Reviews by blood-orange

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

A Scent by Issey Miyake

A Scent by Issey Miyake is possibly one of the most intriguing and dislikable fragrances I've ever come across.

There are certain scents that remind me of my childhood and the opening of this fragrance certainly takes me there. Although nostalgic, I would prefer not to wear it on my skin.

Fellow Australians will perhaps recall the scent of dry grass in the Summer and dandelions, those pretty yellow flowers that seem to pop up in places where you least expect. When I was little I would lie amongst these bitter smelling flowers, and this is exactly what A Scent by Issey Miyake smells like. Dry grass and bitter dandelions.

Of course the scent does develop beyond this intial bitterness into something quite fresh and lemony. However the drydown reminds me of a shiny, metallic kitchen sink, recently scrubbed until it shone using lemon-scented cleaning solutions.

Disregarding the connections I made through smelling this to both the backyard and the inside of my home, A Scent by Issey Miyake could be described as a green aquatic. Grassy, metallic, salty scents don't appeal to my taste, however I don't doubt that some people will enjoy this fragrance's unique qualities.

Acqua di Giò by Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Gio is a very intriguing scent and I can't believe I haven't tried this before now.

It's a little bit aquatic, extremely fresh and revitalising, unique and Summery.

Acqua di Gio isn't all fruits, in fact the heart of this fragrance is quite possibly one of the nicest floral blends you will ever discover.

The opening has just the right amount of sillage. The peony, pineapple, musky vodka, lemon and peach are light and shampoo-like. My favourite aspect of Acqua di Gio is the heart of course, which is a beautiful blend of white florals and banana leaf.

This fragrance reminds me of an Avon shampoo that I owned as a child. I used to wash my Barbie doll's hair with it, so this fragrance takes me back to my girlhood. I'll agree with the other reviewers that described Acqua di Gio as being a 'straight out of the shower' kind of scent. It is indeed very clean and fresh.

There isn't many scents to compare to Acqua di Gio. It's one of a kind. I highly recommend.

Envy by Gucci

I don't usually like fresh, green scents, however in this situation I really enjoyed wearing Envy.

Upon first application, Envy is very green and quite refreshing. The fruits balance themselves out nicely along with the magnolia and freesia. Thankfully pineapple is a subtle note here, because with most perfumes pineapple likes to rear its ugly head and cause me to dislike a scent.

As the fragrance settles on the skin it becomes increasingly grassy, but not sharp like Chanel No.19. Envy is tame and polite, it doesn't like to make a loud, obtrusive statement.

Envy feels very modern for its time. Its slight metallic-like quality captivates me. Although Envy is something that I probably wouldn't wear, I am very intrigued by it. Envy fascinated me from the very beginning to the very end.

The lasting strength is average, if not a little better than average. Like I mentioned before this isn't a particularly strong scent, so I'd say it is fairly intimate. A green floral that I do surprisingly recommend.

Poême by Lancôme

Poeme is a heavy, syrupy sweet white floral, and I absolutely love it!

I can't stop smelling this one. It's a bit like Dior's Poison but much lighter, not as dark and more casual.

I sense a lot of plum, tuberose, jasmine, orange blossom, vanilla, tonka bean and mimose in this fragrance. The white florals are quite honeyed. I picture Poeme as a thick liquid, trickling off my skin, it is in no way light, this fragrance is thick and intense.

It has a definite oriental feel, which makes me conclude that this is an oriental floral with class. Seeming that the opening is rather strong, it's probably best to apply this fragrance lightly or spray the scent into the air and walk through it. It could easily become headache-inducing and cloying if over-applied.

The scent lasts for ages which is really wonderful. Poeme appeals to me because I like fragrances of this nature, however for people that tend to dislike strong, heavy florals with a classic feel, this probably isn't for you.

Hugo Pure Purple by Hugo Boss

Pure Purple is more of a gourmand to my nose, not so much a fruity floral in my humble opinion.

This fragrance is indeed delicate and sweet, but not in a sickening way. When first applied, Pure Purple smells like gingerbread cookies. There are hints of sugar, ginger, spices and almond. Just sniffing it was making me hungry.

In the heart, the scent continues with its sweetness. Candied violets and white cyclamen with an overload of sugar. Nectarine makes a brief appearance right before the drydown, rather than in the top notes, however the leather overshadows the fruitiness of the scent.

The leather in Pure Purple is not like the leather in let's say Bandit by Robert Piguet. This is leather that can appeal to a younger audience; synthetic and subtle. The lasting strength is really good and the sillage not very strong but not subtle either.

