Reviews by blood-orange

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

DKNY Delicious Candy Apple Sweet Caramel by Donna Karan

Although I am somewhat sick of the numerous versions of DKNY Be Delicious, DKNY Sweet Caramel is a nice interpretation which is thankfully not as tarty or sickeningly sweet as one would expect.

With the scent being driven by a strong presence of caramel and vanilla, this fragrance reminds me of apple crumble with a serve of whipped cream.

There is a slight sharpness with the apple note, however in this particular case it works in unison with the pretty sweet notes. This fragrance isn't as fresh as the original, it is much richer in its approach.

In terms of lasting power, DKNY Sweet Caramel is the best out of the three, lasting well over 8 hours. The combined longevity and the overall scent, makes this fragrance very appealing, especially as a gift for young girls.

I wouldn't call this a complete replicate of the scent of a toffee apple like some are expecting, this is more dessert-like, syrupy almost. It is definitely for those with a sweet-tooth.

Those that love the original Be Delicious may or may not love this fragrance, it really depends on their tolerance for sweet scents and gourmands.

DKNY Delicious Candy Apple Ripe Raspberry by Donna Karan

I've always preferred Red Delicious over Be Delicious, so it was natural for me to be intrigued enough to try DKNY Ripe Raspberry.

Straight away I likened this fragrance to cherry cola. It has a wonderful fizzy, sugary and tasty quality. This is by far my favourite out of the Candy Apples range.

It's the fizziness that makes me like this fragrance. The same kind of intriguing fizziness as I found in YSL's Yvresse. I think that creating a perfume that tends to smell very much like soda is not as off-putting as it sounds. It's unique and likable in lots of different ways.

Once again, this fragrance is aimed at a younger crowd, however I would enjoy wearing this every now and then, especially when I want to get in touch with my somewhat childish side.

While not a particularly complex scent, the blend of cola, raspberry, litchi and sugar is pleasant and satisfying. This fragrance has a definite sense of playfulness. While not a real gourmand, it has some edible qualities.

DKNY Ripe Raspberry, is surprisingly not as synthetic as I expected it to be. It's lasting power is good, but not great and the sillage is fairly average. But all in all, it's a nice, youthful scent. An entertaining take on the original Red Delicious.

DKNY Delicious Candy Apple Juicy Berry by Donna Karan

DKNY Juicy Berry, to my nose is Delicious Night minus the smokey incense and the dark, fruity accords.

I don't understand why this whole Candy Apples series was necessary, they're just overly sweetened versions of the originals. I expected something a little different, however they've left me underwhelmed.

DKNY Juicy Berry smells like blueberry flavoured bubble-gum. Sweet, somewhat juicy, but not as likable as other rich berry scents like Escada's Moon Sparkle and Britney Spears' Midnight Fantasy.

This fragrance screams teenage girls. This is definitely something that the younger generation will like. Speaking from the experience of a twenty year old, this fragrance made me feel girly and immature.

They say there's rose and woods in this composition, however I disagree. DKNY Juicy Berry, is as the name implies, berries all the way through. Sugar-coated berries with very little lasting power.

Because this fragrance isn't all that strong, it could possibly be worn in Summer. This fragrance is very candy-like, however I wouldn't say that there is any hint of apple in there. Best stick to the original Be Delicious for a juicy apple hit.

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

Fragrances don't usually get cozier or creamier than this. Cashmere Mist gives me that calm, tranquil feeling, a sense of peaceful, uninterrupted sleep.

Creamy, powdery and somewhat milky, the colour white is a perfect way of describing this fragrance. It's pretty yet also sensual, very feminine and addictive.

Cashmere Mist is neither too floral, too powdery, too vanillary or too creamy. It's a nicely balanced blend, pleasing to almost every nose.

Sexy but also innocent, Cashmere Mist is a fragrance that I would recommend for any occasion and any season. It is true that there are many scents out there that are similar to Cashmere Mist, however I do still refer to this fragrance as being one of a kind.

I had no issues with the lasting power, I thought it lasted considerably well, with moderately strong sillage. Wearing Cashmere Mist is not like wearing a perfume, it feels very natural and soothing on the skin. I highly recommend.

