Reviews by PigeonMurderer

Eau des Îles by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

To my suprise the first thing I thought was Oscar de la Renta`s Pour Lui. Not bad association at all, but I was expecting something different.
    Coffee?? You got to be joking. Patchouli engaged with vetiver, getting some company from some floral notes. That`s more like it.
    Dry and bitter, admirable but hardly wearable.

11th October, 2006

Mans by Gai Mattiolo

I must admit that rareness of this scent makes it even more pleasurable for me, as it brings the certain intimate feel to it.
    Quite an amazing situation actually : It seems that I`m truly the one and only person at the Basenotes who wears this scent!

I love it, I absolutely love this fragrance. It has something unexplainable power which I find extremely compelling. I`d say this isn`t very much of a rich, deep or complex type of a fragrance. It is just...capturing.

Made by Maurice Roucel by himself, this scent is a weird and unique citrus/floral blend. I don`t know anything like it, but if I should give you a clue, think of something in between Fahrenheit and Moschino Uomo and you just might get a slight taste of it.

GM Mans starts off with crispy bergamot flood with very clear synthetic vibe. This isn`t a problem with me, because I love scents with synthetic nuances. This one reminds me of a captivating smell of a floor wax.

This isn`t a scent with great projection : Those bergamot and synth notes remain through this fragrance in obvious fashion, only getting some company from violets, apples, sweet ginger and cool, airy type of musks. Perhaps a gentle touch of woods at the bottom, although this is definitely not a woody fragrance by any means.
    Lasting power is completely flawless on me; 10 hours can be reached quite easily.

I don`t know what Mr. Roucel was thinking when he made this fragrance. And still, I have a great reason to be thanfull to him for the rest of my life,
    giving me this personal fragrance. The only downside with the lack of popularity is the danger of discontinuing. So I must stock this heavenly juice well. Don`t never wanna loose these spritzes, because there is not too many fragrances that have a quality to take me away...to somewhere better.

23 September, 2006

Time for Peace for Him by Kenzo

Soft, gentle, muted, hushed. I take this beauty of a shiness inside of me.

11th December, 2005

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain

Fantastic voyage, this.

11th December, 2005

Petit Guerlain (original) by Guerlain

I thought I`ll give this scent a general view here, because I know some of you are intersted about it, and it`s a quite rare scent anyway.

This scent was created in 1994, by Jean-Paul Guerlain himself, with additional co-work help from Olivia Giacobetti. This is originally a baby/children perfume, and it has two different versions: Eau de Senteur (non-alcoholic) and Eau de Toilette (30% alc.)
    I own EdT.

Although it is originally marketed as a children`s fragrance, it is very interesting to see that Mr. Michael Edwadrs considers this as an unisex-fragrance - for adults, that is. Yes, it is listed even on the masculine side in his recommendation table, which I find very strange and fascinating.

I bought this scent about six months ago, just thinking it would be interesting scent, and also quite different what I`ve become use to. And to be honest, I didn`t like it first that much, but now I`ve grown to love it.

First, I thought my juice has something wrong, because the juice is quite different from the usual stuff: It`s a bit "foamy" and cream-like. But, today I know it`s just because this scent is, after all, originally made for kids, and because it has different kind of structure.

Strangely, this scent starts with very "perfume-ish" smell: It`s strong, and it kind of reminds me of some classical womens fragrance. Still, from the very first moment it doesn`t really feel like anything regular.

That sharp top fades quicly, and the scent starts to settle down. Floral notes are obvious, mimosa is definetely there. Actually, to me this is very much mimosa based fragrance. And I can`t detect any citrus, although there are claimed to be some.
    Besides mimosa, and perhaps some other soft flower, this scent is predominated by these very odd, very srtangely captivating "child/baby notes". Think baby-oil mixed with rapeseed oil and a dash of pure animal fat, and you`ll get the picture. It`s very strange smell, and it definitely leads me to the losted memories of childhood; it`s so weirdly familiar, but I just cannot put my finger on it exactly. Petit also has this baby-like note (yes, the smell of a baby!), which is obvious and IMO very much weird to experience.

After the initial burst this scent seems to fade rather quickly from the skin, but it shows up to be very much false prediction: It`s almost frightening how well this scent lingers on skin, how long it lasts, to consider this scent`s charachter.
    And, this is the scent, which I can detect from many hours after application, often much better than scents which are consumed to be stronger with huge sillages. I guess it`s just because it`s such a odd scent, that it hits my nose very obviously.
    It lasts overall about the whole day, and to be honest, it can be quite disturbing. This is the scent which at it`s best calms me the most, but sometimes it makes me really nervous - Partially just because I can detect it so well, so long time.

It wears close to skin, doesn`t have that much of sillage, but still it`s so clearly there. Late hour drydown seems to make this scent even better, and to me this is suprisingly complex scent with smooth developing quality.

I don`t wear this so often, and almost only during the spring/summer. I haven`t got any comments, but I am hunread percent sure that if someone smells this scent on me, it will leave him/her wondering, even confused. This scent is anything like you would expect to smell on adult man like me. Perhaps, that`s the main reason I love this scent, among it`s stunningly soothing qualities.

Finally, let me quote perfumeworld - the site I truly admire. This description is very accurate imo. See the strange, and completely unique notes; fatty and baby (!)

Petit Guerlain (Baby/Children) : Picture 1994 Guerlain(L.V.M.H.) France

Olfactive family:Fresh Natural

Olfactive description:Citrus Fruity Fatty Floral Spicy Powdery Baby

11th December, 2005 (Last Edited: 12 October, 2006)