Reviews by killerloop

killerloop's avatar
    killerloop

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Originally purchased decants for myself but this just fits perfectly on my lady. I can't get enough of it on her! This is what I call a divine vanilla experience. Gets the motor running.

28 March, 2013

Invasion Barbare / SB by MDCI

The best and worst thing I could have done was pick up a healthy sized sample of Invasion Barbare. This stuff is just that damn good, extremely smooth. Rive Gauche comes to mind but minus the star anise (which gets a bit much for me at times). With IB and its composition, I don't think I could ever get enough of smelling it. It's still kicking pretty firmly 4 hours in to wearing and it doesn't seem like it's letting up any time soon. I'd imagine this will run its course 8 hours and probably stay close to skin thereafter.

The price point on this bad-boy makes it possibly one of the worst things I could do, by picking up a sample. It's a must have for my collection but something I wouldn't be able to add a full bottle of for some time (if ever). This will have to be reserved for those occasions and special times for me to enjoy a full wear. If you have the few bucks to grab a sample, this is really worth checking out. If you have a lot of bucks to spare, buy a bottle.

*Update* Had to buy a bottle. Hooked on Invasion Barbare!

05 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2013)

Angel: Le Gôut du Parfum - Sublimée de Poudre de Cacao Amer / The Taste of Fragrance - Magnified with Bitter Cocoa Powder by Thierry Mugler

Taste of Heaven is what this should be called. Bought this for someone and it is absolutely edible on her. One of my fave female fragrances ever; sexy and delicious.

11th September, 2012

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I love its inoffensiveness, spicy and friendly feel. It's a great scent and easily likable. I love this as my go to when I feel like just going simple and smelling good all day long; on those days where I don't feel like standing in front of my wardrobe and pondering each fragrance and my mood etc. It's a go-to for me like Green Irish Tweed. I highly recommend grabbing a sample and spending a couple days with it, and I feel you will see what I mean.

14 June, 2012

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Butter, maple syrup, pancakes, and a weak coffee fragrance. Very unique, but not for me, and I am a gourmand addict.

18 May, 2012

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Grabbed samples of GPH and GPHII at the same time and I proceeded to spray one on each hand. I blew through my GPHII sample in two days and was dying for more!

GPHII is heavenly, playful, sweet, and even complex. To me, it's a scent you just can't go wrong with; extremely non-offensive. This fills another gap in my wardrobe as I have nothing that smells relatively close to it. 5 stars for me.

27 April, 2012

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

Frostyicy's review basically sums up my feelings on this gem. I also blind bought the EDP after recommendations were given to me to test this out. For the extra eight or nine dollars, go for the EDP.

This is one of those fragrances that I feel does not get enough attention. A hidden gem indeed.

Classy, beautiful, sexy and unique.

27 April, 2012

Relax by Davidoff

Really wish I could find a bottle of this without paying through the roof. I really like this fragrance and just like it's name, it truly did help me relax.

Just having finished a stressful and long day, I came home to a package with the mini sample I had ordered to give this a go as the note list was interesting and seemed like something I would enjoy wearing when in the mood to just simply and cleverly enough, "relax".

As others have noted, it isn't the cleanest and it is a powdery blend but as soon as even opened up the mini bottle and and took a whiff (with a headache, mind you) it just left me with an easing and comforting feeling.

It may not be one of those ground breaking or legendary frags that we so love to find, but I feel it lives up to its name. Unfortunately, since it is discontinued, it doesn't exactly live up to its current price tag.

This one is a solid 3.5 out of 5 for me.

14 April, 2012

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Eau d'Été Summer Edition by Issey Miyake

Possibly my favorite summer scent, ever! Own a backup bottle of this one too. I've never actually sampled the original, I was offered this to sample when it came out at my local Sephora and it was just captivating; I had to buy it right then and there. Shame it's completely limited but thankfully it's not so popular so the price gouging has yet to occur.

06 April, 2012

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Going to do a comparison review with this and the EDP/Extreme version.

Own both this and the Extreme (EDP) versions and I love both of them. The EDT was the first one I had sampled and surprisingly I didn't like it my first couple of wearings. I revisited my sample after a couple weeks when I was feeling curious about smelling it once again and then I was hooked.

Citrus/woodsy cocoa but the progressions and stages are more dragged out and more of a transitional journey than the EDP. The EDP gives me a brief play with the citrusy top but soon gets down to business with an exquisite bitter cocoa that's practically impossible to not want to keep smelling!

Both are similar, yes, but the wearing are two totally different olfactory experiences. I highly recommend sampling both, at least a few wearings before purchasing.

This gets 5/5 from me as well as the EDP. Both are fragrances I seriously wouldn't hesitate wearing every day. I've noticed I reach for these first if I don't already know what I want to wear. Guess you can say, they are now a staple in my wardrobe and my go-to frags!

01st April, 2012

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain

This might be one of those frags that I would actually wear every day, all year round. Flawless is the word that comes to mind. Only wish the price tag on this wasn't so steep and wish it were more accessible!

29 March, 2012

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I get the (in)famous rubber note in the initial 15 minutes after spraying on my skin, then this turns in to a full-on sexy and sensual vanilla with woody elements and some leather, but not an overly sweet vanilla. There's also a little touch of smokiness I pick up during this point of wear that seems to fit along nicely with the woody/vanilla/leather, similar to the smokiness picked up in Aventus.

