Reviews by The_Cologneist

Clémentine California by Atelier Cologne

What a shame! This opens up so nice, and vibrant. Bought a sample of it finally, it's been on my test list for a bit. I see where people say it's overly feminine, because after about 5 minutes, it sways that way, but I still liked it, until.. I go to smell my hand and hour later, and it turned into something just bad. It doesn't smell like any citrus, and it doesn't even smell floral anymore. Just kinda smells like rubber, Chlorox, and some type of dog shampoo.. disgusting, yet intriguing. Yet not worth the price, even on sale.
07th October, 2018

Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos

Nice top notes, bitter citruses are intriguing, but everything after the 10 minute mark is just flat out bad. Actually this dry down borders on disgusting.. you be the judge. Sold my bottle!
25th September, 2018

Hugo Iced by Hugo Boss

This is REALLY nice, and a surprise for me. I don't expect much from Hugo fragrances anymore, but this one is excellent.

Initially I can't help but think Orange Sanguine, as it's very "orange juice" heavy. As it settles it becomes more subtle, still giving off a lot of citrus, orange, grapefruit, meyer lemon; which meet an excellent mint note, (think Live Jazz kind of mint). The tea note is kind of like the glue holding everything together, you may not detect it at all, but it's there. It's what makes this fragrance almost drinkable. It smells like an herbal, citrus, minty tea.

The ingredients used seem better quality than usual for Hugo. Longevity is pretty decent at 4-6 hours, projection isn't the greatest, but very good in the first 20 minutes.
25th September, 2018

Animale Azul by Animale Parfums

Fruity Cool Water. Sub par longevity.
04th September, 2018

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

I'll be damned if you find a fragrance that smells more like Irish Spring than this.

Patrick is a sleeper of a fragrance, but not here on Basenotes. All the guys know about it, and their positivity took me to this one.

One of the best, freshest, green fragrances out there. Has good longevity, not amazing though. Unlike Sung Homme, the top notes last forever here, thus giving it the Irish Spring vibe long enough to warrant a bottle purchase. Although it's on my wishlist, I know I will own a bottle in the near future. The opening is a little harsh, but let it settle in and do its magic!
29th August, 2018

Byerley by Parfums de Marly

This opens up with a dry, earthy vetiver and hefty dose of fig (although not listed in notes). I'm getting a strong resemblance to Paradis Perdu. There's also a boozy smell here, almost identical to the cognac note in Ombre Noire.

Although a great opening, anything after 30 minutes is just a snoozefest. Gets boring, uninspired, unoriginal. Starts to smell like pesticides to some degree. Longevity is in the 6-8 hour mark for me, but I stopped caring anyways after the first 30 minutes.

This review is based off of 3 full wearings.
29th August, 2018

360 Degrees Green for Men by Perry Ellis

Starts off very soapy, takes a good 20 minutes before i smell anything "green". The heart actually smells really nice, but it's so light.. I just forget it by the dry down.

Might return to re-review this one at a later date.
12th August, 2018

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Opening is great, but dry down is a bit too "Chanel-y" for my liking. Meaning too powdery and aldehyde heavy. Definitely has the old school Chanel signature vibe to it.
05th August, 2018

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

What the hell is this?? What are these notes? This dones't smell like anything. It smells like a metallic citrus opening, almost reminiscent of Creed SMW, and before I turn my head back to sniff my arm, I smell nothing. That's with 3 good wearings from a sample I paid $6 for. Worst $6 spent ever. Come on.. I'd expect this from Nautica or CK, but not from a fragrance that retails for over $300 a bottle.

If you see this one, just ignore it completely. It's the biggest joke ever.
25th July, 2018

SOUL2SOUL Tim McGraw by Tim McGraw

I'm surprised this hasn't been reviewed in the 6 years its been out.

