Reviews by blood-orange

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

Wrapped With Love by Hilary Duff

Wrapped With Love managed to disappoint me and amaze me all at the same time. While I was turned off by the typical fruity floral opening, I was impressed by the overall composition of this fragrance.

The scent starts off with a burst of sugared fruits, which is very girly and fresh. I particularly liked that the opening was sweet rather than harsh or sour. However, Wrapped With Love is one of those scents that you swear you've tried before because most fragrances smell rather similar, (Diamonds by Giorgio Armani being an example).

Unfortunately, like most fruity florals, the heart of this scent didn't blend well with my skin chemistry and ended up smelling strong and citrusy. However on paper, the heart is soft and feminine.

The drydown was something I was really looking forward to smelling. I was glad that I was able to smell the white chocolate and raspberry notes although they weren't all that prominent. The drydown did however work better with my skin chemistry, giving me a rest from the overpowering lemon note on my wrist.

Wrapped With Love, in my humble opinion, is far more favourable than her previous fragrance, With Love. This scent seems to match the age group they are marketing this fragrance towards, meaning this is definitely a perfume for the teen crowd.

Overall, this was an enjoyable scent with better than average lasting strength. I would recommend this fragrance as being something fruity, tropical and sweet, which will definitely appeal to teenage girls.

L'Eau par Kenzo by Kenzo

I'm actually finding it difficult reviewing this fragrance because I haven't had much experience with aquatic scents in the past. From what I've tried of aquatic fragrances, I have disliked, but today I have concluded that L'eau par Kenzo may have just changed my mind.

I'll start by saying that this fragrance is quite complex and unique. It has a somewhat crisp, fizzy, citrusy smell that is rather energising but also strange. I'm testing this fragrance in the Winter months, which doesn't really do this scent justice. I would recommend this fragrance as a Summer/Spring scent only.

Like most of the perfumes I've been trying as of late, L'eau par Kenzo is refreshing and clean smelling. It's a fragrance that finds it difficult to offend.

This fragrance is oddly sweet yet sour in the opening. The blend of unique flowers and the vanilla in the base, gives this scent a comforting and feminine quality. I actually sense a melon and pear note in this fragrance, and was rather surprised when they weren't listed as one of the ingredients.

Overall, this is a fragrance that is hard not to like. I am eager to test this in the Summer to determine whether or not I'll be purchasing a full bottle.

212 by Carolina Herrera

I really, really like this fragrance. Surprising, because I never expected to.

It's slightly fruity, it's fresh and it's powdery. Three qualities that I usually detest in fragrances, however this scent is bliss for me.

I actually adore the cactus note, strangely enough. I suppose it is to be expected seeming that my mother collects many rare and interesting cacti for her garden. I'm practically surrounded by the scent of cactus whenever I go home, so perhaps this scent sparks sentimental value for me.

Apart from the cactus note, I also sense the mandarin orange and orange blossom notes which are subtle yet divine. The floral notes which make their first appearance after the initial 10 minutes, are quite powdery and strange, not at all what you'd expect. The flowers are somewhat plastic and artificial smelling, however I believe it only adds to this fragrance's appeal.

The sillage is actually quite strong, which surprised me because most scents of this nature are soft and intimate. The lasting power is also fabulous.

I would recommend 212 as a unique Spring/Summer fragrance for women that long to stand out in a crowd.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

When you first smell Flower by Kenzo you will most likely recognize the scent as something that you're familiar with because you have at least known one person that wears this fragrance.

This perfume is quite distinctive. It's not an overly unique or ground-breaking scent, rather it is a safe clean-smelling, powdery floral.

I'll be honest and say that I hated this fragrance when I first sprayed it. It was strong, bitter and not at all flowery and sweet like I'd imagined it to be.

It took some time for those top notes to disappear, but when they eventually did, I came to like this scent a little better. The violets are surprisingly the strongest and most dominant note throughout this composition, however they are powdery and slightly synthetic.

Overall, I don't mind the freshness and subtlety that Flower by Kenzo creates, but I'm really not crazy about this scent. To me it's just a common soapy/clean fragrance that hasn't pushed too many boundaries.

D&G Feminine by Dolce & Gabbana

When I tried this fragrance for the first time I was highly impressed, so excited with my find that I somehow managed to spray my face with the tester, (at least my face smelt nice).

