Reviews by The_Cologneist

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Easily the best wearable rose fragrance for men. I don't get much of the cumin which is a good thing; but I do get the spice, which is a good thing too, because without it, it would just be boring. The rose note is green and "dewy", like roses, mixed with the morning air, after a rainy night.

By far the best rose fragrance I have tried thus far. High quality, natural smelling, long lasting, and somewhat unique. I have yet to find a cheaper alternative though, but the journey continues.

25th February, 2015

Bijan VIP for Men by Bijan

Spicy, woodsy, cheap, body odor. Want something better, try the original Tommy Bahama for Men. VIP is too unbalanced, too much pepper, not enough woods. Has the smell of nail polish remover in the background. Got rid of my bottle, and it won't be missed.

20th February, 2015

Navigator by Dana

I used to own this when it first came out, I think I was in middle school. Either my nose has changed, or its definitley been reformulated. The original had a much better dry down, long lasting citrus, and much more tart.

With that tart smell in my mind, I bought a small half oz bottle on Ebay for 5 bucks shipped, so I could reminisce.. but to my surprise, something different than I remember.

Opening, pretty similar to how I remember, although less tart, and slightly powdery now, a little bit of Dana Canoe in there, but mostly a citrus blast in the opening, dominated by bergamot and like a combination of orange and maybe neroli. It kind turns into this spicy citrus within a minute, but not spicy from spices, spicy from the cheap perfume oils and composition used to make this fragrance, while at the same time, the smell intrigues me. It's like, it smells could as it projects, but when you stick your nose right into it, that's when it smells cheap, and spicy, and even a little chemical. After a few more minutes it gets a little powdery, and after about an hour it gets much darker. What I felt was oakmoss appears to not me a note in the fragrance, but I get tons of oakmoss, may just be a dirty vetiver note too. There's sandalwood and patchouli more so after that, with a slight musky feel. I think the note that's throwing everything all over the pace is the lavender, it just doesn't fit in. This should be a citrus fragrance, with a woodsy base, it would have been more generic, but it would have turned out better in my opinion.

This reminds me of Azzaro pour Homme L'eau, only L'eau is way too heavy on the bergamot, so I actually prefer this to it. Though neither of these fragrance are worth more than 3 stars.

The best part of Navigator is the cool sleek bottle, although cheap once you take the cap off. There's a point about 10 minutes into the stuff where it smells damn good though, after the chemical spicy accord fades off, it leaves me with this subtle blend of citrus and sandalwood.

Surprisingly for such a cheapy, this one goes back and forth, which is something you usually don't get with drugstore fragrances, they start off with 2 bold notes, and finish with 1 smell in the dry down. Navigator to me changes a lot, and I give credit for that.

19th February, 2015

RSVP by Kenneth Cole

I don't agree with all the negativity on this one. Sure it smells synthetic, but what did ya think, it's Kenneth Cole for Pete's sake.

I'm not gonna write up a huge review on this one, I just wanted to give my thoughts. It smells like Ck Euphoria, without the nasty suede note. It smells even more so like Daddy Yankee for Men, but not as good. So it falls somewhere between the 2 for me. There's an interesting leafy green note in here, maybe papyrus? it's the same note used in Kenneth Cole Signature, and in Cereus #4, although it's masked mostly in RSVP with an array of synthetic sweet and woodsy notes.

It's been rereleased recently, so I got a bottle for like 30 bucks. Not worth more than that though. Get Daddy Yankee instead, it's much cheaper, bottle is tacky, but who cares.. it's cheaper with a much better dry down.

18th February, 2015

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

Ehh, I'm not sure I really like this stuff. First off this is nothing like the original Declaration, except maybe a hint of pepper.

D'Un Soir opens up with an awesome rose note, that lasts a whole 30 seconds. After which, it turns into an overly synthetic accord, that smells pretty much identical to Raid roach spray. Finally, hours later.. 3-4 hours later, a nicer base settles in.

