Reviews by jcastano

Guess Man by Guess

Wow, I agree with Mr. Darville saying that this smells like a pencil, eraser and all! I definitely get that vibe but it isn't unappealing say like such fragrances as Gucci Pour Homme I that literally smells like pencil shavings and lead! No, Guess Man is actually quite a nice green/woody fragrance. I'm not sure if I'd say it's sweet but it does have this very light sweet feel to it and the woodyness really balances it out! This is perfect for anyone who is looking for a fragrance that isn't loud but rather bold, unique, and on a tight budget! It's sillage is subtle, which makes it perfect for class or the office, but it's longevity is very good (6+ hours) and it's perfect for any occasion/setting so I highly recommend trying this one out! I usually try not to overspray on any fragrance but with this one, I tend to since it's such a great scent and I really can't imagine anyone thinking this is cloying or offensive, and so far, the results are positive! A-
21st August, 2010

Set Sail South Seas for Men by Tommy Bahama

I received a .5 oz of this along with a purchase at a local department store. I decided to wear it to work the next day without even tying it on my skin first. As I smelled it on myself, I couldn't quite figure out what this smelled like. All day, it gnawed at the back of my mind and I still could not figure it out! Then, BINGO, it hit me! Tommy Bahama Set Sail South Seas smells amazingly similar to Dior Homme Sport, however, Dior Homme Sport does a way better job at making their fragrance smell more natural whereas Set Sail South Seas smells more synthetic!

Though I don't see lemon in the note pyramid, I smell it in this and though this is quite a pleasant scent for the price, I'd rather stick with Dior Sport. I'm not a fan of lemon scents to begin with so the synthetic lemon I'm getting does not appeal to me at all. I'd just rather drop $80 for Dior Sport and the natural lemon in it anyday over this! To South Seas credit, I got 10 solid hours and projection is rather good so kudos to this fragrance for that! Other than that, I'm giving it a neutral because it's not a bad scent but there are better lemon scents out there.
04th August, 2010

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Although I absolutely do not enjoy this fragrance, I need to give credit where credit is due. Immediately, the rose is detectable upon the initial spray/splash of the top notes and for me, that's all I detect. It's a very subdued yet masculine rose that exudes something very sensual but as the basenotes appear, that all changes. One thing, out of all the rose scents that I've encountered, this one has to be the most natural but when the cedar arrives, it ruins the whole aura of the scent. The cedar is too overpowering/cloying and masks everything the rose is trying to present. The two blended extremes almost seem to be competing with one another only the cedar always has the upper-hand. It's just wasn't my type of scent at all but as I said before, I can appreciate the unique blend of cedar and rose and how the two components come together to create something so different and so natural. I'd say that this scent is perfect for someone 40 and up. Maybe if Le Labo ever decides to make a scent that is rose and only rose, I'll invest in it, but I'll save this one for a cedar lover.
13th July, 2010

Driven Black by Derek Jeter

This actually smells really nice! A co-worker of mine wears this and at first I thought he was wearing Love & Luck by Ed Hardy but I was wrong! One day I finally brokedown and asked what cologne he was wearing and at first he was hesitant to tell me (probably because it's from AVON) but he admitted to it being Driven Black by Derek Jeter. It's a great powdery scent but almost has this aquatic vibe to it. It's smells very fresh and clean and I'll even go as far as saying this is what "cold" smells like, as odd as that is. It's hard to explain it because I don't agree with the note pyramid but either way, I recommend this to any guy in highschool to even an older gentlemen, it's just that great! Longevity and Sillage is monsterous with this so be careful with the trigger!!! It may be cheap, but it's a great scent nonetheless and believe you me, LADIES GO CRAZY FOR IT!!!
28th June, 2010

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

This was my signature scent when I was 13 years old and followed me into high school and even my first year in college. I'll tell you right now, it has never failed me.....EVER!!!! I still wear it from time to time and when I do, I understand why this is still a best seller and still very popular. It was insane how women swarmed me every time I wore it and even now that I'm older, it has that same effect! Even the bottle is beautiful. It's truly something unique and complex and I've never smelled anything like it. Describing this scent is too difficult though. The note breakdown is crazy and might be the reason this scent is hard to put into words. Basically, it's opening is a green, sweet, fruity, damp moss. The middle is a sweet ginger, floral combination that becomes musky, mossy, fruity (pineapple), and extremely woody, with hints of amber and light pepper. It still maintains that sweetness from the ginger throughout as well. Think of L'Homme by YSL with a heavy moss and heavy woods. Curve is something along those lines. It draws many compliments and best of all, it can be worn by anyone, any age, at any time of the year! It gets a lot of flack from people saying it's a scent geared more toward the younger crowd but I've smelled this on older gentlemen and they've pulled it off nicely. I can't rave enough of how amazing this scent is to me and truly, no positive review gives it enough credit so I suggest that anyone should consider having this one in their collection! Not sold, well then did I mention it's dirt cheap? Grab yourself a bottle and try it!