D&G Feminine is a soft and clean type of scent which manages to combine a certain sweetness, creating a unique and interesting fragrance. I believe the opening is what people call a white musk.

I don't sense the mandarin orange in this fragrance at all, I get mostly an array of floral notes, which are beautifully blended I might add. D&G Feminine is actually the first 'clean' fragrance that I've been ecstatic over.

The drydown is the one thing that stops me from buying this fragrance. Although still a lovely scent, the musk becomes very dominant and artificial smelling, reminding me of my grandmother's house, (possibly the smell of mothballs). The sweetness completely disappears, and in my opinion, the scent loses its personality.

The lasting power is quite astounding for an EDT, lasting most of the day.

For wearers that don't mind the drydown, D&G Feminine would make an excellent 'go-to fragrance', even a great signature scent.

cK one by Calvin Klein

What a fantastic, versatile and popular scent. CK One is a fragrance that deserves its massive success.

CK One is fresh, clean and definitely unisex. It's a sweet, citrusy and masculine fragrance, which together create a scent which can suit both men and women.

This fragrance opens with the citruses and fruits, however they are not a sour or strong combination, instead they are subtle and pleasant. While wearing this fragrance you can not help feeling refreshed and clean, almost as if you've just stepped out of the shower.

I rather enjoy CK One's soapy and citrusy scent, which is rare seeming that I usually dislike scents of this nature. I have concluded that it is because this fragrance is light, that I am more drawn to it. Had CK One been overpowering it would have made me nauseous.

Wish by Chopard

I was aware that Wish had some similarities to Angel by Thierry Mugler prior to testing, yet I wasn't quite prepared for how similar they actually are.

When I first applied Wish to my wrist it seriously messed with my head. I had to keep reminding myself that it was Wish that I was smelling and not Angel.

Once you get past the initial ten minutes, Wish starts to show some signs of individuality. The heart of this scent is much softer and sweeter than Angel, and dare I say, more enjoyable. It has a slight powdery softness with hints of fruit, (possibly the strawberry note). Very feminine and sweet.

Just when I started admiring this scent, the vanilla, patchouli and caramel notes emerged reminding me of another fragrance, Miss Dior Cherie, only a lighter version of that scent.

The lack of originality started to turn me off this fragrance very quickly. It's almost like Chopard has tried to create a scent that feeds off the success of both Angel and Miss Dior Cherie.

I'd say for lovers of both of those scents I mentioned above, purchase Wish because that way you'll get two fragrances in one. However, for fragrance lovers looking for something that little bit different, try looking somewhere else.

Happy Spirit by Chopard

I was really looking forward to testing this fragrance when I read all the positive reviews saying that this was a nice floral. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed when I got around to testing it.

I'm not a big fan of fruity florals. Happy Spirit to me is more of a fruity floral rather than a floral fragrance.

The scent opens with the orange and raspberry notes, which together blend nicely but smell somewhat synthetic and overly sweet. This is typical of most fragrances on the market today which use raspberry as their ingredient. They tend to aim for the sweet, candy-like raspberry scent rather than the raw, actual fruit.

The fragrance mellows slightly with the introduction of the honeysuckle and osmanthus notes, however I think this scent is a little too simple, a few more floral notes may have smoothed this fragrance out nicely.

The drydown isn't bad, however it too could do with some more complexity. The cashmere wood note I find doesn't blend well with my skin chemistry and ends up smelling a little like play-doh on my skin.

Overall, Happy Spirit is a pleasant and girly scent, which obviously appeals to some, but is far too boring for me.

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

I quite often underestimate fragrances before I try them based purely upon how much they're selling for. In recent years, this fragrance has been selling for next to nothing in a majority of stores, so I've always assumed that Chloe Narcisse was a so-so fragrance. I was certainly wrong in that opinion.

Chloe Narcisse starts out as quite a strong yet unique floral. Although the opening notes nearly sent me flying backwards I couldn't help liking the scent. It's like a rich and intense burst of warm honey, marigolds, pineapple and orange blossom. A strange mixture, yet a likable one.

The heart of this fragrance however, is my favourite part. The scent softens and becomes a beautiful blend of flowers, like walking through a garden in the Spring when all the flowers are in bloom. You can smell roses, jasmine, gardenia and carnations all mixed together like an exquisite bouquet.

