Reviews by man114

Cityscape by Mary Kay

An odd take on more modern fragrances like Acqua Di Gio. It doesn't seem different enough to differentiate itself and seems on the weaker side for coming in 2oz bottles. I'll wear it for a few days and report back.
22nd June, 2017

Preferred Stock by Coty

Wore this the last two days on a throwback because I've had a few bottles sitting here forever.

You know, I don't mind it. Sure it smells synthetic, it's cheap as dirt. It reminds me of a cheapened less complex Giorgio Red.

My rating is based somewhat in price but unlike the 1990s no one really wears it as much anymore due to all the fresh scents, so all I can say is isn't bad these days, kind of refreshing like people wearing Royal Copenhagen which no one seems to wear either despite wide availability (and I can spot that one a mile away).

02nd October, 2015

Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud

I am not sure I care for it and it lingers more than EDT. Easily into the next day. My wife thinks it smells like Play Doh. One co-worker described it as oddI think it has an odd lingering scent as if you took a bunch of tree leaves and ground them up.

Then there are the results wearing it. I have been heavily complimented on it. From saying I have excellent taste, I had the finest aftershave ever, a lady even asked what it was so she could buy it for her husband. In all honestly probably 15-20 compliments to 5 smells like urine or Play Doh. At least 75 percent or more thought this was good stuff! Enough so to say something!

The scent clearly appeals to some people, that is clear. Compliments were glowing. I have worn enough stuff that I am indifferent. To me this smells like an odd batch of green leaves ground up with a touch of musk. I am usually good at picking this stuff apart too.

My honest advice is you may not like it, but it is cheap. Buy it, wear it a few days. Even if you don't care for it others might love it.e
31st January, 2014

Black Suede by Avon

Wouldn't really call this a woodsy knockoff of Aramis, Aramis is a more green foresty type fragrance. Here is what I think of this stuff....

Barbershop/anamalic, that is the best you could desxribe this stuff as. How it plays in a given situation? Well exactly that.

Up front this stuff is almost interolerable. Smells like poorly blended crap.

If you get past the opener its an anamalic barbershop fragrnace.

This stuff is really highly subective. Really. Really. Can't stress that too much.

Make it past 15 minutes you're fine, its a strong weird barbershop. Do not apply and immediately do something. This is not spritz in the bathroom at the prom stuff.

My personal advice, a couple of spritzes, wait 20 minutes, you've got a tolerable barbershop. Outside this timeframe its rather like an overly strong clubman or along those lighns. Inside the 20 minutes forget it.

Outside initial elements it breaks down into a warm barbershop type scent. Outside that overly anamalic, harsh and weird. My advice? Wait 20 minutes after applying and you'll be fine.
05th November, 2012

Sumatra Rain by Sumatra

Average aquatic type scent with nothing to set it apart from anything else in the genre...

My bottle says by Muelhens on the back (makers of 4711) and is of unknown vintage likely early 1990s, had some relatives over from Germany and think they brought this stuff over for the visit, but has held up decently enough over the years.
12th October, 2012

Aramis by Aramis

Smells awfully similar to the modern version of Quorum. Its got that same harsh citrusy, smoky scent for much of its life. The Sandalwood, vaguely present in the drydown, is cheaply synthetic like modern Grey Flannel.

I don't like it on myself. My wife doesn't like it. It was strong and overbearing when I wore it to work. I convinced my son to wear some. I thought it smelled good on him but he didn't like it. I guess it is all about interpretations. I guess I probably wouldn't mind it on someone else but I don't like wearing it because I don't like it. If I wanted this Quorum has more underlying spice I think it fits better.

These are all based on modern versions. Older Quorum smells different as I've noted. I will attempt to obtain vintage Aramis for a comparison as time allows.
23rd April, 2012

Windjammer by Avon

A very nice fresh scent Avon broke way too early. This stuff would sell great these days. Oddly despite a 1995 reissue it didn't catch on. My 1969 sample was fine for the purposes of review.

You get a nice refeshing cool minty/menthol blast. This actually feels cool on your skin, would make for an awesome aftershave, or if you had enough a nice summer slapsh.

This is followed by?... a nice crisp citrus, kind of on the terms of lemon peel, a little bit more in that direction than some, but this had to have been almost revolutionary at the time.

Woodsy spicy drydown follows, decently balanced.

They couldn't have executed a better variant after all these years? Avon was ahead of the trend on this stuff, it does what many colognes are trying to do today, but bette. Thankfully it was so abunant you could technically find some today without much trouble.