On another note, I'm sad to mention that this scent has indeed been reformulated. Although I don't have any confirmed documentation etc, my old bottles compared to my new ones do not lie. The new formulation doesn't contain that green, sweet, fruity, damp mossy accord in the top notes anymore. It's toned down immensely, and the drydown seems flat. The notes aren't in sync like they were in the old formulation, and the overall quality of this scent is cheap and overly synthetic. As it was, the old formulation was already synthetic smelling, but now, it just smells like chemicals. It's a shame that this is what people are sniffing now when they sniff this. The old formulation used to last 10+ hours on me with beastly projection! 3 sprays was all I needed for a whole day but now, this stuff is lucky to give me 4 hours and doesn't project well at all! Maybe that's why the negative reviews on this have seemed to appear more and more when I look it up. The love for it has ceased but you can't blame it on Curve, blame the cheap companies who hold back on quality and still charge premiums!
16th June, 2010 (last edited: 25th May, 2011)

Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch

I dont' care what anyone hating on A&F Fierce says! I absolutely love this cologne! Imagine what a cologne would smell like if Curve by Liz Claiborne and Chanel's Platinum Egoiste had a baby. That's A&F Fierce! Yes it's youthful, yes it's common, yes it's banal, yes it's a "mall scent" but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a modern day classic, at least for me.
The opening has a citrusy mossy accord that remains throughout the fragrance life, however, you don't actually smell any heavy citrus as say the scent of a lemon or an orange. It's not sweet nor tart by any means but rather just bares those tendencies of citrus without actually smelling as though. It's hard to explain. The heart notes, well, to be honest, I don't get much of the heart notes on my skin. On me, it just transitions from the top to the base. As the drydown becomes more prominent, the light musk and hint of amber remain under the dominant/heavy woody notes along with the untart/unsweetened citrus moss. It's quite beautiful and by far the woodiest fragrance I've ever smelled and also the sharpest wood fragrance I've ever smelled.
As far as projection and longevity go, both are way above average and the compliments speak for itself and though it doesn't cost cheap, you're definitely paying for quality, trust me. If I had a dime for the many compliments I've received from this, well, I'd be a millionaire! Anyone from an adolescent to an adult up to the age of 35 can pull this off, even though I don't think anyone over 25 would try this out and it's a darn shame! Maybe the fact that all the teens wearing this do not understand the concept of over applying cologne that has ruined this scent for you, or maybe it's the fact that whenever you pass by an A&F store, the scent of this cologne is blaring out of the entrance way. Whatever your reason, if not admissibly justified, it's at least worth the try. Spritz your hand, walk around, and see what you might think of it then. You might be surprised! Overall rating from me, A- Buy it, you won't be disappointed!
08th April, 2010 (last edited: 25th May, 2011)

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

I never knew too much about Polo fragrances but when I saw this at Marshalls for $25 for a 4.2 oz bottle, I thought, why not get it, it's a good deal. I was expecting something to blow me out of this world since everyone I've ever known has put this on a pedestal but unfortunatley, that wasn't the case. At first, I thought it smelled odd? The seaweed note and citrus notes threw me off and there was something about it that smelled dirty, almost like salty, bitter sweat. I know, it sounds weird but I really got that vibe from it! I hated it at first but after wearing it a few more times after that, I must say it grew on me. I actually love the seaweed note in it now and the salty, bitter sweat vibe I used to get from it is no longer there.
The aquatic feel to this fragrance is actually very well done and although very synthetic, the combination of citrus, florals, woods, and musk give it a type of character that truly captures the idea of a fresh water ocean, something that I've yet to smell with any other sport fragrance. It's semi-sweet yet green, but has this animalic aura to it but musk tends to do that, and the aldehydes give it a clean, very fresh touch that might even give of the impression of laundry detergent. This fragrance is excellent if you want something different from all the usual aquatic/sport colognes for men out there. I can't imagine why this wasn't so groundbreaking when it first arrived on the scene back in the early 90's. I just imagine myself running on a beach on a warm, sunny day, when all the sudden, a light breeze picks up and freshens the air while it wafts the smell of the deep blue sea all throughout . It's a scent that's great for spring/summer. Its sillage and longevity is fantastic, and uniqueness is a most definite A+! The one thing that this fragrance lacks is in its versatility, but not by much. I wouldn't recommend wearing this in a suit and tie or in any formal attire like one can with most other sport frags (Allure Sport, Dior Sport) because it lacks that "sophistication" factor, but if you're the casual type of guy in a t-shirt and jeans or shorts, this is perfect! Overall rating in my book, B+
08th April, 2010 (last edited: 20th May, 2011)