The drydown is also wonderful with its vanilla and woodsy notes blended perfectly, creating an enjoyable end to this incredibly long-lasting fragrance.

I know that this fragrance may not be for everyone because it is indeed very intense, flowery and sweet, however for the inexpensive price it is certainly worth trying. I'm not surprised that men find Chloe Narcisse to be very sexy and alluring, I myself agree entirely. This fragrance, when worn in moderation, has the ability to make the biggest of tomboys feel feminine, sensual and pretty. Definitely a must try.

Noa by Cacharel

I have been eager to try Noa for quite some time now, so when I finally spied this fragrance in the shop, it was quite difficult to control my excitement. I was like a child let loose in a candy shop.

My initial response to Noa was that it smelt quite fresh and delicate. Like a good bar of soap or the smell of wet hair just after you've washed it was how Noa smelt to me.

The scent actually didn't change dramatically since those first few seconds. It remained clean, soft and pretty.

Noa certainly isn't a loud and offensive scent, it's rather quiet and unobtrusive. I liked the fragrance, however I couldn't help craving a certain kick or a hint of something slightly different to break this fragrance's silence.

Hours later I got what I was looking for, a waft of a coffee note drifting up from my wrist to my nose. Noa suddenly became a mug of hot coffee with frothy milk breaking the surface. It was the warmth that I desired.

It is the loveliness and subtlety which is part of Noa's widespread appeal. The scent is pleasant and tame, perfect for the fragrance wearer that doesn't want their perfume choice to be the talk of the town. Noa blends in well with any occasion or situation.

If you love the smell of your skin the moment you step out of the shower or the scent of warm milk and cream, this fragrance is definitely for you.

In Control Curious by Britney Spears

I have quite often stated that this fragrance is the one scent that I do not like from Britney's fragrance line, however since trying it again, my opinions have somewhat changed.

Although I will not be adding In Control: Curious to my existing Britney collection, I do appreciate this scent.

The fragrance opens with a rich, slightly sweet, cake-like scent. It reminds me of those exquisite Italian cakes that you buy fresh from the bakery, with the cream oozing from the middle and the aroma of the chocolatey goodness and the strong liquer filling the room.

Seconds later you are met with a fruity punch, almost like a bowl of fruit salad. The fruits are there throughout the drydown with subtle hints of vanilla and caramel every now and then.

This fragrance isn't soft and light like Curious, and definitely not as sweet as Fantasy. It's somewhere in between.

It's a somewhat mysterious fragrance, however I wouldn't call it sexy. Flirtatious in nature and incredibly girly, I can see this fragrance appealing to many. In Control: Curious, like her other fragrance Believe, can be worn by any woman of any age, it's versatile enough to do so.

I'm not sure what it is that stops me from falling in love with this fragrance, I think it might have something to do with its dominant fruity notes not blending well with my skin chemistry. With that being said, it's hard not to be impressed by Britney's fragrance line. She has put her name to many great and popular scents, this fragrance not being an exception

Boucheron by Boucheron

The previous reviews that highly praise this scent are definitely written by people with excellent taste in fragrances.

Boucheron is a scent which defines sophistication, elegance and class. A rich, unmissable fragrance that doesn't have the popularity that it deserves.

I spent many months searching for this particular fragrance, and only managed to find the EDT concentration in an exclusive fragrance boutique. I was highly impressed by the EDT, and when I read that the EDP is even more impressive, I can't help being dumbfounded by this scent.

Boucheron is everything that a fragrance should be; complex, unique, intense and memorable. This fragrance has been created with the upmost care, blended beautifully, resulting in a rich, warm and feminine scent.

The top notes are not your typical nose-burning citruses and fruits, they have all been blended perfectly creating a scent that is inviting and interesting. Vanilla makes it's presence known right from the very beginning. It's the combination of the vanilla mixed with the lemon, orange and basil and then with the floral accords in the heart of this scent, that fascinates me in so many ways.

In no way is this fragrance dusty and 'old-smelling'. To describe this fragrance as being suited only to mature aged women is very misinformative. Any woman that loves this fragrance should be able to pull this off, it's not restricted to any age group.

Everything from the scent to the bottle is clearly elegant and sophisticated, making this scent perfect for those strict formal events and occasions. It's such a shame that this fragrance isn't more readily available in my country, although I have heard that where it is available, it sells extremely well.

