Reviews by The_Cologneist

Black Bold by Kenneth Cole

Surprisingly a great fragrance from a not so great house.

To me this is like a better version of Banana Republic Slate, and a much better version of the original Kenneth Cole Black.

A great minty, citrus, with a good floral nuance. Outstanding Kenneth Cole! Solid performance too.
08th January, 2019

Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic by Lancôme

Wtf!!?

Am I missing something? Is this a cruel joke. Haha I get it, it must have been April Fool's Day when everyone submitted their reviews. Ok, don't get me wrong, there are differences in opinions and that is completely subjective, but I just can't quite understand why anybody would wear this, or how anyone could find it pleasant?

Some of my favorite notes are in this fragrance, ferns, citrus, woods, vetiver.. so how could it possibly go wrong? Are people just in love because of the perfumer who made this, thus - the placebo effect?

Granted I did buy mine off ebay. I know it's real, but buying off ebay.. who knows where or how the fragrances were stored, and kept in what conditions. So.. there is a possibility that the fragrance is completely mutilated and mutated. There's no chance in hell I am going to blind buy another bottle of it just to see.

The fragrance itself.. here's what I get.. The opening smells like newspaper mixed with Grandma's makeup bag. As it dries, it becomes a little more green, and very powdery. By the end I'm left with a very vegetal rhubarb note. Then it dries down this way.

This fragrance is disgusting and flat out vulgar in my honest to god opinion. Do not make the same mistake I did, sample it first, do not blind buy a bottle, even if the reviews look good, and the notes look awesome!!
07th January, 2019

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

This doesn't smell like Code at all. This smells like Playboy Hollywood. If you wanna smell like 5 bucks, then this is for you. One of the worst blind buys I've made. Very much below average fragrance with no performance.

Cigar Commander by Rémy Latour

It's not that great. It's like almost a mix of Burberry London and original Cigar, and as good as that may sound, the problem is the dry down here. It comes off too powdery, too "sloppy", I'm not sure what is causing the clash in notes. Sometimes tobacco can smell powdery, and almost like soiled diapers, skanky and funky. That's what I get here.

Although the intent was good, the execution was bad. I liked it at first, but after wearing it more often I began to notice more wrong than right. Therefor I cannot recommend this to anyone.

I can however recommend Burberry London and original Cigar, both 5 star fragrances!

Update.. now looking at the notes I see what it is, it's 100% the note of jasmine that doesn't belong in here. That is my subjective opinion though. I think if the jasmine were toned down it may have worked out. Jasmine in big doses comes off overly powdery. I do not like powdery smelling fragrances in most cases, and certainly not in a tobacco fragrance. (Tobacco Vanille is an exception to that because imo the tobacco outweighs the powdery component, keeping it in alpha male masculine territory.)

I give this a very reluctant 3 stars out of 5, while almost a 2 star fragrance. The problem with this brand is everything other than the original Cigar has been non bottle worthy imho. Capitalizing on their market, Cigar is a pretty big hit, I have smelled it in public before, I know its eye catching appeal and low price tag probably helps move it in discounters like TJ Maxx, and Marshall's. Plus in these stores I frequent, I always see the original Cigar inventory here one week then gone the next, so people have to be buying it. Though as I said, and again, just my personal opinion. I wouldn't waste my money, even if it's only 10 bucks, on any of the flankers to this brand, I have tried about 4 of them, and they have all been pretty bad.

cK One Gold by Calvin Klein

I rather enjoy the smell of this sage dominated floral citrus fragrance, very unisex, but performance is far below average on my skin.

If you're looking for a more jacked up, take on Geir Ness, you might enjoy this, eliminating the soft florals and replacing them with herbs and citrus. Sage is the big note here to me, so make sure you enjoy it. The sage here is well rounded, not sharp at all. Worth a try if you want a nice soft floral citrus that can be masculine as well as mass appealing, and garner compliments, but all in all, I find this fragrance sort of lackluster, due to its horrible performance.

Blackbird by Olympic Orchids

Wow, this stuff is delicious! Opens up with mostly blackberry, with a slight dark and wet cedar undertone. Quickly that fades and it becomes a dominant blackberry note that just lasts and lasts and lasts. Projection is not the best though.

Going by the price per ml, it turns out to be pretty expensive. It's sort of on the style with Jubilation XXV, but not as much depth. Very homemade smelling, and very cozy.
25th December, 2018

James Bond 007 Seven Intense by James Bond

EDP my butt!! This stuff lasts no more than an hour. It does smell just ok though. With none of the notes really standing out to me. This gives off a mostly drunken raisin vibe, or smells heavy on the rum. Although I don't see it as a note, it's what I get. Although with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper listed here, I really don't get any of them sadly.