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I bought this blindly and I regret it. This scent is just so unappealing to me. Normally, I like classic, masculine type scents but this one is all that on steroids! Everyone will say to wait for it to cook on you skin for a while then smell it but even the drydown smells horrid! All you get is pencil shavings and lead! I made the mistake of spraying this twice and it was so nausiating. I tried washing it off over and over but this thing sticks on you like glue! I figured I'd give it another shot and again it was worse the second time around, even at one spray that time! Unique, you bet your toosh, however, who wants to smell like a sharpened pencil? Okay, okay, maybe it's not that bad but still, It's not something I'd ever want to smell like. It's too spicy and too woody, and the scorching Texas weather doesn't help it any much either! I will say that there is something about it that does keep drawing you in but still, I cannot say that I enjoy this 100%. My favorite thing about this fragrance is the bottle and the box. The presentation is wonderful and very elegant. The scent though, well, it is not my style. Final Rating B-
30th March, 2010 (last edited: 18th February, 2011)

Déclaration Essence by Cartier

Though I probably would choose the original Declaration over this if I had to pick one, this one is just a more intense version. If you thought the BO opening to it's original counterpart was harsh, this one will punch your lights out! BO times 10 if you ask me! Yuck! The drydown is very citrusy and spicy and although I somewhat enjoy it, it can easily get cloying and in my honest opinion, the opening is not worth it even if the drydown is enjoyable. Once again, you disappointed me with this one Ellena.
30th March, 2010

Déclaration by Cartier

Not bad but not good either. I read about Declaration being a must have in any collection so I bought it blindly and I was a bit disappointed. It smells okay but it's nothing I'd ever wear. I definitely get the BO scent, not as bad as L'Essence, but it wears down to a more subtle, citrusy, woody scent, at least on my skin. It almost smells sour yet sweet. It's very odd. Jean Claude Ellena, you're a genius, so I have no clue what happened here.
30th March, 2010

Burberry Brit for Men by Burberry

I remember I was a junior in high school in 2005 and was asked by a senior to prom. I accepted and decided to do a bit of shopping for the occasion so I ended up at the fragrance counter at Macy's. After trying virtually everything Macy's could offer, I tried this last and immediately knew to purchase it! If I had a dime for all the compliments I received that night, and on top of that, my date could not keep her hands off me! It was awesome! It's safe to say I got lucky that night ;)
Anywho, It smells very similar to Armani code, and it should considering it was made by the same perfumer, however, Brit possesses something more. It's deeper, richer, and not as fresh as Armani Code. It opens up very green. The top notes are woodsy and piney with a slightly bitter citrus but the scent itself does a full 360 in the heart and base as it becomes a warm, powdery, sweet & spicy, floral. I even detect some cocoa as well but the tonka bean, nutmeg, wild rose, and woody notes really are the main theme in this fragrance but over a light musk. It almost smells like a more refined scent of baby wipes because of the powdery quality except Brit is not as clean. It's just a well done spicy oriental perfect for any occasion and better suited for the colder months. The only flaw this probably has is that it's very common anywhere you go. Other than that, you have a winner! It works beautifully on my skin and I must be lucky because it projects well and lasts 6-8 hours on me. I truly adore Brit along with its very cool plaid bottle!!! My final rating A-
01st February, 2010 (last edited: 18th May, 2011)

