Reviews by blood-orange

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

Fiori di Capri by Carthusia

The only other carnation fragrance I'm familiar with, other than Fiori di Capri, is Fragonard's Billet Doux. The two are very different, this fragrance being much sweeter and less spicy.

The scent is very pretty, nothing too out there, but extremely likable. I haven't managed to dislike a Carthusia scent yet.

It's warm, flowery, slightly addictive but also a little similar to the scent of an air freshner. To my nose, it's rather classic and elegant, however I've read some reviews classifying it as an 'old lady' scent, which annoys me greatly.

I keep wanting to say pretty, because that's the only word that comes to mind when I smell this. I have to agree with Sherapop on this one, this is far too feminine for a man to wear.

A crisp floral bouquet of ylang ylang, carnation and lily that does have a touch of powderiness, however it is nowhere near as powdery as Aria di Capri. It can be worn casually and formally in my opinion, and it's something that should appeal to women that adore overtly feminine florals.

Unfortunately this fragrance is rather weak on my skin, although it is a fairly mild scent for starters. The lasting power is good, but the sillage leaves much to be desired. I do however adore my strong, almost cloying fragrances, so for many the sillage may be perfect.

I catch wafts of amber, musk and vanilla in the drydown which is rather, (I'm going to say it again) pretty, but nothing extremely original. Either way, I like this fragrance, just not enough to fall in love with it.

Aria di Capri by Carthusia

I was introduced to this fragrance by a sales person stating that it was somewhat similar to Chanel's No.5. I cannot entirely agree.

I initially hated aldehydic fragrances when I first started collecting perfumes, however it was due to the fact that I was trying the wrong ones. If everyone had the chance to smell Aria di Capri they may just change their mind altogether.

While the scent is powdery, it's also fresh, a touch lemony, feminine and delicate. There's a beautiful honeyed mimosa note followed by a subtle, yet slightly fruity peach note.

Aria di Capri would make a lovely Summer scent, however it's more for a scenic trip through the countryside in a white sundress on your way to a picnic, rather than a lazy day on the beach.

Despite the fact that the house of Carthusia is rather Mediterranean in its approach, I find this fragrance the least exotic. It reminds me of an English countryside for some reason, not the island of Capri.

The florals are so perfectly balanced in this fragrance, being quite sunny and energetic. Despite its powderiness, thankfully this fragrance doesn't have that all too familiar soapy accord. It's fresh but not clean.

Aria di Capri is supposed to be unisex, however I feel that it leans towards a more feminine side. While this was my favourite out of the Carthusia line when I first tested it, I'm not so keen on it now that I find it a little linear. The lasting power is great however and so is the sillage, which keeps me interested.

Fleurs de Nuit by Badgley Mischka

Fleurs de Nuit is a nice change from the rich fruity scents that this house is primarily known for.

This fragrance is a delicate and refreshing bouquet of jasmine, lily, orange blossom and magnolia. It's beautiful in the way that the florals have been complimented by a sugary hit of bergamot and quince.

The scent itself is very lush and crisp. There may even be aldehydes in this composition because I can detect a soft powderiness in the heart and top notes.

Fleurs de Nuit is not one of a kind, but it is truly breath-taking in a gorgeous, elegant and feminine way. In my books, Fleurs de Nuit is a sheer floral, not surprising that I see this fragrance on so many member's wishlists.

The sillage and longevity are great, wonderfully balanced and well worth the big bucks. I'm a little surprised that Badgley Mischka didn't make more of a fuss when this was released, however its increasing popularity just goes to show how many people enjoy this fragrance.

Fleurs de Nuit is mostly a scent for floral-lovers or people searching for a particularly soft and Spring-like scent. For that, I highly recommend.

Badgley Mischka Couture by Badgley Mischka

Okay, so I really liked the original Badgley Mischka with its bold, syrupy fruits. I thought, a couture version of Badgley Mischka should surely be just as rich, perhaps more elegant and ten times better, right? Hmm, not so.

Badgely Mischka Couture is a much blander fruity composition, with berries and watery pear leading in the opening. It's not as unique and rich as the original Badgley Mischka which comes as the first disappointment.

The floral heart comes across to my nose as being rather soapy. After sometime it develops into a sugary gardenia and an earthy and musky patchouli blend which was a little difficult for me to stomach.