Overall, it smells pretty much the same as Rocawear Evolution. In fact I am probably gonna either give this way or sell it in a lot with other stuff I don't use, and get another bottle of Rocawear Evolution, since its performance beats this one on every level.
19th December, 2018

Greenergy by Givenchy

Hmm.. could this have been brought back or reformulated or something? I recently bought a bottle only to return it as it was nothing like I had anticipated. I get more of a blue aquatic thing. Reminds me of something, but I just can't quite remember what. Has a salty vibe as well.

It's definitely not bad, but it's also in now way worth seeking out, as I waited many many years to find a good deal, only to be let down.
08th December, 2018

Uomo Acqua by Valentino

This is actually quite good. A brilliant concept that just falls short in performance.

A Summery/warm weather take on the original, or let's just say Dior Homme knock off. This adds some interesting elements. The note choices are real, not just marketing ploys. It does in fact smell like tomato leaf and mandarin. I know mandarin is not that unusual, but how it's done here, mixed with the tomato leaf, creating this sort of vegetal accord. It's sort of like V8 in a way. I get not only tomato, but celery too.

Again it would be wayyy better if only it performed better. Not sure the perfumer on this, but I think he/she/they did a great job, probably executing notes like this to make a fragrance like so, for the first time. It's different, it's groundbreaking, it has all sorts of facets.. vegetal, nutty, creamy, gourmand, citrusy, dark, yet also very bright.

Wait til it goes on sale. Longevity is lackluster, so for a sale price it'll be worth it. Then when Valentino figures out why it flopped so bad, they can come to reviews like this, and make an "Intense" version.

For now, a very reluctant thumbs up, I don't often give a seal of approval for such poor performance, but since the blend is great, and we know the price will go down before it's discontinued and prices soar (you know the usual) I think it warrants it.
05th December, 2018

Clémentine California by Atelier Cologne

What a shame! This opens up so nice, and vibrant. Bought a sample of it finally, it's been on my test list for a bit. I see where people say it's overly feminine, because after about 5 minutes, it sways that way, but I still liked it, until.. I go to smell my hand and hour later, and it turned into something just bad. It doesn't smell like any citrus, and it doesn't even smell floral anymore. Just kinda smells like rubber, Chlorox, and some type of dog shampoo.. disgusting, yet intriguing. Yet not worth the price, even on sale.
07th October, 2018

Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos

Nice top notes, bitter citruses are intriguing, but everything after the 10 minute mark is just flat out bad. Actually this dry down borders on disgusting.. you be the judge. Sold my bottle!
25th September, 2018

Hugo Iced by Hugo Boss

This is REALLY nice, and a surprise for me. I don't expect much from Hugo fragrances anymore, but this one is excellent.

Initially I can't help but think Orange Sanguine, as it's very "orange juice" heavy. As it settles it becomes more subtle, still giving off a lot of citrus, orange, grapefruit, meyer lemon; which meet an excellent mint note, (think Live Jazz kind of mint). The tea note is kind of like the glue holding everything together, you may not detect it at all, but it's there. It's what makes this fragrance almost drinkable. It smells like an herbal, citrus, minty tea.

The ingredients used seem better quality than usual for Hugo. Longevity is pretty decent at 4-6 hours, projection isn't the greatest, but very good in the first 20 minutes.
25th September, 2018

Animale Azul by Animale Parfums

Fruity Cool Water. Sub par longevity.
04th September, 2018

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

I'll be damned if you find a fragrance that smells more like Irish Spring than this.

Patrick is a sleeper of a fragrance, but not here on Basenotes. All the guys know about it, and their positivity took me to this one.

One of the best, freshest, green fragrances out there. Has good longevity, not amazing though. Unlike Sung Homme, the top notes last forever here, thus giving it the Irish Spring vibe long enough to warrant a bottle purchase. Although it's on my wishlist, I know I will own a bottle in the near future. The opening is a little harsh, but let it settle in and do its magic!
29th August, 2018

Byerley by Parfums de Marly

This opens up with a dry, earthy vetiver and hefty dose of fig (although not listed in notes). I'm getting a strong resemblance to Paradis Perdu. There's also a boozy smell here, almost identical to the cognac note in Ombre Noire.