The majority of the time this is on my skin, it is unenjoyable, I will probably sell or swap my bottle soon.

13th February, 2015

Queen by Queen Latifah

I usually don't review women's fragrances, but this one is fairly simple, and familiar to me. I used to own a bottle of Vanille Patchouli by Molinard, and they smell almost identical.

Here In Queen, I get an equal blend of vanilla, and patchouli. It's very well paired, it smells even a bit natural, more so the patchouli than the vanilla. This is definitley a unisex fragrance. This has much less projection than Vanille Patchouli which I like too, because with how sweet it is, I don't wanna project so much, as it can become cloying.

I can't say that I pick up on any notes other than vanilla, patchouli for the most part. Hours later I smell more tonka than vanilla. I also began picking up on tonka more toward the beginning. Not that obnoxiously sweet tonka either, which is a plus for me. I don't get any of the florals. Maybe a little musk and sandalwood in the base.

I've seen this for as cheap as 10 bucks a bottle, for a bigger bottle. A great buy in my view, and a pretty nice bottle too.

02nd February, 2015

Tabaco Latino by Monotheme

I kind of see the correlation with B*Men, only Tabaco Latino smells more like piss. This is probably my least worn fragrance in my wardrobe, but it does dry down pretty nicely. Either way, I got a big bottle for like 12 bucks or something, so it's not like I lost much.

01st February, 2015

Rainforest by Silvestre

Not at all what I was expecting. The opening is pretty harsh. There's a heavy synthetic tonka note, citrus, and an overdose of either sage or thyme. Eventually it mellows out into something slightly better, but nothing special. The first 2 hours of this smell horrible. Returning my bottle. BTW this smells nothing like a rain forest or a forest.

28th January, 2015

M Génération by Mauboussin

Somewhere in the same group with Interlude Man, and Bentley Intense, only much better, and much more wearable. Upen the opening I get a lot of incense, but it quickly mellows into a heavy dose of iris and sweet woodsy notes.. probably the combination of sandalwood and cinnamon. It has a incense feel more than an incense smell to me. No stupid annoying fruity notes here, just pure manliness. Modern, conservative, and niche quality for sure. Great price too. Would love if they made smaller bottles, like a 1.7 oz or even a 1 oz, 3.3 oz of this will never get used in my collection.

This also reminds me of Versace Man, without all the saffron.

27th January, 2015 (Last Edited: 13th February, 2015)

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Pine? Where?? I just don't get it. This is a review of vintage Krizia Uomo.

The opening strongly reminds me of Havana by Aramis.. but within minutes I get a slightly soapy quality and huge blast of aldehydes. Still no pine. NONE. A shame, because this was recommended to be a pine monster, and I literally smell none. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions too quickly, this is only my second time wearing this.

As it dries down it reminds me of a mix of several old school scents, notably Giorgio Beverly Hills. It has that weird plasticy smelling soapy quality, very "aldehydic", with a sweet and dirty moss note in the background.

Still on the fence with this one. Nothing unique or groundbreaking.

08th January, 2015

Green Jeans by Versace

Ehh. Mehh.. Smells like a million other fragrances. Opens up with a fresh lime note, very green both in citrus and aromatics, also very synthetic smelling; musky and peppery for a bit too. Oregano absolutely dominates the middle, along with a nice pine.. not a resinous pine, more of a light synthetic smelling pine, like maybe something you'd find in one of those room deodorizers. The base is ultimately boring, very woodsy and mossy. A sort of unsweetened amber accord through the middle and end, sort of smells like beeswax almost.

Like most from the Jeans line of Versace, you can expect a complex fragrance, but also like the rest of the line, you can expect a very synthetic smell and feel. I have only tried Baby Blue Jeans, Blue Jeans, and Green Jeans. Blue takes the cake hands down. Baby Blue is the worst, and Green is smack dab in the middle. I need to try out Metal, and Black, which are gonna be hard to find.