I find Pure Purple to be a little different, not exactly what you'd expect from a mainstream brand. Purple doesn't seem to be the right colour for this scent. I'm thinking a reddish brown or even black would compliment this fragrance better.

Hugo Woman by Hugo Boss

I'm obviously one of the minority here that agrees with this fragrance being a fruity floral.

Hugo Woman is crisp, fruity and only mildly floral to my nose. I found that this fragrance took a while to grow on me. At first I didn't like its sharpness in the opening, however giving it an hour to develop, I must say that I quite like it.

The scent is pretty strong, but never cloying. Hugo Woman smells like apple puree and tropical fruit juice. The crisp green apple note is for me the most dominant note in this fragrance, followed by black currant, melon and papaya.

The presence of the vanilla towards the drydown, keeps the scent from becoming too fruity and sharp. The vanilla adds a nice feminine and sweet touch, which makes Hugo Woman quite delicious.

I don't think this is the right fragrance to make a statement like the adverstising seems to suggest. Although inoffensive and pleasant, I don't find it to be particularly unique in any way. Just a nice, casual fragrance which would make a good staple in someone's wardrobe.

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

This fragrance is what I'd call a peachy floral. It's quite airy and fresh, and in my opinion, something that not many people will expect from a 40's fragrance.

L'Air du Temps has a strange opening. I can only describe the top notes as having a very strong soapy smell, which isn't very clean, refreshing or appealing. For a moment I wondered why this was such a popular scent.

Then came the array of florals and spicy notes, supplanting the reason why L'Air du Temps is still on the shelves. Peach, rose and carnation are very dominant here. They give off a rich and distinctive smell which is only complimented by the subtle hints of clove and rosemary.

Heading towards the drydown, L'Air du Temps becomes increasingly powdery and warm. The spices become much stronger as the vetiver note commands attention. On my skin the drydown is quite sweet, however on paper the scent can be quite loud and harsh.

The lasting strength is brilliant. It lasted all day and even after a long shower. I don't think this scent will appeal to everyone, so it's best to try before buying. However, I have a lot of time for this scent. It is unfortunate that I cannot try L'Air du Temps prior to its reformulation.

Eau Dynamisante by Clarins

A very aromatic and sensual fragrance. Eau Dynamisante took me by surprise.

I always avoided trying the Clarins range because of the bottles which looked like they contained makeup remover or toner fluid rather than perfume. What shocked me was the high quality of this fragrance.

This fragrance is fresh, spicy and woodsy, perfect for wear in the warmer months.

The opening that consists of lively citrus and herbaceous coriander and caraway, blends together beautifully. During the drydown, before the big patchouli finale, I hinted something that smelt rather like Indian cuisine, rich and spicy.

Patchouli is what rounds off Eau Dynamisante. The patchouli is very appealing to my nose as it has a slightly musty feel to it and it lasts on the skin for ages.

I really love the way in which Eau Dynamisante transforms from a bright and lively citrus scent to a rich, spicy, earthy and musty patchouli. This is a scent that transcends beyond being unique and ventures into a world where a fragrance can be many scents all in one.

Happy Heart by Clinique

Happy Heart is basic yet pretty.

This fragrance doesn't make me jump up and down for joy or do somersaults across the room, however I do feel much happier when wearing it.

Happy Heart is a light fruity floral which has a tendency to be clean and slightly soapy, but not overly so. It has some similarities to Happy, also by Clinique, however this fragrance isn't as citrusy.

The cucumber in the top notes adds a unique, cool watery freshness that I really enjoy. Cassia also adds a nice spicy subtlety which is reminiscent of most Clinique fragrances.

I found the note of carrot to also be surprisingly good and far from the predictable path that Clinique could have chosen. It was unfortunate that this fragrance just didn't agree with my skin chemistry. I would have considered it if it did.

Ô Oui! by Lancôme

Nice, but not for me.

I rather enjoyed the opening of O Oui! which was fresh, slightly boozy (in regards to the vodka note) and pleasantly aquatic.

Unfortunately I found the heart a little unbearable. The pineapple and apple notes were far too dominant, crisp and sour. Just looking at the notes listed in the heart, I cringe thinking of how such strong, definitive notes could ever make an agreeable blend.

Once this has subsided, O Oui! becomes dusty and old-smelling. My Grandmother's house smells like this, and although the scent for me is nostalgic, I'd prefer not to have it on my skin.