As long as you apply this fragrance sparingly and don't smell up too close, Badgley Mischka Couture is passable. Unfortunately it smells sour on my skin, causing me to dislike this fragrance even more.

Towards the drydown it starts to turn, resembling something like a can of pears in syrup, complete with the alluminium can smell. Can't say I'm particularly rapt with anything in the composition itself. It all seems a jumbled, fruity mess.

I love the bottle design, I think it so very elegant and upscale. It's rather unfortunate that the scent doesn't match its outer packaging.

Muschio Bianco / White Moss by Acca Kappa

White Moss is absolutely enthralling. I usually find soapy, clean and musky scents mediocre, but this particular scent takes those three qualities to new heights.

It has a powdery and crisp laundry smell, however this is surprisingly quite natural and less chemical than you may originally think it to be.

The aromatic lavender and musky white woods, is what gives White Moss the unisex edge. It's almost the perfect gift for either a man or a woman that doesn't like anything overly strong or too 'perfumey'.

It's very much a skin scent. It leaves those other soapy concoctions like Pure DKNY and Jennifer Lopez's Glow for dead. It's sexy, delicate and airy without being overdone. It smells expensive and niche, and thankfully Acca Kappa has reasonable prices.

Natural seems to be the trend with Acca Kappa. Both Calycanthus and this fragrance are perfect, almost like they're not a fragrance at all, but something that has just arisen from the earth and been poured into a bottle.

The longevity is really impressive for such a light scent, lasting for around 6 hours. Obviously the sillage is intimate, but let's just say that the closer one gets to smelling this on somebody, sniffing is not all that they will do.

Calycanthus by Acca Kappa

Calycanthus is a beautiful and refreshing interpretation of an old English garden.

My childhood home is built on 4 hectares, 2 hectares being an English garden complete with white gravel paths, archways and a vineyard. Calycanthus takes me back there.

It opens quite strongly with sweet, dewy jasmine and orange blossom. There's also a rather green feel to this fragrance, making it smell like a natural bouquet of flowers rather than a perfume.

As it develops a sweet powderiness begins to show. It doesn't overpower the composition, but it does however give Calycanthus a clean-like quality.

This fragrance is all about sparkling florals and sweet honey. It's not particularly unique, but it is distinctive. A wonderful Spring fragrance in my opinion.

This fragrance is pretty, feminine, fresh and lasting. It may be niche, but Calycanthus is not a fragrance so daring that it can't be worn by perfume novices. I do believe that a majority of people will enjoy this fragrance, one reason being that it's a nicely composed jasmine scent, one that doesn't overpower or turn rancid on the skin.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I am attempting to write this review without being biased. My boyfriend wears this on a daily basis, so it's become less of a perfume for me, and more the smell that reminds me of him.

I will begin by saying that when I first smelt Bvlgari Aqva, I was a little underwhelmed. I'm not a huge fan of anything aquatic, even though I do enjoy its freshness on a man's skin. However, in the case of Bvlgari Aqva, I began to fall in love with its salty sea water note and its rich, earthy patchouli which lingers underneath the juicy orange.

I'm actually not surprised to read that there are many women that wear this also. It's masculine, but not strictly so. I find it a fragrance along the lines of Cool Water, Acqua di Gio and CK One, but perhaps a touch spicier.

My boyfriend wears this all year round, which is sometimes strange because I think it suits Summer weather a hell of a lot better. He also owns Gucci's Envy for Men (a gift I gave him) and CK's Eternity for Women, however Bvlgari Aqva is what he chooses above anything else.

On any other man, this fragrance would not turn me on, but on my boyfriend's skin, the combination is extremely sexy. It gives off this clean, 'fresh out of the shower' type aura that I really adore.

Bvlgari Aqva is a touch woodsy in the drydown, sharp almost. The rich amber only re-instates its masculine qualities. In some ways I'd call this a fierce aquatic, there is nothing subdued or soothing about it.

The longevity is great, especially on my boyfriend's skin which tends to soak up a lot of scents. Bvlgari Aqva is right up there as one of my favourite fragrances for men.

Grand Amour by Annick Goutal

Grand Amour, is in my opinion, quite distinct when compared to Annick Goutal's other fragrances.

