Reviews by Susy

Susy's avatar
    Susy

Cleopatra by Tocca

I wish I could write more positively about 'Cleopatra'. There's nothing wrong with its scent - it's certainly not harsh; in-your-face, or chokingly strong... but on the other hand, it's so very soft, so unassertive, it gets lost on the skin. I love Cleopatra's gentle rosy glow - for about six minutes. That's about how long the bouquet lasts. Very disappointing.

25 January, 2010

Aimez-Moi by Caron

What a graceful scent Aimez Moi is -- and I would say, sophisticated. It is not a floral scent - it's somewhat powdery, although that's not exactly the word I would use to describe it...Hmm, let me put it this way. The perfume's color is gold, and somehow this perfume smells golden. If sunlight had a smell, I think Aimez-Moi would be it. There's a hint of spice, but not a sweet spice; it's amber and anise with just a touch of clove.

The scent is soft, and yet assertive. It doesn't announce itself like some stronger perfumes do, but it floats up on the wearer. There is a warmth to it. It seems to last well, staying close to the body, where a perfume belongs. I receive many compliments and/or "what perfume are you wearing?'" when I wear Aimez-Moi, and to me, that's the greatest testimonial anyone can give a perfume.

14 January, 2010

Comme des Garçons 3 by Comme des Garçons

I don't know when I've been as disappointed in, or as disgusted with, a particular perfume, as I was when I put on this scent. I'd heard Jaisalmer described as a "rich, exotic" scent; with "smoky incense notes"; "blended with cardamon and cinnamon warmed by a strong hot pepper note" that dries "somewhat sweeter". All sounds pretty good, huh?

I've tried scents I couldn't like before, scents that I guess just didn't react well with my skin, but I've never experienced quite such an overwhelmingly negative reaction as I had to Jaisalmer. Jaisalmer is smoky all right, but not in a good way. If you'd like to smell like a wet ashtray, then Jaisalmer is right up your alley, but when I put this scent on my wrists, I was immediately reminded of a crowded subway ride on a muggy, rainy day, when I was trapped near an unwashed man whose damp clothes were permeated with cigarette smoke. Admittedly, I couldn't wait for the allegedly sweeter and perhaps more floral dry down; I had to get to a restroom to scrub off this scent, and thank God for Yardley's oatmeal soap.

I'll gladly give most new perfumes a chance to grow on me, but Jaisalmer smelt like something that had been growing in someone's gym clothes. Dreadful.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

I don't find L'Ombre dans L'Eau "processed-smelling" at all. To me it's a totally natural, rose-infused scent, which is saved from being too overwhelmingly (or overpoweringly) "rose", by the citrus notes. I like its initial warm rush and tenderness of the rose, which dries to a lighter and less complex hue but manages to retain an earthy tartness (geranium)? A great 'winter' scent -- wearing it reminds me that Spring will come again.

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

Kenzo Jungle L'elephant is a dry and yet warm scent that I immediately liked from the first gentle spritz. (Quite a relief - I took a chance and bought it blind after reading favorable reviews at other websites.)

If you're tired of floral and citrus scents, I recommend Jungle L'elephant. I tend to favor light perfumes and this one is almost astringent in its dry cleanliness, but it manages to stay sexy with its flavorful, woody-spice-with-a-touch-of-cinnamon blend. It's assertive but not overpowering.

An unexpected bonus was my husband noticing the new perfume immediately and commenting on it favorably. Even my office coworkers like this scent -- and since they're all sensitive to perfumes in one respect or another, that was also a bonus.

Esencia de Duende by J del Pozo

This is quite simply a lovely, driftingly light and lemon-y scent (notes of mandarin, melon & mimosa, actually), perfect for day wear. It stays close to the skin and yet people do notice when I wear it. I've worn it since 2004 and it has never failed to garner compliments.

I think the unfavorable review on this page may really be for J. del Pozo's "Duende", which is a much more processed scent, heavier than Esencia and not as natural. (And actually is a scent I don't care for, either.) Esencia is indeed an "essence"; light, sunny, entirely feminine, and refreshing.