The lasting power is not bad, bearing well in hot weather. I advise people to test this first before buying.

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

This fragrance is absolutely wonderful. Superb in fact.

I had chosen the perfect day to test O de Lancome. A rather humid Summer day in the centre of a busy and steamy city.

I must say that at first the citrus notes came on quite strongly. It was very green and lemony. Although not entirely unpleasant, I was expecting the worst seeming that these fragrances don't seem to agree with my chemistry or my nose very often. I was about to write this scent off the list when I brought my wrist up to my nose for another sniff.

I was met with a delightful, fresh and cheerful blend of honeysuckle, various herbs/spices, jasmine and mild citrus notes. On my skin the heart and drydown was soft, slightly soapy, musky and feminine.

I can't say that I understand the masculine references here. To me O de Lancome is girly and somewhat sweet, in other words something I can't imagine a man wearing.

I had no idea that this was a fragrance from the 70's, it is very modern and could easily pass as something being produced today. The lasting power is average, around 7 hours. I do recommend this.

Pleasures Exotic by Estée Lauder

Tropical. That's one way to describe Pleasures Exotic. Sharp, acidic and synthetic, are three others.

I was not surprised when I saw grapefruit listed as a note, (I'm not a fan of it). Pleasures Exotic smells too much like a fruity beverage, very juicy and rich, yet not something I particularly want to wear.

This fragrance has a very strange edge to it. The fruity opening is far too strong and sharp, and the hibiscus, peony, cassia and litchi far too prominent. I sense a shampoo/soapy aspect which doesn't blend too well with the dominant fruits. One minute it's fresh like just stepping out of the shower, the next minute I'm on a beach with tropical juice spilt all down my front.

A majority of the time, Pleasures Exotic makes me nauseous. I don't know what it is, but this fragrance really isn't for me.

Joop! Femme by Joop!

Behind this boring, uneventful looking bottle lies a fragrance so captivating and beautiful that you'll wonder how Joop! managed to advertise this fragrance so poorly.

This is a floral based scent, and a rich one at that. Creamy and somewhat mysterious, Joop! Femme is everything a scent should be.

Strong in the opening, the aldehydes and coriander create a powdery and slightly spicy scent which is complimented by the subtle citrus and fruity notes.

The heart of this fragrance gives way to luxury. My nose was met with delightful musky and powdery florals, the jasmine being most dominant. I do believe that white floral lovers will enjoy this fragrance whole heartedly.

There is a strange yet likable smokiness which lingers throughout this fragrance's composition. I really enjoy this aspect however I'm not certain as to what note brings it about.

The base notes are beautiful. The tonka bean, patchouli, vanilla, cedar and civet make a very pleasant and intriguing olfactory experience.

You don't need to spray much of this to make it last. The lasting strength is worthy of my praise. I do recommend.

Miracle Forever by Lancôme

Miracle Forever is to me a lighter and more floral version of Innocent by Thierry Mugler.

The scent is indeed very sweet. It would appeal to those that love their sugary-sweet gourmands.

The opening of blackcurrant, peony and star anise is a little too strong, however very pleasant. As the scent wears on, it gradually becomes lighter and more feminine with the introduction of soft florals like mimose, almond blossom, heliotrope and lily-of-the-valley.

The drydown is what bears a striking resemblance to Thierry Mugler's creations. The vanilla, patchouli, amber and incense, together with a hidden chocolatey accord, is very much like the famous gourmand, Angel. A little off-putting to think of Miracle Forever as a blatant copy.

The lasting strength was pretty good, well over six hours, yet the sillage was rather weak. However this fragrance may be a wonderful, cheaper alternative to Innocent and Angel and even more appealing to those that wanted something lighter than the two fragrances aforementioned.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

I love strong florals, even the headache-inducing, overpoweringly heavy ones. I assumed that I would enjoy this classic fragrance, however this was not so.

When I first sprayed Tresor I had to smell my wrist a couple of times in order to clarify that it was perfume that I was actually smelling. It smelt like decay to me. Rotting fruit, wet sand, stale sweat and mothballs. I will add however that this was from an EDT tester bottle, so the EDP may be a lot nicer. This review may also be on one of the Tresor versions, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Needless to say, I was shocked by what I encountered. A tinge of sweetness later on only made this fragrance more nauseating. Something tells me that this has to be a different perfume, perhaps even an off bottle. I cannot understand why anyone would want to wear it.

In conclusion, thankfully, it's lasting power was very poor.