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

Black Cashmere, is rich, sultry and dark. I liken it more to black, shiny silk rather than cashmere.

There is something oddly sexual about this fragrance, perhaps it is its slightly masculine smokiness and bold spiciness. I'm surprised that this wasn't so popular when it was first released, however the amount of followers it has gained since the re-release has been huge.

In a sense this fragrance is quite complex, with an array of spicy notes, woods and earthy vanilla. I expected this fragrance to be much stronger, sillage-wise than it was. Black Cashmere is surprisingly quite intimate, soft almost.

The scent is bewitchingly beautiful, a definite must-try for incense lovers like myself. I sprayed Black Cashmere all over myself prior to going out in the city, I did however have Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal sprayed lightly on my right wrist. While I enjoyed both scents, Black Cashmere unfortunately didn't last the distance, the long seven hours, drunken, in a pair of heels was too long for this fragrance to last.

I do believe that with the re-issue the scent has been watered-down, made much softer, because from what I've heard, Black Cashmere in its original formulation was heavy and cloying.

This fragrance is still delightful, don't get me wrong, however I'm a woman that loves her incense-based fragrances heavy and lasting. Black Cashmere, in my opinion, is better suited to intimate occasions, like romantic dates or cold nights lying in front of a nice, warm fire.

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

As much as I have tried to understand the popularity surrounding the female version of D&G Light Blue, I have never been able to come to terms with it at all. However, since trying Light Blue for Men, I have much more respect for Dolce & Gabbana.

Citrusy and fresh, without being the nose-burning, acidic kind, is always the best way to go when it comes to me. I find this fragrance quite nice, especially for the hotter seasons where strong fragrances don't work all that well.

This is not the sexiest fragrance I've ever come across, but it is clean and appealing in lots of ways. Many people are comparing this fragrance to Acqua di Gio, however I must disagree. This fragrance doesn't give me a headache like the other one does.

The sillage is very intimate, but nicely so. It leaves a pleasantly subtle citrusy scent which will not stink out a room in any case.

Light Blue for Men incorporates some nicely watered-down citrus notes that come with a tiny touch of sweetness, more natural than synthetic. The scent dries down into a soothing, almost aromatic herbs and woods, lovely nonetheless. In all honesty, there is nothing to despise here.

Molinard Homme I by Molinard

Molinard I is more of an aromatic than a woody scent. Lavender and cloves are what seem to stand out the most to my nose.

I was introduced to this fragrance by a sales assistant shortly after testing Santos de Cartier. She described it as being a very classic fragrance, one which would appeal to those more mature men that seek conservative fragrances for their wardrobe.

I don't agree with the classic reference, however this fragrance is conservative. It's very basic in its approach, being somewhat one-dimensional, and having poor longevity, which is another downfall.

Molinard I is not signature material, however the scent itself is very soothing. Funny as it might sound, this fragrance would make an excellent bed-time scent. The lavender and soft woods would bring with it a peaceful night's sleep.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for this fragrance, I do believe it would be a lot more well-known had it been packaged differently. The bottle is so plain that I would have walked past this fragrance and dismissed it entirely had I not been introduced to it by the pushy sales assistant.

So Pretty by Cartier

I have gone on to reviewing So Pretty shortly after smelling Guerlain's Mitsouko, and interestingly enough I find them both slightly similar.

So Pretty is much fruitier of course, however they are both relatively dry scents with a likable bitterness.

A little heavy, but certainly not unpleasant, So Pretty is actually a fragrance I've been trying to track down for years. Classic scents always intrigue me, and So Pretty has not left me disappointed.

The most dominant notes to my nose tends to be the tarty rose, orchid, peach and blackberry. It has a somewhat feminine richness, that gives this fragrance an elegant and sophisticated vibe.

Despite this fragrance being a little dated these days and also difficult to find, I would encourage many young people to go out and test this fragrance while you still can.

There aren't many fragrances like this still around. Forget the soapy and overly sweetened fruity florals of today, So Pretty re-defines fruits and flowers. With excellent sillage and lasting strength, I highly recommend So Pretty.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I still have a lot to learn about chypres, so it made perfect sense to try one of the world's most famous chypres, Mitsouko.

