Reviews by

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

One of the only fragrance that a department store SA pushed on me that actually clicked. A very masculine sexy, spicy fruity pepper opening that is smoothed out quite luxuriously with a very nice vanilla base, but one that is quite atypical. I am a fan of many vanilla based scents, but this one has a very unique character. Classy yet soft, subdued but alive. Would suggest this fragrance to anyone who enjoys a pleasant sweetness in their scents but is tired of one-dimensional alternatives.

04th May, 2006

Bel Ami by Hermès

I swapped for Bel Ami blindly, based on some positive reviews I had read about it. I was needing something assertive and masculine in my collection, and a lot of people swear by it. Upon receiving the bottle, without even spritzing, I sniffed the top portion of the bottle, and instinctively turned away and muffled a gag. I have never reacted this strongly to a frag before in a negative sense. It is insanely sharp, overwhelming, relentless in its attack. Albeit, I am not a fan of leather scents to begin with, but this was beyond anything I had encountered. I don't think I could be within 10 feet of someone wearing this scent. Infact, just thinking about it makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and suck my thumb. I should probably bring up my Bel Ami exeperience in therapy.

04th May, 2006

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

very versatile and enjoyable fragrance. As with most red scents, there is a sweetness about Xeryus Rouge. What sets this one apart from other red fragrances in my opinion is the balance. It's sweet and warm and manages somehow to be light. This one can be worn during the day or for romantic evenings out. This was the first fragrance I fell in love with, and it is still a staple in my wardrobe. Great sillage, excellent longevity. For anyone who likes sweet scents but is put off by the cloying nature of some of the stronger gourmands, might I suggest this one as an alternative.

17th March, 2006

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This one is without a doubt, my all-time favorite scent. It's a tad dangerous, a little in your face and delicious on the senses. A smoky, hazey, woody but vulnerable fragrance that makes the think of saturday night campfires on a dreary rainy sunday morning. Girls I've worn it around have described it as a very "manly" scent, and I have not received any negative feedback on it. I wish the scent lasted a bit longer. For such a strong fragrance, it's longevity on me is suspect. overall, wonderful and very distinct gift to the world of smells.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Everyone's got a view on Le Male. I was much more enthusiastic about this scent when I first purchased it. It can either be EXTREMELY pleasing to the nose or quite annoying depending on application and mood. It's a warm and powdery scent, but at times can be irritatingly sweet. From my experience, girls have really enjoyed this fragrance on me. It is still one of my regulars, despite the fact that it seems that every third person wears it. Overall, still a good fragrance, just not the "touch of god" that I had thought about purchasing it.

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

After having read so many rave reviews about Jaipur, I found a well-priced bottle and purchased it. Upon first spray, I found it sweet, spicy and a little soapy at the start.. but unlike a lot of reviews here, the drydown is where this fragrance really shines. It blends into the skin nicely and achieves a very soft and warm balance - one that is majestic, and understated. I can't imagine very many people "not" liking this scent. I can imagine indifference, or adoration.. but I can't imagine anyone hating it. I am happy with the purchase, and though it won't be an every bottle, it will surface on romantic evenings and such. A very unique and well crafted fragrance.

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Red brings back nostalgic memories, and when worn sparingly can be quite an evocative scent. My friend on the other hand doused himself in it, and soiled the reputation of this distinct fragrance within our own circles. Spicy, vibrant, masculine, powerful.. this is not a scent for those who crave subtlety in their colognes. Great longevity.

19th February, 2006