Back on topic though, I wouldn't bother seeking this one out. The only natural smelling part is the oregano, if ya wanna smell like oregano, then go for it.

25th December, 2014

Bentley for Men Intense by Bentley

Really?

Smells like powdery plastic berries, woods and incense. A wannabe Jubilation XXV, try harder. If this is considered the better of the 2 original releases, then I don't even wanna try Bentley for Men.

20th December, 2014

Voyage by Nautica

Does it smell good? Ya
    Does it last long? Ya
    Does its price tag justify a purchase? Ya
    Is it high quality? Ya

The typical things I look for in a fragrance, and it passes in everything, yet for some reason I just can't wear Nautica Voyage. I've tried over & over, and I just can't stand something about it. It has like this fruity vibe that reminds me of jelly, that's just too potent of a fruity note to wear. I wish it were lighter, not in projection and longevity, but in scent itself. I'm almost tempted to give it a thumbs down, but I do enjoy smelling it in the air, or on others, just not on myself.

18th December, 2014

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

This basically smells like buttercream. Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, amber, amber, AMBER. Not really my thing.. just too simple and basic. Very unisex, very sweet, very strong, very gourmand. I had 2 - 1.3 oz bottles, 1 I swapped off, the 2nd is on its way out. Barely wore it, and I never reach for it.

Undeniably a high quality fragrance of niche like character. Just make sure you love amber and vanilla, because that's pretty much all this one is. Although I should note, that at some time, it gives out this strange synthetic grape note.

15th December, 2014

Loud for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

Let me start off by saying, I enjoy Hilfiger fragrances. They are as designer as can be, yet they take risks, and in most cases end up with a unique but safe fragrance. At least in the past they have, with stuff like the original Tommy, and True Star, but some of this newer stuff has been pretty bad. Loud came out in 2010, right around the time they start transitioning over into just boring mediocre fragrances. Loud is a very boring fragrance, very safe.

Amongst the opening, I get this fruity, jammy rose note, which is pretty nice, very fruity, but goes away quickly unfortunately. It fades into mostly patchouli -- the patchouli note is very wearable though, it isn't heavy, but it is the dominating note. There's still some rose here, but it's more of a naturally sweet rose, and since there is so much patchouli, it's pretty hard to detect the rose. As it dries down, this dirty dry tobacco note emerges and mixes in. I also detect a little vanilla in there in the base. Fragrantica lists only 3 notes, rose, patchouli, and tobacco, and I agree, those are the main notes here. The smell is familiar, it's not anything new. It lasts about 4-5 hours on me, with minimal projection, but good sillage. The sillage I know is good because I got a compliment when walking by somebody, but I know I cannot smell it radiating off my skin, only when I stick my nose into it up close.

10 bucks for a bottle is a fair price. Anything more than that isn't worth it, so don't bother.

13th December, 2014

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

This is a really nice smell, but it's not very unique. The typical fresh vetiver, it follows Grey Vetiver. As it dries it has a slight dark, inky aroma, reminiscent of the original He Wood. TONS of violet in the opening. Don't know what violet smells like? Start here. It blends beautifully with vetiver in the opening, creating this gothic like accord. Dark, earthy, but also versatile and very wearable. Into a base of cedarwood and a little incense. A note that smells like a lilly flower lingering around; after doing some research, turns out it's jasmine. A note I usually despise, seems to work out ok in this one. There's some sort of herbal not in the background, I wanna say basil or oregano. This herbal note when combining with the violet and vetiver makes for some type of awkward BBQ meat accord, that I can't seem to get around.

It's just okay to me, it's nothing to go out of your way to try and get; especially now since being discontinued, and harder to find, prices are climbing up really high. Right now they're at the point where the discounted bottles are harder to find, you'll be paying around retail, or right at retail. I do see this one going up in price over the next year though.

