Reviews by The_Cologneist

Gap Established 1969 Inspire by Gap

I stumbled onto this and Gap 1969 Electric at TJ Maxx, blind bought 1 oz bottles of both. Not thrilled with the purchase, but it's they're both still better than most mall brand scents (Hollister, AE, A&F, etc.)

The opening here is very lemony, a little powdery, and yes lavender too, that's what I pick up on. It quickly gets sweeter and powdery, sort of reminds me of Dolce & Gabbana pH, without the tobacco. It sort of has this annoying spice note, kinda of smells like B/O. It dries down cheap and plastic smelling.. which ruins it for me.

I guess you get what you pay for, 7 bucks. It kind of has that barbershop smell, but it really goes wrong into the dry down. Having a green package, I was expecting a more green scent, but that isn't the case at all. As it stands now, I am not liking this at all, but maybe my mind will change after more wearings.

If you do stumble across these at the discounters, go with the blue bottle entitled Electric. It's far more unique, with a sweet citrus opening, and an herbal dry down, it also doesn't smell cheap and synthetic like this one.
03rd November, 2015

Individuel by Montblanc

I have never smelled Original Santal, so I can't compare with that. I do however own Joop! and I think out of every fragrance I've smelled and owned, or currently own, the most similar one to Individuel is Joop! for sure.

I've read a lot of reviews on Individuel and not one person has said how in the opening this smells EXACTLY like marijuana, and good pot too lol. I love the natural smell of marijuana and anything that smells like it, even for 5-10 seconds like this does, gets good marks for me. After about 10 seconds, the marijuana smell is gone, but that first 10 seconds is bliss for me! It quickly fades into Joop! pretty much but with a heavy citrus on top. In Florida, it's common to see a flower called Lantana. I'm no expert on the flower, but there are hundreds of species of them, the most common here will be orange, yellow and maybe a little red in one bud, with multiple little flowers creating a dome shape (google it lol), the leaves on the plant are sort of furry, and have a citrus aroma too as the flower has a highly potent citrus smell that is hard to ignore. It's aromatic, you can smell from the distance, and for the most part, it smells like a blend of mandarin or oranges, lemon, maybe a little lime too. A unique flower to look at, with an amazing smell, to me Individuel has an accord that smells identical to this flower. It smells like this for a bit, that sort of reverts back to that marijuana smell I got from the opening. This is all going on under that base of Joop!. That's about the best way I can explain it.

Performance wise on me, not nearly where Joop! is, I get a good 10 hours with Individuel, but a very soft last 5-6 hours, making this pretty much a skin scent after 4. Projection is great in the first 30 minutes to an hour, but after that, I forget I'm even wearing it. No sillage, no wafts, not even on hot days, the humidity did nothing to help this one project more. I gotta find where I sprayed it and bury my nose deep into it to get something.

I do think it's a better, more wearable Joop!, Joop! is fun, but very loud, although not dated in my opinion for its time. I'm glad I found Individuel, and I look to try more from Mont Blanc, as this was my first bottle from the house.
30th October, 2015

Spirited by Perry Ellis

Pleased to be the first to review this completely mediocre fragrance. Let me start by saying I love the bottle, It's mostly red, sprayer works great. I got the 1.7 oz, and it's not a bulky awkward shaped bottle, it fits nicely in the hand and even better on the shelf. I paid about 11 bucks for my bottle on fragnet, it's a tester, brand new of course.

Onto the scent.. This one really opens up like DKNY Red Delicious for men, a little more bland though, a little less of a juicy apple note. After a couple seconds I get some ginger, but not much. After about 10 minutes, I'm left with a very mediocre sandalwood/pink pepper combo, the same one that's been done to death in 20 other Perry Ellis men's fragrances. Very generic dry down, as I would expect from this brand.

Usually Perry Ellis does pretty good top notes, that only last a few minutes, and boring dry downs. The quality of their stuff though is better than a lot of designers, but they seriously lack in longevity and projection, and Spirited is no exception. 4 hours tops with longevity. Which by the way, it becomes more sweet with the tonka bean later on (but very faint), projection is close to average, but slightly below.

