Reviews by

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

Synthetic.. dull. Infact, I will put as little effort into reviewing this fragrance than Givenchy did at creating it.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Not a fragrance for the weak of heart. Very spicy, very assertive and very powerful oriental scent that is warm and strong. It's almost as though somebody took Obsession for Men and loaded it with a mysterious and pungent blend of herbs.. almost gypsy-like in its playful but dangerous nature. Nice smell, just wish it was a little more dillute than it is. It also contains a very synthetic quality that puts me off. That being said, there are days..though few and far between... that I really love this fragrance. And this scent deserves its "props" in sillage and longevity.. Can't think of another single fragrances with better lasting power.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Calvin Klein's one and only true masterpiece. One of the most distinct and original fragrances released in the last 20 years. Nothing exudes warmth, class and comfort like Obsession for Men. Take a smooth oriental, blend in a hint of sweetness.. but not the kind that comes from vanilla.. a Great ambery sandalwood drydown that maintains a very unique character... Masculine but not stuffy.. warm and soft... a true "cuddle up" classic.

Nature Millénaire pour Homme by Yves Rocher

The smell of dirt and decomposition... one of the least wearble fragrances I have ever encountered. Putrid.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

A nice take on tobacco.. similar to "the Dreamer" by Versace, but less upsetting on the nose and less synthetic smelling in my opinion... the safe man's Dreamer. There's nothing overly complex or ground-breaking about this scent. It's quite versatile, pleasant and masculine. Quite happy to have this in my arsenal.

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

This fragrance doesn't really seem to make much sense to me.. very conflicting notes in my opinion. Something about this scent is vague;y reminiscent of the smokey nature of Bulgari Black, but when you insert a dose of Cinnamon.. a little anise.. you have a very strange concoction..and one that doesn't really know what direction it wants to take your senses.. is it sweet, smokey... musky? A little bit of all of the above.. hence the confusion.. and lack of assertiveness on how to take this very well priced scent...

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

A deliciously synthetic creamy sweet, slightly femine blend. Easily cloying if overapplied... Something about this fragrance reminds me of Mugler's Alien for women. A cherry coke ice cream float of a scent. In no way a classic fragrance, but at a very reasonable price.. it's a very playful and fun take on 'sweet' and one that seems a lot more wearable than some of the other gourmand powerhouses, pi for example.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

This fragrance doesn't really encite positive or negative passion in me.. I guess.. I'm indifferent. I enjoy this scent on my father, as it suits his character.. the pepper, the tea.. the smokey dry feel is certainly nice on the nose, but I can't ever see myself getting excited about wearing it. As previously mentioned, this scent wears very close to the skin.. so for people looking to leave a euphoric vapor trail.. look elsewhere!

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

My feelings regarding this fragrance are quite wishy washy. Some days I find it to be an ultra-smooth refined take on a sweetened leather with a tasteful touch of floral... rich and heady. Other days it almost touches off my gag reflex. I very distinct fragrance, and one that is worn quite commonly here in Ottawa Canada. It's a scent that "oozes" quality and dignity and one that has "modern classic" written all over it. When it's good it's really really good.. but when it's bad.. it's horrid!

Alessandro Dell'Acqua Man by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

Poorly, poorly conceived fragrance. Dull, fresh opening.. and a drydown that never really seems to happen. This scent possesses a very floral feminine quality and just seems generally out of place. Avoid.

Yang by Jacques Fath

Yang is the first tea-based scent I have really gravitated towards. I find that traditional tea scent approach to be dry and heavy on the smoke notes. Yang however manages to combine a mildly sweet and fruity feel to their tea notes while keeping the smokey nature of the scent to a palatable minimum. Yang is a complex yet very well blended cologne that is dark yet flamboyant, fresh yet deep. Wear it anytime, and anywhere.. and bask in it's uplifting and sensual appeal. Cup of tea anyone?