Smells virtually identical to Christain Audiger for Men, only has better projection. This is also similar to Jubilation XXV.
22nd July, 2018

CH Men Central Park by Carolina Herrera

Ya, this is really good. Recently I tried a whole bunch of samples of fragrances released in the past 2-3 years, and this was one of them. It stood out from the rest. Although a designer fragrance, it doesn't follow the trend of current releases which is nice for a change, but it also doesn't go too crazy with being overly unique and becoming a monstrosity.

So basically what this is is the opening of Gucci pour Homme II but extended on for hours. Eventually when I get to the mid and base notes, I pick up some woods and musk. Dry down is not favorable compared to the first 2 hours.

A fairly linear fragrance. 4-5 hours of longevity, and low/moderate projection.

I'm not a big fan of this line.. and I think the original is really overrated, but I also feel this one is really underrated. Absolutely worth a sniff if you see it. Blind bottle worthy if you love spicy fragrances.

1 Million Lucky by Paco Rabanne

Although a nice opening, it is quite sweet, even sweeter than the original 1 Million. After it dries a little, it pretty smells the same as Armani's Stronger with You, with in turn - smells the same as 100 other fragrances. Very heavy on the tonka bean, and synthetic amber.

I was not thrilled, but ok with it.. until I met the dry down. A very chemical smelling dry down. Smells like fried electronics. Fortunately the sweetness is still so strong that it cuts through the base notes and makes it somewhat bearable.

Overall a very synthetic smelling fragrance. Nothing really special, but worth a sniff for sure.

Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

I admit, I really like the opening. A fresh lemon sweet, but also bitter.. kinda reminds me of a sour cocktail. Unfortunately, within minutes, I get the smell of feces, or what people like to now call, Ambroxian. And too much Ambroxian like here, and like in many other fragrances, just rubs my olfactory senses the wrong way.

It's funny, the guy who mentions mothballs, because that's literally what it smells like LOL.

I gotta keep a neutral rating though, because the opening is really really good.

Life by Nautica

This absolutely sucks. When people say generic, I think they exaggerate a bit.. However this is legit the definition of generic, and for good reason why it's going for around $9 shipped a bottle online. i thought maybe after a couple years, nobody speaking about it, maybe it's a hidden gem. I went ahead and bought a bottle.

Wow.. it's not only so generic, but so poorly done. Bergamot, lavender, and some herbals. Nothing salty, nothing oceanic, nothing anything reminiscent of the beach, the ocean, the boardwalk, the sea. Kinda smells like a really flat version of Nautica Aqua Rush.. which was already bad, but is a bombshell compared to this crap!

I always put Nautica in the same realm with Tommy and Ralph Lauren. Those 2 have really upped their game in fragrances, but Nautica is still making the same crap. There has been maybe 1 or 2 bottle worthy fragrances from this house in the whole 25 years they've been making men's frags.

Nautica.. seriously.. step up your damn game or stop making frags!! There's a reason they all flop and go direct to discount bins, even your best seller Voyage is pretty bad.
10th July, 2018

Wave for Him by Hollister

These fragrances are built around top notes, made to please, and often have nothing else to offer after the first 10 minutes, with the exception of So Cal, A&F Fierce, and First Instinct.

Opening is kinda reminiscent of 50 Cent Power, but more aquatic.

Wave has a great fruity opening, very fruity, I get sort of a green grape note that I rather like. Within 20 minutes I'm left with pretty much nothing but lavender. I will say, lavender here is done well, it's spot on. But at the same time.. I don't wanna smell like pure lavender.
09th July, 2018

Eau de Prep by Tommy Hilfiger

One of the best grapefruit openings I've smelled in a long time. It's a little on the sweet side, making it not so natural smelling, but at the same time, it does possess and authentic grapefruit smell, not like candy or anything.

After 5 minutes it sweetens up, and I lose interest.. but wait.. then something magical happens. It suddenly becomes green, with a splash of patchouli. The patchouli in this (although not a listed note) is similar to that in A*Men Pure Shot/Energy. A very clean smelling patchouli.

