Reviews by Wingie

Dulcis in Fundo by Profumum

Rich, Orange Creamsicle in a Bottle

I tried this as I'm a vanilla lover... it smells very literally of a delicious, rich orange creamsicle pop. Very foody. The vanilla can't really be picked out on its own but melds with the orange to create the creamsicle effect, which is quite linear for a good while. Then deep into the drydown, when on its last legs before petering out, it takes a turn toward the very sweet. Smells high quality and like it's made from top-notch and expensive ingredients - I love smelling it as it is mouthwatering, but I do not have a strong desire to walk around smelling this literally of an orange creamsicle pop. Which is somewhat of a relief, as it's $240 a bottle. Lovers of gourmands may want to give this a try though.

Givenchy's Organza Indecence is also an orange-vanilla composition, but not as foody as this.

Pros: Rich, foody, and delicious
    Cons: Do you really want to smell this literally of orange creamsicle?"

12 October, 2013

Vanille Absolu by Montale

Sublime Vanilla With Not Much Else

I sampled this last fall with a handful of other vanilla scents when I was looking for a very vanilla-centered fragrance for my collection for fall and winter. I put it on after dinner, and initially thought "Whoa, that is a vanilla bomb of a fragrance", but then unabashedly wore it every day until the sample was gone; it was a guilty pleasure, like candy or chocolate; but not as sweet as some other vanilla bomb fragrances, with just a touch of smoke and woods to balance it. It is perfect.

Pros: Hello, VANILLA!; Reasonably priced
    Cons: Don't like the opaque bottle - can't see how much perfume is left."

23 August, 2013

J'Adore by Christian Dior

This review is for the original formulation, sold in 1999. There is a difference!

The original version, sold in 1999, is very good; a classic for its era, which was largely an era of fruity-florals. The J'Adore that is being sold in stores today is crap. Pure crap. I think the distinguishment between the two needs to be made because there are reviews of what seem to be the current version saying it smells like house cleaner, shampoo, soap, etc, which is true. J'Adore has been reformulated - more than once I believe - with detrimental results.

But the original formulation is good, one of the best fruity-florals to come out of the 1990s. It can still be found on ebay, the box shows the Christian Dior label in a purple circle instead of a gold one. It is on my wishlist as a collector's item because I know one day it will no longer be available. Samples of the older version can also be found at Surrender to Chance.

Even if you smell the current version and like it, I encourage you to seek out the original version. To me there is no point owning the current stuff when the real McCoy can still be had and is miles better.

Pros: A classic; one of the best in the fruity-floral category.
    Cons: The original formula can only be found today on ebay."

23 August, 2013

Infusion d'Iris Eau de Parfum Absolue by Prada

Gorgeous. I actually smell iris in this, which I didn't in the original, and it's rounded out by madagascar vanilla, orange blossom, and tonka bean. This is how the first Infusion d'Iris should have smelled, IMO.

I wish it lasted just a tad longer, but the fact that it is being touted as a limited edition will likely be enough for me to buy a bottle.

12 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2013)

De Bachmakov by Different Company

I had high expectations of this after reading all the positive reviews on blogs, but was very dissapointed. I think it smells like lemon Pine Sol.

At least I saved myself the $160 it costs for a full bottle.

12 November, 2012

Archives 69 by Etat Libre d'Orange

The pink berries and pepper are mostly what I can pick out from this. To me it has a smell reminiscent of the old individually-wrapped Bazooka Joe bubble gum, but not sugared, adolescent, or gimmicky in any way. It's sophisticated, delicious and fun. Longevity is so-so.

21st October, 2012

La Violette by Annick Goutal

Too much sugar in this for me. I would classify it as a fruity floral, but unlike other fruity florals, the violet adds a certain shyness or innocence. Reminds me of a little girl with a sugared lollipop.

28 April, 2010

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal

Heure Exquise is perfect if you like Chanel No.19's composition, but find it as a fragrance to be too haughty, cold, or "mean". Heure Exquise shares the same galbanum-iris accord as No.19, but is slightly warmer and more romantic. I think it's exquisite, and a must-try for anyone who loves iris, or green fragrances in general.

28 April, 2010

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I brought a spray home on a test strip and absolutely loved it - a somewhat cold and distant dry powdery feel, but I thought I could smell some lovely subdued floral notes just peeking through, which added up to an attractive mix of beauty and cool unapproachability, like an impeccably polished young woman from head to foot who wouldn't think of giving you a second of her time. When I tested it on my skin however, all I smelled was a huge waft of husky cool dry powder, bereft of any charm or enchantment. My wrist smelled like a slightly more refined version of gray dust - the kind you whiff from rummaging around in an old crawlspace - before dissapearing completely. SO dissapointed - I was going to make this my new day scent.

14 December, 2009

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Never thought I would like this scent - or rather, never thought it was for me. It sounded just too gourmand, heavy and foody for my liking, not to mention it's thought of as a 'loud' fragrance (referencing Luca Turin), and one of the first fragrances I ever owned was another 'loud' fragrance that I was never able to pull off, Gucci Rush.

A salesperson offered me a sample, and I do like it. I find it rich, but not heavy (unlike Organza Indecence), and I feel more comfortable wearing it than I thought I would. When I first spray it on I can't stop smelling my wrist. For me the best part is the early stages though, with all its rich delicious gourmand notes. Then Angel dries down to a dry masculine patchouli base on me, and it was this stage that elicited a comment from my mother that I smelled vaguely of an old man.

14 December, 2009

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

Way too powdery and sweet. I definitely could't take very much of this. I would have to wear it only occasionally.

08 December, 2009

Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent

Sickeningly, sickeningly sweet... for me this was cotton candy in a bottle, and we're talking about a YSL, not an Aquolina. An nst review said it's geared toward women in their 30's, older than the target age for Elle but younger than that for Opium and Paris. To me that is just... wrong. I much prefer Elle to this. The best thing this fragrance has going for it is the ravishing-looking Kate Moss in its ads (who incidentally also launched a fragrance in 2009).

07 December, 2009

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

Tommy Hilfiger has always had a very 'all-american' image as a brand, and Tommy Girl has has something of an all-american feel to it - clean, fresh, and one of the most inoffensive scents out there. The smell of spare, modern freshness combined with modest sillage and longevity is in keeping with an eau de cologne, and I see it as best suited for summer wear, but it also could easily be worn at work. Although the fragrance presents itself as extremely straight-forward, linear, and non-complex, it is a very well-done composition freshly built around a tea note - an early example of the tea genre and still one of the best.

It could also make for a sensible alternative to the slew of 'clean' fragrances that perfume houses are popping out these in increasing numbers and marketing as 'anti-perfumes', meant to evoke smells of soap, clean laundry, etc. Tommy Girl is substantially cheaper than many of them, just as undemanding, yet arguably done better.

06 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 January, 2012)