It probably didn't fit the stuff of the time but today it smells curren despite its old age.
19th April, 2012

Hot Water by Davidoff

Boring. Generic smelling oriental on the sweeter side.
19th March, 2012

Aspen for Men by Coty

Ok Cool Water type fragrance with a bit of mint and a better drydown, not exactly GIT here, think it falls somewhere in the middle. Good for the price, better than some of the type, but not typically memorable. Synthetic, but OK. For $15 what can you expect.

Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

Good take on a fresher scent. Long lasting, good sillage. Some of the notes are a tad synthetic, but if I want a fresh fragrance, I want it to last all day, not fade into general rubbish, this stuff does a fairly decent job of it. One of the few fresh scents I find mostly decent from start to finish, that alone gets it a thumbs up.

9 IX Rocawear by Rocawear

Yawn.

Not untolerable. Not memorable. Typical mass appeal stuff. Rather unusual take on a woodsy drydown. Dunno what I'd consider this. Inferior Usher derivative? Not worth the time?

Yawn.

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

You've smelled this before. I'll give you a hint. It is very similar to the original with a bit of tobacco and a slightly different balance.

If you're on a budget you could achieve a nearly identical fragrance by mixing BOD Sexxy X2 and Remy Latour Cigar. It would be slightly less spicy in the opener but nearly identical thereafter.

The vanilla and chocolate overpower everything after the opener.

Tobacco can be blended with the two notes, look at the variety of pipe tobacco, but if this smelled like Captain Black smells in its pouch this would be a heavenly scent, just too much vanilla and choloclate and not enough tobacco.

I don't really dislike it, I just think it could have been more. I think I'll wear a layered version of the Cigar and BOD tomorrow and see if anyone thinks its Pure Havane. I'm just a bit curious.
16th December, 2011

UR for Men by Usher

To sum this up in one word? Yawn.

Ended up with this as part of a promotion, one of three scents I could pick none of which were exactly my cup of tea, otherwise I'd probably have never bought it.

Very generic synthetic citrus/fruity/woody concoction.

It smells very similar to All American Stetson but seems less strong on the upside, and unless you go looking for it at off price stores costs more. About the only difference is that, the stronger All American Stetson just seems to progress slightly differently because its notes are stronger.

I think if you were to compare the two you'd probably agree:

Lemony peachy vs. generic fruity which they claim is Guava - both smell fruity

a tad of some generic spice in the middle vs. something which I think might be nutmeg - both have a tad of spice, placing whatever generic spice note in here is tough due to the fact its not very strong.

generic woods with a pinch of something sweet and fruity (same type of woodsy note I get out of Bang) vs. generic woods and a tad of musk.

Overall they smell very similar.

Longevity is fair at best, could go all the way down to poor. I put on a LOT to try and make it through a long workday. It made it through the day, but you could wear half as much of some other stuff and get the same result.

This is one you could wear to freshen up, no one is going to be able to tell it apart from anything else by name. Not a compliment or a word from anyone on this. Upside is outside of a department store its pretty cheap, no great loss of funds. All American Stetson will do the same thing for less though.

09th November, 2011

Excalibur by Avon

Circa 1969 sample dark storage container with no apparent evaporation:

Crisp green and woody up front. If you continue smelling it close to the skin at this point you can detect cinnamon.

It progresses to a mostly woodsy drydown, a dab of musk, a touch of spice and something akin to lime peel (but it does not strike me as bergamot if that was the source of the citrus) There is not much of a transition from the time the crispness wears off to this point.

It doesn't project much after the opening, drydown is quite pleasant actually. A touch heavy on wood perhaps. Nothing to write home about.

I wouldn't give a thumbs up. It is not exciting it will not offend after its brief opening. The crisp opening reminds me vaguely if a citrusy Polo or something along those lines. That might sound appealing but it is not as appealing as you would think
01st November, 2011

McGraw by Tim McGraw

As generic as this stuff is I like it. It isn't like the typical Cool Water fare. Honestly I liked it from the moment I first smelled it, only because it didn't try to be the usual stuff, but somewhat different.

Up front to me this smells doughy. After that a bit of spice (nutmeg?), some lavender ends up slightly sweet and woody. I agree with The Cologneist on this, I think there is vanilla in here regardless of what is listed, it is probably to sweeten it up and prevent it from coming off as too dry and woody. Longevity is average, but I don't expect much from drugstore stuff. Sounthern Blend has a better drydown but has less projection and for me is a skin scent almost 10 minutes after I put it on and even on a hot day I don't get anything out of it. This will at least project if its getting hot. A tradeoff of sorts.