I think it's a perfect signature fragrance. Might even throw some people off into thinking it's a high end niche fragrance. Nothing too special, aside from the amazing grapefruit up top, it's still not a fragrance that hasn't been done 100 times already. I just think this one may be notably better than all its predecessors.
09th July, 2018

James Bond 007 Ocean Royale by James Bond

Surprisingly quite nice. Smells like it could possibly be part of the Curve line. Problem is, as short lasting as some Curve fragrances are, they are beasts compared to this. The longevity here is abysmal. But hey, at $12 a bottle, I don't care. Scent itself is nice. Sort of a grape/lime aquatic opening, a little salty. Within 10 minutes I get a bit of sandalwood before it dies out completely. Projection seems big at first, but like the longevity it dies off as soon as the top notes do, which is 10 minutes at best. Overall, it stays on my skin about 2 hours tops, which is pretty poor. Where I mostly get a dry sandalwood with some fruity nuances, and unfortunately no seaweed accord that I was hoping for. The fact that coffee is listed as a note in here must be some type of prank, lol.
05th July, 2018

Animale Sport by Animale Parfums

Falls flat of being decent. Smells like rust for a good portion of the opening and mid. Soapy opening, then becomes for fruity. Still with the added rusty smell, it makes this completely unwearable.

Salvador pour Homme by Salvador Dali

Full disclosure: I'm sorry, and hope this review doesn't offend anyone or get removed. I try to be as honest as possible, and I apologize if my choice of words offends anyone.

Another bottle I will be selling soon.. Intrigued by an interesting array of notes, I bit the bullet on this one. Fortunately I got a smaller sized bottle for under $15 shipped.

I don't know how else to say this, but it smells like a sweaty butt, after you've been working out. The note of cinnamon can have that "ass smelling" effect. There's nothing redeeming, and it just gets worse and worse. I can't describe the note or accord behind the cinnamon, I don't think it's pear. It could be a very poor use of sandalwood.

Promising notes comes together for an absolutely repulsive fragrance. One of the worst I've smelled in a while. Also like my previous review on Full Choke, this has the same metallic/rusty smell as well. No wonder it doesn't sell.

Full Choke by Francesco Smalto

This is gross. I took a gamble and blind bought it, intrigued by presentation and unique notes.

Full Choke is basically a fresh fragrances made repulsive with this "gun powder" note. It's not done tastefully. It seems like it was a mistake.. and then afterward they just decided.. "wow this kinda smells like gun powder, let's make it as a note". The dry down is a little bore agreeable than the harsh metallic/rusty smelling opening, but I just want it off my skin asap. I'll be selling this one soon for sure.

Cordovan by Banana Republic

Despite having a somewhat unique note set, this is a very average fragrance. I find myself often saying "it's so simple, yet so unique" -- kind of the case with this one too.

The strong metallic vibe is the star here. As bad as it may sound, it just works. It kind of has a Creed Himalaya thing going on for the first 20 minutes or so. As Bigsly points out, it's very well blended, and hard to detect notes.. but one note that is prominent is the fig. It takes a few minutes to come out, but once it does, you can't miss it. It's a darkish, dried fig kind of note. Has that raisin kind of smell. I would put nutmeg as the second most prominent note.

The dry down is boring, flat, indistinguishable. The scent doesn't really go anywhere after the nutmeg emerges. It fades out as a fig/nutmeg, metallic fragrance, over a lavender base.

It took me a while to finally pull the notes apart here, again very well blended, very well balanced too. It's weird because I don't really care for the fragrance, but sometimes I just get an urge to wear it.
02nd July, 2018

Morn to Dusk by Eau d'Italie

Delicious tonka fragrance laced with creamy vanilla, over a smokey slightly incense base. Very boozy too.

