Reviews by trapper

trapper's avatar
    trapper
    Romania Romania

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This juice starts very fresh, and you might get the first impression that it smells very cheap and generic (same pattern applies with Live Jazz) but you need to wait for it to unravel it's beauty, because this is a beautiful fragrance even though it's a best-seller and mass-market, people that have a lot of experience with fragrances tend to dismiss a popular fragrance because "the general idea of a fragrance it's not good".

The journey of this fragrance after the top notes is composed of a "green zone" which lasts for another 20 minutes then the beautiful drydown tonka bean is released.

This is amazing for hot humid weather because of it's small sillage and projection, and the longevity is fairly 5-6 hours for me and close to skin, which is a must for me in warm days.

I also bought the after-shave lotion for this, and it is very fresh, high quality, and the smell lasts resonably on my skin. Good juices

I also like his younger brother La Nuit de l'Homme, definitely top-notch fragrances.

07 May, 2013

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I was walking through the mall, and upon seeing the fragrance store I thought to myself: "I haven't bought a fragrance in a long time", so I went there, tested the new ones I haven't tried before (I was surprised that they weren't so many) and I came across La Nuit de l'Homme which smelled amazing on paper, then I sprayed on my wrist and smelled amazing on my skin as well.

The ingredients seemed very high quality at least at first sniff, this perfume had a story to tell, had some hidden messages that were yet to be discovered, so I bought it, I went to the counter and there was an offer at a cheaper price to get the same juice 60ml + aftershave balm + shower gel, I couldn't get any happier, 59eur for all that seemed like a good bargain (from a mall at least)

This scent starts with an unique spice and evolves in time and unravels it's seductive beauty, transforming itself into a sweet, a little powdery incense that is going a bit to a feminine side which doesn't bother me.

The aftershave balm goes in different direction than the fragrance, I expected a bigger similarity between the cologne and it, but the aftershave tends to be a little fresher and more subtle, lovely smell nonetheless. The showergell is top notch and makes you feel like you are bathing in a pool of La Nuit de l'Homme, great feeling.

If I didn't have so many memories attached to Body Kouros, I would mark this as the most seductive scent. In a way, I feel like this fragrance lays a foundation for memories, memories when you're experiencing the night, the silence, mystery and wonder, when all your scences get a neural association with the smell of La Nuit de l'Homme.

I have been impressed after a long time, congrats for the perfumers.

Theo.

02 May, 2013

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

I got this amazing scent a few weeks back, so I had time to experiment with it. It's sweet, very easy to like, impossible not to love it after 3 or 4 wearings. This fragrance has a very refined smell of tobacco and cherry vanilla pie, they combine perfectly into an unique aroma that will speak elegance whenever you wear it.

Because it's sweet, it projects, lasts long enough you might say it's good for clubbing, that may be very true but I'd like to associate this aroma with elegant and stylish events.

29 October, 2011

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

The image I get when I smell this fragrance is Tom Ford. It's just that elegant. Great iris note, great longevity and delicious drydown. A must have for me in my wardrobe.

04 February, 2011

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Outstanding clean , fresh , soapy , stylish fragrance.

This fragrance is smooth from top to drydown, notes are top quality, and for me it's definitely bottle-worthy. The only bad thing about it is the longevity which is 4-5 hours max.

31st January, 2011

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

What an awesome scent. But... it's not for me. It's top quality, smells very masculine, fresh, classy, has a resinous feel to it, and those sweetest spices are just delicious.

I like this one, quite a lot, but not my cup of tea because it reminds me of an aftershave my father used to wear when I was young, what an unfortunate association.

Don't misunderstand me this doesn't smell old, I comfortably wear and love Bois du Portugal, New York, but in here that pine accord reminds me of my father, and let's face it, it feels very weird to smell like your old man.

31st January, 2011

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

This is fragrance is so complex my head wants to explode. This is a beautiful creation, but it's not for me to wear it. This is why it's so weird I can have this on my wrist all day long, but when I give this a full wear I feel strange and unconfortable, it's not the kind of smell I picture a man should have.

I'm reviewing the fragrance so it's 10 stars out of 10. If you feel confortable wearing this one, then it's a must-buy for you, you lucky bastard.

25 January, 2011

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Chergui is an olfactory delight. It seduces every bit of your body and unravels the magic of life and pleasure. This is a fragrance that will keep growing and growing on you, and I do not see myself in the future without this precious piece of art.