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

Okay, I've heard so many people degrade this fragrance but no matter what they say, this is a definite classic in my eyes. I remember back in high school and junior high, this was the fragrance of choice for many guys. Though it's (was) popular among younger crowds, it's made for pretty much anyone to wear. Now that I'm in my early 20's, I still love the beautiful combination of woods, spice, fruits, and florals. You get a little bit of everything in here! I read that Tommy Hilfiger had a vision to create a fragrance for the modern man that would incorporate notes found across America that would, in essence, capture a trip around the United States. I'm not too sure what Tommy was trying to accomplish there but this scent has me all for it!
The opening is a well balance of citrus and green notes with the lavender, bergamont, grapefruit, and mint combination but as it goes into the heart, the fruits and florals become dominant and really make up the skeleton of the fragrance itself. The base is a green, woody composition with the apple and florals still dominating over everything else. I get more apple from this scent than any other note, but it's not a fresh apple, instead, it's a cinnamon apple with a warmth from the amber. Think of a warm apple pie. I love to wear this in the colder months with a sweater. When women come up to hug you, they just get a warm, inviting whiff of this and literally melt. It just works and it's fairly unique. I absolutely love this!!! The good thing about it too is that not many people wear it anymore, as opposed to everyone and their grandmother 10-15 years ago, so it's a good way to remain somewhat unique among the Armani's, Gucci's, Givenchy's, etc. Longevity is great (8+hours), projection is awesome, and better than anything else, it can be worn at anytime of the year. I love it!!! Chicks dig it!!! A True CLASSIC!!!! What more can I say!!! My final rating A-
01st February, 2010 (last edited: 18th May, 2011)

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Swagger in a bottle! Smells somewhat similar to Gucci Pour Homme II but is more youthful, modern, softer, and darker. It's not as sharp and dry as Gucci Pour Homme II nor is it as spicy but instead, more woodsy and floral. The tobacco, leather, and incense blended with the violet make for a very masculine, unique, and sexy scent! Good for a night in the club or a special occassion. On my skin, it projects fairly well and longevity is great too. I get 6-10 hours everytime! I almost turned the other cheek on this one because of the fact that a celebrity was the poster child, but I smelled a strip in a magazine and I was instantly hooked! If you're looking for a something new that's sexy, masculine, modern, yet refined, look no further than this! Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme is a perfect addition to any collection! Get it! Final Rating A-
01st February, 2010 (last edited: 19th December, 2010)

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

Absolutely repulsive! Literally smells as if someone grabbed a couple of lemons and squeezed them into a bottle. Even the sales associate as Macy's thought it was awful! From something with a name like Chanel, you'd expect something more refined and breath taking but that's certainly not the case here. Seriously, don't waste you time and money on this one unless you absolutely are okay with harsh citrus.
01st February, 2010

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

A Gentlemens Fragrance! I received this for Chistmas by my bro-in law when I was 19 and ever since then, I've had it in my collection. The spices in this fragrance, such as the colve and tabacco, are ridiculously done! Absolute perfection! I've yet to meet a man or woman who have not been taken by this fragrance! Though, some wouldn't recommend it for a younger crowd, I say kill all that noise and wear it if you enjoy it. It's definitely intense with projection so easy on the trigger, and longevity is amazing so I suggest any true fragrance fanatic at least try it out. I'm sure you won't be disappointed! I wouldn't wear it in the summer/spring but it's great for fall and even better for winter! Good to wear on a night on the town or a special occasion. Your partner will certainly appreciate it! A must have!!!
01st February, 2010

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Truly a Classic!!! It's a lady killer for sure!!! One of my all time favorite scents!!! Nothing I've ever smelled comes close to this and it's definitely a must have in any collection. What I enjoyed most about this fragrance was the fact that it bares similarities to that of Carolina Herrera for Men (also one of my all time favs) however, there are obvious differences.
The top notes are very citrusy but in a very pleasant way. The mandarin and orange sweeten the lemon just right and though the lemon comes off a bit synthetic, it's nothing that's too unbearable. I feel that they all complement each other quite nicely. I find the middle notes to be a bit heavier than anything else. You definitely get the pepper and if you over apply this scent, you might end up hating it. The lavender is very subtle behind the pepper, which I guess is good because it does not blend the two extremes so you actually only smell one lingering behind the other as opposed to both being in your face. As the base notes kick in, the tobacco is something that you will definitely smell! It's a gorgeous addition to the fragrance overall! This is the part that reminds me of Carolina Herrera For Men but not because they smell similar but rather because the spices, such as the tobacco and pepper, are used perfectly and are not overbearing. What you end up with is a sweetened lemon, with hints of tobacco and pepper over a woody base. How much more gorgeous can this get?!?! The scent life is amazing as well. I get at least 10+ hours every time.
The only complaint I have is the fact that if you are going to be active while wearing this cologne, it somewhat smells like Chrome, at least on me it does. Definitely a versatile scent but not for an active day, at least not for me. Oh and a little advice for you guys out there that feel the need to spray a cologne at least 10 times, 3-4 sprays with this one and you're gold. The scent projects very well so do not be too generous with the trigger. Overall Rating A+
08th December, 2009 (last edited: 03rd December, 2010)