I'd probably spring for a bottle if it was more unique, but it falls into the same category with other boozy vanilla fragrances.
21st June, 2018

Russian Tea by Masque

Love this stuff.. Smells like L'air du Desert Marocain, with an added minty/tea vibe.
12th June, 2018

Just Cavalli for Him (new) by Roberto Cavalli

This is quite good and very underrated. Imagine a much better version of CK In2U, that's what this is. The opening is very powerful. Dries down to a subtle, cocoa/iris type of fragrance. A little powdery in the dry down. the opening is really nice with the chili note.
10th June, 2018

Voyage N-83 by Nautica

Wow.. it's like they took Voyage, left it in the sun, then mixed it with blood and rust. That's exactly how this smells. Sorry but this is so bad. Please discontinue ASAP!!
31st May, 2018

Aramis Life by Aramis

The notes sounded promising.. unfortunately this is a mix of crap. I get no cucumber, very little lime, nothing refreshing or uplifting. A mix mash of cloudy citrus notes, under a spicy, woody base. Nothing particularly stands out, and overall it just smells foul. I have the older bottle style too, maybe it'll fetch decent money on Ebay.
31st May, 2018

The Mobster by Dua Fragrances

I'm not sure if this is Cannabliss with the Mobster, the note break down looks about the same. In which case, it is an awesome fragrance! Not sure what inspired it, but it truly is good. I haven't tried that many from this brand, but this this is one of the better ones. Not sure why this house gets so much hate either..

Cannabliss with the Mobster opens up with a dark, wet, forest note combined with whiskey. It reminds me of Baraonda but not as sweet. With a dry woody cedar undertone, and like an unsweetened maple kind of smell, it really stands out from anything in my collection.

A couple critiques. Even with a 25% off code, it's around 40 bucks for a 1 oz bottle, but the juice inside is very high quality.. I feel it could be cheaper, like maybe 30 a bottle. My other gripe is the fragrance inside the color is black, not sure if dyed this color or if it's from the absolutes used. It stains the skin, and clothing even worse. So when I put it on, I tend to dab it off with a tissue.. in which case I lose some of the extreme power from the opening. Though not enough to warrant a low rating, this is impeccable juice, unique and super complex. Deserves some attention. Trust me, get a bottle.. CANNABLISS with the Mobster, not The Mobster, I don't know if there's a difference... as I have never tried The Mobster.
06th May, 2018

Fucking Fabulous by Tom Ford

Yuck! This is foul! I tried it 3 separate times, and got something different 2 times. The second 2 times I got the same thing.. so here's what I'm going with. Strawberries, almond, tons of tonka, and a weird chemical smelling plastic. Although from a distance I don't get the plastic much, but from up close it's highly noticeable. There's a lot of different facets, but overall it's a type of gourmand scent. The dry down is much different, and I get more of a ginger smell.

I feel that the leather note clashes with the gourmand notes too much, and that's what's making it unenjoyable for me.

Imagine Black XS, mixed with John Varvatos, mixed with Guerlain Ideal EDT, mixed with 5 O'clock Au Gingembre.. and that's basically what this is.
04th May, 2018 (last edited: 09th June, 2018)

Coffee Absolute by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

From a very small sample, what I gather. This is a really solid coffee bean scent. It's not creamy, or like a coffee drink, rather the beans themself. The opening might be a turn off to some, it has a weird smoky vibe, it smells unnatural, but after 10 minutes it gets pretty good.

I'll need to get another sample of this to reassess it.
29th April, 2018

1 Million Privé by Paco Rabanne

This opens up as a more floral 1 Million and dries down to a clone of Amrbe Narguile. It's actually puzzling how so many reviews later, nobody picks this up on any site. Maybe nobody has tried Ambre Narguile.. oh well.. their loss.

This is an excellent fragrance, the best 1 Million flanker in my opinion, full bottle worthy, and worth retail too.

Lasts pretty long, and has good projection, but not as beastly as 1 Million.
12th April, 2018