'Perfumes: The Guide' uses Mitsouko as their chypre reference, hailing it as one of Guerlain's best masterpieces. I'm young, not really a big fan of chypres, however I do agree wholeheartedly on that definition.

Mitsouko is warm, slighty spicy, mossy, citrusy and dry. This fragrance tends to be so complex that it is difficult to pinpoint any particular note at any given time.

While this fragrance may be classic and extremely well-known, there is a sense of timelessness in this fragrance. It doesn't age as it makes an easy transition into a new century.

The classic Guerlain's continue to amaze me. Mitsouko is just as worthy of praise as those very distinguished Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue bottles. It is a pity that Guerlain now produces fragrances that don't live up to its renowned name.

While mostly green, crisp and earthy to my nose, (a scent that I'd also recommend to men), I feel a sense of velvety softness, something that settles on my skin like a harmony of silky florals and creamy goodness. This contradictory experience both confuses me and allures me at the same time.

Perhaps the reason why this fragrance is such a masterpiece is because it can evoke so many different feelings and opinions. Mitsouko is not something I can imagine myself wearing, however it is something that I could have the desire to smell every few seconds if I had the opportunity.

Délices de Cartier Eau Fruitée by Cartier

The original Delices smelt like cherry-flavoured liqueur, rich and syrupy, however Delices Eau Fruitee, smells juicier and more fresh.

At first I didn't like this fragrance. It opened very sour and intensely fruity. It resembled the scent of tropical fruit juice, which was something I didn't aspire to smelling like.

I spent the first hour or so, wanting it to mellow or even become a tad sweeter to cancel out the sharp tartness of the scent. While I appreciated the fact that it wasn't sweet and predictable like other fruity florals, it was that same uniqueness that was turning me off the fragrance altogether.

Eventually the scent became less sharp, which helped me to delight in some softer accords of jasmine, cherry blossom and subtle citrus. I was just beginning to enjoy this fragrance when I noticed it beginning to fade rather quickly, and as I suspected, it was gone before it even reached the drydown.

With such poor lasting power it is difficult to say whether or not the scent did improve. From what I experienced I do not hesitate in preferring the original Delices.

Le Paradis de Nina by Nina Ricci

Like one would expect, Le Paradis de Nina is sweet, but not in a headache-inducing sense of the word.

Captivated by the adorable silver and pink bottle, I could not resist spritzing this fragrance onto my wrist, despite my initial fears that it could be too sweet for my tastes. Thankfully, Le Paradis de Nina was just right. A sugary scent that doesn't go overboard.

The scent itself is girly, light and somewhat fluffy. Instead of heavy syrup, this fragrance is a thin layer of icing sugar on a vanilla cupcake.

The softness of the scent overall left me with a very pleasant feeling all day. Unfortunately it didn't last as long as I would have liked it to. The lasting strength was moderate, around 5 hours, however it left me lusting for more.

While I don't dispute the fact that lovers of the red Nina will like this fragrance too, I do think that those who expect this fragrance to be just as heavy and candied with an apple note, may be disappointed. Subtle is the key to describing this scent.

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Le Labo is fast becoming one of my favourite niche fragrance houses. I am already a huge fan of Oud 27, so while I was on a massive rose search, I decided to give Rose 31 a try.

I tested this fragrance knowing full well that it was a male fragrance. Many female celebrities however, delight in wearing Rose 31, so I was game enough to spray it liberally on my skin.

What an interesting take on rose. It is neither too floral nor too masculine. Rose is actually the most subtle note in this composition, with the woods, spices and earthy notes playing for dominance.

Somewhat animalic in its nature, this is dirty, raw rose. The best description I can give is that of a delicate rose mushed into the ground, smoothered in mud, set on fire and drizzled with resins and spices.

Dark, but light-hearted at the same time, Rose 31 is a little bit like Tauer's Incense Rose, but not so smokey. The scent itself, despite its boldness, never becomes too overpowering. I do believe that this fragrance would work well as both a casual and formal scent.

Well, after testing this fragrance I would not categorise it as a strict rose soliflore, nor would I say it is for men only. Surprisingly, rose haters would probably really enjoy Le Labo's Rose 31.