Classic, Boucheron most certainly is. Expensive, but well worth the money spent. The lasting strength is guaranteed to be a highlight as it lasts well into the next day and clings to your clothes for days, managing to scent your wardrobe with its rich aroma.

I highly recommend this fragrance and advise people that have not tried this scent to "get thee to a tester immediately", this perfume is not to be missed.

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

If you're looking for a fragrance that has a dominant note of vanilla, Hypnotic Poison would be your best choice. The vanilla in this perfume is rich, foody and realistic, just like you've rubbed vanilla essence onto your skin.

I can't help feeling comforted when wearing this scent. When applied lightly, this fragrance is soft and soothing, only drifting up towards your nose to greet you with its scent every now and then.

I don't actually find this fragrance sexy, to me Hypnotic Poison is more romantic, casual almost. Its striking red bottle which suggests that its contents are indeed quite poisonous and hypnotising, doesn't seem to match the scent in my personal opinion. I'd describe Hypnotic Poison as being feminine, warm, friendly and slightly musky rather than outrageously sexy or seductive.

Apart from the obvious vanilla note, there are subtle hints of coconut, spices and almond throughout, which makes Hypnotic Poison more of a gourmand rather than an oriental vanilla.

The lasting power is great, yet I wouldn't have expected anything less from a house like Dior. This perfume is the vanilla fragrance that I've always wanted to find, it's actually the way The Body Shop's Vanilla oil should have smelt. A true vanilla scent of undeniable quality and appeal.

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

My father actually owns this, but being a 60 year old Australian male, wearing cologne is seen as being homosexual. Thank god the younger generation of Australian men think differently.

There's nothing overly unique about Oscar for men, however it is very fresh and quite likable. Very summery, in my opinion, just light enough to wear casually on a warm day.

The opening, although primarily citrus (my least favourite smell), is very masculine and refreshing. I'm not sure what it is but I really do love citrus scents worn by men, however on myself and other women, I can't say the same.

Oscar for Men is actually quite a complex and well structured fragrance. This isn't a sweet fragrance, however the notes may suggest otherwise. It's purely masculine, not a single hint of femininity, a woman could never pull this off.

Usher for Women by Usher

I love Usher as an artist, however it is his artistry in fragrances that has me slightly disappointed.

Usher She isn't a dislikable scent, it's quite fresh and distinctive, however it is the lack of imagination and creativity that went into the making of this fragrance that has me questioning why he even decided to put his name to this scent.

The first thing I noticed when I tried this fragrance was its strength. When applied to the skin Usher She becomes quite overpowering. In my personal opinion, this fragrance, (especially with the use of the apple tree blossom note), smells a lot like a knockoff version of DKNY Be Delicious that my cousin wears. It's a rather heady blend of apple, red currant, apricot and frangipani.

The heart of this fragrance does try to mellow the opening top notes with soft and feminine florals, however the scent, although much more subtle, still remains quite strong and sharp.

I was rather disappointed with the drydown. I smelt no hints of incense or orchid at all. Instead it was a soapy finish that left much to be desired.

I am yet to try UR for women, but here's hoping it smells much nicer than this.

Glow after Dark by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Glow After Dark wasn't really my cup of tea. In fact, I haven't actually warmed to any of the Glow fragrances from J.Lo, I much prefer the Live series because they have much more personality.

I didn't get much in the way of fruity notes when I first smelt this. The passionfruit was there, but it wasn't tangy and exotic like the actual fruit, instead it smelt rather synthetic and sour.

I was rather surprised that the heart of this fragrance, which was primarily beautiful floral notes, ended up smelling quite masculine. I'm guessing it was the patchouli and oakmoss trying to push its way through early on.

Seeming that I'm not usually a fan of masculine fragrances being worn by myself, this wasn't a winner for me. However, there are women out there that I don't doubt will love this scent. I guess everyone has their own personal tastes.

Emporio Armani White He by Giorgio Armani

Emporio Armani White He, is very similar to the female version, only slightly more woodsy in the drydown.

This fragrance successfully recreates a crisp, clean and refreshed feeling. The scent is quite light and 'breezy', making it suitable for younger men or even a young boy just starting out in the fragrance world.