Conclusion.. if you can get a bottle for 10-15 bucks, it's a deal. If not don't bother. This a good scent to grab when you want something that's not entirely generic, because it is a little bit different, but you don't want your fragrance to last too long. Let's be honest, we love great longevity, but a lot of us love short lasting fragrances too, to fit the occasion. I have a couple in the 4 hour category, and this is one of them.
28th October, 2015

Moschino Forever Sailing by Moschino

This interesting fragrance name drew me to sample this. I was able to get a mini bottle on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Forever sailing opens with that common tangy sour fruit note (I'm assuming kumquat or some type of tomato leaf/citrus combo). Promptly the dominant mint note comes out, the sour citrus note fades and takes a back seat, and quickly I get lots of lavender behind the mint (within 3 minutes of application). Now I'm left with a mint, lavender, citrus, and some nice musky woods all at once. This one quickly develops into the scent it was made to be. It's not very unique, but it is different enough for me to not be able to compare it to anything right off the top of my head. There's a smokiness going on. Although the notes and composition isn't entirely unique, the fact that it's still aiming for an aquatic feel, without the typical aquatic notes, make it somewhat different.

As others have said, it does last long. Maybe just because the previous fragrance I had on my clothing, and now changed my shirt, put this on my skin, and am doing this review.. that I am finding this fragrance very refreshing (since the last one on my clothing was dreadful). In retrospect though, I don't think this is something I would buy, or wear very often, because it just doesn't suit my needs. It's trying to be a different type of aquatic, but to me it falls flat. It does have pretty good longevity for the style of scent it is. Typically stuff in this genre give me 4 hours or so, while this gives 6-8, possibly longer, but a very close to skin scent at that time. After a few minutes of application, the combination of notes here seem to clash, I think it's the lavender clashing with citrus and woods, a good perfumer could of done a better job blending the notes. It does challenge my nose though, and again it is different, but not entirely unique, as it smells like bits and pieces of many other fragrances. (Eau Frachie, Le Male, Bulgari Man, Terre d'Hermes, to name a few)

Giving this a thumbs up would be lying, because it's not something I could recommend. However, if you are looking for an aquatic that takes some risks, this is something you should check out.

Also, from a distance it smells different than close up. From a distance it's a very generic, although nice citrus, zesty, sort of sour type, while if you go for a whiff up close, you'll get the darker side of it, the lavender, the woods, and musk, almost like a patchouli too. The mint dies off within 10 minutes on my skin, not completely, but about 75% gone.

I'm confident with this review, as I have worn it numerous times. This wasn't based off of a sample wearing. I will likely finish the mini bottle, but I don't see myself buying this in the future.
26th October, 2015

Potion Royal Black by Dsquared2

On my journey for the perfect men's rose fragrance (under $60.00) I acquired a sample of Potion Royal Black.

At first I was in love, I almost went and bought a bottle immediately. After spending some more time with it, I realized this fragrance isn't for me. Royal Black opens with a beautiful modern rose note, similar to that in 24 Platinum, and Rose 31, that same sweet, almost more synthetic smelling rose. (because real rose actually smells a bit dirty, and these don't) It quickly transforms into a heavy, and I do mean heavy, smokey, very smokey, almost rubbery smelling incense and leather combo. Smells like something from the Smell Bent brand to be honest. It has a lot of leather, but the leather isn't my style as it's rather animallic. Eventually, and I mean hours and hours later, it evolves back into a rose top note with a vanilla undertone, I also get some coriander.

