Reviews by blood-orange

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

Fire & Ice by Revlon

I really like this fragrance, it also sparks sentimental memories for me. My mother used to have this and I remember sneaking into her ensuite just to spray this on me before school.

I'd describe the scent as being a sweet yet spicy oriental. On the skin this fragrance is soft and rich with an added blend of vanilla, orange and spices. It's a bit like a really nice smelling incense stick.

The lasting power isn't all the great, so I purchased this perfume in a 10ml rollerball so I can chuck it in my bag and reapply throughout the day.

Fire & Ice is surprisingly one of my favourites in my collection, which goes to show that expensive fragrances aren't always the best. There will always be a place in my heart for this scent as it takes me back to the times when life was only just beginning and reminds me of my childhood home in the country.

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

This is my mother's signature scent. It's a strong, yet elegant and sophisticated rose scent.

Sure, this fragrance is mature, but not in the way that everyone makes out that it is. Red Door is quite a complex fragrance and in my opinion it does not smell like an old lady. A young person, with the right skin chemistry could quite easily wear this.

I must say that this fragrance smells amazing on my mother, many people have asked her what she's wearing and have been surprised to discover that it was something as simple and inexpensive as Red Door.

So de la Renta by Oscar de la Renta

I bought this for my mother for Christmas. I picked it up at a bargain price and I was rather pleased with myself because finding the perfect fragrance for my mother is a difficult task.

This fragrance surprisingly smells like roses. But it's not like a strong, ugly, old rose scent, instead it's blended with citrus undertones and white florals.

The opening notes of melon and gardenia are quite an interesting and unique blend. I'm not surprised that this is a classic and rather popular fragrance. I'm young, and even I enjoy wearing this on occasions. This also has great sillage and comes in such a classy and well-designed bottle.

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

At first I thought aldehydes = I won't like this fragrance, but I managed to convince myself to try this. I sprayed a small amount onto my wrist and I was quite surprised. Sure, it was powdery but there was something about it that was slightly appealing. However, a few minutes later the perfume became stronger and the aldehydes started to make me feel nauseous. When I tried to scrub this off my wrist, the task seemed almost impossible because the sillage was so strong.

I can only say that for fans of Chanel No.5, Anais Anais or soft, powdery scent lovers, this may be for you. For haters of aldehydes, stay far away from this one.

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

There must be something about the way Estee Lauder manufactures her fragrances, because there is always a distinctive note that I can detect in every one of her perfumes.

I think Pleasures is a lovely floral, everyday scent. It's just so light and pretty that it's hard not to be drawn to this fragrance. I think anyone past their teen years would smell lovely wearing this. It is in no way an "old lady scent" like some people assume it might be.

Like all Estee Lauder fragrances, Pleasures has great lasting power, so great that you can still smell the scent 24 hours after applying it. However, I think the price is a little outrageous, which is the only thing about Pleasures that bothers me. It's a nice fragrance, but not one I'm prepared to pay $120 AUD for.

Amor Amor by Cacharel

I absolutely adore this fragrance. It has such a distinctive, alluring scent. I love that it's not too citrusy and that it smells like sweet orange blended with rose, jasmine and vanilla. This perfume in some ways actually reminds me of Angel by Thierry Mugler, not sure why though. I would have added this to my collection if my best friend didn't already have it. It's her personal fragrance and because her boyfriend of 3 years gave it to her, I'll let her keep Amor Amor has her signature scent.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

I thought this was a little too overpowering and powdery for my liking. Not something that I can imagine appealing to me at any age. I wouldn't describe Anais Anais as being powdery and heavy like Chanel No.5, but rather a sourish floral scent. This however has great lasting power. I'm also not a fan of the bottle. They should have made a new bottle design since the original has been around for nearly 40 years.

Update:
    I decided to give this another try to see whether my opinions might have changed. At first spray I realised why I didn't like it, it smelt rather like the weeds that are so common in Australian fields. It was greenish and sour. However, the drydown of this fragrance which I'd previously missed was rather likable. It wasn't unique in any way, but was rather soapy, powdery and fresh. Still not my cup of tea but not as bad as I previously thought.

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

I appreciate that Jennifer Lopez wanted this perfume to smell fresh and clean, but in my opinion perfume should be about creating something that is memorable and unlike anything else. If I wanted to smell like Glow, I would go and have a shower and use my $1 soap to recreate this scent. I don't understand why celebrities like to play it safe with their fragrances, go out there and make something crazy and unique!

I find Glow to be very light and soft on the skin. The lasting power is fairly average and the scent stays very close to the skin. If you're a fan of Jennifer Lopez I'd probably skip this perfume and try some of her other fragrances.

