Reviews by pistachio

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Nomad Tea by Comme des Garçons

Nomad Tea is the strange combination of SWEET spearmint toothpaste and smooth bitterness like a leather chair. The result? The scent of a posh Dentist. I rate this perfume a thumbs down for me, because it lacks intimacy and warmth. But the smell would be strangely comforting in an office, comforting in the strange way Doublemint is for carsickness. Neutral thumb.
04th December, 2010

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Okay, this is a strange one. First, the beginning is bitter and cool, like an ashtray in an air conditioned car. Why L'Artisan made this "smoke tea" note so strong, I don't know. Maybe to make it last longer when the other notes emerge? Who knows.

I do know I love the scent that emerges and takes the edge off the smoke. It's warm and sweet. People say they smell honey and milk, but unless the heating's on very high, I don't get it. What I do get most of the time without stretching my nose or imagination too far, is warm, sweet incense. The incense part is supple, not thick church stuff. What I love about the warmth, sweetness, and supple smoke is that they float up at different times, something I've never experienced smelling a perfume. And when the scent fades, it tends to smell...like cream powder...almost marshmallow-y. It's absolutely delicious.

Altogether, this scent is cuddly and delicate, with a bit of mysterious smoke for sophistication. Unique and great for fall but only the indoors in winter, because it goes flat in cold air.
02nd October, 2010

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens

For all Serge Luten’s advertising, Five O’clock au Gingembre smells nothing like gingerbread to me, nor does it smell spicy. It’s actually very hard to describe unless you sniff for individual notes. Well, I sniffed…and it smells like…warm citrusy cream and a little…cash? It’s very luxurious and comforting, even a little tantalizing since the warmth and cream soften the spiky citrus to a subtle tartness. Surprisingly, this perfume smells a lot like the last stage of Ralph Lauren’s Notorious (which, although the rest of Notorious is reputedly bad, is actually very beautiful.) I don’t know when a person would wear this perfume though. It’s not romantic, provocative, or intimate, and is way too luxurious to scent an ordinary apartment or house. It’s disappointing but the bottom line is: beautiful but not really wearable.
03rd March, 2010

David Yurman Eau de Parfum by David Yurman

I’ve never met the creator of this perfume, but he seems very lighthearted. Yes indeed- he’s probably laughing right now because he has people paying a hundred plus to smell like the backseat of a limo.
23rd February, 2010