Reviews by shamaness

shamaness's avatar
    shamaness

Velvet Hour by Kate Moss

This is exactly what it says on the tin - freesia, pepper, patchouli and wood. The wood is unmistakeable - aromatic fresh sawdust. Velvet hour is not complicated and not unpleasant. Actually quite nice indeed. It is also more popular than one would think. I picked up some last week and, since then, I seem to smell it on at least 3 women (usually young) whenever I go anywhere. I went to Nando's tonight and a pretty young Indian girl in the queue was wearing it. It is a bit like buying a particular car and then suddenly seeing that make and model everywhere. Essentially, I would not buy it again - and I may end up giving it away - but I don't regret buying it at the price I did.

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

The advertising blurb describes 'The Beat' as 'sparkling' and this is precisely the word that springs to mind with this beautiful scent. Other words include: sweetly charming, pretty, fresh, clean and just plain gorgeous. This is a little stunner for women of any age. Even the bottle alone is perfection.

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

Oh... dear. If you would like to re-create this scent at home:
    1. Crack open a tin of vanilla rice pudding and smear it on your arm. Nice and thick.
    2. Then sprinkle on a little cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Doesn't matter which. But don't go overboard now - just a smidge.
    3. Now grab a fistful of the most sickly sweet flowers you can find. It doesn't matter what flowers because their scent will be drowned by vanilla rice pudding anyway. The point is simply to render the pudding inedible.
    4. Now take a deep breath.
    Voila!
    You have just saved yourself quite a few dollars. Unlike me.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I wore this to the office one day and a co-worker commented (quite loudly) 'Who's got musk sticks?' (those vivid pink, long, thin, corrugated, soft musky sweets) It took me a minute to realise it was my perfume. Uh oh. I slid down in my chair and slunk off to the ladies room to tone it down a bit. Nonetheless I persist in wearing it (just not to the ofice) because I like it. It really is lovely. But, I do think that it may be best on young women and teenagers, and it is time I moved on. If you are too old to eat musk sticks then you may be too old for this one.

Fidji by Guy Laroche

This is a passion that will never dim. Fidji is impeccable at every stage. I wear it in the tropical heat and it is absolute perfection. Never heavy or cloying. Always feminine and softly beautiful. It lasts and lasts. Which is wonderful as I never grow tired of catching wafts of such indescribable loveliness.

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

This was one of my favourite scents in the late 80's up until 1993. Men loved it. They would ask me for the name of my perfume so they could buy it for their wives. It was divine. I recently splashed out and bought it again. Big mistake. I don't know who has changed more - me or it. But, in any case, the affair is over. It's like seeing someone you once adored in the street and asking yourself what on earth you ever saw in them. It now makes me flinch so dramatically I practically give myself whiplash. Still, every now and then (because I am a romantic soul) I spray on a little hoping for the old magic to return. It never does. Maybe I should just face facts.

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Dreadful on me with a capital 'D'. Proceed with caution is all I can say. It is herbal, medicinal (yet vaguely sickening, as opposed to healing), overwhelming and ultimately vile. I am only glad my sample came free with purchase or I would have been very cross with myself.

Ma Griffe by Carven

I asked my son what this smells of to him. He replied 'it smells like the shade of a green tree on a hot day'. He is right. I wear this on the very hottest, most humid and unforgiving days and it refreshes and enlivens me. Its cool, green crispness creates a psychological reprieve from the worst our summer has to offer.

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

When I first sprayed this on in the chemist shop I was unimpressed and left the shop without buying it (even though it was half price and I usually can't resist a bargain). However, about 10 minutes later, while I was pushing a trolley around the supermarket, I reached for something on a shelf and caught a whiff of my wrist and was stunned by what that unimpressive initial spray had become. I actually had to double check that it wasn't some divine creature passing behind me. Nope - it was me. This scent is sooo beautiful - all the words have been already been said: demure, classy, feminine etc. It is subtle and soft and very special indeed. Needless to say I sped through the grocery shopping in record time and practically sprinted back to the chemist to grab a bottle of it.