There's something oddly green in this composition. It's pretty and feminine in a different way than what I'm used to. I can sense an abundance of watery lillies, green grass, honeyed leather, sweet mimose and jasmine, and a slightly chemical vanilla. In other words, a very unique green floral.

Well unlike other reviewers, I don't find this fragrance too heavy or too chaotic. I rather like its quirky little characteristics. I'm rather enchanted by its natural Spring-like freshness.

Like Ninfeo Mio, Grand Amour makes me think of a garden, a luscious green one. As it develops further there's a subtle soapiness and a touch of metallic coldness.

In the drydown there are occasional wafts of rich amber and vanilla, however on my skin, Grand Amour remained pretty and green. This fragrance is not really an oriental in my humble opinion. Well, certainly not oriental when compared to Goutal's Les Orientalistes series.

I can't say that this is my favourite fragrance from this beloved house of mine, (Passion still reigns supreme, shortly followed by Heure Exquise), but for what it's worth I haven't managed to dislike an Annick Goutal fragrance yet, (touch wood). Grand Amour just goes on to prove that this is an unstoppable house with such a variety to choose from.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

I've spent quite some time trying to track down this fragrance, well to be honest anything by Creed. Seeming that this fragrance hinted at all things tobacco (one of my favourite notes), I thought it might as well be the perfect Creed introduction.

Surprisingly Tabarome isn't as bold and masculine as I imagined it to be. The scent is quite soft and oddly refreshing. The tobacco note is certainly there, however it's not as strong as let's say, Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford.

I get a smooth, slightly dry blend of ginger, lemon, sandalwood, tea and tobacco. There's a hint of musky sweetness every now and then, which brings me to suggest this fragrance for both sexes, despite its rather masculine qualities.

Tabarome is quite sexy, in a ruggedly masculine, strictly business type fashion. The composition is balanced and very classic. Apparently Winston Churchill wore this, and I must agree that in some ways this fragrance would suit a much older man.

At times this fragrance has a rather bitter edge, most likely brought about by the ginger clashing with the vetiver. It's not unpleasant, but it's perhaps an acquired taste. Tabarome also has a very subtle hint of soapiness.

In regards to longevity, Tabarome is great, however there are moments when I'm slightly anosmic to this fragrance. The beauty of Tabarome comes and goes as it pleases.

Amor Pour Homme by Cacharel

I rather like this fragrance, so much so that I'm keen to wear it myself.

When I first sprayed Amor pour Homme it reminded me of my Mother's Italian cooking spices, it had a very herbaceous quality. The more it settled, I could sense the element of freshness and sweet masculinity.

At times this fragrance oozes a clean soapiness which is highlighted by some juicy citrus and rich spices. Although very masculine, I can't help enjoying this fragrance on my skin. It's such an unexpected surprise.

Once this fragrance reaches the drydown, I could smell this absolutely delicious blend of thick resins, smokey woods and exotic spices. I am so very impressed with Cacharel for composing one hell of a male fragrance.

It seems that the female equivalent, Amor Amor has gained much more notoriety than Amor pour Homme, which is a shame because they are both great scents that should be equal. I rarely see this fragrance in the stores, and I only managed to find this fragrance by stealing a sample which had been hidden behind a price list sign.

Calvin Klein Beauty by Calvin Klein

It's not like this scent hasn't been done before, but admist the fruity floral releases over this past year, Calvin Klein's new floral scent is rather refreshing to say the least.

Beauty is a cross between my very favourite Burberry Weekend and Michael Kors EDP. It's a rather bold, sparkling and Summery interpretation of a white floral scent, being mostly jasmine, lily and tuberose with a rich cedary base.

The floral blend, although very clean smelling, is quite heavenly. It's somewhat elegant and innocent like the advertising suggests, however for some it is far too distant from those heavier scents like Euphoria and Secret Obsession which have been big sellers in the past.

Beauty is a pretty scent, however unfortunately lacking in depth and distinction. I do like this fragrance, but I did hope for more. I quite like its floral freshness, yet every now and then I sense something that smells like a floral-scented bathroom diffuser.

The longevity of Beauty is great, well worth the big bucks, however the sillage can in some ways be too strong. Seeming that I'd prefer this kind of scent in the Summer, its heaviness would probably make me ill under such hot conditions.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Egoiste Platinum is one of those fragrances where you have to wait it out in order to understand its brilliance and appeal.

