Reviews by jcw122

jcw122's avatar
    jcw122

Navîgo Homme by Jafra

Great scent

I really enjoy this scent. It smells like an aquatic but with more complexity and depth. I wouldn't say the scent is anything out of the ordinary but it is enjoyable!

Pros: Good scent, good projection, good longevity
    Cons:

16 July, 2013

JF by Floris

Old Spice + Nouveau Bowery?

Initial application, this is an interesting but strange scent. Smells like a mix between a strong, generic men's fragrance and the lime/popsicle/sparkley notes of a fresh/citrus fragrance. And maybe some sort of detergent smell too. I don't think it's a very good combination, and the notes aren't well integrated. It really reminds me of something a man in his 40s/50s might wear who has bad taste.

After drying down a bit, the notes begin to mix better, and smell more natural. Still not a big fan.

Pros: Good projection
    Cons: Individual notes poorly mixed"

15 July, 2013

Unltd The Exhibit by Marc Ecko

Good fragrance!

Upon application smells much like oranges or tangerines. Doesn't project heavily. I don't have a fine enough nose to understand the base notes but perhaps woody and warm. It's overall a nice smelling scent.

Pros: Good summer scent
    Cons: OK projection"

11th July, 2013

Exceptional Because You Are for Men by Exceptional

Nothing Exceptional

Not sure what to say here. Smells like the perfume counter at any major department store. Bottom notes do smell interesting, I'll give it that. But I don't know what they are.

Pros: Generic, which can be a good thing sometimes?
    Cons: Smells generic, really like no effort was put in here"

10th July, 2013

Eros by Versace

More like Eros by Limited2

This stuff is terrible, I can't believe it's even marketed towards men! It reminds me too much of what most young girl's bodysprays smell like: CANDY CANDY CANDY! Yuck!

Pros: Cool color bottle
    Cons: Smells like a young girl's bodyspray"

09 July, 2013

Eau de Santal by Floris

Reminds me of LIDG

The first time I tried EDS I was underwhelmed, but after trying it again I am pretty impressed. It smells great, kind of reminds me of summer evenings getting ready for an exciting night...like that calm before the storm. It actually reminds me of LIDG without the lipstick note.

Smells: Soft, flowery, powdery, yet with an undertone of aggression. I can't really describe the notes beyond the powdery sweetness.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's something that I would like to wear, nor is it something I'd like to smell on a woman, unless it is a much more mature or older woman.

Pros: Soft and subtle
    Cons: Lacks sillage"

09 July, 2013

Santal Blush by Tom Ford

My girlfriend was unimpressed with this scent. Said "Pretty grandma smelling but with a twist".

Coriolan by Guerlain

I'm actually surprised that I enjoy this. The first things that come to mind are syrup/caramel, but in a vintage type of way, not in a boozy way at all. Normally old/vintage smelling types of fragrances are a turn off for me, but I actually enjoy this. Good stuff, I'd say it's probably more appropriate for Fall/Winter.

Private Collection by Estée Lauder

My girlfriend reports that this smells too much like an elderly woman for her tastes.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Great scent. I really enjoy the easygoing summery smell of this. Warm and fragrant like a summer day.

13 March, 2013

Luna Rossa by Prada

After trying an insert in Men's Health, I LOVED this scent, but after buying a bottle and trying it once, I realized it wasn't nearly as interested as I initially thought.

I don't remember any notes, but I can say that I don't think this is anything special.

13 March, 2013

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

I really think the cumin note was a mistake here. It ruins this fragrance for me. Floral with a strong cumin....no thanks! Why would you want cumin in any fragrance when cumin is often associated with bad BO?

10th March, 2013

Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

This literally smells like baby wipes...and if you don't know what that smells like, it's basically a mix of baby powder and ointment.

07 March, 2013

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I want to really like how this smells, but one of the notes just smells funny. I'm really unsure which of the notes it is but it reminds me of dark wooden dining room furniture. It smells good overall, but that one note just smells strange and somewhat synthetic.

26 January, 2013

Pi by Givenchy

Like everyone else is saying, it's a vanilla based fragrance. I think it smells great but honestly doesn't bring much to the table. I also got very poor longevity.