It's best worn in the summer because heat and humidity bring this to it's true value. Named after a desert wind, chergui goes into your nostrils, then it reaches the brain and releases huge dosages of endorphines.

Chergui is a special scent, it's not something you can have in your rotation, it's rather a special occasion guest that will stay by you in the best moments of your life. It has become an emotion, the only fragrance along with A Taste Of Heaven By Kilian that succeded in shifting my mood and my mindset.

Thank you Serge Lutens.

12 January, 2011

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

Wow, something from D&G that I actually like. This is elegant, smooth, perfect for special occasions like a night out or a dinner in a fancy restaurant.

03 January, 2011

Visa by Robert Piguet

I agree with all the reviews below me. This thing is gorgeous, despite the fact it's made in 1947 this 2007 reformulation is very modern, the fruity top,t the mossy feel, are divine. I'm wearing it at the moment we speak, I wish I could pull this off but I find it very feminine for my tastes.

28 June, 2010

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Oh, what a lovely modern take on aquatics. The first time I smelled this I was flabbergasted because it really evokes the sea with it's spiciness and freshness.

This is versatile and elegant at the same time. For a marine scent, I can't see nothing wrong with it.

Some people might despise it for it's popularity, but the sales speak for themselves. I believe that it's freshness can bring up to life the young spirit in anyone.

Projection: Perfect
    Longevity: 4-5 hours
    Development: Linear
    Classification: Spicy Aquatic
    Versatility: Great
    Age: Any
    Gender: Masculine
    Overall: 10/10

18 June, 2010

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Oh, Hypnotic Person, the only female marketed fragrance I wear without being self-conscious. It starts with a stingy blast of almond dipped in vanilla. After 20 minutes, the jasmine starts to kick-in and the magical sweetness starts to appear. It's hard for me to describe it's entire development because no words can give you a feeling of what this can smell like.

It is so easy to love and I can't help myself taking a whiff of this while I write this review.

18 June, 2010

Royal Delight by Creed

First of all, I am a man and I proudly wear this one easily when I'm elegantly dressed. It's absolutely gorgeous. It may be intoxicating and heavy at first but it dims down and becomes suave.
    It speaks class, style and passion. Brilliant.

31st May, 2010

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

This is the kind of fragrance that just grows on you. I was neutral for it at first, now all I can say I love it.
    This is a darker version of his old brother BLV pour Homme. It is futuristic, it has depth, it stands out and smells awesome.

24 May, 2010

Hugo XY by Hugo Boss

Such a nice spicy cologne. It's so.. calming, so smooth, and it lasts. It can be used as your daily scent, it can also be used at formal occasions, it does not lack the one feature I love : versatility.

It starts with a blast of modern icy mint, not the kind you find in Live Jazz, and the pear tree leaf note is lovely. It then settles down to a cold icy minty fruity tea-like kind of vibe. The drydown is transparent, soothing and simple.

Overall: ***** (5 stars out of 5)
    Versatility: ***** (5 stars out of 5)
    Longevity: **** (4 stars out of 5)
    Projection: *** (3 stars out of 5)

15 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2010)

Cruel Intentions by By Kilian

Animalic, insanity, evil, beautiful, rose - are the words to describe the depth of this fragrance. It's sophisticated, has good longevity (not quite like Taste of Heaven which lasts 24 hours) but it's above average nonetheless.

Thumbs way up.

14 May, 2010

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

Uomo? Moschino first impressions: my god this is the fragrance kings of portugal, spain or other mediterranean empires would wear. It's so distinctive, so classy. light yet warm. I second the fact that it emulates an Italian aura, a lady-killer tanned italian aura, something like that.

Most versatile fragrance my nose has met.
    Longevity: average
    Projection: good

04 May, 2010

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Received this as a gift a couple of years ago, it was love at first sniff, oh what a delight.. Hugo Boss #6 is candy sweet (sometimes cloying in the heat) , fruity , elegant fragrance. It's hip , modern and better suited for the youth.

It's so interesting, inspiring, evocative, provocative, the apples blasted in the top-notes get surrounded by the flower based mid-notes : tagetes, geranium and cloves, simply genious. A signature fragrance of my youth, a reflection of my ego.

Longevity : average to good
    Projection: very good
    Versatility : average. I now wear this casually, often as a night fragrance, but sometimes during the day when I'm in the mood.