If you're looking for a bold rose fragrance, that's undeniably masculine, and won't break the bank.. this could be a good option.. just make sure you love smokey, leather fragrances. I think it's the combination of smoking incense and animallic leather that turns this off for me. 24 Platinum is my favorite rose fragrance in the under $60.00 price range right now.
16th October, 2015 (last edited: 18th October, 2015)

Royall Muske by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Muske is a classic barbershop style fragrance. To me, it has a very close resemblance to Old Spice, only better. Less rough around the edges, smoother, more refined. The dry down is muskier too. Although personally this fragrance isn't my style, I will say that it renders tons of compliments.. I guess women like the smell of musk.
25th September, 2015

Monsieur Eau du Matin by Jean Paul Gaultier

Take Mugler Cologne.. take out most of the vetiver, add a ton of citrus.. cut the longevity in half, maybe even less, and voila! Not that Monsieur Eau du Matin is lacking depth, because it definitely isn't. It's an EDC, meant to wear light and feel more transparent. Well made, but just not for me, as I have come to expect much more from my fragrances.
24th September, 2015

Royall Mandarin by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

This doesn't smell like orange juice. Orange Sanguine smells like OJ. Royall Mandarin does smell like candied oranges though. Sugary, sweet and synthetic after about a minute. The first minute though, it actually smells quite natural. The dry down is a bit musky.. similar to the dry downs from Lyme and Muske. The dry down also smells very much like Drakkar Noir's, uncannily similar. Like others have said, longevity and projection are both very poor. Save your money and buy something from Hermes.
24th September, 2015

Cannabis Flower by Demeter Fragrance Library

God this scent is so strange. First off let me say that it does smell like pot! Upon the opening though, I really don't get anything. I was actually a bit upset because all I smelled was a very faint patchouli like aroma. I have to let it creep up my nasal passage before I smell pot, but man does it smell great! It's a very deep marijuana smell. It's also a very faint fragrance with extremely soft sillage.

Thumbs up though for being unique, and double thumbs up for smelling just like pot. You need to sniff around a bit to pick it up though, but believe me, it's there.

It's just so weird because at first when I sniff it, it smells like strawberries or something creamy and sweet.. and if I take my nose away too fast, I won't get the pot smell. But when I take a big sniff, it comes in at the end, and ya it smells like a very natural pot, the type grown outside in the soil.. I guess you could say mids lol. Reminds me of the old days!
18th September, 2015

Comme une Evidence Homme by Yves Rocher

Buysblind review got me to blind buy this lol. When he mentioned Rose 31, a fragrance I adore.

Comme un Evidence without doubt has some Rose 31 in it, though very faint. Overall, the fragrance is nice and versatile for a man's rose based scent, but it is very very faint, with poor longevity and projection on me.

I am glad to own a bottle though, since it appears to be discontinued and prices are rising.
18th September, 2015

Steel Sugar by Aquolina

This is supposed to have a gingerbread note in it which is primarily why I bought it. Aquolina, both men's and women's fragrance are notorious for having stellar performance, for very reasonable prices, the other reason I purchased this.

This one though, for me, isn't the best performance wise. Open the initial spray, ya I guess I get a gingerbread vibe, but it's very short lived. It quickly transitions into a mostly vanilla powdery type of smell, with a coconut undertone. It does smell delicious, but not what I was expecting based on the reviews.

To be honest, this to me is like a more wearable Lolita Lempicka au Masculin.. not that I did like LLaM, but the anise in there can be overwhelming.

I do feel Steel Sugar is very unisex. The opening immediately reminded me of Bvlgari Black, without the rubber note.

This reminds me of so many other fragrances too. Le Male, and Midnight in Paris EDP without the iris. The thing separating this from the others is this unique foody aspect, although it may be labeled as gingerbread, to me it smells more like a coconut cookie. Imagine that with a powdery vanilla, then a slight tobacco and musky dry down, and I think you get the idea of this.

This isn't something you can really sample, you just gotta blind buy a bottle. I would say it's blind bottle worthy, but a little redundant too.
17th September, 2015

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens

Pine??? Where? This is mostly dried fruits. It's sweet, it's resinous, but pine? So misleading. I get virtually no pine here, which is unfortunate, because it's the reason I bought it. I ended up getting rid of my bottle, plus longevity stinks.

Does it smell good? I would be lying if I said it didn't It smells amazing, but not 70-110 bucks amazing. It doesn't smell overly unique; and considering there's no smell of pine to me, it makes it not worth owning.