When I first sprayed it, I thought it was yet another sharp citrusy scent combined with lavender, but the more it developed the more amazing it became. I'm almost to the point where I would call this fragrance a major turn-on.

It's refreshing, a little spicy, slightly dry, clean and edgy. It's everything I enjoy in a masculine Summer scent, however due to this fragrance being so versatile, I'd say wear it all year round.

In the heart, I find this fragrance quite zesty, almost like a rich, pulpy orange with a sexy and heady geranium note. This fragrance is actually quite distinctive and unique despite it being so popular.

Egoiste Platinum reeks confidence, charm and comfort. I like the way guest_pippi (Fragrantica member) put it, I too could 'eat a man' wearing this. The drydown is a spectacular blend of woods and aromatic herbs.

The longevity and sillage are equally fabulous, everything that I'd expect from Chanel. It was a pity that the store in which I tested this fragrance didn't have the original Egoiste too, which I've been longing to try since discovering Egoiste Platinum.

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

Truth for Men is one of the nicest green aromatic scents around. Because it is so likable, I will not hesitate to place this fragrance into a unisex category.

This fragrance opens with clean and crisp 'metallic greens', with a subtle hint of pepper. The scent is rather fresh, although not overly Summery or too watery, it has substance.

Surprisingly this fragrance strikes me as being very natural, like the scent of grass on the floor of a forest and a man that has showered with spicy soap. Truth for Men is almost luscious and smooth.

It's not what I'd call particularly sexy, however on a man, it's very approachable. Through discovering this fragrance, I've realised that green scents work way better on men. Those grassy and earthy notes could suit practically any man, despite his personality, style or age.

The lasting strength of Truth for Men is great, as is the sillage, although not powerful, has a great projection. In my opinion this is the perfect choice for a man seeking a naturalistic, clean fragrance at a reasonable price.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

I was initially shocked by how familiar this fragrance was to my nose, I could have sworn I'd smelt it before. Either I reviewed a scent very much like Allure Homme Sport, or there has been many a man that has walked past me wearing this.

Allure Homme Sport is what I'd describe as a lemony, green scent with a touch of powder and pepper. In some ways this fragrance does evoke a sense of 'sporty-ness', however it is also a clean, Summery, casual and fresh scent.

Although interesting, and certainly pleasing to a female nose, Allure Homme Sport seems a little generic to me. Although not exactly the same, this fragrance is along the lines of Davidoff's Cool Water, Beckham's Instinct and Armani's Acqua di Gio.

The peppery citrus notes can become irritating over time, so due to the rather strong sillage, I can only recommend going light with this one. I like this fragrance's crispness however, I think it's a nice Summery alternative to the original rich and spicy Allure Pour Homme.

Although the blend itself works well, I also found this fragrance quite linear. I wonder whether this fragrance was composed to appeal to those men that aren't too fussed with perfumery as an art. As much as I hate to say it, I think Chanel is taking a step backwards with this release. Allure Homme Sport just doesn't seem to match the class, quality and distinction of other Chanel scents.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

There was once a man that I was very keen on. For years I lusted after him, until one drunken night, I let my feelings show and ended up going home with him. Polo Blue was the fragrance he wore that particular night.

I remember feeling intoxicated by its aroma, (in a good way). It was fresh, watery, a little citrusy and a touch herbaceous. Despite the fact that he was already a sexy looking guy, this fragrance made him all the more appealing.

This scent is youthful, yet masculine. It has a somewhat soapy edge that tends to become powdery as the fragrance develops.

While some dislike the dominant cucumber note, I rather enjoyed it. I used to have a sample of Polo Red, White and Blue, and in some ways, these two fragrances are similar.

This fragrance seems really suited to the young, sporty types. Unfortunately after my night with the man in question, we never saw each other again, so in some ways this fragrance has become less attractive in my eyes, just like CK's Eternity did after a two year relationship ended.

Polo Blue, although very pleasant, has shocking lasting power. I was a little disappointed to find it lasting no more than four hours. Every now and then I'll spritz this fragrance on to a piece of card to remember him, and everytime I do, I keep thinking how fresh, comforting, Summery and sporty this fragrance is.