In my opinion, Dsquared cashed in on the He Wood brand on this one. Although He Wood wasn't a huge success in retail stores, it still sold pretty well from my understanding, and has its supporters. Rocky Mountain Wood is just another overrated flanker.

11th December, 2014 (Last Edited: 26th January, 2015)

Brit Rhythm for Him by Burberry

The bottle is really nice, as with most Burberry's, but other than that Rhythm offers very little. We don't buy fragrances for the bottles; we buy them for the time and skill put into the fluid inside.

It kind of follows under the category of Polo Red, but not as spicy, and it also reminds me of CK Shock, and Escada Magnetism. Ya see where I'm going here, as Burberry went for a darker, more mysterious type of fragrance. Brit being one of my least favorite Burberry's even bordering on horrible, Rhythm is just that much worse. It just doesn't do anything, it doesn't go anywhere. An overdose of tonka bean, cheap synthetic tobacco, woods and spices. Nothing stands out, and nothing grabs me. Plus the heavy tonka fragrances are getting really old.. let's move on.

08th December, 2014

34 Boulevard Saint Germain by Diptyque

34 Boulevard Saint Germain is a very well crafted fragrance, that hits me from many angles. My only gripe are the florals, making it a little powdery. This basically smells like an updated and more complex version of Obsession for men. That's if somebody were to ask me to compare it to something... while at the same time, it certainly has its own character.

There's so much going on in this fragrance. It's resinous, deep, but also citric, floral, woodsy, spicy, and pretty much any category you can think of expect aquatic/fruity, although it is a little fruity. The bottle is beautiful too.

I'm not big on niche, I find many niche offerings to be unwearable because the taste is just too acquired. Even with 34 Boulevard Saint Germain being probably the most complex and different offering from Diptyque that I have tried, it's still very wearable. The one time I wore it out, from my sample, I got a compliment too. Although this isn't something I would buy, because it's a little too floral/powdery, I can't deny that it's a beautiful fragrance. Diptyque, keep up the good work. Eau Duelle is one of my favorites ever. The quality of your fragrances show, and the art work in the perfumery is unmistakable.

03rd December, 2014

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Chic is a hard fragrance not to like, but for me, it's also a hard fragrance not to love. I find it to be very run of the mill, with a slight twist on it. Use of the watermelon note in the opening. The watermelon opening is watery, transparent, and not overly sweet, or synthetic which is a nice change of pace, for a fragrance like this. There's a little kick of pepper and woods there, but mostly, a hefty dose of lemon is what I get. Transitioning smoothly into suede, in the middle. A very woodsy base, as seen in the notes, with like a white musk, and some tonka. Tonka is not overdone, which I am grateful for, otherwise this would probably be a thumbs down for me.

I've heard some people call this fragrance "mind blowing". Well, it doesn't blow my mind, but it's not a bad scent. I think there are better though, in this genre. Overall, it wears a bit light on my skin. Projection is ok. What I mean by light.. it just doesn't feel like a very depthful fragrance, I expect more from my fragrances.

22nd September, 2014

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

The almighty hyped up Jubilation 25. "Feels like royalty", "There is nothing like it". A few quotes I've heard many times about this one. Jubilation 25 is certainly a nice fragrance, but I wouldn't say I feel like royalty when I wear it, and I wouldn't say it's entirely unique. To be quite frank it kind of just smells like a really resinous, incense-y, prune juice to me.

High quality, most certainly. That I can tell just by the fact that everytime I spray this on my skin, it takes an hour for the oil to dry up, just by looking at it. That tells me there's a high concentration of fragrance oils in here, which is a plus. Strong powerful ingredients, combined with a master perfumer like Bertrand Duchaufour. Ya it's hard not to like this one. One of the better, longer lasting blackberry notes around. The incense is irritable if you love incense like I do. It's resinous, it's dark, it's spicy, it's sweet, there's a Gothic edge to it. It lasts forever, it projects pretty well. There's quite an abundance of notes here in this one, but the blackberry, cinnamon, resins, and incense are the shining stars here. The base, I get more of an oakmoss, patchouli, woodsy combo, along with a fitting oud note, used very well here.

