feedback on it.. and have yet to smell it on another male.. One of my top 10 fragrances.. no question.. do yourself a favor and at least sample it.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

It took me a little while to figure out this fragrance. Though there are vast differences between the two colognes, something about L'instant's spicy/woody warmth is reminiscent of M7, without the sweetness and smokey nature. Quite versatile oriental... and though friends describe it as "stuffy" and a little "old man-ish".. but it is one of the scents that has me sniffing my wrist incessantly. A deliriously "yummy" refined and masculine blend. I find the longevity and sillage very good. Very well made fragrance...

09 May, 2006

Cigar by Rémy Latour

A very nice spicy opening.. very reminiscent of a synthetic rendition of "cigar smell". Unfortunately, the fragrance doesn't develop much.. has very little depth and for a heavy cigar type fragrance.. has embarrasingly poor longevity. Certainly not a bad men's cologne.. but it's one of the fragrances where the cheap price pretty much equals the quality you get.

09 May, 2006

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Oh boy "Vench" why are you hurting me so? Maybe it's skin chemistry, but to me this comes off as nothing more than rotting orange peels, stale coffee with a hint of mint.. Great bottle, very creative frag direction for Givenchy, but very pooly executed, and blended for that matter. Too many notes clash and fight each other, rather than complimenting each other's individual strengths. Unfortunately the sillage and longevity are very good. Much better chocolate/coffee note scents on the market. IMHO

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

if A*Men is the unpredictable, exciting party animal of a sibling.. then B*Man is his more mature, conservative and reliable older brother. This isn't to say that B*Man doesn't have its own merits. It is pleasant enough to make an appearance on a fall evening, or among other cold weathered nights, but it just lacks the "pizzazz" that made A*Men a classic. And even upon holding B*Men in its own light, apart from A*Men..it still doesn't thrill me. It almost smells like wet woods mixed with grenadine..not a huge amount of depth or development. I don't dislike it as strongly as a lot of basenoters, but I do agree that of the two frags, A*Men blows this one out of the water.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A slightly musty, crisp yet spicy fragrance reminiscent of men's shaving cream. In my opinion, this fragrance as a distance to it..a detached quality that reeks of confidence and masculity. With not even a remote hint of sweetness, this frag is a welcomed change to the predominance of Oriental/Gourmands in my collection.. I don't wear it frequently, but I hold it in high esteem..and see why it's a favorite. Unfortunately, I've received mostly negative 'geezer' comments regarding it.. with good sillage and longevity, in terms of quality..a top notch choice.

Pi by Givenchy

One dimensional take on sweet. Pure Vanilla with slight woods and florals. Apply with caution, as it can be very cloyingly sweet. Longevity and sillage are incredible with this fragrance and though the bottle is one of the most uniquely designed, the juice just isn't very wearable. On very cold evenings perhaps.. this is one "pi" that I won't be having seconds of! (that was even worse than my usual swill)

Nightflight by Joop!

The word that best described Joop! Nightflight is "clean".. almost clean to the point of being a household scrubbing threat of a scent. Very fresh citrus burst to start things off.. and an equally pristine crystal clear drydown. Innofensive.. with a touch of "laundry on the line" freshness.. Nightflight, though not really to my taste.. is quite unique... and well developed, especially held in comparison to its pink cousin.

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

The best way to describe this scent is.. D&G PH, with a "smile". Interestingly, though the notes in the two fragrances are very different.. i get a very subtle tobacco scent..probably generated from a mix of the bitter coffee and other notes... but a much lighter and very slight take on the tobacco flavour than scents like Dreamer and D&G. Much more alive, and floral.. and appealing.. Miracle is a great fragrance, and one that doesn't get enough attention. Longevity and Sillage are average... Great daytime scent.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Very fresh very floral, very unique fragrance. Manages to pull off watery/flowery without being overly feminine. A moonlit walk by a sparkling pond. Not a light fragrance, be careful when applying. On nice summer days when I don't feel like slathering on the spice or sweetness of a lot of frags, I turn to L'eau D'issey. The Yuzu and Lily come off as quite soothing. I know a lot of people that found this frag to turn sour on their skin, so as always.. better to test before purchase!