Although a great opening, anything after 30 minutes is just a snoozefest. Gets boring, uninspired, unoriginal. Starts to smell like pesticides to some degree. Longevity is in the 6-8 hour mark for me, but I stopped caring anyways after the first 30 minutes.

This review is based off of 3 full wearings.
29th August, 2018

360 Degrees Green for Men by Perry Ellis

Starts off very soapy, takes a good 20 minutes before i smell anything "green". The heart actually smells really nice, but it's so light.. I just forget it by the dry down.

Might return to re-review this one at a later date.
12th August, 2018

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Opening is great, but dry down is a bit too "Chanel-y" for my liking. Meaning too powdery and aldehyde heavy. Definitely has the old school Chanel signature vibe to it.
05th August, 2018

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

What the hell is this?? What are these notes? This dones't smell like anything. It smells like a metallic citrus opening, almost reminiscent of Creed SMW, and before I turn my head back to sniff my arm, I smell nothing. That's with 3 good wearings from a sample I paid $6 for. Worst $6 spent ever. Come on.. I'd expect this from Nautica or CK, but not from a fragrance that retails for over $300 a bottle.

If you see this one, just ignore it completely. It's the biggest joke ever.
25th July, 2018

SOUL2SOUL Tim McGraw by Tim McGraw

I'm surprised this hasn't been reviewed in the 6 years its been out.

Smells virtually identical to Christain Audiger for Men, only has better projection. This is also similar to Jubilation XXV.
22nd July, 2018

CH Men Central Park by Carolina Herrera

Ya, this is really good. Recently I tried a whole bunch of samples of fragrances released in the past 2-3 years, and this was one of them. It stood out from the rest. Although a designer fragrance, it doesn't follow the trend of current releases which is nice for a change, but it also doesn't go too crazy with being overly unique and becoming a monstrosity.

So basically what this is is the opening of Gucci pour Homme II but extended on for hours. Eventually when I get to the mid and base notes, I pick up some woods and musk. Dry down is not favorable compared to the first 2 hours.

A fairly linear fragrance. 4-5 hours of longevity, and low/moderate projection.

I'm not a big fan of this line.. and I think the original is really overrated, but I also feel this one is really underrated. Absolutely worth a sniff if you see it. Blind bottle worthy if you love spicy fragrances.

1 Million Lucky by Paco Rabanne

Although a nice opening, it is quite sweet, even sweeter than the original 1 Million. After it dries a little, it pretty smells the same as Armani's Stronger with You, with in turn - smells the same as 100 other fragrances. Very heavy on the tonka bean, and synthetic amber.

I was not thrilled, but ok with it.. until I met the dry down. A very chemical smelling dry down. Smells like fried electronics. Fortunately the sweetness is still so strong that it cuts through the base notes and makes it somewhat bearable.

Overall a very synthetic smelling fragrance. Nothing really special, but worth a sniff for sure.

Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

I admit, I really like the opening. A fresh lemon sweet, but also bitter.. kinda reminds me of a sour cocktail. Unfortunately, within minutes, I get the smell of feces, or what people like to now call, Ambroxian. And too much Ambroxian like here, and like in many other fragrances, just rubs my olfactory senses the wrong way.

It's funny, the guy who mentions mothballs, because that's literally what it smells like LOL.

I gotta keep a neutral rating though, because the opening is really really good.

Life by Nautica

This absolutely sucks. When people say generic, I think they exaggerate a bit.. However this is legit the definition of generic, and for good reason why it's going for around $9 shipped a bottle online. i thought maybe after a couple years, nobody speaking about it, maybe it's a hidden gem. I went ahead and bought a bottle.

Wow.. it's not only so generic, but so poorly done. Bergamot, lavender, and some herbals. Nothing salty, nothing oceanic, nothing anything reminiscent of the beach, the ocean, the boardwalk, the sea. Kinda smells like a really flat version of Nautica Aqua Rush.. which was already bad, but is a bombshell compared to this crap!

I always put Nautica in the same realm with Tommy and Ralph Lauren. Those 2 have really upped their game in fragrances, but Nautica is still making the same crap. There has been maybe 1 or 2 bottle worthy fragrances from this house in the whole 25 years they've been making men's frags.

Nautica.. seriously.. step up your damn game or stop making frags!! There's a reason they all flop and go direct to discount bins, even your best seller Voyage is pretty bad.
10th July, 2018

Wave for Him by Hollister

These fragrances are built around top notes, made to please, and often have nothing else to offer after the first 10 minutes, with the exception of So Cal, A&F Fierce, and First Instinct.

