Reviews by blood-orange

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

Acqua di Gioia by Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Gioia, if anything, is not really floral. It's more of a fruity aquatic, somewhat strong in its approach.

I loved the original Acqua di Gio, with its delicately feminine and oceanic quality and that beautiful banana note. Acqua di Gioia doesn't have half the beauty of its predecessor.

This fragrance is more like something I would expect as a Summer release from Escada. It's sharp, overpowering, sugary fruit salad. There's no other way to describe it.

Giorgio Armani has made some lovely fragrances, however with this latest release, it feels like they are trying too hard to blend in with those other non-descript fruity florals on the market today.

The lemon and pineapple notes are far too sharp in the opening. I expect to smell something like this when I open a can of fruit salad, not when a spray a bottle of perfume on my skin.

The introduction of the sugar note is almost nauseating. As much as I hate to say it, Acqua di Gioia smells cheap.

I can see that many people like this fragrance, and I don't discriminate against that in the least. Scent is a very personal thing, however in my case this is one of the worst perfumes I've ever encountered.

The sillage and lasting strength of Acqua di Gioia is very, very impressive. For those that buy this, you will be experiencing this fragrance for days and possibly weeks if it comes into contact with your clothes.

14 November, 2011

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

This is possibly one of the most delicious musks I've ever tried. Forget Narciso Rodriguez for Her, Kiehl's simplistic musk takes the cake.

Opening quite feminine and fragile on the skin, Kiehl's Original Musk is a mixture of soapy powder and delicate florals, with only a subtle spiciness underneath it all.

It's sexy in a very clean and crisp sense. I imagine it to be something you'd wear while curled up near a fire on a warm rug next to your lover who whispers sweet love poems into your ear. To put it in basic terms, Original Musk is sexy in a strict, conservative way, that tends to be more romantic than wild or exotic.

There's something somewhat animalistic about musk despite its clean and soapy feel. It blends perfectly with your own natural chemistry, making it very personal and inoffensive. I find it in some ways, highly addictive.

I can be anosmic to musk at times, however in the case of this fragrance, I was able to smell it throughout the duration it stayed on my skin, which was well over six hours.

I'm a little dubious to see this fragrance listed as a unisex fragrance, simply because it's so feminine and subtly sweet on my skin. However I won't rule a man wearing this out of my mind completely, because I haven't had the chance to smell this on a man's skin just yet.

14 November, 2011

L'Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo pour Homme by Kenzo

Both this fragrance and its counterpart, L'eau par Kenzo eau Indigo pour Femme, which I own and love, have some distinctive similarities.

Obviously the masculine version is much crisper, with an interesting spiciness. The powdery aspect is quite prominent, however I absolutely adore this quality in a men's fragrance. You don't find many powdery colognes these days.

I read somewhere that this fragrance is a much more complex version of the female scent, however I tend to disagree. L'eau par Kenzo eau Indigo pour Homme is spiced powder, whereas L'eau par Kenzo eau Indigo pour Femme is rich, plum-scented powder.

Regardless of the two fragrance's comparison, L'eau par Kenzo eau Indigo pour Homme stands out in its own unique way. There is something so very sensual about this fragrance, mysterious almost.

The lasting power is good, however the sillage is rather meek and mild. Not that this bothers me in the slightest. I do think that if this fragrance was overpowering it would lose most of its appeal.

D&G Le Bateleur 1 by Dolce & Gabbana

I would go so far to say that Le Bateleur 1 is the most masculine in the Anthology series.

Opening rather strong, with somewhat bitter herbs and sharp citrus, such intensity is usually found in men's cologne. Not to say that women can't wear this, I do see this as more of a masculine fragrance, something that a woman may struggle to wear.

The cedar note tends to dominate in this fragrance, like a freshly timbered forest. Amidst this interesting blend are subtle spices and oceanic saltiness.

Le Bateleur 1 isn't particularly subdued, with its sillage quite overbearing, especially when over-applied. There are elements of this fragrance that draws some resemblance to Escape for Men by Calvin Klein.

I don't refer to this fragrance as being anything even remotely sexy, however I find the scent itself somewhat refreshing and relaxing. I'd possibly place this fragrance in a casual, 'outdoorsy' category.

