Reviews by The_Cologneist

Acqua di Bergamotto by Ermenegildo Zegna

Bergamot oil and neroli open this one for a powdery citrus top, smells very similar to the gold standard of this genre 7411.

This one is simple, linear, and doesn't project much, or last very long. It smells good, but so does 4711, and costs a fraction of the price. Even with AdB at sale prices, it's still overpriced for what you're getting.

After owning my bottle for many years, I've decided to sell it, as I reach for many others in this same genre that our perform this one, much more often. Not to say this is a bad fragrance, but it definitely isn't anything you probably haven't already smelled.
07th March, 2019

Esplosivo by Tonino Lamborghini

Ah wow, this is bad. The opening kind of smells like Kenneth Cole Black, which is nice, but it quickly dissipates and turns into a Norlimbanol (which is the screechy synthetic wood smell, if you are unaware) dominated fragrance, and dries down into the base like that, before it's completely gone in no more than 3 hours.

I am 1 for 2 with this house, and might try one more to break the tie. Forza is quite nice, imo. I didn't care much for it at first, but it grew on me. It's an overall pleasing, mass appealing darker, masculine fragrance, but still sort of modern. I think it will likely be the jewel of the house, as the one I really wish to try, Azione, is seemingly impossible to get in the US.
05th March, 2019

Bulgari Man Wood Essence by Bulgari

Awesome bottle. Nice dry down. Other than that, it is garbage. The dry down is actually really nice, kind of smells like a light rose. Actually this whole fragrance kind of goes in reverse, with some harsh top notes, and a darker top, into a lighter base. It's hard to explain, I guess you have to try it.
03rd March, 2019

Porsche Titan by Porsche

This is absolutely disgusting, I actually threw my entire bottle away, after trying to give it to friends, who agree it is repulsive.

This is a sharp and sour citrus opening, which is slightly intriguing, but after a couple minutes, it all goes downhill. It becomes powdery and bitter. It gets worse and worse. Imagine neroli but super sour, that's pretty much all this is.
03rd March, 2019

Tous Man Sport by Tous

This is basically a more modern CK One, or perhaps just a more fruity Azzaro Chrome. The dry down is a little creamy, and quite enjoyable. The performance is pretty bad, even worse than CK One, which is already bad. You're better off sticking with Chrome or One.
02nd March, 2019

Eau de Cartier : Essence de Bois by Cartier

Smells nice, but needs to be marketed as a women's fragrance, not unisex, and certainly not male.

Essence de Bois opens up smelling about the same as the original Eau de Cartier, before it turns into a rosey smelling aroma, that is really just a creamy, jammy violet, backed with a vanilla. Eventually it becomes less feminine and more unisex, but very hard to smell anything after 30 minutes. I get a little woods and a light patchouli.
26th February, 2019

Island Life for Him by Tommy Bahama

Other than a pretty cool bottle, there isn't much going on in this one. It opens with a lot of bergamot and lavender, a ton of nutmeg in the mid, and a slightly woodsy but still very nutmeg heavy base. You really need to like nutmeg as a solo note to enjoy this one, which I do not.
16th February, 2019

L'Essence de Cerruti by Cerruti

Not feeling this one, one bit. Opens up floral and powdery, reminds me of Diesel Fuel for Life Spirit, or YSL L'homme Parfum Intense.

Very aldehydic, powdery, floral, just not something I want on my skin. If I can't enjoy the opening or in this case find it overly feminine, I am not gonna wait around for the dry down in most cases.

Now I see why this goes for 10-20 bucks online. I feel it was mislabeled and should be for women. Major flop, from an already not so good fragrance house.

Unltd 72 by Marc Ecko

Smells like all the other Ecko's. An alluring top accord, with not much of a base. Although this one actually stepped it up a little, as I do get the tonka bean base here.

I don't think it's better than Ecko Green though, which in my opinion is the best of all the Ecko's.

This is likable, approachable, probably won't offend anybody. Lacks any characteristics that make it stand out from any other cheapy. Simply put, it smells like a $20 cologne.

Unltd The Exhibit by Marc Ecko

Smells awesome, but performance can't get much worse. It reminds me of Bongo for Men, or possibly even Clinique Happy for men. Very orange heavy, as the bottle suggests.