This is a good $10 buy though. Should be plenty of it floating around after the holidays in reduced gift sets if you're not willing to even spend that much.
26th October, 2011

Quorum by Antonio Puig

A dark forest is what I picture. A weird conglomeration of spices and green. Seems to have cinnamon which isn't listed here.

When I wear it I feel like an 80s bar hopper. Smells like it would mix well with cigarette smoke and such you would find in a bar.

I don't find it to be a powerhouse. It isn't overpowering. It does fade out in its current formulation without much fuss within the period of a standard workday to a skin scent. Older formula seems a bit more crisp. Unlike other reformulations like Polo and Halston here either is acceptable.

I think this would be too brash for most regular wear. I personally don't care what I wear to those aiming to be proper it might seem to strong.
04th October, 2011

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Not as bad as I thought it would be. I bought a bottle at a thrift store, probably from a gift set that someone didn't like.

I wore it a couple of times thinking it was going to be annoying. Its really not bad for what it aims to be, a bit sweet. Smells like candied something. Cherries or Bubblegum come to mind. I don't notice any of the top notes. The drydown has vague notes of something woody and some vanilla.

As far as sillage and projection, this stuff doesn't hit it for me, be it skin chemistry, this isn't a one spray scent on my skin, one spray is gone in an hour or two. Takes about 5 to make it though an 8 hour day if I were to wear it to work. To go by recommendations of it being one spray, test your skin chemistry first. I just wouldn't wear a lot right off the bat without first trying it. One spray was dead by 10am. Three got me until late afternoon. Five lasted to the evening.

This isn't my cup of tea, every time I smell it I think rich yuppies clubbing in the early 90s.
04th October, 2011

BOD Man: 'X' by Parfums de Coeur

Very weird stuff. Reminds me of the typical Cool Water type scent coupled onto an oriental with a piney note up front. You won't go saying its GIT here because you know it smells cheaper and less natural. Up front bam you've got cool water and a hint of pine. Instead of subsiding into your typcial woody/mossy drydown as the citrus subsides instead you get a musky ambery oriental with a touch of vanilla and spcie, this then progresses to a fairly generic woody scent as time wears on. Like adding an extra step in the process.

I rate it a neutral because it progresses kind of weird. It is difficult to judge where it is coming from and what is going on. Like one of those scents with a ton of stuff going on at once. If you overapply or underapply some notes outlast others and it comes off different.

Overall it progresses fairly well for a giant body spray that costs $8, and it doesn't smell overly cheap. That is the surprise here. People will wonder what it is. I just think some of what it does is kind of strange. Not bad, but unsual. Very interesting and at least worth trying at the price. I hate Cool Water (but not all of its imitators), I like Orientals (for the most part but with exceptions), this here is some sort of quasi middleground the aquatic oriental Longevity is good for he price.
08th August, 2011

Satisfaction for Men by Jovan

Generic but pleasant.
01st August, 2011

King by Parfums de Coeur

Up front it smells vaguely like sweet Drakkar. Perhaps Caesar's Man is a better interpretation as this is sweeter smelling than Drakkar as is Caesar's. Opening is almost identical but weaker to Caesar's. After a period of time (not a long one, I've met my friend an hour or two after he put this stuff on) it smells like an incense stick. An oriental gone wrong or cheap, but not a good comparison there are good smelling cheap orientals. I couldn't place it for a while but finally hit the nail on the head. It smells like an incense stick plain old $1 incense from a dollar store. This is not a long period of time, an hour or two maybe you're not getting much of that sweeater Drakkar/Caesar's opening for your money (granted it isn't much money). This incense stick presence lasts for hours and hours, and projects madly if its hot out, or stays almost unnoticed if its cool. My friend wears this from time to time and we always make fun of its tagline calling it "Conquesto El Stinko". It smells OK if you smell it yourself or out of the bottle, but on someone else you're constantly thinking what awful cologne. Ever so often you'll catch a whiff and thing "that is just awful colgone you're wearing). It is that bad. He did however get complimented on it at a store from a clerk, and my wife doesn't dislike it, so perhaps the ladies like it more? It isn't worth the torture you endure suffering through it. I wore it today and am on maybe hour 12, at which according to the box it should be going strong. Smells the same at this point as if I wore their cheapo BOD Man 24K spray, a skin scent that is only dry and woody by that point, almost overly dry, I'd not consider it attractive at this point, but bland, tossed into the myriad of cheap woody drydowns of cheap sub $10 colognes.