Obsession Night by Calvin Klein

This fragrance struck me as being very unique, also being very different to what I expected it to smell like. Obsession Night in my mind, was a darker and sexier version of the original Obsession, perhaps a little smokier and sweet. In reality, Obsession Night is mostly a gentle floral with some masculine qualities, a tad too musky and in some ways synthetic, but not in an unpleasant way.

Everytime I smell this fragrance, I'm stuck for words to describe it. It's non-descript yet rather appealing. The scent itself is quite subdued, mostly a nice blend of clean white florals, a hint of sweet citrus and dusty vanilla.

Towards the drydown is where Obession Night begins to smell slightly masculine. It has a somewhat woodsy, pencil-shavings kind of smell to it. After awhile the scent does bore me, however if I bring my wrist to my nose and inhale deeply, I am once again intrigued and fascinated.

Obsession Night may be one of those fragrances that grow on you. As I'm reviewing this fragrance now, I almost feel bad for saying what I've said in the previous paragraphs, because the more I smell it, the more I begin to like it.

Smelling it again, it almost smells like baby wipes. I must add that I like the scent of baby wipes. My opinions on this fragrance are continually changing. I don't believe that it's possible for me to come to any kind of conclusion.

In terms of sillage and lasting strength, I'll give this fragrance the thumbs up. All I have left to say is that this is an interesting scent, rather smooth, sometimes creamy, and generally likable.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

When I smelt Obsession for Men for the very first time I was amazed that I hadn't come across this fragrance sooner. It has all the qualities I desire in my own perfumes, let alone what I wish every man would smell like.

I love the scent of incense, particularly sandalwood, patchouli or vanilla based incense sticks. This fragrance smells like a beautiful combination of the three, all smokey, spicy and sweet.

Obsession for Men does perhaps smell a little 'churchy' and a little too oriental for some, but this fragrance intrigues me. There's nothing about this fragrance that speaks 'overly dated 80's scent' to me.

I find this fragrance to be very unisex. It smells very similar to a lot of fragrance's I have on my own wishlist right now, like, Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal and 31 Rue Cambon by Chanel.

Despite its obvious incense note, this fragrance does tend to have a soapy quality that is lovely and clean smelling, taming those sometimes harsh spicy notes. Obsession for Men is the kind of fragrance which is sexy and cuddly at the same time, two conflicting feelings in one bottle.

The sillage and lasting power are great, and at such an inexpensive price, I'm amazed that this isn't more popular than it is.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Well, I wouldn't call this fragrance 'antique', 'old-fashioned' or 'mature'. Pour Monsieur is a classic which has been around for decades, however it makes such a smooth transition into every decade, paticularly this one.

Pour Monsieur is nothing utterly breath-taking. It won't be encouraging me to jump any man wearing it, however with that being said, it is sexy in a grown-up, clean fashion.

I find this fragrance to be a particularly beautiful blend of citrus and herbs, with both accords creating a harmonious and friendly experience.

Pour Monsieur strikes me as being the scent of a business-man. He's focused, confident, intelligent and smartly dressed. In some ways, Pour Monsieur is the male equivalent to Chanel No.19, just perhaps not as green and leathery.

Apparently Pour Monsieur is a chypre, well I don't know too much about that particular fragrance genre, but I guess that oakmoss in the base places it into that category. I find the cedar and amber to be much more prominent.

This fragrance is one of those refreshingly green scents with a touch of spiciness, which provides an interesting warmth. The sillage is so-so, however this fragrance does last extremely well. Not the best Chanel fragrance for men, but certainly impressive.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Allure Homme is by far one of my favourite scents on a man, so it made perfect sense to see what it's many versions were like.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche, may not have all the rich woodsiness that made Allure Homme so appealing, but this fragrance is a nice alternative for casual wear and warm days.

This fragrance opens with subtle lemon, delicate vanilla creaminess and a dash of pepper. It's quite smooth and soothing. I particularly like how clean it smells on a man. My boy tried on the aftershave version of this fragrance in the store and I really enjoyed its refreshing subtlety.

He wasn't so keen on the fragrance unfortunately, mostly because he's a smoker and lighter scents are much harder for him to smell. I must admit that at times, this fragrance was even hard for me to detect.

