Reviews by lauraschoice

lauraschoice's avatar
    lauraschoice

Envy Me by Gucci

A Real Keeper

I concur with most of the reviews on this page; this is a sweet, light floral with musky basenotes that make it appropriate for most anyone who wants a feminine scent. A winner.

28 October, 2013

Amethyst by Lalique

Just like your great aunt used to wear

This is an old lady fragrance if ever there was one. Strong and sweet, the musk smell lasts longer than the berry scent which disappears not long after application. My first thought after application was of an elementary school teacher I had, no, wait, a lady in my mothers church group, no, wait, maybe it was my great aunt Norma. No matter, the fact that it stirred up memories of loud floral dresses and hugs I didn't want put me off it almost right away and by the end of the day all that was left was that awful sweet/strong musk. Maybe when I'm 80.

26 October, 2013

Ellen Tracy (new) by Ellen Tracy

After reading so many strong reviews of the scent, I was disappointed to find it so mundane. Strong, sweet, matronly, forgettable.

11th May, 2013

Eau de Star by Thierry Mugler

Although I ultimately will give this one a "no thanks" for my wardrobe, I will give it a neutral rating. It goes on over-the-top strong, but settles down into a candyish floral that's only a little too sweet for my liking.

04 March, 2013

Angel Garden Of Stars - The Lily Angel by Thierry Mugler

The top notes are really strong - a big blast of earthiness with a strong tobacco kick which settles down when the sweetness starts to show up. The fruitiness is not very citrusy, it's more like a fruit cocktail. I find the sweet notes a little too strong to make this a keeper, but it's worth a try if you go for that cotton-candy-with-a-side-of-powdery-melon sort of thing. One thing I'm not getting from all this business however, is lily. I just don't find it that noticeable.

22 November, 2012

Essence by Narciso Rodriguez

If find this scent to be musky, strong and spicy, sophisticated rather than sexy. It lasted all day but had definitely quieted down by the evening; that's when I liked it best. It's a pass for me but I think it's a must-try for anyone shopping for a statement perfume.

10th October, 2012

Strenesse by Gabriele Strehle

This scent opens with a big blast of coconut which is very overbearing but don't let that put you off. The middle notes are still a shade too sweet but the last notes will convince you that this one's a keeper. You're left with a sexy, sophisticated richness that brings to mind long lunches or cocktails and little black dresses. Give this one a try.

12 May, 2012

Sira des Indes by Jean Patou

This fragrance goes on strong and doesn't relax much but that's not a bad thing. Sira strikes the ideal note between sweet and spicy but the overall strength does not go over the top. For everyday use it's only for the "all eyes on me" types but at night, let yourself go.

06 May, 2012

Candie's by Candie's

Absolutely vile. I can't believe this barf-inducing scent has been on the market for over ten years. Cloying, sickeningly sweet and nauseating. Skip it.

29 January, 2012

Quelques Fleurs L'Original by Houbigant

As other reviews have noted, this is a rich, deep, slight spicy (in my opinion) floral that has an old-school, ladies-who-lunch vibe to it. It doesn't waver much from it's opening notes of florals, which are strong but not overly so, and has a sophistication that is appropriate for day or evening. It's womanly rather than girly, so you have to be a real grown-up to wear it well.

29 January, 2012

FCUK Her by French Connection

This fragrance is very subtle, soft and wearable for everyday, appropriate for work as it is not overbearing at all. It is faintly soapy but also faintly floral and even faintly woodsy too. But none of these things take lead, they all play together in soft balance. Very nicely done! (It should be mentioned that I bought the 3.4 ml bottle of the scent, pictured above. In addition to being unattractive, it is also cumbersome to use; I have difficulty grasping the bottle while spraying as the bottle is so wide. And my hands aren't particularly dainty, either. FCUK needs to rethink the packaging on this one.)

26 January, 2012

I Loewe You by Loewe

There's little I can add to the reviews above. Musky floral, too sweet. Reminds me of cotton candy. Very girly if that's what you're going for. I'm not. Note: The sample I received included the word "tonight" as in "I Loewe You Tonight". If it is not the same fragrance as on this page, it probably doesn't matter, the reviews fit it just the same.

26 January, 2012

Si Lolita by Lolita Lempicka

I tried out this scent because of it's inclusion of Sweet Pea, my favorite flower. But I could find absolutely no trace of that sweet, lovely floral in this cloying nose burner that has no distinctive qualities at all and never changed from it's nauseating opening notes the entire time I was saddled with it on my wrist. Just another overbearingly sweet, heavy scent you can't wash off fast enough.