Since having discovered every single fragrance in the Anthology line, I find that each and every one of their fragrances demand an acquired taste. Le Bateleur 1 is possibly the hardest fragrance in the series to like, but the one most likely to grow on you.

D&G La Roue de la Fortune 10 by Dolce & Gabbana

This is definitely my favourite from the Anthology series. I agree that it does tend to smell a little like a Thierry Mugler creation or a less powdery Ange ou Demon.

I was surprised by how feminine this fragrance actually is. I had been under the illusion that the blue and green bottles were aimed towards the male consumers.

This fragrance is not as feminine as La Lune and L'imperatrice, however due to the rather strong white florals and syrupy vanilla, La Roue de La Fortune, does seem more suited to females.

I had distinguished this fragrance first off by its sweet, juicy mandarin orange opening. However the light, juicyness of it all didn't last long before rich white florals and delicious, almost edible vanilla took the spotlight.

Patchouli, like it does in Thierry Mugler's Angel, prevents the vanilla from becoming too sweet in the drydown, creating a balanced definition between masculine and feminine. Perhaps on a man's skin, the patchouli would dominate, therefore eliminating much of the sweet accords.

The lasting strength is fantastic, as can also be said for the sillage, which manages to leave a sensual aura. In my opinion, this fragrance is one step up from the vanillary gourmands loved by young girls in particular.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

It is indeed true that Chanel has not taken many risks in this latest creation, but with that being said, the way in which Bleu de Chanel has embraced the traditional qualities found in some of the best-selling colognes over the last few decades, is very appealing.

This fragrance reminds me a little of Davidoff's Cool Water, a less fresh and much darker version of it. The scent is strong, certainly something that will cause a few heads to turn. Despite its lack of innovation, Bleu de Chanel didn't have me disappointed for long.

I would definitely enjoy smelling this on a man. It comes across as being rather clean, soapy almost. The freshness is complimented by an interesting earthy herbaceousness.

The ginger gives this fragrance character, something that people will either love or hate. In reference to the ginger note, Bleu de Chanel also has some similarities to the lovely BLV pour Homme.

Bleu de Chanel is in one word, classic. The way in which the citrus top notes counteract with the woodsiness in the drydown is commendable. With marvellous lasting strength and moderate to strong sillage, Bleu de Chanel, in my opinion, is well worth the purchase.

Rose Barbare by Guerlain

I'm not normally a rose person. It came as quite a surprise when I had decided to order a whole bunch of samples so that I might find the perfect rose fragrance. I was interested to see what an expensive, exclusive and somewhat niche rose fragrance, such as Rose Barbare, would do for me.

Guerlain has managed to create something that stands out in a crowd of rose perfumes lining our department store counters. On paper, Rose Barbare seems cold and metallic, watery in a sense with delicate rose petals, mostly white.

When applied to the skin, Rose Barbare becomes much more characteristic. I still sense an element of watery-ness, however the rose seems more natural this way. It's a much darker, redder rose than on paper.

The honey sweetens this fragrance considerably, with the spices providing an interesting balance. I enjoy the depth that this fragrance has.

When first applied, Rose Barbare smelt a little like turkish delight, so I certainly got the gourmand reference straight away. However once settled, the sugary tartness softens, making way for an incredibly feminine and natural rose concoction, which is rich in some ways, but not particularly warming.

Rose Barbare strikes me as more of a Spring scent, the cold weather doesn't seem to highlight its beauty. It makes me think of pretty pink dresses and tea parties.

My above statement leads me to question why Rose Barbare is not barbaric, wild and uncivilised like its name suggests. I get an edible rose with a somewhat refined nature. There's no dirty innuendos or rankness to be found here I'm afraid.

The sillage of Rose Barbare is very intimate, sometimes there are moments when I can't smell it at all. Lasting power is so-so. For an ordinary fragrance, I would be impressed, yet by something arising, like this fragrance does, from a big house like Guerlain with such a price tag, I'm a little disappointed.

The quality is commendable, however the longevity left me lusting for more.

Dioressence by Christian Dior

Dioressence is green, powdery love. I'm a young woman and I really like this fragrance.

The opening is quite strong and chemical in a sense. Dioressence establishes the earthy greeness in the top notes, which is then followed by intense aldehydes and delicate fruits.

The heart makes way for the introduction of beautiful floral accords, mostly white florals, and sweet yet spicy cinnamon. The combination is almost heavenly.