The progression goes something like this, sweet Drakkar/Caesar's Man, Incense, dry woody. There are better, more refined smelling fragrances that have plenty of incense if you like it even on the cheap end, if you wanted something sweeter with some incense, get Elizabeth Taylor's Passions for Men it is only a bit more and is much more tolerable and has a much more pleasant impresson. This stuff earned our take on its tag line, "Conquisto El Stinko", for good reason.
01st August, 2011

Catalyst for Men by Halston

Odd. The Clove overpowers most of the top notes when you first apply it citrus lasts for 30 seconds then its cloves and sage. This strikes me as having a strange discord amongst the notes up front. Then it turns into musky woody cloves with a dash of nutmeg that reminds me of some sort of cheap bay rum aftershave but much more concentrated, doesn't let up and is on the sweeter side, like spiced cookies. Only reason I give it a neutral as opposed to a thumbs down as it is at least an attempt at something somewhat different, just not in a good way.
04th May, 2011

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I never minded Grey Flannel, so I went and bought a bottle yesterday as I've not had it in a while and am ever so reluctant to use stashes of bottles of things I have dating to the 80s or earlier. So why am I going to give it a neutral? Read on.

Upon initial application its everything it was. Smells exactly the same as it did in my old bottle dating to the 1980s. I was actually quite excited about this. I was expecting some threadbare replicant of the original like Polo has become. Thankfully they didn't take this route. Still beautifully floral and full of its oakmoss character like Halston Z-14 was before they shot that one down. But everything comes with an expense. Longevity is still quite good but what they have done is cheapen the ingredients. If indeed the drydown is sandalwood as the pyramid claims it certainly doesn't smell much like it but instead some sort of rather generic something I'd call it generic woody note. You can't go say it has always been this way. Double blind it with the original and when you're to the drydown the original smells decidedly more expensive. Now I'm not going to complain too much this is $15 or less for a 4oz bottle on sale and still smells way more expensive than that. Plus the magic of this one, for me is in the opening not the drydown. Still it would be nice to have the complete package, and if perhaps I submit enough neutral reviews of once great products someone will see they can't continue to cheapen the fragrances to the point where they are unrecognizeable shadows of themselves. Don't get me wrong Grey Flannel smells fine, for now, and I still like it, but cheapening just a bit in the drydown is the first step towards something no one wants to wear. Thankfully its still chock full of oakmoss, a note I'm very sensitive to, because if they removed that I'd be unable to wear it like the current versions of Polo and Halston.

My advice, remember what it was, buy it now as it is while you can. Its still very very similar to how it used to be, but it is only a matter of time before they go to work on this one again and it becomes something not even close to its original formula.
04th May, 2011

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

Dirt cheap. I'll give it that. I'm not sure where to place this. Does it have similarities to Le Male? Yes. It also has similarities to BOD $$$ especially in the drydown. I think Le Male is stronger, and so is BOD $$$. It falls somewhere in between IMHO, less synthetic than the ultra cheapy, less strong than the more expensive. I put it on at 6:30AM and can still smell it at 10:30PM. For a $5 cologne thats pretty good.
02nd May, 2011

Façonnable Eau de Toilette for Men / Façonnable by Façonnable

Weird opening, smells like some sort of synthetic clenaer mixed with an electronics store or a walk through Bloomingdales mens cologne section during 1996 or so when they were spraying Cool Water like scents left and right. Too much clashing between the opening accords in my opinion. It is harsh and offputting, After the initial blast it turns into something that vaguely resembles Green Irish Tweed or Cool Water with a weird twang that reminds me of green grass. Softens up to a forgetable woodsy endiing with some sort of leather like note that smells like new shoes, probably a clash between the jasmine and musk (sweet and sharp).

I disagree with the Minotaure comparison someone gave because Minotaure isn't offputting from the get go and is overall pleasant. It is better balanced as it never strikes the strong discord I got from this stuff. This gets boring in the drydown in all honesty I've gotten better drydown from $7 bottles of BOD Man. It doesn't smell like it uses overly cheap ingredients, its just too plain and not memorable with an offputting top note.

I'd rate it neutral, its wearable, but not special. Given that it seems to be available pretty cheaply you can do a lot worse.
29th April, 2011

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

Nothing fancy, a refreshing yet bitter citrusy scent with a bit of woods in what little drydown it has. Doesn't linger heavily. I like to splash a bit on after a shower in the evening after I use the hot tub for the hour or two before bed. Kinda like I'd do with Clubman right after shaving. It is relatively cheap for a large bottle. Given how old the formula is it isn't really bad for what it does. The shower gel of this stuff is great and nicely refreshing.