Siren by Paris Hilton

Firstly, this is an incredibly ugly bottle. It doesn't look modern at all, it sort of reminds me of the bottles of cheap, unknown brand fragrances of the mid 90's.

Casting aside my opinions on the bottle design, the scent itself is not any more impressive. It's true, Paris Hilton fragrances just seem to be cheap knock-off versions of popular, big brand scents.

Showing many similarities to Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture, these Paris Hilton fragrances just embarass me for trying them in the first place. However I must say that I did actually like Viva La Juicy, whereas this cheaper version is almost repulsive.

My own father described Siren well, "Did she bottle her own piss?"

I can't see how Paris Hilton could put her name to this strong, sickly sweet, fruity and at some times bitter fragrance.

Madness by Chopard

Madness represents my childhood in lots of ways. Not in the mad aspect but from the way it smells.

From the first spray on the skin this fragrance was strong and fruity. I sensed strong candied raspberry, even though it is not listed here. I was always one of those strange kids that loved raspberry cordial with only a small amount of water. I hated heavily diluted cordial. Madness is that rich, syrupy red, raspberry flavoured cordial. It smells just like it.

I can understand that for some people this is sickly, but to me this is rich and sweet, the way I like it. Slightly masculine, but feminine and elegant at the same time, Madness can be rather conflicting.

The heart of rose and hibiscus reminds me of my mother's garden before she pulled them out and replaced them with a cactus garden. I used to take the petals and mash them up in a bowl of hot water to make what I called "flower soup" as a child.

The drydown which is mostly fairyfloss, I'm sure is a smell that most people remember as a child. The woodsy notes that compliment the sugary sweet fairyfloss makes me think of a Circus. The smell of sawdust and candy polluting the air.

A strange fragrance it certainly is, but a lovely one at that. For me the experience is entirely personal, but for others you may find other similarities to your childhood and if you don't you may just like Madness simply because of the composition. Either way I recommend.

Mandarina Duck by Mandarina Duck

Mandarina Duck is in my opinion, a rather cute scent.

First off I swear I can smell lemon, however it's not a sour representation, it's more of a candied lemon scent. Blended with the freesia, bergamot and subtle notes of pepper, this is a very cheerful and Summery opening.

Although quite basic, and in some ways linear, Mandarina Duck is enjoyable and well-priced. The heart of honeysuckle, jasmine and gardenia was indeed sweet and in some ways predictable, yet I do unashamedly admit that I enjoy this fragrance despite it being generic and cheap.

The soft musky drydown was a wonderful way to conclude this fragrance in my opinion. Because Mandarina Duck is light, inoffensive, generally safe and basic, I must recommend this fragrance for young girls that are only just starting out in the perfume world. Young adolescents are the first people that come to mind when I smell this scent.

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

DKNY Red Delicious is deliciously boozy.

This fragrance had the potential to be fresh and Summery, especially with the presence of apple and bergamot, however I'm rather glad that this fragrance is the complete opposite of fresh.

Red Delicious is rich, spicy and warm. This is the scent for a wild man, something that really appeals to me. The booziness originates from the rum and cognac notes, yet the spicyness from the patchouli, saffron and cardamom balances the scent out nicely.

Added notes of coffee and floral components such as iris, orchid and mandarin blossom makes for one very unique fragrance. This is certainly masculine however a daring woman wearing this fragrance is not out of the question.

I only half-heartedly agree that this is an aquatic, it does have slight watery notes, but it is nowhere near as fresh as most aquatic fragrances. The best seasons for DKNY Red Delicious would be Autumn and Spring and perhaps even Winter.

Oscar by Oscar de la Renta

I expected Oscar to be quite rich and heady however this fragrance is refreshing and somewhat soapy.

I can't say whether I like it or not, its complexity and overwhelming freshness has me a little confused.

I think it may be the blend of white florals (which I adore), mixed in with the herbaceous notes of coriander, basil, rosemary, lavendar and patchouli that appears to be shocking to my nose. However, don't get me wrong, this is a pleasant scent, just something that I'm not particularly used to.

After the rather green and strong opening, Oscar develops into something quite powdery and soft, which is certainly appealing. I can now see why Oscar is hailed as a classic.

I must make it known that this fragrance has amazing lasting strength, and I mean amazing. I could smell this on me even after a shower at the end of the day when I had first applied it in the morning.

Despite the fact that this fragrance isn't my cup of tea, I certainly recommend this scent. Very lady-like in my opinion.