Christina Aguilera by Christina Aguilera

I first sprayed this perfume onto a piece of card and I was rather glad I had not sprayed this onto my skin. The top notes were extremely strong and off putting, almost knocked me out. I stuffed the card into my handbag and I didn't go back to it until I got home. When I opened my bag I was wondering what perfume smelt so good, I was surprised that it was the Christina Aguilera perfume card that I previously detested.

All I can say about this perfume is that if you don't mind smelling like an extremely overpowering black currant for the first 30 minutes of wearing this perfume, then perhaps this fragrance is the one for you.

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

This is a definite improvement from Lovely. An interesting scent with a slight musky-ness about it. However it smelt very similiar to Believe by Britney Spears when mixed with my skin chemistry. I didn't get a lot of flowers in this fragrance. I found it to be a lot more spicy and oriental-like. I would have considered buying this if I didn't have Believe.

Danielle by Danielle Steel

This fragrance is plain nasty. Danielle Steel may be a talented author but she definitely does not have a good sense of smell. Synthetic, strong and nauseating. Need I say more?

Deseo by Jennifer Lopez

I really liked this perfume. It's floral and sweet without being too teeny and sickening. I can imagine this fragrance appealing to women and not just little girls. I actually find this fragrance quite sophisticated and versatile. It could blend well into any situation, whether it be a casual outing or a special occasion. However the scent is not long-lasting, so I find that to be this scent's only downfall.

Diesel Zero Plus Feminine by Diesel

I tried this because I love the scent of coconut and I read here that this fragrance smells a lot like it. Well let's just say I didn't get coconut from this at all. Instead I got a sour, synthetic, nasty smell. This is definitely a perfume that I would not recommend to anyone.

FCUK Her by French Connection

I agree with most of the reviews on this fragrance, it is definitely a strong soapy scent. Not one that I would personally purchase, but nice enough as a scent used to freshen up after a run or straight after a shower.

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

I was impressed with this perfume. I thought the bottle was very creative and unique and the scent equally as creative.

Although this fragrance doesn't really appeal to my tastes in perfume, I can appreciate Flowerbomb for what it is.

Flowerbomb is a strong floral with beautiful hints of vanilla. The scent is sweet and powdery without being too overpowering and is warm and soft on the skin.

This fragrance is along the lines of Angel by Thierry Mugler in the way it has been uniquely composed and in popularity. Like Angel, this fragrance either grabs you or disinterests you.

I might have considered purchasing this perfume if it wasn't so expensive, however I understand that Viktor & Rolf are an exclusive brand and wish to be noted in same league as Chanel and Guerlain.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I loved the bottle, but not the scent. It wasn't an offensive fragrance, but it was too predictable and common for my liking. It was also one of those fragrances where you have to push your nose onto your wrist in order to smell the scent. I think I expected a little more from SJP's first perfume, hence the reason why I was so disappointed.

Mediterranean by Elizabeth Arden

I was quite drawn to this fragrance when I first tried it. It is a very light aquatic fragrance. It could never be offensive because it is so calming and casual. I actually had this on my wishlist for ages, but I decided not to buy it because it didn't seem like a fragrance that I would find myself wearing. The sillage is fairly average but for the price this perfume is worth it.

Tweed by Fine Fragrances & Cosmetics

This was given to me by my Aunt who doesn't like wearing fragrances. I actually have the original bottle from the 40's and 50's. The perfume surprisingly has not gone off. Even though it is a mature scent, I often wear this to bed or around the house. It's a slightly musty, woodsy scent with a slight tartyness. I'm probably making this scent sound horrible, but it really isn't that bad. I've certainly smelt worse.

Charlie Gold by Revlon

This perfume may be cheap and not have the class and sophistication of perhaps Guerlain or Chanel, but it is in no way a cheap and nasty smelling fragrance. I find this fragrance to be very unique. I agree with Kellstar that the cinnamon certainly stands out in this fragrance. It is sweet without being sickly sweet. I have received many compliments when I wear this. My only criticism is that the lasting power is not that great.

Update: I wore this to bed last night and I was amazed at how amazing this smelt. It warmed on my skin considerably and smelt like a rich and expensive cinnamon and vanilla scent. Even my boyfriend assumed that it was a new perfume because it smelt so different. He actually found it quite sexy, and since he never compliments my fragrances, this is important to note.

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

This was my very first perfume which I think I received as a birthday gift when I was 12. I still have the original bottle but the juice is almost all gone. Now that I'm older I must say that it's not really my type of fragrance. It's a little too citrusy and rosy for my liking. The scent however is extremely long-lasting.

When I was in my teens I wore this all the time, partly because my high school boyfriend was called Tommy and I thought wearing something called Tommy Girl was kind of cute. But now this perfume only has bad memories so I haven't worn this for a very long time.