White actually could be worn well by women. Some may actually prefer this fragrance over White She, because of the interestingly mild spicy notes in the heart of this scent.

Overall, this isn't a fragrance that has been designed to turn heads, rather it is casual and friendly, and in some ways subtly sexy.

Emporio Armani White She by Giorgio Armani

White is the perfect name for this fragrance. The colour white although basic and plain, is the symbol of innocence and peace, a shade that can be blended to create lighter colours and neutral enough to make one feel clean and secure.

This perfume for me is like a warm blanket, I feel safe and comforted by its scent. Just like stepping out of the shower, Emporio Armani White leaves you feeling refreshed and clean.

The mild citrus top notes are what initially makes you feel so revitalised. The scent is soft and subtle making it perfect for those warmer months and those casual outings.

The heart is quite interesting. For some strange reason I sense vanilla and milky notes which reminds me of Diesel Plus Plus Feminine.

The drydown is quite obviously very musky, yet in some ways it could be described as being sensual and desirable. The lasting power, in my opinion, was great. It lasted a very long time on my skin. I highly recommend.

Elle Shocking by Yves Saint Laurent

This fragrance certainly did not shock me.

It was unexciting, bland and common in my opinion. Definitely not a fragrance that lived up to all the hype surrounding it.

I wanted this fragrance to have that little bit of 'oomph', but instead it left me dissatisfied and waiting for more. The peony, ginger and mandarin notes were just a mess. I honestly would have liked to have seen more of a complexity in this fragrance, it was far too linear.

The scent remained the same from the beginning until the last few seconds of the drydown, which was fairly average, consisting of around 2 hours.

I'd probably skip this fragrance altogether and stick with the original Elle.

Tommy Hilfiger Dreaming by Tommy Hilfiger

When DKNY Red Delicious wasn't working with my skin chemistry, a sales assistant suggested Dreaming to me as a similar fragrance which might match my skin type.

Although I hate to disagree with these girls that try so hard to find you the perfect fragrance, I just couldn't find any similarities. In fact, I found it hard to smell Dreaming at all.

Several coffee beans later and the scent that is Dreaming seemed non-existant. There was the faintest hint of peach and flowers, yet I really had to inhale deeply to even smell that.

Both this fragrance and Eternity Moment by Calvin Klein take first prize for the faintest and most subtle fragrances I have ever tried. Something tells me that perhaps my nose is just incapable of smelling these scents. I do hope that they are able to be smelt by other people.

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

To be completely honest, I'm not actually sure whether I like Juicy Couture or not. Most of the time I'm fairly certain about liking or disliking something, however in this case, Juicy leaves me on the fence.

First off, this is a nice fragrance. The reason why it is popular is not a mystery to me, yet there is something about this fragrance that will have me smelling it for hours but at the same time thinking it's not all that great.

Although Juicy Couture is supposed to be a fruity floral, I consider Juicy as being more of a white floral fragrance. The tuberose, lily and rose notes are rather prominent, even in the top notes. The drydown of vanilla and caramel also leans me towards a gourmand fragrance.

I think I do like Juicy Couture, but I think the only thing that holds me back is the simple reason that it smells too similar to other floral fragrances I have tried. I may have built up a high expectation of Juicy Couture because it was so popular.

With that being said, it's still a pleasant, feminine, pretty and casual fragrance which could suit almost every season. The great lasting power is not to be dismissed and its popularity just goes to show that it's not to be ignored.

Rock Princess by Vera Wang

I was pressured by a sales assistant into trying this fragrance because she thought it would suit me. I must admit that I was actually offended that she would suggest me sweet and candy-like fragrances based purely upon my young age.

I might be 18, but this fragrance certainly does not have me hooked. It's not like it's an unpleasant fragrance, because it's not, however the older I become the more I distance myself from 'teen' scents.

Like a reviewer mentioned below, this isn't the fragrance for a rock chick. It's more suited to a young girl with a love for sweet, flirtatious and innocent smells.

It's flowery, it's sugary and it's definitely not for me.

The lasting power is so-so, however try layering it with the matching body lotion, I saw a slight improvement with the scent and the lasting strength when I layered the two.

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

When I first sprayed Delices I thought, "Yum!" It was different, deep, rich and delicious.

For once, the bottle matched the scent; an intense, red and juicy cherry. Like eating glazed cherries or chomping into a toffee apple, this fragrance gives you that same type of joy.