04 May, 2010

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

First impression: How did I get in this green grass field surrounded by vanilla clouds ?

Versatile, Fresh, Complex, Green, High Quality Fragrance. Worth addition to my humble collection.

02 May, 2010

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

This is so nice, smooth, masculine and elegant. A complex fragrance of a simple man, this is how I see it. It starts off smelling like a Hospital or some sort of medicine, but that only last 20 minutes (thank god) and it develops into a nice sweet, woody heart (almost identical to Creed's Himalaya heartnote and Egoiste drydown) which you'll love because it projects and has more longevity than Himalaya.

It is clean but also mysterious, and the thing about these kind of fragrances is that women go crazy about them. I spray this 45 minutes before leaving the house and lasts 8-10 hours on my skin ( I wouldn't want it any other way )

Versatility : 10/10. This can be appropriate in any condition, weather, occasion, you name it. It can be casual as well it can be seductive.

Age: 19+. This is the kind of fragrance that sends a message: "I'm a real man, a gentleman, I have class and style" , this would sound a bit goofy from the mouth (skin) of a teenager.

Spraying: 2 on the neck's pulse-points, 1 chest, 1 wrist + tap the other wrist on it.

I don't see this as 'The poor man's Himalaya', I'd rather call Himalaya : the unpacient man's Paco Rabanne XS.

RATING:
    **** (4 out of 5 stars)

Cheers.

02 May, 2010

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Don't judge a perfume by the first 25 minutes an ancient quote said and said it very well.
    Live Jazz starts with a punch of lemon peel and unpleasant grapefruit and it quickly disappoints you, but let it cool down so the Coriander, Wild Reed, followed by the Ambergris (which is very dim, but pleasant) do their magic.

This is a fresh fragrance, unique, any man can pull this one off, a little bit classy, a little bit sporty, versatile, and because I received it at the same time I got the Dirt 2 game, whenever I spray it I have a flash of me driving on my console.

Not the association I would like for this fragrance, but still, it gets a thumbs up from me.

05 April, 2010

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

This is absolutely divine. By Kilian perfumes are fantastic with a lot of depth, but this one is my favorite, I love it.

27 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2010)

Royal Water by Creed

This is fantastic stuff. I wouldn't pay 250$ for 4oz of this, but I love it.

05 March, 2010

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Awesome fragrance. Too bad it has very very poor longevity (4-5 hours). Hey, that's life.

12 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st April, 2010)

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

For me, Dior Homme is a memory portal to an euphoric melodramatic place in a beautiful park on a chilly evening in late August. It sends you back to nature in a classy, luxurious way.
    The fragrance has very good longevity, despite the fact it is close-to-skin. It's absolute.

I might have just fallen in love.

11th February, 2010

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

B*Men is a different cologne from A*Men they don't have anything in common. Great fragrance though, very masculine.

27 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2010)

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Definitely LOVE or HATE because this fragrance is EXTREME.

Puff more than 3 sprays and it will cause nausea(it did to me, though i love it). Puff 1 spray and it will develop into something amazing, intriguing, masculine and sweet.
    Definitely LOVE on my side + this fragrance will make you noticed , awesome silage and projection.

I see myself wearing it in the fall, the winter and spring. Definitely not for the hot weather.

26 January, 2010

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

I don't know what's the big deal with it, but ladies, oh they adore this, they are DRAWN LIKE A MAGNET TO IT. It's sweetness takes bits of it's masculinity and for me it's just too citrusy. But if you wear a cologne for the ladies, you should get this.

The Dreamer by Versace

Truly remarkable masterpiece. These are the words to describe Versace's Dreamer. It's natural, it's unique, you get compliments anywhere from anyone has good longevity and the projection is close to skin. BUT THERE IS A BIG BUT, I hate the first 20-30 mins of it (that's why at first I was disgusted by it), it's simply too spicy and awful and it hurts my nose, but I would sacrifice anytime for it's simply outstanding dry down.

This perfume is good for any time of the year (except day-time in the hot days of summer), it has a dramatic impact, and it suits the youth 16-22 years.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

The smell is good, very green and fresh, and MASCULINE. You smell like a real man, but unfortunately, like real old man. I can't see myself wearing this until I'm 40 or 50. It was a very successful fragrance at it's time but.. times change, tastes change, we need something more modern.

It has good projection, long lasting (8-10 hours on my skin), I'll give it a thumbs up for it's unique smell.