Reviews by Cannes

Cannes's avatar
    Cannes

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

Deliciously boozy

Drinking vodka wearing a big fur coat in a coffee haus in Vienna.

Private Collection - L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale

A warm fur blanket

L'ombre fauve is warm, sensual, and erotic but not dirty. I fell in love after trying a sample from luckyscent. I dabbed a bit on my neck on a cold, winter day. When I readjusted myself at my desk at work, I got a wiff of this literal animal fur. I can cuddle up with this all day long. I find that it stays close to my skin in the summer.

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Nice.

Datura Noir is nice enough. I get the coconut and florals. It's sweet and feminine. I loved it while I was sampling it. But after I received a bottle... meh. Don't get me wrong... it's nice. Maybe a little too nice for me.

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

sample first

I blind bought Cedre. At first sniff, the tuberose made me regret my purchase. I'm not the great fan of tuberose. Plus I didn't get any of the cedar and it smelled dated to me. But I refused to give up. I kept wearing it... trying it again and again in different weather. In the winter, I get a lot more cedar. But what I love most about this and why I've rated it so high, is the dry down. After a 5-6 hours, I get the ceder, amber, and spice. It's a lot more "me" then and I can finally appreciate my purchase.

Fourreau Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Paris in the winter

Oh, Fourreau Noir... how I adore you. I first smelled you in the Palais Royal on a February day along with many others. It wasn't until later that night, laying in bed, staring out my window onto a Paris street that you stole my heart. I couldn't get back to the Palais Royal fast enough. And, alas, you were mine! I wear you in the winter and in the summer. I absolutely love your smokey lavender mixed with sweet vanilla amber. You stay with me all day. Reminding why I fell in love with you that winter day in Paris.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Dry Desert Wind.

Chergui was my first Serge Lutens. After using up my sample, I had to have it. It's a warm dry wind enveloping you...like a cashmere sweater.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Dry and Dirty Amber

I love ambers so I didn't feel I was taking a huge risk blind buying Amber Sultan. Initially, it's all amber to me. But after a few hours, it turns drier, sweatier, and dirtier...perfect for nighttime activities.

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Politely sexy. Incredibly complex.

I purchased Douce Amere without ever trying it on myself. My husband and I were in Paris and I sprayed some on him and immediately fell in love...more so on my husband than myself. But I still can't help but spray myself every once in a while when I'm seeking something less sweet than my usual ambers. I Find Douce Amere incredibly complex and sexy.

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Year round love affair

I discovered Fleur d'oranger on a cold Chicago winter day. The kind of winter day that freezes everything in sight. I sprayed a tiny bit on my wrist and went about my day. Right off the bat, I got a ton of jasmine. A flower I don't fully appreciate or am drawn to. The next day, I slipped on the same jacket. And as I drew my hand up to my face, a warm feeling enveloped me. I quickly realized it was the fleur d'oranger from the previous day. The temperature outside was at around 10 degrees Fahrenheit but I felt like I was on the Amalfi coast in august. What a beautiful scent in the winter and just as gorgeous in the summer.

Pros: longevity
    Cons:

23 September, 2013