Hypnotic Poison Eau Sensuelle by Christian Dior

This is indeed a paler version of the original Hypnotic Poison.

All that bold vanilla and play-dough has been taken away and replaced with soft florals and subdued vanilla. They perhaps made the original more wearable and casual, however in my opinion they made it boring.

Hypnotic Poison was never my favourite in the Poison series, I much preferred the richer Poison, Midnight Poison and Tendre Poison. To make a lighter version of any of those three fragrances would be an outrage, why did they assume that making a softer version of Hypnotic Poison was going to be well-received?

I'm a young woman that likes to make a statement with the fragrances I choose to wear. Hypnotic Poison eau Sensuelle is neither head-turning or overly sensual in my opinion. I would wear this fragrance perhaps as a bed-time scent or to a picnic in the park.

The sillage is extremely intimate and soft, and the lasting power, while satisfactory, could have lasted a little longer.

In conclusion all I can say is for those that like to wear bold fragrances, stick to the original. For those shy perfume wearers, Hypnotic Poison eau Sensuelle could be the perfect scent for you, especially if you found the original to be too strong.

Forever and Ever Dior by Christian Dior

The many different versions of Forever and Ever is enough to make me dizzy. The version I'm reviewing is the most current release.

Forever and Ever, while not something that I would personally buy, is one of the most pleasant soapy florals I've tried as of late.

I wore this fragrance to a yoga class last week and I was amazed at how many people commented on how lovely and clean it smelt. Even my sweetheart loved it, and he's usually more accustomed to my dark, earthier scents.

While simplistic, Forever and Ever wears prettily and can lean towards being a romantic scent. It is often said that a majority of men prefer a clean, subtle scent on a woman, and this fragrance achieves this without being overly synthetic or too generic.

The lasting power is quite outstanding, however the sillage is extremely intimate, airy almost. When I wore it, it almost felt as if I wasn't wearing any perfume at all. The only reminder was a waft of soft rose and jasmine when I lifted my arm up past my nose in a salute to the sun.

If you're a big fan of soapy, clean florals I would definitely recommend Forever and Ever. To my nose, it is a very pretty, 'pink' and innocent floral, geared towards any woman of any age, either young or old.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I came to find Dior Homme when on a shopping expedition, searching for a new male fragrance to gift my love.

Dior Homme strikes me as being very classy and sophisticated. This fragrance is essentially what I'd imagine a male model smelling like. A metrosexual fragrance, you may ask? I would agree entirely.

Mostly woodsy and aromatic, (particularly with the lavender and sage notes), Dior Homme does have a touch of sweetness, somewhat vanillic in its nature. The iris also gives this fragrance a unisex feel, which I think is correct. I would definitely consider wearing this fragrance myself on certain occasions.

The scent itself is smooth, confident and alluring. It doesn't have that animalistic effect that some male fragrances have on me, however if a man were to try and seduce me, while subjecting me to smelling this fragrance, I could get myself a little worked up on it. It's a scent that tends to crawl its way into your heart.

The sillage and lasting power of Dior Homme is well-worth the money spent. Dior makes such quality scents that I often feel that they deserve much more praise than they are given.

I was actually surprised to discover how unique Dior Homme is. As is the case with many popular male fragrances, I find them pleasant yet generic at the same time. Dior Homme was a nice discovery.

Unfortunately I found this fragrance too sophisticated for my rather creative and wild man. But in regards to buying something for my male friends, Dior Homme will be kept as a potential gift in my mind.

Infiniment by Chopard

Infiniment seems to have been overshadowed by Wish and Happy Spirit as of late, however I much prefer this fragrance, as it is not so generic.

Infiniment is a somewhat creamy white floral with strong peppery notes and a touch of citrus. It's nothing that makes you go, "wow!", but it is very wearable and pleasant.

Light yet lasting, this fragrance is perhaps better suited to the shy wearer. This fragrance is also quite versatile, being easily worn in almost every season and on every occasion.

The creamy aspect makes Infiniment rather luxurious and feminine, especially with its subtle familiarity with a bouquet of fresh flowers. Infiniment reminds me of Chanel's Allure EDT and Versace Signature, very classy and simplistic.

