Reviews by oolong

oolong's avatar
    oolong

Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

Fruity and Boozy really says it all. A really nice fragrance for a night on the town. It is fun, distinctive without being overpowering.

12 October, 2008

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Everything a great man's fragrance should be and nothing it shouldn't be. It is long lasting but not overpowering; decidedly masculine without being Neanderthal; elegant without being pretentious; classic without being dated. I find myself reaching for me more then any other fragrance in my collection.

12 October, 2008

Madame X by Ava Luxe

While I've never tried it, "Madame X" is one of the few fragrances out there with the three notes Civet, Ambergris, Castoreum recommended by the 20th Centuries top occultist (Alistair Crowley) as being effective at attracting love. I've used a fragrance with that combination, Andron by Jovon, and have had extremely good luck with members of the opposite sex.

01st May, 2008

Basala / Basara by Shiseido

Initially is more then a bit overwhelming. Really, this is not a fragrance you want to put on just before a date or going into a public space. You will drive people away. One spray and my housemate needs to leave the room. After about 30 minutes the monster settles down to one of the most amazing fragrances I've ever tried. Spicy, sweet, complex, unique... A winter/evening scent.

19 April, 2008

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

Very definitely a relative of the original Polo Green but a different take; less green and more floral elements to it. I don't agree with the "more refined version of Polo Green" theory which other reviewers have suggested. Not really any more or less refined then Green. Unfortunately discontinued but worth looking for. Many consider it simply a variation on the original Polo Green theme and that position is not completely without merit but it differentiates itself enough from the original Polo Green that you could easily own both, which I do.

17 July, 2007

Santos by Cartier

Last night my girlfriend nuzzled up to me and asked what fragrance I had on? Santos, and she told me how much she liked it on me. Strongly masculine but also smooth and sophisticated. If you have the presence to carry it off, get it. If money is no object, get the Santos Concentrée, if money is an issue the standard Santos is almost as good.

29 June, 2007

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Male? Not so much to me, maybe Le Unisex would be a more descriptive name. Objectively speaking it is not a bad fragrance at all, but certainly not a definitively male fragrance as the name would suggest. Very much a product of the Metrosexual 90's.

26 June, 2007

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Overall I like Rive Gauche pour Homme a great deal and I'm glad to have it part of my fragrance wardrobe. I would rate it primarily a spring fragrance and best in the evening but really the only time I would avoid wearing it is in when it is really hot. The only things which bug me about it is the longevity, while not bad, is less then I would like and it has a metal container. It just feels odd with almost everything else coming in glass; plus I worry about the metal being far less inert then glass.

25 June, 2007

Quorum by Antonio Puig

This is not a smooth fragrance. It is somewhat harsh and very definitely an in your face fragrance. Don't get me wrong, it is not unpleasant, just a lot of raw, unrefined, elemental masculine energy. Not a fragrance that anyone (or even most) could carry off. In my opinion one of the most if not the most masculine fragrances out there.

19 May, 2007

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

I have to admit that this fragrance arrived as part of a swap and I really didn't have high expectations for it. As I've been testing it I've really grown to like it. Certainly my favorite fig fragrance, much better and far more wearable then Philosykos by Diptyque (in my opinion anyway!). A really nice summer fragrance.

15 May, 2007

Sandalwood by Art of Shaving

It opens up with top notes of Eucalyptus which some people may find a bit medical. As it progresses I start to get a great pine smell and then sandalwood in the dry down. The first time I used it my girlfriend asked what it was and told me how much she liked it on me.

10th May, 2007

Jack Black Signature Black Mark by Jack Black

To me this is what Gucci PH should have been. If you are looking for something with the general character of Gucci PH but without the pencil shavings smell, I think you will really like this one. Longevity is OK, not outstanding but acceptable, similar to Gucci PH (on me anyway). Dominated by Cedar and Leather with Saffron and Coriander to spice things up. A very masculine fragrance

07 May, 2007

Unbound for Men by Halston

This fragrance is basically a better, longer lasting, less expensive version of Acqua di Gio. This fragrance type will never be a stable of my fragrance collection but it does have its place.

07 May, 2007

Polo by Ralph Lauren

A very masculine fragrance but with a refined edge. More Ivy league then Lumber Jack. The name Polo really catches the essence of what this fragrance is all about... Outdoorsy, sporty and masculine but also refined and cultured. Great longevity. It was extremely popular back in the late 70's and early 80's, to the point of over use and still suffers from a negative back lash because of that. It is a much better fragrance them most are willing to admit.

07 May, 2007 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2008)

Of a Man by Body Shop

A very good value in a summer scent. It has a very pleasing fresh/clean/citrus smell and has reasonable longevity for a summer scent. It competes very effectively with a lot of summer fragrances that cost several times as much. Very well worth checking out if you want a value priced fragrance with a high end smell.

