Reviews by numbr9

numbr9's avatar
    numbr9

Volcan d'Amour by Diane Von Furstenberg

This is one of my best loved fragrances. I received it because a perf friend bought it on ebay & thought it had "turned". Having said this, obviously it's not for everyone. It is a really bold chypre with a big basil note that some chypre lovers shun. It is the scent I wore in the 80's to clubs that could get you noticed. I hear DVF has a garage full of it because she loves it so much.

14 September, 2006

Eau de Gucci by Gucci

Very soft, powdery & feminine. I wear this when I just want to smell girly & unobtrusive.

14 September, 2006

Havana by Aramis

Here's a woman's opinion: I have my bf wear this and nothing else, if you take my meaning. Ditto desmond - dead sexy!

Borsalino by Borsalino

I agree with Naed, this is a very nice scent but not terribly unique. It is great for a man to wear to the office. I think a very substantial & distinguished man would wear this.

Gem by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is a gorgeous fruity chypre in the same family as Femme by Rochas. It is so classic & elegant I recommend it for formal evening events. Pity it's discontinued.

KL by Lagerfeld

KL for women is so absolutely yummy & sexy! Its predominant notes are clove and tangerine, but it is smooth and rich, a little bit like Femme by Rochas. Very va va voom. Wear when you want to be delicious. One of my favorites.

La Parisienne by Holzman & Stephanie

When one has been searching for their Holy Grail scent for decades & finds something so right, well, it's a true joy to wear. Such a scent is La Parisienne for me. It sings with a sparkle of aldehydes, apple notes, & linden. It glows with rose & jasmin. Ahhhh how I love this scent. But bittersweet is the fact that it's production has been suspended. A prayer that Esther Holzman recovers and starts selling this again. It comes in an absolutely gorgeous hand-etched bottle.

Jaïpur Saphir by Boucheron

This and La Parisienne are my Holy Grail scents. I adore this scent because it's feminine without being too sweet or the tired, old fruity / foral stuff we're inundated with these days. It is cool and velvety but not too icey. It's unique but not too far out like Lolita Lempika. I feel so serene wearing this.

Rare Sapphires by Avon

Unusual luminous, scent makes me think of summer & sunlight. Watery without the usual marine notes. Now discontinued.

Peony Soft Musk by Avon

A real beauty, peony true to the flower combined with just enough musk to be refreshing but not just a girlish scent.

Comfort Scents - Spring Showers by Avon

I love this scent!!!!! it is so clean so fresh w/o the cliche' of so many of the fruity florals of the 90's. Lily of the valley, hyacinth yummmmmmm. Grab this one at the flea markets, yard sales & eBay!

Forest Lily by Avon

A collaboration between Diane Von Furstenburg & Avon, now discontinued. It is a lovely cool, green scent ...unusual as it has oak notes. Very different. Good if one likes woody, foresty notes.

Safari by Ralph Lauren

In the same family I'd say as Amazone, a green floral with alot going on. Dry green, woodyness, a rich heart a bit fruit and flowers to satisfy a craving for sweetness. Very classic, but not worn by the multitude, always gets compliments without being too showy. One of my personal favorites.

Tuxedo by Long Lost Perfume

Many comment on how womanly this scent is. It's round and warm has a certain va va voom a mature woman does not shy away from. I detect some rose but it's well-grounded with other notes & does not cloy.

Dreamlife by Avon

Vanilla meets pineapple. A fun mellow scent.

Haiku by Avon

Very subtle, unobtrusive, clean lily, & other white flowers. Wear this when you don't want to offend or come on too strong.

Rare Rubies by Avon

A spicey floral. Always get compliments on this one. Reminiscent of Opium but more delicate. Elegant & very feminine.

Somewhere by Avon

Along with Ariane ... similar to L'Aire du Temp. Very demure, a tad soapy & fresh. Like it lots as an everyday scent though discontinued is reissued once in a while by Avon.

Nocturnes by Caron

Nocturnes I describe as the kind of ethereal scent that an elven lady like Arwen from Lord of the Rings might wear. I wore it on my wedding day. It has orange blossoms as a prominent note which makes it suitable for a wedding scent. It has a cool floral/green quality like stepping into a mossy forest glade at twilight. I see it as different from many Caron fragrances in that it doesn't have the weightiness of many of the urn fragrances Caron makes.

22 December, 2004