Iceberg Twice Homme by Iceberg

Twice is a very underappreciated and quite inexpensive fragrance! I liken it to a lighter, more versatile take on Hannae Mori for Men. Less on the chocolate and sweetness, replacing those notes with a hint ofminty freshness and floral bouquet that still manages to retain a hint of the H.M. gourmand quality. Not as cloying, and the longevity is surprisingly good. For folks who find H.M. a little much, a stab at Iceberg Twice might be an option.

Happy for Men by Clinique

Happy for men by Clinique is easily one of my favorite summertime scents. It bursts forth with a fresh and moth-watering fruity cocktail and dries down with a touch of green.. just enough to keep the fragrance from turning into a fruit punch type elixir. Short on longevity, surprisingly good sillage, this is a true "sport" fragrance.. and one that will never garner a negative response.

Cristobal pour Homme by Balenciaga

Sweet and classy has never been so good! Most of the sweeter oriental and gourmand scents are best suited for evenings out or less formal settings, but Cristobal with its tobacco/vanilla base and non-cloying sweetness come off as both playful and sophisticated. I can imagine wearing this to a boardroom meeting or on a hot date. Not many frags walk that balance as well as Cristobal. I don't really see the comparisons with Joop! and would certainly not place them even in the same room

Cool Water by Davidoff

Fresh, inoffensive.. versatile. Cool Water is a staple in my wardrobe, and something that I wear when I am not in the mood for something challenging on the senses or heady. "I've got the Johnson's baby powder and Cool Water cologne!" Hey.. if the stuff is good enough for Snoop Dogg, who am I to bite my thumb? ;)

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

A lot of reviewers cite this fragrance as a better option than the famed A*Men, but I don't think so in the least. Animale Animale smells spicier and heavier, without half the pizzazz of A*Men. They both possess similar chocolate notes and gourmand sweetness, but if A*Men were an orchestra, then Animale Animale would be elevator music. It's not really a bad scent, it just doesn't offer anything to me that I havn't already found in superior gourmand fragrances. Wonderfully creative and sexy bottle design though.

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

I had high hopes for this fragrance, but halas it let me down. It's not as though it's a "bad" scent, and it is infact very well made... I just find that the honey base is too strong and that the other notes don't balance it out enough for it to appeal to me. Other reviewers are bang-on when they describe Bois D'Argent as a buttery sweet concoction and succeeds fully at what it tries to do, but to me it warrants nothing more than a giant "meh" and a shrug. I'll keep the honey for my toast thank you very much.

Aramis Life by Aramis

This fragrance frustrates me more than Andre Agassi's bald head. I love the fragrance's opening... a fresh and exuberant burst of aquatic and fruity goodness, but very soon after that.. the smell turns quite sour on my skin, which is not something desired in a fresh modern fragrance. Could be cucumber note that stands out and upsets me so. Could have been great Aramis.. could have been swell, but Mr. Agassi didn't wear on me so well.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Oh my god Anthony, you smell like a church! was the comment that my girlfriend at the time made when I came home wearing this after treating myself to a birthday purchase. Great cold weather woodsy insency fragrance that has a very gothic majestic, confident feel to it. This isn't a clubbing fragrance..

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

One of my least liked fragrances. To me it smells nothing more of synthetic grassy water. Doesn't last at all on me either. Just can't see a reason to wear this mess of a fragrance, even as a light summery option. Better alternatives out there, better executed ones.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Welcome to one of the most versatile scents in my wardrobe. Wonderful powdery sweetness that manages to be masculine yet avoids the Alpha-Male cliches that a lot of frags do. Brit can be worn just about anytime and is very inoffensive. A great "blend in" scent, and as previous posts have mentioned.. one that gets a lot of positive feedback.. That being said, it is also one that is worn quite frequently here in Ottawa, Canada... but nonetheless, i love my brit and wear it quite frequently..

Tel Quel by Yves Rocher

I received this fragrance as a throw in on a swap, and was very pleasantly surprised. It's a very sweet and fruity scent, one that evokes a sort of tropical mood, but not in the aquatic/fresh sense. Whenever I wear Tel Quel, I am reminded of coconut milk, pina coladas.. more of a sweet tropical cocktail of a scent.. in a really unique coloured bottle as well. If you get a chance, give it a go!

