Reviews by Paul G

Paul G's avatar
    Paul G

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Powdery, sexy and fun. This is one that transcends situations and works well with just about anything you're doing. Very underrated scent and similar to Kouros in name only. The Eucalyptus note stands out and set this apart. If you like Bvlgari Black or Le Male, give this one a go.

12th August, 2006

Frank No. 1 by Frank Los Angeles

Outstanding scent that is very quiet and well made. It has a nice non sharp citrus edge at the top and the sweet spice and florals mark the middle. There isn't a dominant note in this scent. All of the scents seem there solely to compliment each other. Excellent scent and one that should get more attention.

04th June, 2006

Musc Alizé by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This scent is fun. Excellent and one of the longer lasting CSPs. Fresh crisp musk with a hairspray vibe. Fun and casual. It's one that is great for lazy weekend days with a lot of heat and humidity. Great for breaking up the monotony of Summer Citrus scents that we all have.

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

A thinner Lolita for men. Excellent Anise based scent that is different enough for me to tip my cap to Lanvin for this one. Worth a try and a nice and classy choice that will work well in most situations.

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

Another scent I've tried twice and remember nothing about, aside from being mediocre. It's not offensive or bad, just a run of the mill scent that fails to do anything either way for me.

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Another Malle that has some interesting stuff going on in it, but just isn't something I could wear. Honey and musk are all over the place, but there's again that rotten flower note that gets involved and sadly ruins what is very interesting in its progression. Very much on the femme end of unisex. Definitely worth a try as it will leave an impression. Just not something I could wear.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Aside from the fact that it has horrid staying power, this scent is a huge let down from a house that I hold in VERY high regard. Another fresh marine AdG knockoff that leaves the wearer wanting more. It's nice, but uncreative. I expect more from a house that has put out gems like Pour Homme and amazing Black. Too bad, I hope this isn't a sign of times to come. C'mon Bvlgari, you're better than this.

Eau de Santal by Floris

Good pure sandalwood scent that will leave an impression on you. Dry and not terribly medicinal like some sandalwoods can be. Decent lasting power, though the Intense version reminds me of Himalaya (but not was nicely done). Destined to be a classic and one that most people will like.

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

The next season of 24 might have Jack Bauer trying to capture Jean LaPorte for releasing this horrid juice on the fragrance world. There are no notes in this that can stand up to the sledgehammer use of vetiver in this scent. The use of Vetiver in this scent reminds me of the rats in medical labs who are allowed to hit the morphine button as much as they liked with any consequences not being considered. If you're a vetiver lover, it might work, but this is a crime against humanity. It doesn't so much wear as radiate off your skin. What was he thinking. This makes a Villoresi scent look like a CSP.

Racine by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

With Centaure and RdV part of LaPorte's "Death by Vetiver" line. The vetiver strangles any other notes that are trying to appear in the dry down. Not something I ever want to wear.

O'Pomelo / Pamplemousse by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Let me preface this by saying that the lasting power of this scent is the worst I've ever seen. However, this scent is great enough to overcome that sad fact. Crisp sweet grapefruit, white musk and a hint of pepper make this the best pure citrus scent available without a shadow of a doubt. While I do need to reapply a lot, this scent is refereshing and wonderful. A must have for anyone who is looking for a bright summer citrus. Unisex as they come.

Aqua Motu / Motu by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Hot sand in a bottle. It smells exactly like crisp carribean air. Fabulous pick me up scent with decent lasting power. It gives me something different each time I wear it and again breaks up the redudancy of many summer scents. Definitely worth a go and one of the more unique scents on the market. Excellent scent.

Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

If you like iris, you'll love it. If you don't, you won't. Floral to a fault and turned rancid on me. It has very good lasting power and has a lot going on, but not something I could wear at all.

Grain de Plaisir by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

WEIRD. That's about all I can say. Citrus notes combined with a sickly sweet celery note. I've worn this a few times and don't know what I think. It will leave an impression if nothing else, but not something I could ever wear. There's a ton going on here though.