I don't get any of the base notes, and I don't get much more than a lot of orange, over a light lavender. Although that combination sounds kind of "meh", because it's so synthetic smelling, they blend in together nicely for a nice accord.

After a few minutes, the orange simmers down, becomes lest zesty, and the sweetness from the lavender give it more of a fresh and clean vibe, somewhere along the lines of dryer sheets.

I bought a 3.4 oz tester of this for about $8 shipped, and i can't condone spending much more than that for this. It's just nice to have when you want something super light. I tend to wear this one when I get out of the shower, just as a habit of spraying it on. The performance on this is so poor that it makes 4711 look like a monster in comparison.

Mark Ecko Green by Marc Ecko

Surprisingly this is very nice; but also very "mottled" in a way.

It's hard to determine individual notes for me. It's a fairly linear fragrance, and while usually most linear fragrances follow a common theme, this one is actually a completely different DNA; so I will do my best to sum up what it smells like. It's sort of tropical, but more green, lush greens like grass, leaves, and such, not dirty greens. To me, the rainforest accord is very prevalent, as it reminds me of a tropical rainforest, and although I have never been to one, it's the vibe I get. There's a certain floral component here, but a very fresh floral, no white florals, no roses. The base is very uninspired, and I get none of the notes listed.

Overall, the performance is not as bad as you'd expect from a completely synthetic fragrance, consisting of pretty much just top and mid notes and accords with no substantial base. I get about 3-4 hours, with about average projection.

For me, this is a guilty pleasure type of fragrance. Marc Ecko makes very boring, lackluster, linear fragrances, usually just top notes with prolonged longevity, and nothing to look forward to in the dry down. Linear, so the top notes are often, really in all Ecko fragrances I've tried, become the life of the scent. I think Eckno Green is the best of the Ecko brand, as I have tried about 5 from this house.

It's not worth paying exorbitant asking prices for any of these once they go into discontinuation.. I think Ecko Green is the only one worth $20 max for 3.4 oz.

Noble Vetiver by Chopard

To my nose, this is a very clean vetiver, despite the spicy notes. The opening gives me a very clean and intense vetiver note. I really get nothing but vetiver, but I wanna believe there is some bergamot there. As it dries it becomes more woody, sadly, I do not get the red pepper, though I do get black pepper, and it's pretty mellow, taking a back seat to the vetiver. The pepper smells more like cedar wood, or possible sandalwood, as you know in some instances, both of these woodsy notes or more particularly Iso E Super, can give off the black pepper vibe.

I don't think it stands out enough from other basic vetiver's, notably Guerlain Vetiver, to warrant a purchase. Longevity and projection are not the greatest, for a vetiver based fragrance. In a nutshell, this is simply a more complex version of Guerlain Vetiver.

With the current asking prices for this, and being discontinued, it's simply not worth seeking after. It's good but not that good.

Black Bold by Kenneth Cole

Surprisingly a great fragrance from a not so great house.

To me this is like a better version of Banana Republic Slate, and a much better version of the original Kenneth Cole Black.

A great minty, citrus, with a good floral nuance. Outstanding Kenneth Cole! Solid performance too.
08th January, 2019

Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic by Lancôme

Wtf!!?

Am I missing something? Is this a cruel joke. Haha I get it, it must have been April Fool's Day when everyone submitted their reviews. Ok, don't get me wrong, there are differences in opinions and that is completely subjective, but I just can't quite understand why anybody would wear this, or how anyone could find it pleasant?

Some of my favorite notes are in this fragrance, ferns, citrus, woods, vetiver.. so how could it possibly go wrong? Are people just in love because of the perfumer who made this, thus - the placebo effect?

Granted I did buy mine off ebay. I know it's real, but buying off ebay.. who knows where or how the fragrances were stored, and kept in what conditions. So.. there is a possibility that the fragrance is completely mutilated and mutated. There's no chance in hell I am going to blind buy another bottle of it just to see.

The fragrance itself.. here's what I get.. The opening smells like newspaper mixed with Grandma's makeup bag. As it dries, it becomes a little more green, and very powdery. By the end I'm left with a very vegetal rhubarb note. Then it dries down this way.