For those that struggle to find a suitable scent to wear, Infiniment is a safe choice, a wonderful staple to add to any wardrobe where your choices are not usually fussy ones.

Must de Cartier by Cartier

Finding this fragrance was a true God-send. Where I live, Must de Cartier is pretty much unheard of, in fact the name Cartier barely registers as being a fragrance house. A lot of people think that Cartier only makes jewellery.

From what I have delighted in, Cartier is an amazing perfume house. Must de Cartier is my favourite so far.

Classic yet extremely unique, Must de Cartier can be compared to the likes of Cacharel Eden, Gucci Rush and Rochas Byzance. As you may have gathered from the perfumes I compared it to, this fragrance is a love it or hate it.

Must de Cartier is so very complex in its composition. It tends to be rather heavy and very 80's in its approach. Initially, Must de Cartier goes on very oriental with an ambery spiciness mixed with exotic fruits. I usually detest pineapple in fragrances, however in Must de Cartier the pineapple note is divinely beautiful.

In the heart, this fragrance becomes rather powdery, a scent that I find resembles cosmetics. I smell vintage lipstick, perfumed face powder and inky eyeliner. A strange concoction, which is strangely appealing at the same time.

I picture a dramatic woman when I smell Must de Cartier. She's the kind of lady that decks herself out in diamonds every day, wears intensely coloured clothes, high heel shoes and has perfectly manicured nails. Essentially, Must de Cartier is the kind of fragrance that would suit a much older me. At the age that I am now, Must de Cartier would feel wrong, however in the next fifteen or so years, this fragrance would suit me well.

This fragrance is so well balanced. The combination of spiciness, powderiness and vanillary amber is beyond words. I could praise this fragrance for at least another 1,000 words, however I wouldn't want to bore you all to tears.

Getting back to the important aspects; Must de Cartier has bold sillage and commendable lasting power. All I can conclude with is my strong desire to have everyone test this fragrance, especially now seeming that it is still relatively easy to find. You may be disappointed if you leave it too long, as I fear that a discontinuation of this fragrance may be on the cards.

Contradiction by Calvin Klein

You don't hear too much about Calvin Klein's Contradiction these days, as it is often overshadowed by newer releases like Euphoria, CK IN2U and CK One. While I don't find it to be anything overly amazing, I fear that it may be the first fragrance to be discontinued in Calvin Klein's current collection, which would be such a shame.

Contradiction is a pleasant enough blend of delectable florals and powdery woods. The eucalyptus note in the heart, is possibly what causes some to refer to this fragrance as being metallic. I quite like the uniqueness of the eucalyptus note. I'm an Australian, from the country, so this particular note reminds me of home and the bush, which perhaps in turn makes me a fan. Escape for Men also gives me the same nostalgic feeling.

There is a definite powderiness to this fragrance, which is a good or bad thing depending on each person's personal taste. One review of this fragrance on MakeupAlley, likened Contradiction to the scent of a warm photo-copied sheet. I quite like that description, I think it is very apt and truthful.

I'm on the fence with Contradiction, while I like certain aspects of it, particularly the floral powderiness, the woodsy notes just don't work for me, neither does the lasting power which is relatively poor.

After a while, Contradiction becomes tiring and somewhat generic. The eucalyptus and the odd paper smell, is what keeps this fragrance alive and different. Every now and then it shows some similarities to Armani She.

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

What a glorious rose! I definitely did not expect to find a rose scent of this calibre from such a well-known, mainstream brand. Rose Essentielle is pure loveliness.

Being absolutely perfect for Spring and Summer wear, this is a sweet and slightly powdery take on a pretty, pink rose note. Classy, feminine and smooth, each and every note in this composition works in unison.

With most rose scents, the rose note tends to become too sharp and somewhat tart-like throughout the fragrance's development. In the case of Rose Essentielle, this is not an issue. This fragrance is easy to wear and effortlessly pretty. It's lightness and subtle berry sweetness only adds to its widespread appeal.

Initially this fragrance goes on rather strong, with a rich, jammy rose, highlighted by the berry notes and the violet. After a few hours the scent settles into a delicate, powdery rose, which is thankfully not the soapy kind.