Gendarme by Gendarme

when someone requests the perfect office scent, there should be a picture of this automatically sent as a reply. Crisp, clean and wonderful. It's in the vein of Bvlgari Pour Homme and a classic in the truest scents. Fabulous scent and something that you can never go wrong with. Outstanding in every sense. Timeless.

Fraîche Badiane by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Lemon and Anise. It should work, but it doesn't. It got weird on me and ended up having an odd drydown that reminded me of the dehydrated urine you produce after a night of heavy consumption of hard liquor. Interesting, but didn't do anything for me. Very odd scent.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I just couldn't warm up to this. It always made me feel slightly nauseaous. Interesting and strong. The citrus and tobacco contrast each other, but it just doesn't work on me. Hairy chested scent that is just something I can't wear.

Barbier des Isles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Dry vetiver based scent that is done better by countless houses. Plus the lasting power isn't the best (which in this case isn't necessarily a bad thing). There's a lot more unique and wearable selections from this house. Not my bag at all.

Baïmé by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Superb. A linear scent with Basil and thyme dominating. Not much progression but never fails to leave an impression and a great comfort scent. Works well in all climates and all styles of dress. Excellent scent and one that while it might not work for everyone, is excellent. The best that MPG has to offer along with Santal Noble.

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Good but done better by L'artisan's Ambre Extreme. Not quite as thick as that one, but nice. If you own either Ambre Sultan or Ambre Extreme, there's no reason to get this one.

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Sweet, rich and cloying. I thought it was impossible to find a cloying summer scent, but they pulled it off here. Picture creme brulee and apricots. To clarify, not a good thing.

Aloha Tiaré / Tiaré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Was advertised as unisex by some......it's not. Floral scent that didn't work on me at all. Interesting, but not something most men could even come close to pulling off.

Pour le Jeune Homme by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

rather fond of this one. it's like a more modern update of the classic citrus that wear easier and doesn't have the musty edge that the guerlains of the world get. not a ground breaker but works very well in major heat. nice scent!

19th April, 2006

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Excellent lasting power, but a scent I have trouble pinning down. It has a lot going on in it and is right on the line of being sharp to a fault, but it changes drastically througout the wearing. It is somewhat unique though, which is a nice change of pace from this house.

15th April, 2006

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

the Silver Mountain Water comparisons are valid. However, it has a much woodier base that comes out in the drydown. Has similar lasting power and fairly nice. If you own SMW though there's really not a big reason to get this. Not worth the high price and one of the reasons they catch the grief they do about lack of originality.

15th April, 2006

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Picture a CSP scent with a soul. Fabulous scent. I can't say enough about this one. Fresh orange blossom and citrus that positively sings in hot and humid weather. While the lasting power is typical of a citrus scent, this one is beyond words and the best of its genre. Amazing scent.

Original Santal by Creed

Wow is this horrid. I had the misfortune of applying one spray to my wrist at Neiman Marcus. This scent is one of the more powerful Creed scents out there, and in this case, that's not a good thing. It's a typical heavy sandalwood based scent with zero vision and even less wearability. Only one spray was enough to make my 87 year old Grandmother tell me I smelled terrible and that I was wearing too much "aftershave" and my sister (who was at a separate place and never comments on scents) tell me to, "take it easy with the cologne". Santal Noble does this far better and is far more wearable. Another in a long line of disappointments from the modern Creed noses.

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The best scent put out in the last 3 years. This is a total mindblower. It's a typical thick and syruppy Lutens that comes off a lot like Amen without the lavendar. Rich caramel and tar in this one. Outstanding lasting power and it projects without being over the top. Fabulous scent and one that lives up the reputation of this house. A must try.....too bad it's only available in the EU.

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A vetiver based scent that I can't get a beat on. It's extraordinarily dry. I can't get a strong feeling for it either way, though there are some days where it works. It's a scent that's unique enough to warrant trying, but I really can't get a full bearing on what I think of it. I have to be in the exact perfect mood to wear it....regretfully that isn't very often. It has enough going on in it to warrant a test drive, but I can't figure out what it's trying to do.

Jour de Fête by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Sadly it's not available in the US very readily. This scent is wonderful. While it's compared by some to Play-doh, that's not the thrust of the scent. It's almond and white musk and really stunning. Sadly though, it's hard to find in these parts.