Reviews by Sir Jim

Elixir by Penhaligon's

I tried this in our local Penhaligons shop and was amazed. It seemed to smell of lots of things at once but all in accord with one another. The stand out note for me was a ginger beer like smell which I absolutely love. This is a scent for day wear but you could get away with it at night depending on the occasion. Like I have said before I am useless at describing the different notes so I won't try in this case as to me its very complex. I received a bottle for Christmas and have been liberally dousing myself with it ever since. I love Penhaligons scents, my wife and I are both great fans. They all have an understated dignity to them. An ace scent and its just occurred to me that it is a fun scent thanks to that gingery note.

8 88 by Comme des Garçons

This is a brilliant fragrance. It is light and delicate and sort of reminds me of a Floris perfume I bought my wife once. I get the impression a cool breeze wafting over a mixture of white flowers. The smell lasts for ages, I have a scarf that still smells of this after I sprayed it two months ago. The way the floral smell is delivered is definitely masculine in a light refined sense. This is something I would wear in the daytime at any time of year. Some men may be put off by the floral scent and may find it a touch effeminate. I think this is a scent for the mature, confident and elegant thinking man. Note that I would describe myself that way. I think this may be my next purchase.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

I ordered a bunch of samples and this was the one I was least excited about trying. I was very pleasantly surprised when I tried it. It has excellent longevity. I loved the amber and smokiness in it. My wife really liked this one on me. I think this is a scent to wear in the evening as some may find it a little potent for the day. I dare say there are some chaps who could carry this off well in daytime but I am not one of them. I wore a scarf when I tried this and I kept putting it to my nose to smell it, I could tell there was complexity to it but I lack the expertise and imagination to define it. Its a winner in my book.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

My wife bought this for me one christmas. I initially found it to be a typical after shave smell, almost a fragrance cliche. The odd thing is I find that I reach for it whenever its cold out or when going somewhere quite dressy. I have trouble defining fragrance characteristics so this will be short. The amber stands out of me once it has settled down and it last a long time on me, 8 hours plus easily. I get very positive and flirty remarks from women who have smelled this on me. Best of all my wife finds it very warm and comforting. A good solid fragrance and great value for money as you only need to spray a little on your neck for a great effect.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I ordered a sample of this along with a load of others and this was the one I was most looking forward to trying. The descriptions of a patchouli scent along with wet earth and delicate rose appealed to me as I have longed for a fragrance with those notes for so long. I'm afraid that it was a little underwhelming. It has a very nice delicate patchouli scent but nothing more. No rose or wet soil for me, I was so disappointed. I thought I had found the ultimate scent for me but unfortunately it wasn't to be. It is a nice fragrance but I will go neutral on this for its failure to deliver.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I think this fragrance is aimed at very young men. It reminds me of those sporty deodorants that you sometimes smell in gym lockers. I actually used to love this but I was only 19 at the time. I stopped using it when my then girlfriend claimed that it smelt like a "cheap boys deodorant." I had to agree but I still liked the smell. Its not unpleasant in any way and it certainly lasts a long time if you spray your chest and neck with it. Its just inelegant and really not the sort of thing I would expect Chanel to put out. I can't describe the scent very well other than to repeat my comment about sporty deodorants. I'll give it a neutral thumb as its actually unpleasant.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I really dislike this scent. On my skin it smells terrible. It has no style to it, no class at all. My wife used to like this on men and sometimes wore it herself. She was quite shocked at how awful it smelt on me. Please believe me when I say I am not ranting or taking this too far but it actually smelt a little like cat urine on me. After spraying it in a store I couldn't wait to get home to wash it off. I have smelt it on other men and it smells cleaner on them. I agree that a lot of women seem to love it on men but I can't figure out why.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I used to spend a lot of time in night clubs due to my line of work and there was once a period when all men out on the town wore this scent. The reason for this, and I know from my own experience, is that it seems to excite a lot of women. It really has a raunchy affect on some women. I say some but in fact all the women I know seem to like this on men. I can't describe it's smell very well though it seems exceptionally well put together and unique to me. Now I am sorry to be so blunt and crude but wearing this without female company on a night out screams that you're available. An ace scent though perhaps more suited to younger men, the 20 to 30 age group maybe.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

I went through several bottles of this in my early twenties. I used to really cover myself with it and must have made peoples eyes water. This scent is very, very strong and no matter how much you put on it will stand out. I liked it at the time as I am a lover of patchouli, though at that time I had no knowledge of what went in to make this scent and hadn't heard of patchouli. I cannot wear it now, its too powerful. It seems to be constantly calling out for attention and doesn't calm down to do anything interesting. On my skin I don't get the earthy scent that I find so compelling in patchouli when it calms down.

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

This is a wonderful scent. Masculine in a refined and elegant sense. I wore this during a wonderful holiday in a Scottish Baronial home and every time I smell it I am transported back there. It is definitely a scent constructed in a very different era to our own but it would be wrong to describe it as old fashioned. This is a scent for when you want to appear at your best, when you are well dressed and want to fill people with a confidence in you. I noticed that women seem to like it but in an impressed sort of manner, like they recognise its class. Its not a sexy fragrance, its a day scent for true gentlemen.

Allure Homme by Chanel

I received this as a gift, I would not have bought it for myself. It is a very inoffensive scent, the sandalwood and pepper stand out for me. The problem I have with it is that it plays it totally safe. Its impossible to have a strong opinion about this scent. It simply smells nice. I would never wear this on a night out or at a party as its just such a neutral smell. It doesn't reflect my character at all. I would wear this if I felt the need for a scent but didn't want to make a statement. These instances are very rare hence my nearly full bottle after several years of owning it.