Lady-like, refined and romantic, this fragrance encouraged me to get in touch with my feminine side. The lasting strength is very good, especially for that of such a soft, light fragrance. I can see Rose Essentielle being worn well in every season, both casually and formally. It has just the right amount of realistic roses and complexity to make this fragrance absolutely outstanding.

Omnia Green Jade by Bulgari

I usually detest floral aquatics. They always seem too acidic or too sythetic to my nose. Omnia Green Jade was a nice change, something that if I was given it as a gift, I would definitely wear it every now and then.

Somewhat similar to other fresh, green scents on the market, like Miss Dior Cherie L'eau and Versace Versense, Omnia Green Jade embraces the new, modernistic and very popular Summer scents of today. Although it is nowhere near unique, I do like this fragrance.

Simplistic in its nature, it's nothing out of the ordinary, but it is rather pleasant. Fresh and 'cucumbery' in some ways, it seems like more of a clean, musky and green Spring scent rather than a scent for Summer. Although I have mentioned above that it isn't as synthetic as other floral aquatics, I will mention that there is a subtle green chemical note hidden in the heart, that can be unpleasant when inhaling deeply.

I was only beginning to enjoy this fragrance when it began to fade rather quickly, showing poor signs of longevity. I am somewhat disappointed in the whole Omnia series for this reason alone.

Omnia Amethyste by Bulgari

Omnia Amethyste is a delicate, pretty 'purple' floral. Nothing to rave home about, but pleasant nonetheless.

This fragrance is a powdery and clean take on iris and rose. Not very complex, but I don't think it needs to be. I believe that Omnia Amethyste would make a lovely gift for young girls just starting out in the world of fragrance. It's basic and inoffensive, perfect for those women who seek a somewhat shy scent.

Reacting on my skin like a bouquet of beautifully arranged flowers, Omnia Amethyste, along with it's incredibly appealing bottle, makes me feel like a sweet, innocent Princess from a far-away land. I probably wouldn't want to feel like this everyday, however when worn every now and then, it awakens the girly side in me.

The lasting power isn't very impressive, however I'm not bothered by it in this case. Although very one-dimensional in its composition, Omnia Amethyste is successful in all its simplicity.

Polite yet luxurious, Omnia Amethyste is exquisite, something that I can imagine people noticing and wanting after smelling it on you. Its airiness is quite possibly its most likable quality.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

If you want rich, dark, concentrated tea, look no further, you can't get much more tea-like than this.

I thought I was smelling something by Demeter when I first tried Eau Parfumee au The Rouge. It was tea bags alright, a heady, thick aroma of a cup of tea, minus the milk and sugar.

Due to its strong tea note, it sways more to the masculine side of things, however I'm not saying that women can't wear this too. I'm not a big tea drinker, however I do find the scent somewhat pleasant, rich and energizing in a way.

Eau Parfumee au The Rouge is oriental in some instances, especially with the additives of fig and musk. Despite the fact that this fragrance is encouraged to be worn in the Summer months, I tend not to agree. I do believe that this fragrance could literally become too steamy and cloying in hot weather.

The lasting strength of this fragrance is pretty poor unfortunately, but yet what can you expect from a cologne? Perhaps layering this fragrance with other scents, like I do with Eau Parfumee au The Blanc, could improve its longevity and make it less linear. Either way it's worth a try.

Blu II by Bulgari

Testing BLV Eau de Parfum II for the first time was met with utterances of approval and thoughts along the lines of, "yes, I would definitely wear something like this." I held this fragrance in such high-esteem that when I went to smell it again only a few hours after application, I was horrified to have found it vanished into thin air.

Despite its poor lasting strength, BLV Eau de Parfum II is one of the most unique fragrance releases in the last year or so.

The candied violet when mixed with the rich, licoricey anise and mandarin orange is divine. The opening was both likable and different, being both clean and pretty at the same time.

Unfortunately the scent becomes much softer and more watery as the fragrance develops. The fragrance loses a lot of its concentration, with the patchouli and vetiver being so diluted that they're barely there.

A shame really, seeming that this fragrance had so much promise. The drydown was only slight evidence of its former glory. Musk and tonka bean tended to dominate, but only for a few seconds before this fragrance disappeared completely.