This fragrance is disgusting and flat out vulgar in my honest to god opinion. Do not make the same mistake I did, sample it first, do not blind buy a bottle, even if the reviews look good, and the notes look awesome!!
07th January, 2019

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

This doesn't smell like Code at all. This smells like Playboy Hollywood. If you wanna smell like 5 bucks, then this is for you. One of the worst blind buys I've made. Very much below average fragrance with no performance.

Cigar Commander by Rémy Latour

It's not that great. It's like almost a mix of Burberry London and original Cigar, and as good as that may sound, the problem is the dry down here. It comes off too powdery, too "sloppy", I'm not sure what is causing the clash in notes. Sometimes tobacco can smell powdery, and almost like soiled diapers, skanky and funky. That's what I get here.

Although the intent was good, the execution was bad. I liked it at first, but after wearing it more often I began to notice more wrong than right. Therefor I cannot recommend this to anyone.

I can however recommend Burberry London and original Cigar, both 5 star fragrances!

Update.. now looking at the notes I see what it is, it's 100% the note of jasmine that doesn't belong in here. That is my subjective opinion though. I think if the jasmine were toned down it may have worked out. Jasmine in big doses comes off overly powdery. I do not like powdery smelling fragrances in most cases, and certainly not in a tobacco fragrance. (Tobacco Vanille is an exception to that because imo the tobacco outweighs the powdery component, keeping it in alpha male masculine territory.)

I give this a very reluctant 3 stars out of 5, while almost a 2 star fragrance. The problem with this brand is everything other than the original Cigar has been non bottle worthy imho. Capitalizing on their market, Cigar is a pretty big hit, I have smelled it in public before, I know its eye catching appeal and low price tag probably helps move it in discounters like TJ Maxx, and Marshall's. Plus in these stores I frequent, I always see the original Cigar inventory here one week then gone the next, so people have to be buying it. Though as I said, and again, just my personal opinion. I wouldn't waste my money, even if it's only 10 bucks, on any of the flankers to this brand, I have tried about 4 of them, and they have all been pretty bad.

cK one Gold by Calvin Klein

I rather enjoy the smell of this sage dominated floral citrus fragrance, very unisex, but performance is far below average on my skin.

If you're looking for a more jacked up, take on Geir Ness, you might enjoy this, eliminating the soft florals and replacing them with herbs and citrus. Sage is the big note here to me, so make sure you enjoy it. The sage here is well rounded, not sharp at all. Worth a try if you want a nice soft floral citrus that can be masculine as well as mass appealing, and garner compliments, but all in all, I find this fragrance sort of lackluster, due to its horrible performance.

Blackbird by Olympic Orchids

Wow, this stuff is delicious! Opens up with mostly blackberry, with a slight dark and wet cedar undertone. Quickly that fades and it becomes a dominant blackberry note that just lasts and lasts and lasts. Projection is not the best though.

Going by the price per ml, it turns out to be pretty expensive. It's sort of on the style with Jubilation XXV, but not as much depth. Very homemade smelling, and very cozy.
25th December, 2018

James Bond 007 Seven Intense by James Bond

EDP my butt!! This stuff lasts no more than an hour. It does smell just ok though. With none of the notes really standing out to me. This gives off a mostly drunken raisin vibe, or smells heavy on the rum. Although I don't see it as a note, it's what I get. Although with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper listed here, I really don't get any of them sadly.

Overall, it smells pretty much the same as Rocawear Evolution. In fact I am probably gonna either give this way or sell it in a lot with other stuff I don't use, and get another bottle of Rocawear Evolution, since its performance beats this one on every level.
19th December, 2018

Greenergy by Givenchy

Hmm.. could this have been brought back or reformulated or something? I recently bought a bottle only to return it as it was nothing like I had anticipated. I get more of a blue aquatic thing. Reminds me of something, but I just can't quite remember what. Has a salty vibe as well.

It's definitely not bad, but it's also in now way worth seeking out, as I waited many many years to find a good deal, only to be let down.
08th December, 2018

Uomo Acqua by Valentino

This is actually quite good. A brilliant concept that just falls short in performance.

A Summery/warm weather take on the original, or let's just say Dior Homme knock off. This adds some interesting elements. The note choices are real, not just marketing ploys. It does in fact smell like tomato leaf and mandarin. I know mandarin is not that unusual, but how it's done here, mixed with the tomato leaf, creating this sort of vegetal accord. It's sort of like V8 in a way. I get not only tomato, but celery too.