Flower Princess by Vera

Sure, Flower Princess is pretty, but it doesn't seem to evolve much further than that.

May I ask, but where are the fruits? All I get is a rather bland, predictable, soft floral blend, which honestly is far too musky for my liking.

I'll admit that the bottle, packaging and advertising doesn't suggest that Flower Princess is anything more than pretty and charming. My craving for something bold and unique comes from my frustration with this scent. I wanted memorable but after a few minutes I couldn't remember how this smelt. Aren't Vera Wang scents meant to compliment a bride on her wedding day? On my wedding day I hope to wear something that will make me stand out in a crowd, not blend in with one.

After getting all that off my chest and reflecting back on the scent itself, Flower Princess is still pleasant and undeniably feminine. I can't disregard the fact that some people prefer soft and transparent scents to loud ones. So because of that observation I will recommend Flower Princess to those that like soft, basic florals.

Iceberg (new) by Iceberg

I'll start off by saying that I love the bottle. It's fantastic to read the notes listed on the bottle while experiencing the scent itself.

I find Iceberg to be a little confusing to my nose. It's a strange, yet likable mixture of sweet and spicy. All at once you can sense the pear, vanilla, mimose, almond, violet and pistachio flavoured icecream conflicting with the coriander, pink pepper, patchouli and suede notes.

The overall composition is both a shock to the senses and a pleasant olfactory experience. It is certainly different, really not something I expected.

Seeming that I love my sweet scents and the occasional spicy one, Iceberg fits me nicely. However I'd be interested to see the reactions of people that like one fragrance genre yet not the other in relation to this scent. I can imagine that some may be repulsed.

Either way it's definitely worth a try. I'll also add that both the sillage and lasting strength were commendable.

Innocent Illusion by Thierry Mugler

While Thierry Mugler has proved to be quite masterful in creating rich gourmands and oriental vanilla scents, it is nice to see that his fruit-based offerings are also beautifully crafted.

Innocent Illusion is in no way unique, so don't expect to be blown over backwards. However, with that being said, this fragrance is extremely pleasant and somewhat alluring. The scent is soft and clean, due to the fact that most of its notes are presented in a subtle, delicate way.

The praline note is most likely the lightest and hardest ingredient to detect. Don't expect any rich, sugary gourmand experience here, Innocent Illusion is nothing like Angel. The best way I can describe this fragrance is a fruity musk with a touch of sweetness.

Unfortunately the lasting power is fairly average, something that you rarely face with Thierry Mugler scents. Despite the lasting power being Innocent Illusion's downfall, I'd still recommend this fragrance without hesitation.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I can't say the word wonderful enough when it comes to describing this amazing Jean Paul Gaultier creation.

I don't know where these so-called 'homosexual' and 'metrosexual' terminologies come from. I'm not one for throwing a fragrance into a particular category, Le Male can be either masculine or sweet with a feministic touch, it all depends on how you interpret the scent.

Because vanilla and musk are dominant notes in this fragrance, I can see why some men might think that this lacks masculinity. Let me assure you that when worn by the right man this has all the potential to make me swoon.

Le Male is sweet yet refreshing at the same time. Some have noted an almost soapy and powdery quality, which is certainly there, however I quite like it. I particularly love that for a fragrance which is so popular, it is so unique, one of a kind.

The lasting strength, is honestly, out of this world. It has the ability to last and last. I must add that I rather like the bottle. I like its bold and straight-forward design. It's beyond me to understand why someone would be ashamed of displaying it.

Heiress by Paris Hilton

Heiress really isn't that bad, however it is very sweet. If you enjoy such fragrances like Kylie Minogue's Showtime, Britney Spears' Fantasy and Aquolina's Pink Sugar, then this fragrance may appeal to you seeming that it is made in the same vein.

The fruity opening was quite synthetic and sugary, the scent very similar to a fruit-flavoured popsicle. My initial response to this sweet opening was that it was most likely aimed at younger consumers, it has a very youthful and flirtatious feel.

The scent is rather linear, the floral notes are only very subtle and the fragrance has a clean, almost shampoo like quality. Can't say that I got any champagne notes in Heiress, it was more like those watered down, orange-flavoured vodka beverages if anything alcoholic.

Everything from the scent to the glittery pink bottle, makes me think of Barbie. I feel that for somebody like me, Heiress is a little childish. However I do recommend this to young girls that are going through the phase where they'll love anything sweet and gooey.