21st March, 2007

Vetiver by Guerlain

A classic and timeless fragrance which is just not for everyone and I'm one of the ones it is not for. I gave it a try, used it for three full days and REALLY wanted to like it but just could not. I expect it is worth a try but as with any fragrance with a strong personality, you really need to try before you buy.

10th March, 2007

Aveda Pure-Fume Tonic for Men by Aveda

I'm someone who really feels most at home with cool weather fragrances; deep resonant fragrances, unmistakably masculine, with complex notes and a strong personality. I usually find the fresh, aquatic, light fragrances of summer to be somewhat dull. As far as I'm concerned, if fragrances were music, the fresh/aquatic fragrances of summer would be soft rock or easy listening and in some cases elevator music. Acceptable as background music but nothing which inspires passion. That being said, summer scents have their place and very definite uses. Of the summer scents I've tried, this is one of the better ones. So I guess I'm giving this fragrance something of a back handed thumbs up.

10th March, 2007

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

As a general rule I prefer the more complex cold weather scents. I usually find summer scents to be simplistic and as a general rule, very similar to each other. Mugler Cologne is one of the best warm weather fragrances I've run across. A nice, clean, fresh, citrus scent, not too sweet but with good longevity for a summer scent. I find it a very linear and simplistic scent, but it does what it does very well. If you are looking for a nice warm weather scent it would be hard to do better.

05 March, 2007

T for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

A bit synthetic but overall not a bad fragrance. Fresh, clean and not a bad warm weather fragrance. Not something I would go out and buy but if I got it as a gift I would likely use it.

03 March, 2007

Solo Loewe by Loewe

Best suited as a spring fragrance, it is light with fresh and clean notes. Unfortunately I find it dominated by sweet floral notes; much more then I would like. The sweetness would make it oppressive (to me anyway) in really hot weather. While it is listed as a masculine fragrance I would think of it more as a unisex fragrance. My 16 year old daughter tells me it is too feminine for me and I would agree.

02 March, 2007

Il Giardino by Michael Storer

Oppressively floral, almost to the point of being assaulted. Rather like the top notes of the Dreamer but without the payoff of the wonderful drydown. Good lasting power though you may wish different.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I have something of a love/hate relationship with M7. I love it most of the day when I wear it but usually by the end of the day it starts to really get on my nerves with its sweetness. I just don't find myself wearing it that much.

The Dreamer by Versace

Just can't get beyond the top notes. They are oppressive. A nice drydown but, I'm not willing to live with the top note assault to get there.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

A classic heavy oriental from the 80's. Long lasting and good projection. Nice enough but just too sweet for my tastes.

H.M. by Hanae Mori

I find it a much more balanced and accessible gourmand then A*Men. It lasts well and projects nicely but in the end it is just too sweet for my tastes.

Bel Ami by Hermès

Certainly one of the classic of the uber-fragrance era of the 80's. Classy, masculine and powerful. Not for the faint of heart, but if you can carry it off it is a keeper.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

After reading all the reviews of Bois du Portugal it sounded like an ideal fragrance for me. My tastes have been evolving towards the more masculine end of the spectrum. I gave it a try and it definitely was as advertised, a finely crafted, very masculine fragrance which I genuinely like. That being said, I also felt a bit of disappointment. While I do like it, I really don't like it any better and many cases less then several fragrances which cost me 1/4 as much: Yatagan, Cumming, Santos, Bel Ami... Based upon the Creed mystique I guess I was expecting "All this and a bag of chips too" and someone left out the chips. So very good fragrance but I really question the value.

01st February, 2007

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Z14 is a very good fragrance given the low cost. It is strongly reminiscent of Santos and a good option if you are on a tight budget and can't afford Santos. That being said, if you can afford it, Santos is worth the extra money.

30th January, 2007

Kiss Him by KISS

Surprisingly good fragrance and not at all what I would have expected from the rock group Kiss. I would have expected something a bit darker, more ominous. You don't have to have tattoos and black leather to carry this off. I find it extremely versatile (black leather to power suites), unique and assertive without being overbearing. It also lasts a long time. Unfortunately the association with Kiss will likely have people taking it less seriously then it deserves.

26 January, 2007

Yang by Jacques Fath

I find it a really great scent for when I want to fly under the radar and not stand out but still wear something. It is a little bit sweet but as someone who tends to avoid sweet fragrances, I find that its sweetness is more then acceptable. While it will never be a fragrance which inspires great passion from me, I view it as being both extremely pleasing and versatile so it will get used a lot.

22 January, 2007