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

I get what this scent is trying to do... dark, brooding, thick.. smokey, but to be honest it's a little much. The floral notes clash with the smokey character in a way that makes my scent glands want to run to the next province and bury themselves in the sand. This fragrance is like a train wreck.. it intrigues me, I look every now and then.. but regret when my curiosity takes me to that unfortunate place.

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Roma is simply Minotaure's less vicious cousin. Actually, if you remove Minotaure's offputting orange note, invite Hannae Mori to the party and make sure that Jacomo has his Paradox close by... throw the three into a cake pan and bake for half an hour.. you have ROMA! It kicks off with a very Paradox like freshness, almost a minty character... then melts into a smooth blend of spices and vanilla that is very reminiscent of Minotaure and Hannae Mori. Personally, I think that Roma does the whole quasi Oriental/Gourmand thing a lot better than the other two, and in less cloying fashion and if it weren't for such a poor longevity.. this scent would be pretty close to perfect, in my opinion. Lighter than many gourmands/Orientals, this frag is a little more versatile than scents like Opium/A*Men and so on.

Visit by Azzaro

This one was a grower on me. At a time where I was gravitating to Orientals and Gourmands, this seemed very out of place in my wardbrobe. The initial burst of pepper was a little strong for my palate, but it does infact settle into one of the "coldest" feeling drydowns I have experienced. The Woody/spicy tone of this fragrance would suit a damp rainy afternoon quite well. For me this is one of my "moody" scents, and one I keep out of my rotation in warm and inviting weather. For fans of scents like M7, Gucci PH, Gucci Rush and so on.. this should be a staple..

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

This salty marine conconction intrigues me to no end. It's real, unabashed and brave. Unfortunately I rarely find an opportunity to wear it and those around me often dislike it immensely. It kind reminds me of a less floral, better made version of Insense Aquamarine. I reach for Laguna PH much more often, to get my salty oceanic fix. This is certainly a work, and one that I enjoy having in my collection, but not one that comes out to play all that often.

Havana by Aramis

I received this much "talked about" fragrance in the form of a half-full 30oz bottle in a swap. I had such high expectations, and upon first sampling it I was taken back by how strong and chaotic the top-notes were. Infact I wasn't even sure I liked it. But over time, I found myself reaching for it again, and again and the more I wore it the more I grew to love this scent, especially its marvelous dry-down. The Tobacco note is a lot warmer and sweeter than that of.. say, the Dreamer. A very well made fragrance, one that commands attention and one that screams masculine, assertive yet sensual. Warm Tobacco with spice, hints of sweetness and an overall smooth headiness that is unequalled.

Escada Homme by Escada

Boozey, powdery, greasy... not for me. Even a more well crafted "Michael" is still a Michael. Effective at what it does, just not to my own personal liking...

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

Oh my do I love this fragrance. It is making its second "tour de force" in my wardrobe.. the first time it didn't really stick, but the second time around.. WOW... what a vibrant fragrance. It almost smells like less of a fragrance and more like some natural sex musk that she skin gives off.. the way it blends into your epidermis is incredible. I don't find it as potent as many others here do... and I find that it wears a little TOO close to the skin, but in warm weather..this scent really works its magic. Buy your BY today!

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

What to say about Bvulgari Black. One of my favorite scents, despite it's lack of evolution. What you see is what you get.. as mentioned previously, you get your smoke, rubber and vanilla.. pretty much in that order... and the combination is something quite alluring. To me, it is reminiscent of Lolita for men, without the heavy Anise tone. Something about this fragrance reminds me of a freshly opened box of Christmas Ornaments. That being said, my one issue with this scent is the fact that on my skin it just doesn't last.. within 3 hours it has disappeared fully. Like a one night stand, Black is great while it sticks around.. but it always leaves me forlorn, staring into the rainswept streets.. pensively..