Just Me by Paris Hilton

This fragrance is a really basic fruity floral and a blantant rip-off of Miracle by Lancome.

Although I don't like Miracle, I must say that it smells much nicer than Just Me. This fragrance is very strong and synthetic, especially in the opening which is made up of weird plasticy raspberry and bergamot and overly strong peppers. It was a shock to my nose.

After the spicy opening, Just Me develops into a predictable soapy/shampoo like floral blend. It may smell passable if applied to the hair, but on the skin, Just Me smells like you've rubbed shower gel all over you and forgot to wash it off.

The lasting strength is actually quite good, it lasted a fair while on my skin. Unfortunately I just can't imagine anyone wearing this. Even my thirteen year old cousin who loves Paris Hilton, hated this. I think this fragrance really has to be loved in order to be bought.

Organza by Givenchy

I liked Organza at first. Initially it was quite sweet yet spicy at the same time. The combination was something that I really enjoyed.

The opening was a delicate mix of sugary white florals, spicy nutmeg and zesty bergamot. I loved the richness of Organza, it was elegant and sophisticated.

I enjoyed the scent even into the heart which was mostly soft, pretty florals; honeysuckle, tuberose, jasmine, peony and iris. However, the drydown became nauseating to me.

Perhaps it was the vanilla note which was too syrupy and sweet for my liking. Although Organza is sweet in the beginning, the sweetness became strong and unbearable in the base notes. The woodsy notes just weren't bold enough to balance out the sweetness, so I was left with a sticky concoction on my wrist. I was not pleased at all.

It was such a pity, seeming that I had loved Organza right up until that point. However, looking at some of the reviews here, most people enjoyed this fragrance, so I'll conclude that it is just my own personal taste which turns me against this scent.

Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana

Sicily is a lovely fragrance, a one of a kind type scent and for the life of me I cannot understand why this has been discontinued.

My immediate reaction to this fragrance was that it reminded me of a banana flavoured milkshake. The scent is soft, feminine, sweet and somewhat powdery.

Sicily is flowery, but not in a predictable sense. The honeysuckle, banana and frangipani notes gives this fragrance an exotic feel which is undeniably attractive. I honestly have never smelt anything like this before.

I enjoyed every aspect of this scent. From the tropical and fruity opening, to the delicate floral blend and nutty undertones in the heart, to the musky yet soapy drydown, all parts were breath-taking. Another added bonus is the fantastic lasting strength.

Along with the signature D&G for women fragrance, this is my favourite offering from Dolce & Gabbana.

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

While I'm usually one for darker and sexy scents on a man, I really do appreciate Escape for Men.

This fragrance is very Summery and fresh. However instead of being Summery in a citrusy sense, this is more accustomed to being green, spicy and slightly aquatic.

The melon and mango notes make the scent a little sweet but the strong herbs and spices keep the scent masculine.

The eucalyptus note in Escape is rather strong, and for all those fellow Australians out there, or people who have visited our country, the scent is very much like the Aussie outback in the middle of Summer, with large stretches of land covered with Eucalyptus gums, dry brown grass and rich, fertile soil. To me this is the scent of a rugged bushman. Since I grew up in the bush, Escape is comforting and natural for me.

Also, like the female version of Escape, there is a subtle oceanic quality, rather like sea salt lingering softly in the background. Certain parts of this fragrance certainly remind me of the beach.

All in all, Escape really doesn't get the credit it deserves. Although popular, very rarely will people see the composition itself, which is exquisite. I do really love this on a man. One of my favourite Summery male scents by far.

Madison Soirée by Bond No. 9

Out of all the Bond No.9 scents I could have tried, this fragrance tempted me. This is the first and only Bond scent I've tried so far, so it was essential that Madison Soiree left me with a good first impression.

I must say that this is rather unique, the first tick of approval in my book. The scent itself though is very odd, something that took me a while to get accustomed to.

It's floral yet synthetic with a very prominent nail polish remover type smell. You'll find it hard to believe that this bold, alcoholic and plasticy scent actually appeals to me. I found it hard to believe myself.

Madison Soiree has such strange vibes, but I can't help admiring the overall composition.

The honeysuckle, jasmine and gardenia are certainly there, presented in a powdery-like form which is both soft and feminine. However the strong alcohol lingering in the background stops this fragrance from becoming too predictable.

Madison Soiree is not something that I can imagine myself wearing, however I would be delighted to smell it on someone that does it justice. As you would expect from a high-profile niche house, this fragrance does last. I recommend.