This is a superb fragrance, especially for the price per bottle and very unique. It's definitely, in my opinion, Bvlgari's best male offering and one I would imagine any collector would own, and one I will always have in my wardrobe.

25 March, 2012

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Absolutely stunning masterpiece! This is by far my favorite incense scent. The incense co-stars with the rest of the cast as opposed to so many other frags where the incense is just so dominant, it drowns out every other note in the composition. So happy to have finally found my "perfect" incense frag. From top to bottom, beginning to end, this is pure beauty. Super luck to have found a great deal from a fellow BNer on a bottle.

Two extremely satisfied and enthusiastic thumbs up!

15 March, 2012

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

The way this smells reminded me of how it feels to fall in love. This is a masterpiece, absolutely beautiful.

FYI: The bottle I have is the original formulation, silver tube/silver ring.

28 February, 2012

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

Patchouli, patchouli, patchouli! Ok, maybe not completely, but it's a dominant force in this one. It's a softer and lighter patchouli which is what I love about it. The other notes alter it just enough that it doesn't smell like pure patchouli; they are very complimentary.

25 February, 2012

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Absolutely gorgeous! Less is more on this one, as with most Vetiver fragrances I have tried. This is on my wish list!

01st February, 2012

New York Amber by Bond No. 9

Stunning, beautiful, elegant; all of these words describe New York Amber. That being said, I'm not quite sure that this is one that comes off as masculine with my body chemistry. The composition is really amazing on this one. There are definitely quite a few Bond's that are just way too much and feels like there are notes flying all over the place, with sort of no rhyme or reason, but the notes in this one fit together so damn well, like they were really made for each other.

I'd say an absolute must-sample for anyone in the market for a Bond fragrance. This composition was done amazingly.

25 January, 2012

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Just experienced this intriguing scent today and I had to wait a good half hour before smelling my hand again. The initial spray and opening was a bit too much for me, rather harsh. But the middle and the finale that is the base and full dry-down, I am in love. It's amazing how much of a transition this fragrance makes. Definitely one that needs to be sampled on skin to get the full experience. When it was sprayed on their tester paper I couldn't make anything of it except pure alcohol.

It's tough for me to commit to a full retail price purchase with the Bond's as the amount of juice you get doesn't sit well with me. This is one I'll pick-up when I come across a great deal or discount.

24 January, 2012

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

This was my gem through my middle school and high school years! Still have nothing but love for it and love a spray here and there to trigger those memories and reminisce. This was in my top three during that time with Joop! and Cool Water.

I find this one extremely inoffensive and wearable for a younger age and it will garner compliments. Plus at about $20 for a 4.2oz bottle, how can you go wrong?

21st January, 2012

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

This smells too similar to Creed's Silver Mountain Water for me to ever consider buying as it would not make sense to have both in my wardrobe.

It's a pleasant fragrance but has more to it through the opening and mid stages of it. The dry down is extremely light and is feminine compared to what SMW leaves, which is one of the few reasons I love SMW.

If you want a lighter alternative to SMW, this fits the bill. While not a bad frag at all, I would purchase SMW over Hamptons every time.

26 December, 2011

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Absolutely in love with this fragrance.

Just little dabs of this on the hot spots and I still smell this the next day. Recommend spraying sparingly, a little bit goes a long way.

Overall response from others when I wear this is a great one. It's not overpowering; just a very smooth and delicious scent.

Not sharp like Himalaya, this is my clear favorite of the two, if you are in the market for either of those from Creed. This is in my group of heavily used frags.

25 December, 2011

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Completely underrated is right. Just another one of those fragrances that many knock and I absolutely adore. To be perfectly honest, this is one of those fragrances that I catch a whiff on myself through the day and it makes me smile and feel good, whether at home being lazy, at work, or just out and about around town or the city. It's a mood enhancer, for me, and a great one at that.

Side note: Female response is a very positive one, even after a few hours of wear.

18 December, 2011

Guess Man by Guess

Always been a favorite of mine! Very easy to wear, day or night and any occasion really. I feel good wearing this one.

04 September, 2011

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Heaven in a bottle... I can't stop smelling myself! I wear my fragrances for me and this is up there in my top 3 personal favorites. If you have the opportunity to get yourself a sample vial, it is definitely worth giving it a try.

02 September, 2011

Roadster Sport by Cartier

Currently in my rotation, it's potent and I love the scent. It's been my summer day-time scent and does garner compliments. Just be sure not to over-do-it with the sprays, as it is quite strong.

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Simple and playful with a little twist. Wore this in my younger years and have fond memories of it. Not a sophisticated scent but effective.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Keep this one for night time and cooler months. DO NOT BATHE IN IT! One spray and dabs in strategic places is all you need. Great for those "special" nights planned with a lady friend. ;)

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

This fragrance is versatile! I prefer wearing this one through warmer months of the year but you can definitely get away with wearing this one pretty much whenever you feel like.

One thing I love to do with this one is mix it with Armani Attitude for night time wear. It's ridiculous! In a good way, of course. ;)

Brit for Men by Burberry

I've been wearing this on and off for a few years now. This get's a lot of female attention in the office environment. To some, irresistible. It's one of those frags , for me, I put in heavy rotation through the colder months. Floral and spicy and creates a little mystery for females close to you ;)