I curse those that call Dioressence 'old lady'. I've never heard such nonsense in all my life. This may be the most recent re-formulated version, however I don't find this fragrance unpleasant in the slightest. The original may have been better, but the most current version still has avid fans.

The drydown is deliciously soft and somewhat sweet. Vanilla is the highlight here, with the patchouli, vetiver, oakmoss and musk creating an atmosphere behind it all.

The lasting power is wonderfully good, however the sillage is quite soft. I like this aspect, as it makes Dioressence quite mysterious. I often wonder why Dioressence is one of Dior's most overlooked fragrances. It's a pity that releases like the Poison series and Miss Dior Cherie tend to shadow some of Dior's earlier masterpieces.

Oud 27 by Le Labo

Oud is a note that is relatively new to me. As I strolled through the department store, I noticed Oud 27 and thought that it would be the perfect moment to experience oud, which is either a love it or hate it.

Oud 27 opened quite strong and edgy, however despite its rather loud entrance, I sensed that I was falling in love already.

In my words, Oud 27 smells like rich, resinous woods with a touch of spicy earthiness and fragrant smoke. It's not your typical run-of-the-mill type scent, it is very unique and sits more on the masculine side of things.

I'm a girly-girl, however I love wearing this. The scent makes me feel in control and sexy, in a bad-girl way.

This fragrance has a somewhat leathery feel, which reminds me of Bandit by Robert Piguet, however I wouldn't say that they are very alike in scent. There really isn't anything like it.

The earthiness does create an almost dirty feel, which can be off-putting for some. Oud 27 is very raw and I would say, shocking. It actually smells a little bit like sex.

I adore Le Labo's Oud 27. It is absolute perfection to my nose. The amazing lasting strength and sillage only adds to this fragrance's impressiveness.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a bottle of this sitting on my dresser very soon.

Pi Neo by Givenchy

Pi Neo is like a fresher, more woodsy and less syrupy version of the original Pi.

I find this fragrance much more wearable, and dare I say, much more unisex. Keeping with the futuristic idea, Pi Neo has sparkling citric notes and balanced, fresh woodsiness.

I am particularly intrigued by this fragrance, even though it isn't what I'd call unique. This isn't really sexy, in my opinion it's a nice, cuddly and casual fragrance.

It also has a rather clean feel to it, but not in a soapy or powdery sense of the word. I find the overall composition very refreshing, and certainly lovely on the right skin type.

The ice-blue colour of the bottle actually represents the scent well. I find the scent rather chilling and icy. There is definitely less vanilla is this fragrance when compared to its predecessor.

The lasting strength of Pi Neo is pretty good, however the sillage is quite intimate, meaning that it doesn't project strongly.

Despite my obvious preference for Pi Neo over the original Pi, I do believe that those that love the original will most likely like this, even use it as a Summer version.

Pi by Givenchy

I'll start by saying that I'm the kind of girl that likes natural smells, particularly scents like tobacco, cedar, smoke and leather on her men. Occasionally I enjoy some sweet colognes, but it is very rare when I do.

Pi is a little too sweet in my opinion. To my nose, it smells like caramelised vanilla and musk.

I am somewhat disappointed seeming that so many women on the forum rave about this particular fragrance on their partners. I can appreciate the scent for what it is, but I can't say, from a female's perspective, that I find it very appealing.

It's almost gourmand in its approach. Perhaps it is a masculine version of Tocade by Rochas. Whatever it reminds me of, it makes a good choice for wear in the colder months due to its vanillary warmth.

I'm surprised to see its release date as being 1998, I would have thought it was a much more modern release, at least something brought about in the last few years. However I understand that the whole concept is supposed to be futuristic.

Pi is very much open to personal opinion. You'll either love it or hate it. I don't detest it, nor would I run from it, however I wouldn't run towards its wearer either

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre d'Hermes is certainly a very interesting scent with many dimensions. I get a lot of woods, but also a lot of earthiness as well from smelling this.

In the opening, you could well say that the composition is rather harsh and strong. I was hit with a masculine take on sour citrus and pepper.

As it settled, Terre d'Hermes became much more likable. A deliciously spicy earthiness can be found with a somewhat resinous cedar scent taking centre stage. Patchouli isn't too strong in this fragrance, I find it to be only very subtle.