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Oh boy.. Joop!.. what to say.. I smelled this fragrance on a test card primarily, and was quite intrigued by it's cough syrupy... cherry chiclet aroma.. Unfortunately when I actually spritzed in one my own skin I couldnt handle the smell that arose from the ordeal, and trust me..sweetness in fragrance isn't something I shy away from... It's just too much.. much too much

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

A rather vast improvement on the floral pungent oddity that is Insense. With a strong marine accord, the flowers have been muted, and a salty sea note has been added to create a fragrance that is reminiscent of a slightly sweeter version of Kenzo PH.. in bloom. The opening notes can be a little overwhelming on the senses, but if you can hang on through to the drydown.. I find it to be quite nice on the skin, in contrast to what a lot of basenoters think.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Gucci envy screams mischief. It's a hypnotic, woody bittersweet green fragrance.. that is exremely well blended and works wonders with my skin. It's very sensual and sexy and the sillage is incredible. The occasional waft of this elixir takes my breath away and for a green/oriental blend.. this scent works wonders in heat. The more I sweat, the more it comes alive.. and shouts. "Come hither, my dear...". The Gucci Envy serpent slithers way with subtlety into the olfactory system.. and grips your senses.. with its deliciously sensual fangs.. Envy = Enjoy...

Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss

Very different take on Aqua fragrances. Most scents that claim themselves "aquatic" tend to be fresh, watery.. short lasting.. brief in depth.. but Elements has a sweetness to it..one that almost echoes Lacoste PH, but more "fun" and less one dimensional.. but equally synthetic... a nice drydown and possesses quite an impressive amount of sillage and longevity for a mere aqua scent!

Blue Jeans by Versace

synthetic candied tobacco scent.. smells faily cheap, and though inexpensive.. I don't see a real need for it.. Not bad, but nothing special.

Aramis Bermuda Tonic by Aramis

After a long days work, you head out to the local seaside patio restaurant, you sit down.. you feel the gentle breeze as it rustles the table umbrellas and dries the sweat on your brow. You sit down.. and you order a nice frosty drink.. one to quench your day long thirst.. stress just fades.. you smell the clean and crispness in the air, a hint of conconut and light fruit accord. The air has a soothing tropical quality, a light blend of all things summer, relaxation.. of a slower pace.. all things wonderful.. you look around to see where this smell is coming from, then you remember..oh yes, it's the Bermuda Tonic!

Magnetism for Men by Escada

I used to have a much greater appreciation for this fragrance than I do now... it opens with a chlling metalic/grapey sheen.. and mellows to a light yet slightly saccharine yet very sensual/sexy base.. that is weak in terms of both sillage and longevity... I am always excited to spirtz this fragrance, but usually let down with the results. Very unique scent, but lacks a little bit in the depth department, a little too light.. in my opinion... something about this scent reminds me of a warmer more sultry version of Versace Man.. less green more fruity...Have I been Magnetized? Marginally.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Wow.. sexy sexy sexy scent! The tonka base helps to create a drydown that is truly mysterios and oriental. The black bottle suits the mood of this fragrance perfectly. Though a fairly light fragrance by oriental standards, I would not consider this a scent to wear in overly casual situations.. the seemless blend of florals, sweetness and slight woods.. make this choice great for office, formal.. or romantic situations. I would consider this.. a James Bond scent.

Hei by Alfred Sung

Not the most original scent to come out in years.. but I must admit that I find fresh crisp, watery nature quite appealing. I have never been a fan of Sung fragrances, but Hei is very pleasant and quite cheap "in these parts". Best suited for warm weather and don't expect it to last very long..

Sentiment for Men by Escada

Not half as horrendous as a lot of people make it out to be. Sure it's slightly synthetic and sure it won't be the kind of scent that will change your life or reach holy grail status, but it's quite pleasant..in the least. A sweetish blend of fruit and woods that borders on feminine but somehow doesn't wander too far over the line. A light and pleasant scent that would almost be better suited as a body spray, as opposed to an EDT... I enjoy wearing Sentiment, and receive many compliments from members of the opposite sex. I suppose there's something attractive about a guy confident enough in hid "manhood" to wear fruit ;)