17 January, 2013

Yatagan by Caron

Smells like an old, cheap, poorly made fragrance. This fragrance seems like it was probably specific to the period it was made, and I don't think it is suitable for wear in any situation or season. Smells spicy, sweet, and old.

17 January, 2013

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Simply horrendous. The smell of rubber tires ground up for playgrounds has always made me nauseous, and it's no different with Bulgari Black. First thoughts upon smelling, "What is this...I don't even..."

The sad thing is all the other notes are actually really nice...but the rubber...whyyyyyy??!

17 December, 2012

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Fantastic! This scent smells somewhat feminine but something about it makes me fall in love. Powdery, flowery, yet sweet and somehow masculine. I have no issue wearing it in cold weather.

15 December, 2012

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

First thoughts: Aquatic yet green, reminds me of the beach, a "deep sea" type of scent, mellow but exciting.

Longevity is EXCELLENT, put it on at 10AM, and I can still smell it at 6PM. One thing to note is that the scent doesn't really change. Projection is good.

I really enjoy this scent, but I could never imagine buying it at Bond No. 9 prices.

15 December, 2012

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

The opening of this scent is fresh yet warm, and definitely comes under being a gourmand, but not one that is overpowering or too foody/candy-like.

After wearing it for a few hours, I don't really like it that much. It develops a feminine, synthetic smell that I can't describe but it bothers my nose. Also reminds me of a clubbing scent.

Overall, I can see others liking this, but I'm not a fan.

14 December, 2012

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

This fragrance has become one of my absolute favorites. I won't discuss notes, because technical analysis is not my forte. I will simply say that I love the complexity and depth that this fragrance brings. It is great for cool/cold weather, and I wear it throughout the day, not just in formal/night settings that others will discuss. I personally love wearing it, and my girlfriend enjoys it as well!

Supplementally, projection is good, and longevity is great.

05 November, 2012

R'oud Elements by Kerosene

I think this is a great fragrance...but I can't help but acknowledge the resemblance to Joop! Pour Homme. It has that candy-like scent to it mixed in with the oud, and is somewhat overpowering compared to the oud note. The note is must more smooth compared to how Joop can be rather sickening. Overall, it smells good but reminds me too much of Joop. I also wouldn't call it well blended...the "Joop" note and the Oud complement eachother, but seem only present in their own rights, not mixed. Overall, it's a great scent IMO, very unique, but lots of candy-ness which isn't my thing.

Projection and longevity are outstanding.

13 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 26 November, 2012)

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Unfortunately to my nose, this just smells like Old Spice. Can't really give a fragrance any points for that...

10th October, 2012

The Dreamer by Versace

I really enjoy this scent, smells similar to a more incense/spiced version of Body Kouros. The only problem is that although longevity is good, projection is poor.

03 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2012)

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

This is an interesting scent for me. I really don't understand what notes I'm smelling...but unfortunately it smells very close to what my grandmother wears. It's a great smelling scent, but unfortunately I can't get over that relationship.

02 October, 2012

Cool Water by Davidoff

Smells good, but I don't see the correlation with GIT that people talk about. I like how it smells, but the notes really don't seem to blend, at least during the opening. I'd call it an average scent.

28 September, 2012

Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

This scent makes me nauseous. The wood smell is too intense and simply smells like dark-stained wooden furniture. You can say it smells refined and formal and all that...but honestly it reminds me too much of furniture. Yuck.

16 September, 2012

Allure Homme by Chanel

I like how this fragrance smells, flowers and powder come to mind but with something more complex that I can't put my finger on. Overall, a pretty soft fragrance. I like how it smells but I don't think it's anything special. Might be nice for a warm day where you don't want something too notable.

16 September, 2012

Aventus by Creed

I love this scent, it took me a while but I definitely understand that pineapple scent people get. It's really hard to describe the rest of what I smell. Nonetheless, the only part that I find confusing with Creed fragrances is the lack of change. There is no drydown, the scent just remains the same until it dies off. It lasts a long time. I noticed this with MI too, it stays exactly the same until it dies off. I don't really like the fact that there is no drydown effect.

14 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 September, 2012)

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

This scent smells great. To my inexperienced nose I get a lot of caramel and warm scents that really complement the Fall weather nicely. Unfortunately as others have said the longevity is very poor. Only stays on me a few hours.

12 September, 2012