Once I reached the drydown I became slightly disappointed, because all that had made this fragrance different, had developed into a rather predictable, woodsy base. This fragrance lacked persistence and diversity for me.

Terre d'Hermes is very masculine, however a very daring woman could pull this off also. I read somewhere that someone described this fragrance as being 'outdoorsy', and I'll agree whole-heartedly with this statement. The scent makes me think of the outback, cowboys and dry deserts.

The lasting strength and sillage is very impressive for an EDT, and in some instances, while this fragrance didn't rock my boat, I do believe that most females will adore this fragrance on their man.

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Being such a favourite of many celebrities including, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Jessica Simpson, the late Brittany Murphy, Ashlee Simpson, Fergie and Nicole Kidman, I felt it was a need to order a sample of this fragrance to see what all the fuss was about.

Vanille Abricot is sweet and vanillary. What you would most likely expect. If you adore the scent of apricots, sweet and juicy on the skin, Vanille Abricot is for you. Unfortunately, despite the fact that I understand all the hype surrounding this particular fragrance, apricot is a note that I find far too sickeningly sweet, even when combined into cooking. The thought of apricot chicken makes me cringe.

There is something very feminine and pretty about this fragrance, however I wouldn't call this sexy, unless a girl in pig-tails, eating an icecream is your definition of sexy.

The scent is very strong, so I'd recommend applying it sparingly or walking through the mist. I made the mistake of applying too liberally when I first received the sample, and almost gagging for the rest of the day.

I agree with the 'walking bakery' references, it does have a very gourmand feel, however to me Vanille Abricot smells more like vanilla icecream balls on freshly sliced apricot.

Hollywood must be very much influenced by sweeter scents, hence the reason why celebrities themselves release such sweet scents. I'm surprised that Comptoir Sud Pacifique hasn't managed to hit my shores in Australia yet. It's such a popular brand all over the world.

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal

An iris fragrance in my mind, and based upon what I've experienced, is often counteracted with a distinguishable soapiness, heavy powder or an array of other floral notes. Heure Exquise is very different from what I'm used to. This is no Iris Nobile, Le Labo Iris 39 or Chanel 28 La Pausa.

I was actually surprised to see iris listed as a note here. When I first smelt this fragrance the dominant iris did not occur to me. I was too fascinated with the overall composition rather than determining particular notes.

Upon further reflection, Heure Exquise does have a lovely iris accord. This fragrance is stunningly simple. Somewhat dry, spiced powder with smokey undertones.

To me this fragrance is almost animalistic. It has many sensual qualities and it exudes confidence and an element of class. When the iris blends with the turkish rose, sandalwood and subtle spices, the result is almost ethereal.

Heure Exquise almost surpasses my undying love for Passion, also by Annick Goutal. Combined with great lasting power and an iris that shines above and beyond many iris scents on the market today, Heure Exquise is a sure winner in my eyes.

I cannot wait to get my hands on a bottle. The wait is almost too hard to bare.

Gardénia Passion by Annick Goutal

I was reading Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez's opinions regarding Gardenia Passion before I went into reviewing this fragrance. They mentioned that Annick Goutal was not fond of gardenias, hence the reason as to why this fragrance is more tuberose than anything else.

I'll sum up Gardenia Passion as being a rather loud, yet beautiful white floral. I remember the moment when I first tried this fragrance some years ago. I was so very repulsed by it all. I found it much too strong, and in some ways bitter. I also felt the same way about Fracas then.

Currently I'm an avid lover of white florals, especially when they've been constructed well and come minus the synthetic components. Gardenia Passion smells natural and real to me. Almost perfection in a way. While Fracas is too buttery for my tastes, Gardenia Passion is like traipsing through a florist's shop and inhaling various floral aromas.

Gardenia Passion is rich and powdery once settled. Believe it or not, this fragrance smells absolutely divine on smokers. Despite the belief that white florals smell like 'old ladies', Gardenia Passion does not fuel this idea and instead comes across as being very seductive and elegant on the skin.

I absolutely love Passion by Annick Goutal, and in some ways Gardenia Passion is a more floral and less earthy and/or incensey version.

Despite its tendency to be rather strong, Gardenia Passion is never cloying. It has that real classic appeal, something that screams sophistication and femininity. I might also add that the lasting strength is impressive, especially for that of an EDT.