The lasting power is pretty good, in both the EDT and Aftershave concentrations, and like I mentioned before, the sillage is fairly intimate.

The drydown is quite possibly my favourite aspect of this fragrance, which is a creamy sandalwood, musk and vanilla blend. In some ways I find this fragrance quite milky, a little similar to Emporio Armani White for Men. Despite its creamy approach and the rather delcious vanilla accord, this fragrance is very masculine, so don't let the notes fool you into dismissing it.

White Linen by Estée Lauder

If you've ever wanted to know what sharp aldehydes smell like, give White Linen a try.

This fragrance is an aldehyde overload, so much to the point that it smells like a white, sparkling bathroom. There's huge doses of powder, soap, laundry and flowers in White Linen. The clean qualities are so bold that it's sometimes difficult to point out any individual notes.

While I do love aldehydes, I prefer them in smaller doses. White Linen is a scent I like my sheets to smell of, but perhaps not my own skin.

This fragrance is also typical of those 80's fragrances, being a monster in terms of sillage and reliable in terms of longevity.

I'm only 20, so strong perfumes such as this one make me feel too old before my time. Not saying that this is a so-called 'old lady scent', but it does have more mature connotations. Along with that thought, personally I find this fragrance far too chemical, powdery and sharp for my liking.

Once Upon a Time pour Femme by Kenzo

First off I'd just like to mention how beautiful this bottle is. The intense teal colour along with the fascinating, wallpaper designs are really eye-catching. I have a feeling this fragrance will sell well based on the bottle itself.

The fragrance is equally as fascinating to me as the bottle. It opens with a clean and powdery rose and magnolia blend, being rather refreshing and Summery.

Further through its development, Kenzo Once Upon A Time shows a slightly spicier side, making it a touch oriental. Despite the spices being present, please don't think that this fragrance is anything like YSL's Opium or CK's Obsession, they are in two different leagues. This is a pleasant, refreshing and subtle hint of spice only there to compliment the delicate floral accords.

After this initial flowery and spicy burst, the scent merges into a musky and ambery base, a little conventional, but still pleasant nonetheless. With the mass of Summer fragrances being released this time of year, it's nice to discover one, like Once Upon A Time that doesn't rely too heavily on citrus to make a refreshing statement.

Badgley Mischka by Badgley Mischka

I usually detest anything too fruity, especially in strong doses, however Badgley Mischka is glorious.

Whenever I think of this fragrance, as strange as it may sound, I think of a fruit salad gone wild, drowning in boozy rum and gorging itself on caramel toffees. The scent is thick and heavy like golden syrup drizzling off a wooden spoon.

The more I smell this, the more addicted I become. The scent is very rich yet classy at the same time. It doesn't smell cheap or pre-pubescent like some syrupy and fruity scents tend to be.

It reminds me a little of Miss Dior Cherie, just without the overly sweetened strawberry wine note and all the girly nonsense. What I love about Badgley Mischka is that it doesn't attempt to be pretty, it wants to make a statement, and that it does, boldly and proudly.

If subtle scents are your thing, I'd probably skip trying this, however if you're like me and love the scents that often make people gag or sneeze, go right ahead and douse yourself in this. This is one fruity fragrance that I desire in copious amounts.

I'm so glad to see Tania Sanchez giving this fragrance five stars in her book, 'Perfumes: The Guide', and I must agree that learning to love this fragrance takes time and a lot of patience. After a few wears, I almost guarantee you'll be hooked.

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

Dear Womanity, why are you so unloved? I feel as if something is wrong with me seeming that I enjoy you so.

I know many people get citrus, fig, salty caviar, nail polish or bad body odour, but I smell spicy cookies. No joke, Womanity smells exactly like a cookie shop to me, the kind of smell that wafts past you, instantly electrifying your taste buds, with that 'straight-out-of-the-oven' freshly baked cookie smell.

I smelt Womanity over and over again to see whether my perception changed, but sure enough it smells foody and sweet like cookies.

Towards the heart I can begin to sense the fig which is delicious and tarty but never overwhelming. There is also a sparkling pink grapefruit accord in there somewhere too, which along with the pomegranate are the only fruits I can smell.

Womanity is a really fascinating scent, nowhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be. The lasting power and sillage are highly commendable and the complexity of the composition absolutely breath-taking.