Opening is kinda reminiscent of 50 Cent Power, but more aquatic.

Wave has a great fruity opening, very fruity, I get sort of a green grape note that I rather like. Within 20 minutes I'm left with pretty much nothing but lavender. I will say, lavender here is done well, it's spot on. But at the same time.. I don't wanna smell like pure lavender.
09th July, 2018

Eau de Prep by Tommy Hilfiger

One of the best grapefruit openings I've smelled in a long time. It's a little on the sweet side, making it not so natural smelling, but at the same time, it does possess and authentic grapefruit smell, not like candy or anything.

After 5 minutes it sweetens up, and I lose interest.. but wait.. then something magical happens. It suddenly becomes green, with a splash of patchouli. The patchouli in this (although not a listed note) is similar to that in A*Men Pure Shot/Energy. A very clean smelling patchouli.

I think it's a perfect signature fragrance. Might even throw some people off into thinking it's a high end niche fragrance. Nothing too special, aside from the amazing grapefruit up top, it's still not a fragrance that hasn't been done 100 times already. I just think this one may be notably better than all its predecessors.
09th July, 2018

James Bond 007 Ocean Royale by James Bond

Surprisingly quite nice. Smells like it could possibly be part of the Curve line. Problem is, as short lasting as some Curve fragrances are, they are beasts compared to this. The longevity here is abysmal. But hey, at $12 a bottle, I don't care. Scent itself is nice. Sort of a grape/lime aquatic opening, a little salty. Within 10 minutes I get a bit of sandalwood before it dies out completely. Projection seems big at first, but like the longevity it dies off as soon as the top notes do, which is 10 minutes at best. Overall, it stays on my skin about 2 hours tops, which is pretty poor. Where I mostly get a dry sandalwood with some fruity nuances, and unfortunately no seaweed accord that I was hoping for. The fact that coffee is listed as a note in here must be some type of prank, lol.
05th July, 2018

Animale Sport by Animale Parfums

Falls flat of being decent. Smells like rust for a good portion of the opening and mid. Soapy opening, then becomes for fruity. Still with the added rusty smell, it makes this completely unwearable.

Salvador pour Homme by Salvador Dali

Full disclosure: I'm sorry, and hope this review doesn't offend anyone or get removed. I try to be as honest as possible, and I apologize if my choice of words offends anyone.

Another bottle I will be selling soon.. Intrigued by an interesting array of notes, I bit the bullet on this one. Fortunately I got a smaller sized bottle for under $15 shipped.

I don't know how else to say this, but it smells like a sweaty butt, after you've been working out. The note of cinnamon can have that "ass smelling" effect. There's nothing redeeming, and it just gets worse and worse. I can't describe the note or accord behind the cinnamon, I don't think it's pear. It could be a very poor use of sandalwood.

Promising notes comes together for an absolutely repulsive fragrance. One of the worst I've smelled in a while. Also like my previous review on Full Choke, this has the same metallic/rusty smell as well. No wonder it doesn't sell.

Full Choke by Francesco Smalto

This is gross. I took a gamble and blind bought it, intrigued by presentation and unique notes.

Full Choke is basically a fresh fragrances made repulsive with this "gun powder" note. It's not done tastefully. It seems like it was a mistake.. and then afterward they just decided.. "wow this kinda smells like gun powder, let's make it as a note". The dry down is a little bore agreeable than the harsh metallic/rusty smelling opening, but I just want it off my skin asap. I'll be selling this one soon for sure.

Cordovan by Banana Republic

Despite having a somewhat unique note set, this is a very average fragrance. I find myself often saying "it's so simple, yet so unique" -- kind of the case with this one too.

The strong metallic vibe is the star here. As bad as it may sound, it just works. It kind of has a Creed Himalaya thing going on for the first 20 minutes or so. As Bigsly points out, it's very well blended, and hard to detect notes.. but one note that is prominent is the fig. It takes a few minutes to come out, but once it does, you can't miss it. It's a darkish, dried fig kind of note. Has that raisin kind of smell. I would put nutmeg as the second most prominent note.

The dry down is boring, flat, indistinguishable. The scent doesn't really go anywhere after the nutmeg emerges. It fades out as a fig/nutmeg, metallic fragrance, over a lavender base.

It took me a while to finally pull the notes apart here, again very well blended, very well balanced too. It's weird because I don't really care for the fragrance, but sometimes I just get an urge to wear it.
02nd July, 2018