Reviews by awesomeness

awesomeness's avatar
    awesomeness

Byzance by Rochas

Big soapy aldehyde. So disappointed. Beautiful bottle though.

24th August, 2011

Iceberg (original) by Iceberg

Opens sour on me. The florals are far too shy, and it dries down to a typical musk about 2 hours out. There are far better things available on the market, even at this price.

05th July, 2011

Good Life Woman by Davidoff

I have mixed feelings about this. The Ylang-Ylang is very wearable and a nice, fresh change for a fragrance of this time. If the vanilla was a little more present, I might like it better. Still hemming and hawing whether it is worthy of keeping. Definitely try before you buy.

04th April, 2011

Pure by Alfred Sung

The freesia and lily don't play nice on my skin - white floral bomb that is irritating. :(

04th April, 2011

Samsara by Guerlain

I acquired a part bottle of the EdP through ebay, and an EdT though a swap. The EdP is more floral, more oriental. The EdT is more woody, more wearable. Both are very good but I prefer the EdT to the EdP.

I just wish the aldehydes were toned back some on this - it irritates a family member when I wear it. I might have to put my bottles up for swap. :(

Fae by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

FAE - white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss.

FAE is known as one of the best fragrances in the BPAL range. Of the 10 or so BPALs that I have tried, I'd say that I agree.

Wears like a light, bright skin scent. Clean & clear but not an anti-perfume. It's uplifting, happy. There's something very warm about, yet it's a bit fruity. Wearable in warm weather but best for cool weather, I think. It's a grower. Like, like, like, like.

Baobhan Sith by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger. Wow. Clean, clear apple. Light & uplighting. A real pleasure. I like this better than DKNY Be Delicious. I wanna see how this wears in summer. Could be a real winner. I wrote "WOW" on the label too. Reminds me of a soap that I like from Lush .... just don't remember the name off top of my head.

Covet Pure Bloom Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

I really like SJP Lovely & SJP Covet, so I had to give Pure Bloom a try. After a few samples, here's my verdict: YUCK!

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

There is something about Covet that is HEADACHE-INDUCING. I wish I knew what it was ... I suspect the lily of the valley and the honeysuckle.

Fantasy by Britney Spears

Over-priced, childish drivel from Elizabeth Arden.

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

A+ for its place in fragrance history. It was my first ... and it was affordable at a time when the only choices in the US were higher priced items in department stores, lower quality items from drug stores, and mid-range products from Avon.

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Turin says Paul Smith London is a modern, light Shalmir, and I think he's wrong. Paul Smith London really is a modern, light LBH. However, this current formulation that I'm testing - LAME!

Try Target dot com. $62 for 2.5oz EdP, ships free, combine with $5 off coupon at retailmenot and 3% cashback at ebates.

Unforgivable Woman by Sean John

I don't understand the negatives on this one. Lasting power is the biggest drawback, with an unknown concentration in this "scent spray parfum vaporizer." Otherwise, it's a winner. I'll be rebuying, that's for sure!

Can be had quite cheap on fleabay, if you watch for it. Used or testers under $10 for 30ml, about $25 for 125ml. I have both. I also *love* the bubble bath - about $8 on fleabay.

Varensia by Ulric de Varens

Varensia is extremely pleasant on, and it wears like a light oriental on me. I sense the oakmoss but it's not brash or loud. Varensia just doesn't have the presence of a chypre on my skin.

I've seen here (and elsewhere) that Varensia is inspired by Gianni Versace by Versace. I can't make the comparison. But I can say that Varensia is not in the style of a big 1980s powerhouse, aggressive scent.

Rather, Varensia is an agreeable, pleasant scent. It lasts 4 hours or so on me. First 2 hours are good, the next 2 hours are muddy & murky. Best in warm (but not hot) weather, I think.

Passion by Elizabeth Taylor

Oh, how I wanted to love this. I remember the late 1980s when all middle-aged women wore this - I was too young for it then but not too young now. ;) I sought out vintage parfum and vintage EdT on ebay - about $3 for both, plus shipping.

Boy oh boy, how our tastes & palettes have changed in those 25 years! This is far too masculine for me, or anyone who likes their perfume on the femme side of unisex. That said, it makes a great masculine!

I'm glad to have tried it. I quickly got rid of it!

Cabaret by Grès

Transparent, woody rose. Yes, that's about right. Cabaret has a crystalline quality and is a tremendous value that rivals luxe fragrances in the $100+ category. It's a modern style perfume that is similar to Rocha Lumiere (new), only better. It's a fragrance for a lifetime.

Liaisons Dangereuses by By Kilian

Is there apple in here? I get a fresh fruit, but it's not plum to me, it's fresh & crisp like an apple. Also, there's rose in the heart, a lovely modern rose. It smells a bit boozy on me, and I like it!

Overall, it has a crystalline quality and it reminds me of a BPAL that I've recently tried that had white musk & coconut husks in it, although for the life of me I can't remember which BPAL it was though. Very unique & on the femme side of unisex imo.

Halston by Halston

I am completely obsessed with Halston alcohol-free cologne spray. I wore Halston back in the day, and I don't remember what it spelled like. However, this new version is outstanding. It wears like a perfume oil and I spray it liberally after a shower. It's mostly all base notes on me, and it's quite animalistic and dirty. I'm alway up for a good skank fest and this is it!

Try it if you can ... a major online retailer has been clearancing out 100ml bottles for under10 bucks shipped. I have enough backup bottles to last my lifetime. LOL.

PS - Longing for a good ole chypre. Try Halston Couture - It's so oakmossy that it set off my allergies big time, so I reluctantly parted with it. Available online for about 20 bucks for 100ml.