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

I find this fragrance refreshing, hence the reason as to why I refer to Ralph as my sporty perfume. It smells a lot like green apple and magnolia. I don't usually wear this when I go out, this is more of a "sitting at home - relaxing" type of scent. It's a great perfume to spritz on just after a shower or a run because it smells so fresh and clean.

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I received this perfume as a gift along with 3 other fragrances, so it went unnoticed for a while. When I finally got around to wearing it, I was quite pleasantly surprised.

The first initial spray is a strong citrusy burst of pineapple and orange which smells a lot like tropical fruit juice, but in a nice way. The fragrance quickly mellows, and although you can still smell the citrus notes, there are more flowery notes like rose and lily of the valley.

Wearing this fragrance is a lot of fun and makes you feel really girly and casual. However, be warned that this perfume is rather strong and that it has been known to give people headaches if used in large quantities.

Stella by Stella McCartney

I decided to try Stella when I read many reviews which stated this fragrance as a new classic. Stella is not your typical sweet and flowery rose scent, it is much darker and woodsy. It's actually not a sweet fragrance at all. The overall fragrance, including the dark purple bottle, reminds me of something slightly gothic or medieval. Because of my young age I didn't fall in love with Stella but I can see why people love it. Perhaps when I'm older I will retry this fragrance and like it a lot better, as I see this fragrance appealing to much more mature, sophisticated women.

Chance by Chanel

I can understand the popularity surrounding this fragrance. I would classify Chance as being much more of a casual and youthful fragrance as compared to other Chanel perfumes. The pineapple and iris are really strong in this perfume. It was hard for me to detect any of the other notes.

As I said before, I think this would make a great casual, daytime fragrance, however it has enough class to be worn during the nightime. Like all Chanel perfumes, this one has great lasting power and a strong, definite scent.

No. 5 by Chanel

I believe that it takes a very brave person to say they don't like Chanel No.5. Unfortunately all I get from this fragrance is powder and soap. The Chanel sales assistant told me that my skin chemistry went well with this perfume and although I agreed that I enjoyed it to a certain extent, I know I won't be adding No. 5 to my wishlist.

Perhaps it is my young age that makes me dislike most Chanel fragrances, but I respect them for being universally recognised and incredibly popular. This fragrance is very dependant on a person with the right skin chemistry, sophistication, class and maturity. On the wrong person it could be a disaster.

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Euphoria for women is fantastic! It's incredibly sexy and long lasting. It was exactly what I was looking for; a winter scent that is not too young nor too old.

This fragrance has a somewhat sweet yet strong and spicy feel to it. If smelt up-close it can be extremely overwhelming although from a distance the scent is soft, sweet and warm.

I'm not really a fan of the fruity top notes, however I really love the heart of Euphoria. I agree with other reviewers that felt that this fragrance was slightly masculine. I think this is because of the woodsy notes in the drydown.

I would sum-up this scent as being quite edgy, mysterious and modern. It's definitely something you should try before you buy, because this may not appeal to everyone.

Eternity Moment by Calvin Klein

I honestly could not smell anything when I tried this fragrance. It has to be the lightest perfume. I thought it was a bad tester bottle at first, but I tried it again in another store and there was still no luck.

There was the slightest hint of jasmine after about 5 minutes, but I had to really press my nose to my wrist to smell this one.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

About 2 months ago I made a list of all the best-selling fragrances around the globe and made it my duty to try them all. Light Blue was on this list.

I would love to have had a picture taken the moment I sniffed this for the very first time. I think I was in utter disbelief as to how people loved this perfume. All I got from this fragrance was a strong, sour burst of lemon. I usually associate lemon scents to detergents and cleaners around my home.

This was in no way a pretty or feminine fragrance. I have Moschino Funny! which is slightly similiar, but more floral and much lighter. I consider Funny! a better alternative to Light Blue. I will however add that men seem to love this fragrance, even though they agree with me when I say it's strong and lemony sour.

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

This is a little too spicy for my liking. It's not a horrible smell, the drydown was quite a likable deep amber, but there was something about With Love that just didn't seem right. Perhaps it's the strength of the overall fragrance, which is rather overpowering when first applied that ruins this fragrance for me. I could imagine myself liking this if it was a lighter EDT version.

Versace Woman by Versace

I love this perfume. It matches my chemistry perfectly.

This is such an impressively unique perfume. I love that not many people know of this fragrance, so whenever I wear it people recognise it as 'my' scent.

Out of all the fragrances I own, this is one of the few scents that portray true elegance and sophistication. In some ways it's my 'grown up' scent. Versace Woman is a fragrance that you can imagine yourself wearing to a strict formal event while sipping sparkling champagne and trying not to spill a drop on your expensive black satin gown.

I love wearing this when I go out at night because it has such great lasting power and sensuality. This is one perfume that I find intrigues men to come closer.

I get a lot of raspberry and amber in this fragrance which I absolutely love. I think this is a perfect scent for people of any age.