Reviews by findtheriver

Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

RAID! Kills bugs dead

12 December, 2013

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

My problem with this fragrance isn't it's projection nor it's longevity. My problem is with its lack of personality. It's almost too safe. Too friendly. I see it as very..."Disney".
    It's a pleasant cinnamon bubblegum and milky tea that is lovely enough, I suppose... but ultimately bland.
    Oddly, It brings to my mind pastel sweaters, Mentos mints and Mr. Rogers neighborhood. I've given it a couple full wearings and still can't imagine when I would want to smell like this.

19 June, 2012

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I was going to blind buy this, I'm so glad I didn't. I was surprised how much I disliked this after reading so many positive reviews. Mostly I get a sharp syrupy grape candy smell which I couldn't wait to wash off. Many reviewers seem to have nostalgic memories attached to this fragrance but not me..I didn't even sample it until recently. No my cup of tea at all.

31st July, 2011

Cool Water by Davidoff

The Eddie Haskell of fragrances. Only June Cleaver would be fooled by the clean cut barbershop facade that this cologne presents. Those of us in the know see the mischievous bad boy lurking just below the surface. I love this scent!

24 July, 2011

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Great casual summer scent. It puts me in mind of hanging out with friends by the beach on a warm summer night.
    At the risk of turning someone off to this great cologne, I cant help but notice a slight resemblance to A and F Fierce. Perhaps a grown-up more complex version. In any case, it's good stuff.

11th July, 2011

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

From the ultra-fresh modernistic opening through the clove infused citrus middle, I really wanted to love this scent. Unfortunately the flowery powder smell in the dry down reminds me of the insides of a woman's vinyl makeup bag.

11th July, 2011

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Lots of similarities to Chanel Allure Homme Sport, however I like Versace PH better. I find VPH to have a crisper more modern edge to it as opposed to the tasty creamy orange notes of Allure. Both are fresh, clean and masculine but VPH seems to fit me better.

22 November, 2009

Pi Neo by Givenchy

Couldn't wait to get this stuff off my skin. I didn't get fresh clean scent at all. It smelled overly floral and "Avon-ish" to me.

18 November, 2009

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I agree with the couple of people who’ve said it reminds them of conifer trees. To me it’s a mysterious earthy mix of tart orange, grapefruit, mineral, cedar and the evergreen smell of conifer trees (and the surrounding soil). That may not sound very appealing but this scent is amazing. Warm, masculine, unique, even slightly artisan. To me this is a terrific “night out” type of fragrance. Not in a club-kid way but rather in an eclectic rock and roll, blues club sort of way. Maybe that’s why some have said it’s not a young scent - Abercrombie or Hollister, this ain’t.
    On a related note, I don’t consider this solely a summer fragrance, as some have suggested. In fact, one interesting observation I’ve made is how well Terre d'Hermès mixes with the smell of leather…yes leather. They seem to compliment each other very well. A couple sprays of TdH, a vintage leather jacket and a great pair of jeans - Perfect!

13 November, 2009