23rd March, 2011 (Last Edited: 17th June, 2011)

20 Carats by Dana

WOW! I can't believe how much I like this!

The lineage of 20 Carats to Tabu is clear. They are sisters. 20 Carats is an oriental that is a bit lighter and brighter, but still has that same spicy edge as Tabu. More floral than Tabu, but still spicy. Even with the bottle that I have, there is a bit of citrus on top, but 20 Carats is all spicy powder with cinnamon. It has the same rootbeer note as Tabu but it's not as pronounced. It pick up patch & musk but 20 Carats does not have the same animalistic presence as Tabu.

I got 20 Carats and Tabu from the same estate. Both are 3 oz vintage spray colognes in the rubber bottles with the funky shaped sprays. Tabu is in the black bottle, 20 carats in the cream bottle. I'm guessing that they both date to the 1930s. My 20 carats is "blended in the USA with imported essences." Bottle is numbered 3283. I feel lucky to have found her and her bigger sister, Tabu, which were owned - but never worn - by the same woman.

27th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 07th February, 2011)

Oro by Paulina Rubio

Oro is a bright, semi-sweet vanilla that opens with a citrus blast but has a peppery, floral heart. The coffee/expresso is not dominant. Oro doesn't have a strong base & it's not deep. Regardless, I think a guy could pull this off too. Definitely wearable in warmer weather.

At first I thought Oro was very average & boring. However, I changed my mind as it developed on my skin. I prefer it to some other sweet-savory favorites such as Trussardi Inside, Gucci edp, & EL Sensuous, which are "biting" by comparison to me. Still, Oro is like, not love.

21st December, 2010

Je Reviens by Worth

I'm a fan neither of big florals nor of aldehydes, yet Je Reviens is very wearable & pleasant on me. JR has a retro vibe, perhaps 1960s? I would have never guessed that this was from the 1930s. Ever.

I am most certain that I have a version of the scathed & maligned "down market" version. Regardless, "down market" is certainly wearable on me. I will test the "couture" if I can find it, but I doubt it will be as pleasant and wearable to me.

15th September, 2010

Lumière (new) by Rochas

Lumiere is a very wearable, light, modern floral. It has just enough fruit to cut the white florals on top and prevent them from going cloying. I find Lumiere similar to Arden Beauty and Banana Republic W. If that's your playground, you just might like this reformulated Rochas too. For me, it's like-like but not love.

15th September, 2010

Theorema by Fendi

Given how "gaga" the community is over Theorema, I fully expected to love this one. I don't. I find the last-powering to be less than satisfactory. It also has a playdoh smell to me. I have a 10ml decant, which will be more than enough.

13th September, 2010

W by Banana Republic

Banana Republic W (BRW) is a very pleasant, light, slightly powdery, green floral. I don't get bug spray on top, but I do get about 5 minutes of urine, yes urine. It passes, and after that BRW is a fresh & citrusy office-appropriate everyday fragrance. It's a modern green that's best for spring or summer, I think.

I like my florals bold or light, and BWR fits the latter group. There's a white floral that's just a tad irritating to me when I wear it on my skin. Maybe Honeysuckle or Lily of Valley, or the combination of both? I don't get the same irritation when BRW is applied to a card. Amazing longevity on a card, btw - nearly a week later, still there - clear, bright, & clean.

BRW is something that seems appropriate for warmer weather, but for me it's not due to that white floral. However, BRW could be a go-to floral fragrance in the winter for me. It has enough green pep to brighten gray skies but enough depth to withstand cooler temps.

BRW reminds me of Alliage/Aliage, only a lighter, more floral version. You have to have the right chemistry to pull both off, imo. Thankfully I do - Alliage in summer, BRW in winter.

BRW is one of the few florals that I own. Obtained it in a swap, nearly 100ml full. Haven't decided if I will replace if (when) gone. Odds are, I'll probably swap it out.

12th September, 2010

Rectoverso Mystery Secret by Ulric de Varens

An Angel copy. Nothing more, nothing less.

03rd September, 2010

Omnia by Bulgari

When I want a gourmand, I reach for Omnia. I've tried many favorites in this genre, such as Trussardi Inside, L'or Torrente, Cafe, and Provactive Interlude. None do for me what Omnia does. I love Omnia, and it loves me back.

Chocolate, coffee, almond, spices, and vanilla are all very well blended, very adult.

Thank you, Alberto Morillas.

28th April, 2010 (Last Edited: 26th March, 2011)

Omnia Crystalline by Bulgari

Omnia Crystal & Shi (Sung) are among the few florals that I can wear before they go sickly on me. Both are very light fragrances that just become me ... not offensive, not obtrusive, clean, light, simple. I like it very much ... went through one bottle in about 6 months, which is very rare for me. I will be getting another very soon. Not one of my top 5 but definitely in my rotation.

28th April, 2010

Obsession Night by Calvin Klein

Far to clingy & cloying for me. It's living in the back of my mouth, which isn't a good thing when a fragrance doesn't like you and you don't like it. I will give this a try again in the winter months, but I don't think the verdict will be good.

28th April, 2010

Paul Smith London for Women by Paul Smith

Lovely Night -- that is how I would describe it. Think SJP, smoking a cigar ... and loving it. Yah, that's this one. You wouldn't wear it every day (or night), but when you do ... watch out.

I bought this on a lark. Tried it and hated it. Then, tried it and tolerated it. Then, liked it. Then, OMG ... there's nothing like this out there & I love it. It took mean nearly 4 months to fall for it.

My experience with this is SO different than others. Not sweet, not cloying on me. Not gourmand. For me, an atypical floral that quickly goes to the woods with a tobacco plant. It's almost masculine. I adore it.

27th April, 2010