When I stepped out into the Wintery conditions outside of the store, this fragrance really started to blossom. The scent was so invigorating and uplifting, it would be impossible to have a bad day when wearing Delices.

I was almost convinced that I would be adding this fragrance to my wishlist, when I went to smell my wrist again and I was utterly disappointed. Delices had dried down to what could only be described as the scent of plasticine on my skin.

I'm pretty sure it's the tonka bean note that doesn't exactly agree with my chemistry at the best of times. It was such a shame seeming that I had been enjoying the fragrance right up until that point.

I can only advise that before buying you should wait it out just to make sure your chemistry suits this fragrance. Otherwise, this is a fabulous perfume with fantastic lasting power.

Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein

Secret Obsession surprised me to say the least. I really didn't expect that I would like this fragrance so much.

This fragrance is unique. Not an outstanding and ground-breaking type of unique, but certainly different and refreshing.

The scent is like a harmonious blend of woods, spices and florals. It's comforting, warm and in some ways exotic.

I consider this fragrance to be more temptingly sensual rather than outright sexy. Secret Obsession doesn't scream sex, rather it promises to be taken slowly, perhaps a dinner, a dance, a glass of champagne and a sense of anticipation. It's certainly a scent that depicts control and elegance.

The jasmine and tuberose in the heart of this fragrance, really softens the scent and makes this fragrance so feminine and enticing. Secret Obsession is certainly a more subtle and modern version of the original Obsession.

I actually find it difficult to dislike any Calvin Klein fragrance as of recently because their newest releases just seem to be getting better and better.

I'd suggest Secret Obsession to any woman and I'd be extremely surprised if they weren't as impressed as I was.

Dolly Girl by Anna Sui

I didn't have high expectations prior to testing this fragrance, and not surprisingly I wasn't blown away by this scent.

There was nothing unpleasant about it, but then again there was nothing overly wonderful about it either. Looking at all the unique and interesting notes listed, I'm wondering where all those notes were.

I could definitely not smell cinnamon or melon in the top notes, which is a damn shame, because those notes when blended with the apple and bergamot should have created something interesting. However, I was met with a scent that can only be compared to a cheap drugstore fragrance.

What is supposed to be a beautiful heart of florals, turns out to be so faint that you can hardly smell it. In fact, Dolly Girl hardly lasts at all. It's possibly one of the worst fragrances when it comes to lasting strength.

I didn't get any of the powderyness that everyone is describing here, instead I got a big jumbled mess of fruits and flowers, making it very difficult to distinguish any particular notes.

Although I find the bottle design creative, up close it looks rather cheap and tacky. Unfortunately there's nothing about Dolly Girl that I actually like. Even the name is a little ridiculous and childish.

I haven't tried the other fragrances in the Dolly Girl series, but here's hoping they are much better than the original.

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

In Australia, Pink Sugar is pretty much unheard of, so it actually took me a while to track this fragrance down.

Since testing Pink Sugar I am convinced that by living in a country where this fragrance is extremely popular may change the way one views this scent. When I smelt Pink Sugar for the very first time I was really impressed. I had expected to gag and screw up my face with displeasure, however this scent was unique and very likable.

The reviews I read prior to smelling this were not wrong in describing Pink Sugar as being sugary sweet. However, although there are some similiarities to Fantasy by Britney Spears, Pink Sugar has a much more prominent note of liquorice that creates an undoubtedly unique and intriguing blend.

The scent although a gourmand, is in no way a cheap smelling candy fragrance. There is a certain warmth and attractiveness about this fragrance that I happen to really love.

Pink Sugar smells more like a cupcake shop or a bakery rather than a candy store. If candy is what you're after I suggest you try Showtime by Kylie Minogue.

I can certainly see how this fragrance has become so popular overseas, it's a shame Australia hasn't grasped brands other than Chanel and celebrity endorsed products.

For such a unique and long lasting fragrance, Pink Sugar is definitely worth a try even if you think it might not be for you.

L'Eau D'Issey Florale by Issey Miyake

The first thing you'll notice when you try L'eau d'Issey Florale is that it's very strong. Issey Miyake tends to make a lot of fresh scents, and although these types of fragrances don't appeal to me personally, I find them relatively well-constructed.

