Reviews by paloma54

Cabriole by Elizabeth Arden

For some reason, Cabriole (Elizabeth Arden 1977)smells so very very familiar to me, and I'm wondering if perhaps my mother may have had a bottle once. It is just absolutely gorgeous, and is what I'd call a really WOMANLY perfume, not old-ladyish, but like an elegant and voluptuous woman. It is a sweet floral, primarily rosey, but it opens with the tanginess of raspberry and galbanum. Soon afterward, you smell the opulent floralcy, but through a veil of honeyed other florals, including the faintest hint of carnation. The floral heart is well supported by the basenotes, which are powdery and strong enough to hold on to the heart without asserting themselves strongly. Once in awhile, the cedarwood contributes a slight ashiness to the powdery base, but this is always the tendency on my skin for any cedarwood. On most people, this ashiness doesn't seem to occur, so I'd go ahead and recommend Cabriole highly!

Chantilly by Dana

Whatever it is that makes Chantilly unique and wonderful doesn't appear to show up in any of the basic notes as profiled in the H & R Fragrance Guide. The scent possesses much of the spiciness and sweetness of many oriental perfumes, but it also has an elegance lending it an air of refinement coupled with a very warm heart. So much of this scent is just so basically and fundamentally right where a perfume should be! I haven't tried the current version of Chantilly in the stores out of fear that the ingredients have been watered down, but rather am enjoying some vintage bottles which were purchased on ebay. They are magnificent!

Quadrille by Balenciaga

Quadrille has a crisp, uncompromising elegance. There is nothing objectionable about it, in fact, it is very pleasant, but by itself, I always feel it is missing an element in the heart; perhaps it needs more floralcy. The immediate impression I usually have is of very crisp celery--pleasing, but not sufficient to make a whole meal! Quadrille makes a wonderful, wonderful basenote to be layered over by a light floral which on its own, might not be strong enough. I have never smelled the pure perfume, but maybe it has more floral richness than the edt or edp version in my possession.