The thing with oud for me, is it's usually just paired up with rose, and often times fails for me when put in with so many other notes. Bertrand Duchaufour's expertise really shine on this one, and I think it's his best work, out of everything I have tried.

The price.. that's the only drawback. If it were 100 bucks less, this would be the best thing on the planet. If you have the money though, this one is worth it, and if you know me, I don't much condone niche fragrances, price gouging their customers. I simply find this fragrance to be beautiful though. Time and effort put into it. Great use of ingredients. You're paying for the artwork too, and Duchaufour is no slouch on this one. Stunning!

On another note though. It does remind me very much of Varvatos Vintage, which I have. So for the time being, until I hit the lottery, I will stick with Vintage, even if I have to reapply it twice.

Intense Black by Lomani

I really didn't care for this at all. After a couple wearings, I swapped my bottle away. Intense Black has been compared to Royal Oud by Creed, which is a fragrance I have never tried. I don't get any oud in Intense Black though.

What I get is a boring, common, sweet/spicy opening, with a woodsy dry down. It mostly reminds me of Diesel Plus Plus, but there's definitley a bit of a Spicebomb thing going on here too. It's just boring and redundant to me, it's been done to death, but much better from other fragrances. Has a cheap, and strong opening. Waste of 15 bucks for me.

AB Spirit Silver by Lomani

Like many, I've tried all the Aventus clones. This one is probably one of the better ones, but lets face it.. pineapple is a hard note to pull off. So it's gonna be hard using lower quality ingredients to try and get the smell of pineapple. Creed Aventus does an amazing job at pineapple, one of the few fragrances that makes the note smell so irresistible, and that in combination with the craftsmanship and other notes, make Aventus what it is. But this isn't an Aventus review.

Speaking of Spirit Silver as its own fragrance, it really does smell like a cheap version of Aventus. You get the pineapple, you get the black currant, you get the apple; a mossy dry down with a vanilla undertone. It does smell good, but to me it also smells like a 20 dollar fragrance. There's also this "grilled meat" note I get in the dry down that really just annoys me.

I think that in due time, we will get a better quality Aventus clone, it's just gonna take more time for somebody to perfect it with the right quality ingredients, without charging us huge mark ups.

Kokorico by Night by Jean Paul Gaultier

Surprised nobody had reviewed this one yet.

Kokorico Night is quite reminiscent of the original, only better. MUCH better. The original has a very nice dusty/dry cocoa note, but is overwhelming with the sharp cedar dry down.

The Night version here starts off smoother, creamier. Opening up with a nice blend of citrus and rhubarb, transitioning into a creamier cocoa, although still somewhat dry, not the same exact cocoa note as the original. I do get the cedar dry down like the original, only this one is so much better and much less sharp. Likely because there is the sweetness from tonka in the dry down here.

Although I don't think this version is as unique and in your face as the original, I find it much easier to wear, which warrants a thumbs up for me. I prefer this to the original.. and there are certainly similarities.

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

For me, this is a hard fragrance to review, because it changes so much. It starts off with one of the best citrus openings I can remember, combining a smooth violet note, and a slight medicinal feel from the thyme. Then it transforms into a lot of jasmine, which is a note I have a strong disliking for. Eventually the top notes comes back, but a little less powerful, some woods there, before meshing with the green grass, and pepper, that makes this fragrance so green, that everyone talks about. With wafts of suede and cinnamon poking in and out, and a kind of nutty like smell in the base. It makes for a unique take on simple notes.