I am so pleased that Thierry Mugler has once again jumped into the deep end and taken another risk with this new release. If all fragrance houses did this, the world of perfumery would be much more interesting.

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

Patchouli 24 is quite possibly one of the smokiest scents I'll ever experience in this lifetime. This scent is not entirely patchouli like the name suggests; not earthy and green like most fragrances are with this accord.

There is a striking and captivating dustiness that is all too beautiful on the skin. At times this fragrance reminds me of camp-fires, ash and incense, all the things that I find appealing. It is no wonder that I love this scent so much.

The vanilla which tends to linger softly behind the smokey patchouli and woodsy notes, is divine and rather feminine on the skin. I must say that I'm a very feminine person, and I do not agree that this is strictly for men. It is too beautiful not to be shared between genders.

There is a touch of leather in this composition which provides a sensual, animalistic quality. For that reason alone I'm tempted to wear this out on the town to see the various reactions from men. To me, Patchouli 24 is the scent of a confident and captivating seductress.

I love Rebella's (Fragrantica reviewer) description, "velvety smoke" which I find sums up this fragrance perfectly. Be forewarned that this fragrance is rather intense, being heavy in its projection and lasting on the skin. If you've ever tried Annick Goutal's Les Orientalistes range, Patchouli 24 smells very similar to Myrrhe Ardente and Encens Flamboyant.

Neroli 36 by Le Labo

Neroli 36 struck me straight away as being more mandarin orange based than neroli. There was also an obvious sweetness, which was very pleasant but far from the bitterness that this fragrance is supposed to convey.

As far removed from being a soliflore as possible, I did much prefer this fragrance over Annick Goutal's Neroli, which I found too herbaceous and citrusy.

The more the scent developed, the more it began to resemble a juicy, pulpy orange mixed with talcum powder. Not the nicest description I know, but far nicer when smelt.

On the Now Smell This blog, both reviewers mention an aquatic quality which I don't seem to get. The scent is certainly Summery and refreshing, but there aren't any oceanic notes in this composition, as far as I can smell anyway.

I really enjoyed wearing this fragrance while it lasted, which was relatively impressive. Perhaps the only aspect I didn't like was the drydown, which up close smelt like a pet-shop but from a distance smelt like orange-scented cleaning products with a touch of musk.

Every now and then, Neroli 36 gives off a soapy vibe, however I wouldn't go so far to say that it's particularly clean-smelling, the sweetness certainly prevents it from going that way.

Neroli 36 is nothing ground-breaking, but it's certainly, in my opinion, something that lives up to its expensive price tag. Lovely, just lovely.

Jasmin 17 by Le Labo

Le Labo continues to amaze me with their beautiful simplicity and their workshop-based concepts. Jasmin 17, although not anything outstanding is polite, refined and smooth. Everything that a jasmine soliflore should be.

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens is still my favourite jasmine scent, however when Sarrasins is too dark and rich for Summer, that's where Jasmin 17 comes in. This fragrance is a pretty concoction of light, transparent jasmine, a hint of orange blossom and milky vanilla.

Subtle and fresh, and in some ways innocent, Jasmin 17 is nothing loud or irritating, just delicate jasmine blooms resting softly on the skin. This fragrance is fairly linear, the only development being the appearance of the musk in the drydown.

Like I mentioned before, simplicity is what I admire from this fragrance house. Jasmin 17 goes to show that extreme measures don't need to be taken in order to achieve something lovely and fresh.

The scent also feels rather natural on the skin. There's a definite sweetness in Jasmin 17 that is most likely the result of the jasmine and vanilla blending together rather than a saccharine additive.

This fragrance lasts considerably well and the sillage is moderate, not too strong nor too soft. I highly recommend this fragrance to floral lovers and jasmine fanatics alike.

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

Jardins de Bagatelle appears to be the perfect white floral, and indeed it has been composed well.

This fragrance opens with a rich, powdery bouquet of jasmine, tuberose, gardenia, white rose and lily of the valley. It's all innocent, creamy and beautiful.

I was delighting in this fragrance for quite some time, appreciating the beauty of a well-done white floral but also knowing that I'd never wear it in my youthful years, due to its refined and classic appeal. Jardins de Bagatelle is a far better representation of white florals than Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, Kai or Annick Goutal's Gardenia Passion.