Eau de Camille by Annick Goutal

Annick Goutal fragrances are like heaven to me. There is something so distinguishably old-fashioned and classic about them, particularly the more feminine creations from this line.

Eau de Camille is a beautiful, delicate floral with green undertones. The greeness in this fragrance is neither harsh nor bitter. It's more of a subtle grassy-ness more than anything else. A very crisp and Summery scent.

The jasmine and honeysuckle are really pretty. After an hour or so, the floral blend becomes quite clean and soapy, making it an excellent choice for those that enjoy their florals soft and refreshing.

Eau de Camille has been created with love. The perfect gift from a mother to her daughter. There is such a strong sense of purity and child-like innocence conveyed through the composition.

I was amazed at how well this fragrance lasted on the skin, especially for that of an EDT. I usually prefer the EDPs for longevity, however in this particular case the EDT suited me fine.

Honestly I prefer Annick Goutal's louder scents, however I have come to appreciate all her fragrances, and if I had the money, I would most definitely buy them all.

Like some have already mentioned, if strong honeysuckle is what you're after I'd tend to lean more on Le Chevrefeuille for my honeysuckle fix, however for something lighter and prettier, Eau de Camille is perfection.

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

When in search of a Summer scent, the contents of these sea-blue bottles seem to be just what you've been looking for.

I almost wrote off Cipresso di Toscana based upon the opening, which to my nose was a typical citrusy lemon and grapefruit fragrance with not much depth. However once settled, this fragrance transformed into something in which its beauty is difficult to describe.

The scent is warm, somewhat herbaceous, sweet, soothing and woodsy. The citruses vanish in a matter of seconds when applied to the skin, making way for a beautiful blend of lavendar, pine, jasmine, cypress and patchouli.

Cipresso di Toscana is distinctively unisex, there is a definite ability for this to wear well on both men and women. Some say that this fragrance reminds them of nature and the Mediterranean. I've personally never ventured there, however I do feel as if this fragrance transports me to a picturesque island covered in pine trees, exotic flora and surrounded by clear, sparkling blue seas.

I find this fragrance to be very complex, hence the reason why I enjoy it so much. The absence of harsh citrus and strong fruity accords, places this fragrance in a unique category for a Summer scent.

This fragrance lasted a great while on my skin, and not for one second did I consider this fragrance too masculine for my tastes

Something About Sofia by Benefit

This is my favourite out of the three, however it is very sweet. I also think that this is the girliest of them all.

The mango, vanilla and lily hits you almost immediately. The fragrance is well blended, however everything is sugar-coated, sweet and pink. It reminded me of a more grown-up, less candied version of Kylie Minogue's Showtime.

I'm almost defining this fragrance as a gourmand, however I'm hesitant to do so due to its floral aspect. Despite the prominent vanilla, mango and caramel notes, I can't say that it smells particularly edible. The combination of syrupy sweetness and fresh flowers sprinkled with icing sugar, makes for a very interesting sweet floral.

In the opening Something about Sofia smells very much like bubblegum, however the more it settles, it becomes a delightfully sweet bouquet of fresh blossoms. Very light and pleasant.

The lasting power is moderate. A little better for wear than the other fragrances in this series.

My Place Or Yours Gina by Benefit

As one could suggest with the provocative name, My place or yours Gina is supposed to be the most seductive of the series.

I wouldn't call it a femme fatal, however I do find it very intriguing and in some ways, sensual.

My place or yours Gina tends to be all about the fruits. When I first smelt this I immediately thought dark, juicy black currant, tangerine and a touch of spice. The fruity notes are not lively or refreshing, they are somewhat dark and brooding. More like a fruity scent for night-time wear.

Vanilla and patchouli smooths out the scent nicely, adding a somewhat earthy, sweet component to the already rich and tart-like fruits.

If we must refer to this fragrance as being sexy, it's sexy in a conservative sense. Not nearly as wild as some may expect. I actually define all of the fragrances in this series as being slightly old-fashioned, like something one would wear way back in the 40's and 50's.

Although My place of yours Gina has been intended for a more mature crowd, I do believe that young girls will lap this fragrance up. Dark fruity scents seem to be all the rage these days.