David Apel, a perfumer I am not too familiar with, really takes my nose on some twists and turns here, yet maintains the overall appeal. By keeping the citrus and green notes up front, and the more unconventional notes that don't really fit in, like the cinnamon, and suede in the back, yet still noticeable. I think the blueberry I am smelling is the note of cassis, which I am not very familiar with, but it keeps things very interesting.

Although it is nothing like Nouveau Bowery, note wise; they sort of resemble one another to me, at least with their citrus notes. Bleecker Street is far more complex though. As it dries it reminds me of Polo Modern Reserve, without the heavy oakmoss. Until the long and final dry down where I smell tagetes mostly, although not listen int he notes. These are the little orange, red, yellow flowers that have a citric smell. This smell just lasts and lasts and lasts. It makes for a different dry down. I don't often smell citrus in the end of a fragrance.

Price point just doesn't justify what I get here. I'd say 85 bucks for a big bottle would be a fair price. Bond #9 prices are just way too inflated, and that's my biggest problem with this house.

14th September, 2014 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2014)

Nouveau Bowery by Bond No. 9

Not too shabby, but not worth retail price. Nouveau Bowery is one of the more likeable fragrances from this house imo, it's made to please the masses. Lime.. who doesn't love a nice clean lime note? That's what I get in the opening here.. not as candy like, or as sweet like many lime notes, more tart here, almost like a Jean Claude Ellena take on a citrus note. I get some blonde woods in the background, right off the opening, and I can tell there's gonna be some light woods happening later on.

To my surprise, the lime note is still going strong by the 4 hour mark. Pretty impressed by that, but does it condone a 200+ dollar price tag? Not so sure yet. Mid way through and a floral like note comes out, a very soft light floral note. I am not familiar with "wild lily", but I presume that is what I am smelling here. Half way in and I am getting a clean, very fresh, almost fabric softener like smell, accompanied by a dominant lime note, still very present, but faded more. Less zesty, and fruity, and more synthetic smelling at this point. More along the lines of a cleaning solution.

By the time I smell some vetiver and oakmoss, I am 4 hours + in. The vetiver is light and lemony, the oakmoss is subtle. Not getting any patchouli though, but I only got a couple wearings from a small sample of this.

To me, there are just better, lime fragrances out there that have a long lasting lime note to feed your lime fancy. This one sits pretty close to the skin after the 1 hour mark, and then the lime becomes more of a synthetic smelling chemical lime, like I said, the equivalent of a cleaning product. For 200+ a bottle, you could do wayyyyy better.

14th September, 2014

Intense Oud by Jovan

The initial blast of this is actually nice, and somewhat promising. I get more rose than anything. Very similar to the greenish rose from Rose 31. However, this very very quickly dies down, (within seconds) and reveals its inner shell. A cheap, plasticy smelling oud. It almost smells like those blowing bubbles too, if you smell the liquid inside. Sort of like a really cheap bubble bath with no particular flavor. As it dries, it kind of has this chlorine smelling undertone, like you know when you get out of the pool, and your skin has that faint chlorine smell. I really don't like this at all. The oud in here is not good, and barely even smells like wood. More like an abundance of cheap chemicals, thrown together, trying to achieve the oud accord, and failing miserably.

The more it dies down, the slightly, ever so slightly better it gets. Becoming less chemical smelling, and a little more spicy, but not really in a good way either. I can't help but think of body odor.

Why this has 3 thumbs up is completely beyond me.. I think this is one of the worst smelling fragrances I have ever smelled. You be the judge though, it's quite cheap!

13th September, 2014

Azzaro Pour Homme L'Eau by Azzaro

A nice rendition paying homage to the great Azzaro pour Homme, but it still doesn't come close.

When you're an advocate for a fragrance, as I am for Azzaro pour Homme. It's no secret that if you know me through this site, you know my passion about the original, and how I always recommend it when a man is looking for the ultimate "alpha-male" fragrance.