I was ready to place this fragrance in the category of some of the best florals I've had the privilege to smell, when I noted a strong, dry vetiver accord that didn't mesh well with my chemistry.

Unfortunately all that flowery creaminess had vanished, leaving me with a masculine, soapy and unremarkable vetiver and musk blend. For some they have been able to smell the patchouli, violet and rich woods, however it looks like I got the bad end of the stick.

Despite the drydown being a drawback, the moments leading up to it was absolutely, exquisitely beautiful. The way I see it, although I can not wear this fragrance myself, I will certainly appreciate it on those who can.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Cinnamon by Comme des Garçons

I was in a bit of a random mood when I tried Series 5: Cinnamon. I had been walking past the Commes Des Garcons counter and spotted the small, white sprayer bottles and upon reading their labels went, "yes, I wouldn't mind smelling like cinnamon today!"

Well, it's cinnamon but not in a rich, exotic or spicy way. I've recently begun cooking a variety of dishes and so I've become quite familiar with the scent of freshly ground cinnamon. Perhaps the sherbet aspect gets in the way, giving this fragrance a powdery and strange fizzy quality.

The more the scent develops the cleaner and more subdued it becomes. It's delicate and clean rather than exotic and bold, like you may expect.

It just feels diluted and strange on the skin, like a deoderant or a body splash rather than a perfume. I must however highlight the fact that this fragrance lasts and lasts, at least well over ten hours.

I'm a big fan of oriental scents and anything particularly spicy, so this clean and synthetically sweetened cinnamon scent didn't rock my world, however for those that seek something a little different but clean at the same time, Series 5: Cinnamon could be the perfect pick.

There's no doubt in my mind that this fragrance is pleasant, cooling and pretty, however I wanted just a touch more character.

Néroli by Annick Goutal

I shouldn't be comparing this fragrance to other neroli based scents, however only seconds before trying this fragrance I had tested Le Lebo's Neroli 36.

Had I not smelt a much sweeter and more feminine Neroli 36, Annick Goutal's Neroli may have been delicate to my nose too.

The orange note is certainly obvious in this fragrance. It's not overly citrusy, more pulpy and juicy with a dash of herbs. It does have a masculine quality to it, however I wouldn't go so far to say that it's unpleasant.

The scent tends to be very light and airy at times with a touch of greeness and a likable bitterness. Unfortunately the lasting power is extremely poor, I could barely smell it after an hour on my skin.

Neroli evokes a strong sense of Summer in my mind. Lots of sunshine, cool drinks and warm breezes. It's pretty, but like I said, disappointing in the longevity department. I wanted to see how it would develop further.

Vanilla does play a part in this fragrance's drydown, giving Neroli a somewhat sweet aspect that still manages to smell very natural. What I do admire about this fragrance is its ability to smell like a blossom picked fresh from a garden. This is an all-natural interpretation of a beautiful orange blossom.

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

I first smelt this fragrance almost two years ago, and I vividly remember cringing as I found the citrus too acidic and strange. These days my nose is much better trained and I have learnt to appreciate such scents.

Le Nuits d'Hadrien is not all citrus, in fact the citrus notes are shadowed by the herbaceous qualities. I own Eau d'Hadrien which I find too lemony, however this version is much more rounded.

The lemon, although present, doesn't play a huge part in this composition. The mandarin orange stands out the most, especially with the aromatic herbs surrounding it.

Because of the green herbs, which are at times a tad too spicy, Le Nuits d'Hadrien has a dark aura of citrusy warmth and exotic cooking spices. I made a pork roast once which I seasoned with bay leaves, orange pulp and rosemary. This fragrance reminds me of that beautiful Winter dish.

Over the course of this fragrance's drydown, Le Nuits d'Hadrien does take on a rather soapy quality, however the earthy patchouli, citrus and herbs can still be recognised.

Unfortunately the lasting power of this fragrance is not great, nor is the sillage which is pretty weak. I hate when some Annick Goutal fragrances fade quickly because it gives people the impression that all her scents do this, which is not true. I have only tested the EDT version, however with my experience with this fragrance house, the EDP's usually last a lot longer.

Either way, this fragrance is still worth checking out, especially if citrus aromatics are your thing.