This fragrance was a much improved, more balanced and a heavily powdered version of the original BLV. A pity that this fragrance didn't have the same amount of longevity.

Blu by Bulgari

A friend of mine owns this fragrance, and absolutely detests it. BLV has always made me curious, yet it wasn't until yesterday that I made it my mission to test it.

BLV is very unique, at least in my opinion. My friend tends to like fresh, citrusy scents like D&G Light Blue and Moschino I Love, Love, which this fragrance is not.

BLV is fresh and clean in some ways, however the soapy and citrusy bergamot qualities are balanced and smooth. The ginger comes across rather strongly at first, however the more the scent settles, the softer the scent becomes. Particularly in the heart, the wisteria and flax notes smelt a little powdery.

The drydown tends to veer away from the powdery aspect and becomes much sharper and more woodsy. Just before it fades away, the last impression it gives is that of a lotion-type smell.

The complexity of this fragrance is pleasing. Bvlgari has a way of constructing interesting, inoffensive and delicate Summer scents that really stand out from the other rival brands.

The longevity is commendable, however the scent stays rather close to the skin. This is probably best seeming that powdery ginger and florals don't usually work too well in large, loud doses.

I do like this fragrance, however I preferred it much more in the heart where it was powdery, smooth and creamy. The drydown was a little mediocre for me.

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

I was a little confused at first when I smelt The Beat for Men. I was certain that I'd accidently sprayed a female fragrance instead. The scent was so sweet, with a touch of spice, woods and citrus. I now know that I hadn't been mistaken.

The Beat for Men is not strictly masculine, I would definitely recommend this fragrance to both men and women. I get a lot of sweet, spicy woods, and I like it, a lot.

Like Kevin from the NST blog mentioned, both the female and male versions of The Beat are supposed to represent the 60's era of Rock n' Roll. Well I don't get the booziness or the wildness, however I get a smooth, somewhat delicious scent, that is wonderful for a night out on the town.

So many reviewers are saying that this fragrance is too harsh and too peppery, I find this fragrance more spicy than peppery. Perhaps it is just the way my nose perceives this fragrance. I also get a lot of violet and sweet, juicy fruits.

The sillage of this fragrance is very strong, and the lasting power almost equally as powerful. I have come to the conclusion that The Beat for Men is a love it or hate it scent. Personally, I really like it.

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

The whole raunchy campaign that surrounds this fragrance's release, had me somewhat excited to see what made this fragrance so sexual. Tom Ford for Men is sexy, at least in my opinion, however not to the extent that its advertisement suggests. I won't be posing naked with a bottle of this anytime soon, that's for sure.

The scent is an interesting concoction of smooth woods, spicy sweetness and rich, earthy tobacco and patchouli. Surprisingly, Tom Ford for Men is rather soft on the skin, I expected a much louder fragrance.

Not nearly as citrusy in the opening as one would expect, Tom Ford for Men, is smooth and classy. I am somewhat addicted to smelling this fragrance every few seconds, even though it's not what I'd call particularly outstanding or unique.

There's definitely something very appealing about this fragrance, and there's no way I'd be offended by any man wearing this. In fact I'd be elated if they did.

Tom Ford for Men has a somewhat oily quality that makes me feel as if this fragrance is more concentrated than it is. Every now and then the scent becomes dark and musky, however the honey-like sweetness tends to brighten this fragrance, bringing it up out of its dullness.

While the sillage is fairly intimate, I do rave about the lasting power which is amazing, lasting well into the next day. In some ways, Tom Ford for Men reminds me of BLV pour Homme, especially with the presence of the ginger note. I must say that if you love BLV for Summer, you'd most likely love this fragrance for Winter.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Instead of the chocolate accord in A*Men, B*Men is more focused on the licorice and the spices.

While I love both fragrances, I do believe that B*Men is much more wearable, and a better seller overall. It's a nice combination of sweet and spicy, with a very subtle gourmand feel throughout.

Sexy, a little daring and very Thierry Mugler in its style, B*Men delivers. The incredibly earthy and woodsy drydown may be too much for some, especially those that hate patchouli in large doses, however I enjoyed the drydown the most.