This fragrance is perhaps more flowery and feminine than most Issey Miyake releases. I often have issues with their watery synthetic-ness. You can tell it's a Issey Miyake creation, however I find it much softer and more wearable in many ways.

The rose, peony and mandarin orange are of course the main focus in this fragrance's composition, however the opening and heart notes are rather watery, or I guess you could say, aquatic. This is definitely a Summer scent due to its clean and refreshing nature.

At times I find the scent to be a little sharp and far too bold for such warm weather, however I must add that it does settle well on the skin. The composition leaves me slightly uninspired, but somehow the simplicity tends to work.

I'm not crazy over the concept nor am I too happy to be presented with yet another L'eau d'Issey flanker, it seems like they've released far too many in the last year or so. I think L'eau d'Issey Florale is wearable but personally, it leaves me cold. I much preferred the L'eau d'Issey Noir Absolu for a floral fix.

21st May, 2011

Madison Square Park by Bond No. 9

I don't know what I was expecting from Madison Square Park, but I must admit that I'd thought it'd be a lot softer and more floral.

First things first, this fragrance hates my skin chemistry, it turns this fragrance into a sour berries and off-juice nightmare that gives me a crazy headache. Thankfully on paper it smells a hell of a lot better.

The opening is rich blueberries, not unlike John Galliano's new fragrance Parlez-Moi d'Amour. It kind of smells a little bit like an Escada release as well, especially with all those berry top notes and fizzy peach.

As the fragrance settles, a sweet and freshly mowed lawn scent comes to the fore, with a hint of roses and tulips, like you'd expect to smell in a bouquet from your lover. Unfortunately I don't get this beautiful blend on my skin.

I noted that it was quite a strong fragrance with a heck of a lot of fruits and flowers. It's a little too much for my poor little nose, although I do seem to enjoy the fresh rose note drizzled with berry syrup. I do believe that if this was applied with a light hand, it could be so much more appealing.

While I don't dislike it, I'm not a fan either. It just doesn't suit my tastes, and has presented itself as not agreeing with my chemistry, which usually suits most fragrances. I think I prefer Bond No.9's darker, more masculine offerings, like West Side for example. Please do test this fragrance before you buy.

01st May, 2011

Songes by Annick Goutal

Songes is absolutely beautiful. One whiff of this fragrance and I really fell in love.

I had started off my love for Annick Goutal fragrances when I tried Passion, which just happened to be the first perfume from her house that I tried. From then on I have been continuously impressed by her array of floral fragrances. Songes was no exception.

As you may have guessed, Songes is very flowery, sweet, feminine and pretty. While Passion is more suited to special occasions, Songes wears well as a casual or daytime scent.

The scent itself is quite bright and sugary. Imagine a bouquet of fresh jasmine and frangipani blooms sprinkled with icing sugar and you have Songes.

This fragrance actually makes me think of a wedding. Not a particular wedding, just an image of a romantic celebration, and Songes could very well be a beautiful and fitting fragrance for such a day.

This fragrance has great lasting power, so those people that assume that Annick Goutal fragrances don't last, you should think again.

I knew even before testing this fragrance, that Songes would be undeniably hard to resist. If you love white florals or sweet scents, I highly recommend.

27 April, 2011

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

I do believe that the sales assistant must have been misinformed or confused when she thought I would like Eau D'Hadrien when I had made it quite obvious that I loved my florals and had little tolerance for citrusy fragrances.

When I got home and opened up my 15ml sample of this fragrance, to put it bluntly, I was horrified.

Seeming that every cleaning solution in my house is lemon scented, this fragrance certainly doesn't remind me of happier times. Had I been born a billionairess and had someone else do my household chores perhaps my view of this fragrance would be a little different.

Also having alcohol added as an obvious component to this fragrance, only makes me think of tequila with lemon and salt, usually after five tequila shots too many.

There's no doubt in my mind that Eau D'Hadrien is more expensive and sophisticated smelling than detergent, however that still doesn't make me love it.

To me this isn't a bright, happy and uplifting fragrance, it's more sharp and rigid. Perhaps a fragrance better suited to men rather than women.

With that being said, I will be trying this on my man just to see whether the scent becomes more likable that way.

On a better note, this fragrance lasts well, I guess that's one good aspect. But unfortunately this fragrance fails in my opinion.

27 April, 2011