25 December, 2011

A Mi Aire by Loewe

The opening notes of lemon and cut grass are almost too much to bear (the word shrill comes to mind) but after about an hour this fragrance starts to eases into something that is much more enjoyable and can't help but make you think about summer and everything that goes with it: bike rides, picnics, the beach and fireflies. Because the cut grass scent never settles down, however, I can't really call A Mi Aire a keeper so I've only given it a neutral review.

13 December, 2011

Trouble by Boucheron

Bleh! This scent has no femininity, no mystery, no sexiness, just overbearing odor. It's topnotes burn your nose and the drydown smells a kinda like perfumed packing material. Cardboard, or bubble wrap. Skip it.

12 June, 2011

Féerie by Van Cleef & Arpels

This scent goes on with a powerful blast that is at once spicy, floral and citrusy. Overwhelming, yes, but still bearable; the youthfulness of the smell saves it from being nauseating. After about an hour the bottom notes have shown up and what you're left with is a warm floral that is still young and only slightly sweet. A good choice for any occasion.

10th June, 2011

Murmure by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is a strong seductive fragrance for a real grown-up. Sweet without being nauseating, it reminds me of Alessandro Dell'Aqua because of the musky quality. It gets softer over the course of the day and that's when I like it best.

13 April, 2011

Kors by Michael Kors

I cannot share at all in the enthusiasm shown for this perfume from it's other reviews. This is a very strong, sweet musk that is really overbearing (and never settles down) but not distinctive. Its complete absence of soft or feminine notes would seem to make it a better choice for evening than daytime but use it sparingly, if you must. You could actually make someone ill if they inhale too much of it.

04 January, 2011

Kenneth Cole New York Women by Kenneth Cole

I find nothing special about the scent at all. It seems to me to be a standard issue fragrance for professional women, suitable for business suits and daytime wear. There is little feminity here, just an overly strong and sweet smell that has no distinction.

04 January, 2011

Cheap and Chic I Love Love by Moschino

A clean, happy, fruity, citrusy fragrance that is best for the young or young-at-heart. Ideal for a summer day or anytime you want your spirits lifted.

31st December, 2010

Inspire by Ellen Tracy

This lovely soft floral has no citrus notes that I could detect but I love it so much I don't care. I can really douse myself with it; you need a lot to make it last but it doesn't overwhelm you so it's all good. Perfect either for daytime or for a quiet evening out.

28 December, 2010

Lolita Lempicka Fleur Défendue / Forbidden Flower by Lolita Lempicka

An overwhelmingly sweet and strong frag that some might find seductive but I just found nauseating. It burnt my nose and gave me a headache.

26 December, 2010

Capucci de Capucci by Roberto Capucci

Hmmm - goes on as a very strong, sweet floral (too much for my taste) but, after a few hours, does settle into something softer and my subtler. Woodsy, oriental notes emerge making it a good evening choice if you're starting out boisterous but ending quietly.

16 August, 2010

Amarige Mariage by Givenchy

Far too strong and sweet to be a winner for me. Goes on with fruity notes (I didn't detect any citrus, as another reviewer mentioned) but settles into the usual cloying floraly-musky that I so have found in so many scents I don't like.

11th August, 2010

Murasaki by Shiseido

This fragrance is gorgeous beyond words. But I'll try. Sophisticated, sensual, beautiful, timeless, exotic, elegant. It makes me think of nightclubs and silk evening gowns. Far and away my favorite, it lasts all day and I can't stop myself inhaling it every few minutes. The EDP is still available from online vendors so seek it out; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

03 July, 2010

Tommy Hilfiger Dreaming by Tommy Hilfiger

I like this warm, spicy floral a lot but the sillage is so weak it's mostly gone by lunchtime! Give it a try but carry the bottle in your purse for touch-ups.

26 June, 2010

Cynthia Rowley by Cynthia Rowley

This scent goes on with a blast of fresh-cut green something but settles into a watery lemon that both disappoints and doesn't last more than a few hours. If you're crazy for citrus you might want to give it a try but "So Pink" from the Gap is a much better buy.

23 June, 2010

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

After an initial blast of something too sharp, this scent settles into a nice comfortable spot, not too floral, not to fruity, not too woodsy, not too sweet, nor too strong. If you're looking for something that doesn't stand out, give this a try. If you like perfumes with a little more personality then move on.

23 June, 2010

Délices de Cartier Eau Fruitée by Cartier

I don't know which element of this perfumes top notes makes it smell like pencil shavings but, thankfully, it wears off soon enough. What's left is a nauseatingly sweet musk-ish scent that does not wear off soon enough.

21st June, 2010

Alchimie by Rochas

This goes on with a overly sweet, slightly metallic floral which settles into just overly sweet and highly forgettable. The only distinct thing about it is that it smells a little like Play Doh from my childhood memories. I'm serious.

21st June, 2010