Laugh With Me Lee Lee by Benefit

Many people here in Australia constantly rave about these quaint yet inexpensive fragrances by Benefit. The truth is they're cute, girly and interesting - far from being cheap and repulsive, and they're best sellers, particularly here on my side of the world.

Laugh with me Lee Lee is a delicate woody floral with smooth fruity undertones. The scent tends to be quite lush and very pretty on the skin with the melon providing a slight watery-ness that goes down a treat.

The overall composition is rather pale and inoffensive, being a very quiet and light-hearted fragrance. Towards the heart, especially with the immergence of the jasmine and lily, Laugh with me Lee Lee becomes quite buttery and smooth, with the sandalwood enveloping the floral notes.

Many say that this is a lovely Summer scent, however I find that this fragrance could wear well all year round. I'm a huge fan of the packaging. The quaint, little ceramic bottles, shaped like cocktail shakers are absolutely adorable. I find the whole concept endearing.

The lasting strength is unfortunately the only let-down. I wanted the playfulness of this scent to last just that little bit longer.

Chloé Eau de Parfum Intense by Chloé

Chloe Intense, is a stronger yet not so different version of the original Chloe.

If I had to describe the scent, Chloe Intense is an old-fashioned bar of rose scented soap or that refreshing and homely smell of freshly washed linen.

This is a rose scent that has been emulated and ultimately popular for many years. Despite its very feminine and somewhat classic appeal, Chloe Intense cannot seem to capture me or make me fall in love with it.

It has a strange fizzy quality in the opening that actually makes me sneeze. After that momentary allergy, I become almost anosmic to the fragrance. An hour later, once settled, I can smell the prominent soapy rose which doesn't develop much further from this.

Chloe Intense is a pretty, one-sided fragrance, that appears to be too conservative and too lady-like for my personal tastes. I did, however enjoy wearing this fragrance for the duration that it lasted, which was well over six hours. I don't think I'll be re-visiting this one again though.

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum by Paloma Picasso

I think it may have been the bottle design that had me running in the opposite direction for many years due to its very 80's style. Now that I'm older I've found some great respect for those classic 80's fragrances, so as would be expected, Paloma Picasso was on my list of scents to try.

If you like heavy fragrances like Dior's Poison, CK's Obsession or Jean Patou's Joy, this could quite possibly be in your collection already.

Paloma Picasso is one of those rich, heady, potent florals. Although dated, this fragrance has sex appeal. In a way it's a power scent, something that one can spritz on and instantly feel in control and defined.

I'll agree that this is not a fragrance for young girls or the light of heart, Paloma Picasso suits a woman with guts. The dryness, an element from its chypre quality, makes this fragrance all the more likable and all the more mature.

This fragrance is a sillage monster, there is no doubt about it. It screams, "I'm here, I'm proud, I'm wild and I'm a real woman."

Paloma Picasso is a scent that piques your curiousity. I am still discovering this fragrance with its many layers and complexities. If this re-formulated version is supposed to be less complex than the original, I can only dream of how wonderful the pre-formulated Paloma Picasso must have been.

Incense Rosé by Tauer

Incense Rose is an absolute treat. It's a rather rich, smokey take on the scent of incense and rose, with a touch of strong, resinous cedar and amber.

I'll start by saying that Incense Rose can be unisex. The intense woodsy notes makes this perfect for men due to its somewhat masculine qualities.

This fragrance does tend to be cloying, however I like my scents strong and powerful. From the very opening, Incense Rose hits you with its massive sillage.

The top notes are mostly a mixture of intense earthiness, fruity clementine and tart-like rose. As it settles, the earthiness takes on a rather green-like approach, almost mossy in a sense, and the incense appears.

The incense is of the burning kind. Smokey, exotic and smooth. When placed alongside the rose note, the incense blends well, creating an atmosphere that does remind me of a bohemian trinket shop.

I'm a rather creative type of person, very much influenced by art, theatre and music. Therefore I feel as if Incense Rose captures this side of me perfectly. Richly exotic and heady scents describe my career industry well, especially the wild side of it.

Both this fragrance and Heeley's Cardinal have some similarities, however I much prefer Incense Rose for its feminine nature.

For those that love incense, you will most likely enjoy this, however for those that are rose lovers, this may or may not appeal to you. Regardless of your tastes, this fragrance should be tried.