A little does go a long way in regards to wearing B*Men. Like all Thierry Mugler fragrances, the sillage and lasting power never disappoints, in fact it is often so powerful that it leaves you breathless.

The leather note in this fragrance isn't as strong as I expected to be. I guess you could say that it has been overshadowed by the sugar and spices. Although I like this fragrance the way it is, a bit more on the leather side of things would have given this fragrance more of a bite.

It's difficult to sum up this rather complex fragrance in a few words, however if I really had to, B*Men would be defined as a masculine vanilla scent with rich, syrupy woods and licorice accords.

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

Encens Flamboyant is supposed to be the most incensey fragrance in the series, however I'm not feeling it.

This fragrance is much more subtle than Myrrhe Ardente and Ambre Fetiche. Despite its lack of incensey goodness, this fragrance makes up for it with its unique blend of pepper, woods and smoke.

I totally get the 'Christmassy' feel that some reviewers have pointed out. The combination of spice and fir, is like scent recognition for me, it's Christmas in December all over again with every sniff.

In some ways, Encens Flamboyant is musty, but not in a bad way. Its mustiness is what adds to its mystery, like an old, forgotten room, locked up for decades.

Encens Flamboyant often strikes me as being an aromatic, as I sometimes find myself dazing off into space when I casually smell it every now and then.

Although I do find this fragrance unisex, I'm more likely to recommend this fragrance to men more than women, however I haven't managed to pin-point what makes this fragrance more masculine than feminine to my nose.

Being mostly dry, yet occasionally musty and damp, Encens Flamboyant is a very unique fragrance indeed. It is certainly worth checking out, even if you don't think it would be your type of scent. These Les Orientalistes fragrances are masterpieces that will hopefully be sold for many years to come.

Ambre Fétiche by Annick Goutal

Incense is becoming a real love of mine. The more I experience it in fragrances, the more devoted to it I become.

Ambre Fetiche is all about the incense. Not only is it the scent; it's the ash, the smoke and the stuffiness of it all, brought together in one big bottle of harmonious love.

This fragrance is what I had dreamed Ambre Gris by Balmain to smell like. Rich, vanillary, smokey and exotic. It is becoming rather difficult for me to choose between Myrrhe Ardente and this fragrance as my next purchase.

Please don't expect this fragrance to be shy, Ambre Fetiche is the opposite. It wants to be loud and proud. This fragrance is a real head-turner.

The sillage and lasting strength is absolutely incredible. Whoever said that Annick Goutal fragrances don't last, must be mad. Especially during Winter, this fragrance will last, and last and last.

I would find it incredibly difficult to resist any man wearing this fragrance. Hell, I'd find even it difficult to resist myself if I was wearing it too. I feel like such a bad-girl wearing this, and I must say that I like this new-found me.

Do beware that I am one for strong, bold, in-your-face type fragrances, that are not always to people's tastes. The trick is to avoid overdoing the applications. Regardless of whether or not people like Ambre Fetiche, they will absolutely hate it if you go overboard.

Musc Nomade by Annick Goutal

Musk is a note that I am unfortunately anosmic to. Every now and then I capture wafts of it, but as soon as it appears, it's gone again.

Musc Nomade, from what I have managed to smell, is a nice blend of musky woods and milk. It's more soothing than anything else. I would probably wear Musc Nomade as a bed-time scent, as it is something that would keep me feeling snuggly and warm.

This fragrance isn't as spicy or as oriental as I expected it to be. Musc Nomade is the tamest of the four in the Les Orientalistes series, yet no less superior.

Clean and pretty, there's a sense of sensuous silkiness that pleases me greatly. For those that hold Narciso Rodriguez in such high esteem, should experience musk at its very best as it is represented in this fragrance.

I want to say animalic musk, however I refrain from doing so, because while it is sexy, it doesn't seem like the perfect remedy to rouse up the beast inside of us. For that fact alone, Musc Nomade is categorised by me as being a clean, white musk with a touch of woods.

However you perceive this fragrance, you are sure to agree that this is a wonderful interpretation of musk, having a wonderful versatility to be worn by both men and women alike.