Recently obtained a super old sample boxed and sealed from the 1930s or so. This proved a bit more interesting. It is far less synthetic. Drydown, distinctly and subtlely more complex, or at least less cheap, noticeably more musky, and arrived at by what appears to be a blend of spices, kind of reminds me of something Avon would contrive. The new stuff smells cheap in comparison. This would make sense as to the longstanding popularity of this stuff, at some point it wasn't that bad.
03rd April, 2011 (last edited: 29th January, 2012)

British Sterling by Dana

Wow another case of cheapening. This was good stuff as late as the late 1980s, they've watered it down a LOT. I picked up a cologne of it around Christmas and it is as weak as the old aftershave. I have no gripes about the scent itself and I'd give it a thumbs up if it weren't watered down and not going down in price to compensate, if anything it costs more now, almost as much as what more expensive colognes cost.

That gripe aside its a rather nice warmer, spicy, powdery scent. It smells clean without being too powedery and doesn't lean towards the typical aquatic either. I don't expect much here, however if a 12oz bottle of Clubman can cost $8 there is no reason this can't either. Longevity is about the same. This doesn't smell of expensive top shelf ingredients either. Pretty soon it'll be in 8oz bottles like Royal Copenhagen and Pierre Cardin, where you literally have to slather yourself in it to get longevity, as opposed to a couple of sprays.

Fragrance gets a thumbs up, marketing/packaging/watering down gets a thumbs down. This equals a neutral. Bring it back to where it was 25 years ago and I'll give it a thumbs up.

Update, I sampled a 2011 Christmas era version. Not quite as weak as last year (ingredients cheaper, economy improving?) over the top though on the floral side. No noticably citrus. I think the floral is a cheap synethetic lavender/aldehyde mix. My god was it strong, but I wore a dose based on last year's colored water of course. The spicy notes dominate the drydown. Clove overpowers most of whats left.

Still smells OK, but it seems there is enough play in the recipe that if it is vaguely similar to the original, that is OK. Seems to be a lot of of year to year varience with the same general presence. If smelled and a distance its pretty similar, but if looked at in terms of longevity and how it progresses there are some noticable variences.
31st March, 2011 (last edited: 29th December, 2011)

Silver by Dana

Shares some similarities with its bretheren, British Sterling. Floral opening like with a bit of spice underneath. Closes down with powder. A little sweet. Its nice and light and smells clean, not heavy and overbearing. Opens powerfully but dies off pretty quickly takes a good bit to get any sillage out of it.. I give it a thumbs up because while it lasts it smells nice and pleasant. Easy to see why it is discontinued. Doesn't smell like something out of 1989 and seems oddly out of place for the time when it was released. A weird melange of a toned down 70s powder bomb, and a more modern lighter floral that vaguely reminds of Paul Sebastian PS. It is highly blended and difficult to guess any particular notes here. I'd liken it to a cross between PS without the vanilla and British Sterling with a hint of Gravity. You're left with something that while released in the 80s has no market there, not really a powerhouse, more like a toned down 70s scent. Don't let this discourage you it is at least worth a try. My wife loves this stuff.
31st March, 2011

English Leather Musk by Dana

Musk and powder (and quite heavy on the powder). Wore it last week. Lasts long enough but smells cheap and reminds me of a barbershop type fragrance. By lasts long enough it lasts longer than English Leather for me which is about a 25 minute ride into nothing. I could smell it hours later. Very little progression, smells virtually identical from the moment you put it on until you can't smell it anymore. Don't expect anything special here.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I don't mind Cool Water for the most part except it has an annoying off putting metallic note on the drydown. I don't know what sparks it or if it is a combination of the notes, but even some of the knockoffs don't have it (and for that matter similar fragrances from other companies don't either). If it weren't for that I'd give it a thumbs up. Otherwise if I must I'll wear a knockoff or something similar that doesn't exhibit the same properties.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Typical aquatic type scent. This one puts up some synthetic fruity notes on top and bottoms them with the typical woodsy notes. Nothing too original, but seems to be a very popular version of it. Somewhat more synthetic than some up front. Almost too many people wear it. Seriously you'd be more original wearing a less common BOD spray. This stuff is easy to do a knockoff of too. Like those Cool Water $3 copies smell close enough that people can't tell the difference. One day last summer I splashed some knockoff version of it on before going to a car show (I'll usually wear a knockoff if I'm wearing it for a short time and not expecting a lot of longevity). I got the same compliments and no one could tell the difference. Personally I don't know what you'd get compliments anyway from something that is so common that everyone is wearing it but whatever. If I want a good unqiue version of this type of scent I'd wear the old Unisex FCUK before this, it smells more natural and less synthetic. About the only thing I can say is it doesn't go too green like Polo Sport or Cool Water.