Sublime Balkiss by Different Company

Sublime Balkiss has brought tears to my eyes, tears of joy. I applied this to my wrist, and the moment I inhaled, I was transported back to when I was 13 and saying goodbye to the first boy I ever loved.

It was a strange occurrence that took a while for me to figure out. Back then I wore a deoderant called Moon Grass by a brand, Impulse. It broke my heart when they discontinued it because I no longer had a scent to remember him by. Seven years on, I've remembered him once again.

Sublime Balkiss is green and refreshing, with a subtle fizzyness. The berries are wonderful and very unique, as is the herbaceously green quality of the scent as it settles on the skin.

This is a somewhat odd fruity scent, almost alien in nature. I'm quite excited for Spring and Summer which will allow me to test this fragrance in a different environment.

While fruity, earthy and slightly floral, Sublime Balkiss gives me a clean sensation. A sense of purity and happiness.

As this fragrance dries down, lily of the valley and wet, earthy patchouli becomes more prominent. Like the other reviewers here, I unfortunately didn't sense the leather note.

I agree strongly with other reviewers who have stated, although "Sublime Balkiss is classified as a chypre - it is more of an aquatic floral". It indeed has a slight watery feel that is very obvious to my nose.

The lasting power and sillage are very good and I'm actually very impressed with Celine Ellena's brand and composition. I'm eager to test more from The Different Company in the future.

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Jasmine, is without a doubt one of my favourite scents. Especially when it has been freshly cut from the tree and placed in a vase. Many jasmine-based fragrances tend to add too many other components that ultimately destroy this fresh and delightful scent. Sarrasins, is in my opinion, the closest I have found to that true jasmine smell.

Opening as a rich, monster of a jasmine with a touch of sweetness, Sarrasins is by far one of the loudest florals I've ever encountered. While bright and fresh, Sarrasins tends to have a somewhat dark feel to it, almost in a gothic sense.

To my nose, Sarrasins isn't particularly modern, it has an old-fashioned and nostalgic presence. I see a mysterious woman, dressed in dark colours, with long, flowing hair, sending wafts of Sarrasins around her in a haze.

Despite Sarrasins darkness, it does have some brighter moments, especially with the introduction of the musk which softens the overall scent.

For some, the jasmine in Sarrasins may be too sweet and realistic. I personally love this fragrance, however it is a far cry from the creamy white florals that I'm used to.

The lasting strength is superb, as can be said for the sillage as well. For those that like me sought to find the perfect jasmine fragrance, Sarrasins is one that mustn't be ignored because of its price and availability.

Lolita Lempicka Fleur Défendue / Forbidden Flower by Lolita Lempicka

It is very difficult to resist going ahead and purchasing a bottle like this based upon the design rather than the scent itself. Lolita Lempicka has a way of transporting me to fairy-land by simply holding these exquisite bottles in the palm of my hand.

Fleur Defendue, as translated in english to Forbidden Flower, is a not so distant sister of the original Lolita Lempicka. While this fragrance is not so gourmand in the sense that Lolita Lempicka EDP was, the additives of cherry, absinthe and almond create a scent that is more rich than foody.

Opening with a very distinctive lotion smell, Fleur Defendue has only a suble hint of cherry and peony. It tends to be a rather clean scent, like something you'd imagine wearing in the warmer months or straight after a shower.

It takes quite a while for this fragrance to develop further, however when it does, the cherry becomes much more prominent and the almond makes an interesting entrance. The heart takes on a powdery-like quality that is very different from the lotion smell we were introduced to before-hand.

While I was not overly impressed by Fleur Defendue the first time I wore it, I found that it has a tendency to grow on you, and by the end of my sample, I was seriously considering buying myself a full bottle.

Fleur Defendue sits in the middle of being generic and unique. It is neither one, yet it would probably have many people asking what it is you're wearing. The lasting power is so-so. It's wearing relatively well six hours after application, however from there on it tends to soften considerably.

I was content with my sample of this, however I don't seem to be missing it so much now that it's all gone. The bottle design is the only thing that warrants a purchase for me.

Forest Rain by Kiehl's

It was the name that urged me to buy a sample of Forest Rain. It sounded so lush and green that I couldn't possibly resist the temptation. Forest Rain turned out to be all that I expected and more.

The moment I applied Forest Rain to my wrist, I exclaimed with deep satisfication, "yum!" To my nose it's a combination of musky greeness, a dew-like sweetness and an elaborate bouquet of big, white lillies.

