Reviews by CalamitySam

Ellipse by Jacques Fath

I used to wear this ages ago. And I still miss it sorely. As far as I remember, it began with fresh bergamotte notes but quickly developed its heavier, more sensuous undertones of yasmine, rose and oak-moss.
    I always liked the bitter-fresh bergamotte which hinted at an energetic and emancipated woman, whereas yasmine and rose promised femininity and eroticism.
    Luca Turin reviewed it somewhere and suggested La Perla's "La Perla" as a substitute. Not for me - I still deplore Ellipse's demise and I am still looking for something to replace it in my wardrobe.

03 June, 2011

Acqua Colonia Lavender & Thyme by 4711

Well, I rather like it - that's why I bought it around Christmas last, though in my opinionit is not a winter scent. It smells clean and refreshing, slightly pharmaceutical - nice on a summer day when you need something refreshing and invigorating.
    NOT meant for seductive purposes on a hot summer's night!

20th April, 2010

Sikkim by Lancôme

I remember a sample from the 1970s - I didn't like it: it strongly reminded me of cough-medicine. Syrupy, cloying sweetness to cover something bitter and nasty. But perhaps it has been modified in the meantime?

20th April, 2010