Again it would be wayyy better if only it performed better. Not sure the perfumer on this, but I think he/she/they did a great job, probably executing notes like this to make a fragrance like so, for the first time. It's different, it's groundbreaking, it has all sorts of facets.. vegetal, nutty, creamy, gourmand, citrusy, dark, yet also very bright.

Wait til it goes on sale. Longevity is lackluster, so for a sale price it'll be worth it. Then when Valentino figures out why it flopped so bad, they can come to reviews like this, and make an "Intense" version.

For now, a very reluctant thumbs up, I don't often give a seal of approval for such poor performance, but since the blend is great, and we know the price will go down before it's discontinued and prices soar (you know the usual) I think it warrants it.
05th December, 2018

Clémentine California by Atelier Cologne

What a shame! This opens up so nice, and vibrant. Bought a sample of it finally, it's been on my test list for a bit. I see where people say it's overly feminine, because after about 5 minutes, it sways that way, but I still liked it, until.. I go to smell my hand and hour later, and it turned into something just bad. It doesn't smell like any citrus, and it doesn't even smell floral anymore. Just kinda smells like rubber, Chlorox, and some type of dog shampoo.. disgusting, yet intriguing. Yet not worth the price, even on sale.
07th October, 2018

Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos

Nice top notes, bitter citruses are intriguing, but everything after the 10 minute mark is just flat out bad. Actually this dry down borders on disgusting.. you be the judge. Sold my bottle!
25th September, 2018

Hugo Iced by Hugo Boss

This is REALLY nice, and a surprise for me. I don't expect much from Hugo fragrances anymore, but this one is excellent.

Initially I can't help but think Orange Sanguine, as it's very "orange juice" heavy. As it settles it becomes more subtle, still giving off a lot of citrus, orange, grapefruit, meyer lemon; which meet an excellent mint note, (think Live Jazz kind of mint). The tea note is kind of like the glue holding everything together, you may not detect it at all, but it's there. It's what makes this fragrance almost drinkable. It smells like an herbal, citrus, minty tea.

The ingredients used seem better quality than usual for Hugo. Longevity is pretty decent at 4-6 hours, projection isn't the greatest, but very good in the first 20 minutes.
25th September, 2018

Animale Azul by Animale Parfums

Fruity Cool Water. Sub par longevity.
04th September, 2018

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

I'll be damned if you find a fragrance that smells more like Irish Spring than this.

Patrick is a sleeper of a fragrance, but not here on Basenotes. All the guys know about it, and their positivity took me to this one.

One of the best, freshest, green fragrances out there. Has good longevity, not amazing though. Unlike Sung Homme, the top notes last forever here, thus giving it the Irish Spring vibe long enough to warrant a bottle purchase. Although it's on my wishlist, I know I will own a bottle in the near future. The opening is a little harsh, but let it settle in and do its magic!
29th August, 2018

Byerley by Parfums de Marly

This opens up with a dry, earthy vetiver and hefty dose of fig (although not listed in notes). I'm getting a strong resemblance to Paradis Perdu. There's also a boozy smell here, almost identical to the cognac note in Ombre Noire.

Although a great opening, anything after 30 minutes is just a snoozefest. Gets boring, uninspired, unoriginal. Starts to smell like pesticides to some degree. Longevity is in the 6-8 hour mark for me, but I stopped caring anyways after the first 30 minutes.

This review is based off of 3 full wearings.
29th August, 2018

360 Degrees Green for Men by Perry Ellis

Starts off very soapy, takes a good 20 minutes before i smell anything "green". The heart actually smells really nice, but it's so light.. I just forget it by the dry down.

Might return to re-review this one at a later date.
12th August, 2018

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Opening is great, but dry down is a bit too "Chanel-y" for my liking. Meaning too powdery and aldehyde heavy. Definitely has the old school Chanel signature vibe to it.
05th August, 2018

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

What the hell is this?? What are these notes? This dones't smell like anything. It smells like a metallic citrus opening, almost reminiscent of Creed SMW, and before I turn my head back to sniff my arm, I smell nothing. That's with 3 good wearings from a sample I paid $6 for. Worst $6 spent ever. Come on.. I'd expect this from Nautica or CK, but not from a fragrance that retails for over $300 a bottle.

If you see this one, just ignore it completely. It's the biggest joke ever.
25th July, 2018