I feel very feminine and pretty while wearing this, however it has an interesting warmth once settled, that makes me feel very in touch with the earth, somewhat like a hippy. It exudes this strange bohemian aura, and while I'm not very bohemian myself, it awakens the creativeness in me.

The scent tends to envelope you, it becomes you. I can't imagine this fragrance offending anyone. From a distance Forest Rain smells clean and soapy. This fragrance actually reminds me of Spring.

The sillage and lasting strength are amazing. I was so enraptured by this fragrance that I added it to my wishlist in a matter of seconds, without even waiting for the development.

Although I recommend this fragrance for Spring and Summer, I'm currently wearing Forest Rain on a cold and rainy Winter's day and it wears considerably well in such weather.

Cardinal by Heeley

Incense, especially the dark, atmospheric kind, has been a rather new interest for me. Since falling in love with Chanel Coromandel, I have been so eager to find other well-done incense based fragrances.

Cardinal by Heeley has been suggested a few times as being true church incense. I'm not a big church-goer, however I do love the smell of a chapel full of smokey incense and mustiness.

Cardinal opens rather strongly and masculine, with a somewhat dirty earthiness coming to the fore. Pepper, patchouli and vetiver tend to stand out on my skin the most. The aldehydes provide a smoothness in texture and smell, which is both intriguing and a little strange.

I was a little disappointed that the incense didn't seem to feature so readily in the first hour or so. However the more the fragrance settled, the less green and earthy it was and the smokier it became.

I can understand how some see the sweetness here, however it's more of a dusty and resinous cedar chest smell to me, with that delightful incensey goodness.

This fragrance does however sit lightly on my skin, without making its strong presence known. I'm actually anosmic to this fragrance at times, which is woeful.

Cardinal tends to lean on the more masculine side of things, however a woman that enjoys wearing rich woodsy or primarily patchouli and vetiver based scents will enjoy this.

I can't say that this is my favourite incense fragrance, however it was extremely enjoyable, nonetheless.

Pink Sparkle by Kylie Minogue

All of Kylie Minogue's fragrances left me either unimpressed or repulsed. Pink Sparkle is different.

This fragrance is neither original or particularly outstanding, however it is very pleasant and certainly wearable. At present I'm sitting at my desk with a glass of pink champagne to my right. I am not surprised to see a champagne note listed here seeming that Pink Sparkle has a somewhat fizzy and rich grape accord.

Although a fruity floral, Pink Sparkle tends to be more on the floral side. The peach is truly lovely in this fragrance. It is feminine and light and definitely not overdone like some peachy scents on the market today. However I do love peach in almost any scent.

The white florals are absolutely delightful in Pink Sparkle. This fragrance strikes me as something very feminine and clean because of them. I also feel that this fragrance represents the real Kylie realistically. Fragrances like Showtime and Couture were scents that I couldn't imagine her wearing in any circumstance due to their overly sweetened and childish nature.

Pink Sparkle is grown-up and inoffensive. It doesn't need to be loud to make a statement. Pink Sparkle is a fragrance that everyone will find themselves liking to some extent, guaranteed.

04 September, 2011

Antaeus by Chanel

It was somewhat strange when I first smelt Antaeus, it was like an almost masculine version of Chanel No.19. There was an undeniable bitter greeness that caught my nose almost immediately which was then followed by a rich, slightly sweet woodsiness with an odd leathery note.

I guess if you're daring enough, Antaeus can be unisex, however I feel a strong sense of masculinity being portrayed here that deters me from trying this on myself.

While I disliked Chanel No.19, Antaeus is pure love for me. Perhaps it's the lavender, the delicious herbaceousness and the earthy, rich patchouli that captures me. Antaeus is for the older, sensible man in my opinion. Men around my own age seem better suited to those lively citrus scents and gutsy sweet colognes. Antaeus is essentially a man who has discovered his clasically charming side.

Antaeus doesn't strike you as sexy fragrance when you first apply, however the more it develops, the more sensual and alluring it becomes. The scent is crisp and spicy with this comforting warmth that is both magnetic and soothing.

The sillage is very 80's, strong and lasting. I do believe that part of this fragrance's success has been its high quality ingredients and its ability to last on the skin the whole day.

04 September, 2011