The original, words are hard to describe how great it is, simply perfection. This review is about the 2011 flanker though simply titled L'eau. L'eau opens up with a much stronger presence of citrus, I get a lot of yuzu. Within minutes, the lavender begins to emerge more, creating this slightly powdery, somewhat bitter accord as it blends with the citrus, but mostly still noticeable is the yuzu, which is a strange almost plasticy smelling grapefruit aroma, that has a hint of neroli there. Yuzu is a pretty unmistakeable note, because it is so unique, but sometimes I can get it confused with other citrus notes blended with floral notes, for example combinations of grapefruit,lemon, jasmine, and lavender. L'eau dries down into a mossy, mucky and woodsy base; but somewhere in between the obnoxious overuse of citrus, and the smooth refined base, I get a dose of geranium in the middle, but it just doesn't fit in to me, as it does in the original.

Better than the original. HELLLLL NO! The original has so much more going on, and is much more masculine. L'eau is not bad, but the citrus heavy top make it more generic to me. The geranium note in this one feels out of place.

Am I a fan? Well.. no. but it is still better than most of the swill produced lately. This one is a modern flanker that actually goes back to its roots and highlights the original to a very good degree. It's just to me.. the original is already so perfect.. why even bother? A biased review from me is what you will get here, though I am being as honest as possible on what my nose picks up. Biased on my opinion rather, I would not purchase this again because I find it boring. I picked up a nice big 3.4 oz bottle off Ebay for around 20 bucks shipped, which is a good deal for a big bottle of a designer fragrance. My 2 cents.. don't buy this if you have the original, and actually love the original, because this one just isn't as good. However, if you are one of the many, many, many people who have tried the original, hate the opening, and love its dry down, this may be a good option for you, since they dry down similar, but this one has a different opening.

29th August, 2014

Cerruti Image Harmony by Cerruti

A wonderful, pleasant, soft, subtle experience. Image Harmony, like others have said, is a completely different fragrance from the original Image.

Harmony opens up with a beautiful, soft, floral pear note. It's creamy, and there's a little bit of a zing there from a lime note. It quickly transforms into a smooth jasmine/vanilla. I get some mint, patchouli, figs, woods, musk, and a hint of pepper as well. There really is a lot going on here, but you wouldn't know, because it's so smooth.

It comes down to smelling mainly like 3 notes: pear, jasmine, and vanilla. Teetering on the unisex line as well, possibly even leaning more towards feminine.. Let it die down a little before judging. If you can get a good deal on this one, pick it up, because it's great quality, with great notes, and nothing is unbalanced. One drawback.. projection is below average, to maybe even poor.

30th July, 2014 (Last Edited: 28th December, 2014)

Classic Red by Jaguar

Well, I wouldn't say entirely unique. The top notes are certainly delightful, a blend of blueberry, raspberry, citrus and leather to my nose, upon the opening. I thought perhaps a dark chocolate vibe or perhaps patchouli, then realized it smells more like a light leather note upon the opening notes. This quickly fades into more or less an overdose of tonka bean, with a slight, very very slight, creamy berry vibe going on there. The dry down of this reminds me of Thallium. In fact, I would say this fragrance is about 90% Thallium, minus the top notes, which only last about 5-7 minutes anyways. Had the top notes lasted longer, had there been less tonka, or at least less so soon, I would be more satisfied. The abundance of tonka is just a cover-up for not having anything else to put in. Tonka, fruity dry down.. mostly tonka.. very boring.

I could have this with Thallium, and for 15 bucks, have it project for a lot better too.

15th July, 2014

Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani

Wow, I can't believe after this has been out for 2 years, nobody has made the comparison of this to Bellagio for men. To me, this smells a little like the original Acqua di Gio in the opening notes, but becomes more floral, sharp and powdery. I'm immediately reminded of Bellagio, or maybe even L'Eau D'Issey.

I'm really not much into this one at all, but I do enjoy the cedar note in the dry down, it adds a certain character to it, not the typical cedar note, not very sharp or peppery.

15th July, 2014