Chergui by Serge Lutens

It really took me a while to like Chergui. People kept recommending it, and I just wouldn't go back to it, as I found it overly feminine. But, I felt the same way about Dior Homme Intense, and now I love it. I think the note in question is iris.. it can either go the route of smelling more like woods, or it can go the route of smelling more like makeup, and here, it goes the makeup route, as it does in DHI. I saw a bottle of this on fragnet for 60 shipped, and I figured ehh why not.. if I dislike it again, I'll sell or swap it easily, since everyone else loves it. Man did this stuff grow on me. Now.. it's easily one of my favorite niche fragrances.

From the top, I get a ton of iris.. and yes the powdery feminine makeup type, but it does so well with honey, amber, and hay, the other main notes I really pick up on. Overtime all of the notes sort of intertwined into one big iris/sweet/woodsy accord, and remains this way for a good 8 hours on me. Projection, is perfect, not too much, not a skin scent. Longevity, great. Quality, outstanding. No cheap alcohol smell anywhere in this.

I also love the simplicity yet elegance of the Serge Lutens bottles. I plan on getting more from this house, as I have tried quite a few and loved them. Chergui is certainly the centerpiece for Serge Lutens, a must have for any connoisseur.

Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis

It's weird how we associate brands with quality. When I think Aramis, I would never think they could make such a high quality fragrance. Then again, I am a designer fragrance type of person, so I associate quality with brands all the time. Perfumery has come so far that any brand can use the best quality ingredients. Even if you're like me, and you think Aramis, you think the original, and you think "eww", you have to look past that now.

So that was holding me back from diving into this one, regardless of the reviews on Calligraphy Rose. I was able to get a really good deal on it, and blind bought this for under 50 bucks shipped. I believe the majority of the reviews are a bit misleading. Yes this is a high quality fragrance, but it really isn't rose dominated. While rose is there, saffron is the major note to me. Saffron has a very distinguished sort of chalky smell, and it sticks out like a sore thumb in Calligraphy Rose. Although not my favorite note, it blends nicely with rose, myrrh or incense creating this chalky, smokey rose smell. Not as masculine as I was expecting from the reviews.. in fact maybe even a bit more feminine; but that's a risk you always take when you're a man seeking a rose based fragrance. The powdery factor isn't too bad, and eventually tones down, that goodness.

Although this isn't my favorite in my collection, it garners a lot of compliments, always by women. I guess it smells familiar to them, and that's what women like. The projection on this isn't too much, as some others have alluded to. Maybe with more sprays I could get more projection, but the smell itself is heavy, and I wouldn't wanna overdo it.

All in all, I would say if you're sick of the same old designer crap that keeps getting released, and you want something a little more daring, and high quality, give this one a try. Hard to find samples now, and I'm pretty sure it's been discontinued already. If you have 50-60 bucks extra for a blind buy, and you love saffron, incense and rose, this would be a good option.. and even if you hate it, you can sell this one easily since it's low in stock and high in demand.

Kenzo Pour Homme Boisée / Woody by Kenzo

I used to own a bottle of this, but recently sold it. I can see it being fitting for somebody, but it just isn't me. First off this fragrance shouldn't be called "woody", it should be called "herbal".. by far one of the most herbal, if not, the most herbal designer fragrance I have ever smelled. The dry down I get more of the woods, but this is dominated by basil and rosemary. It also projects pretty big in the opening, so be careful, because you will smell like a spice cabinet.

Again, I'm sure it has a purpose for some people, as it caters to a specific crowd. If you're looking for an inexpensive herbal fragrance, and don't wanna spend all that money on niche, this could be for you.
07th September, 2015

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

Like woods, like pepper? Hinoki is for you then. After a quick intense spicy woodsy opening the camphor molecule quickly emerges giving that smoldering burning wood note, an element I get in Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. Although here in Hinoki, don't expect any sweetness. This fragrance smells like some Jean Claude Ellena would make, since it's pretty heavy on the Iso E as well.

Overall price for value, this stuff is a bit too boring and one dimensional for my tastes, but if you know CdG, especially some of their series, then you know how they make simplistic fragrances. I just don't think the mark up is worth it. To me, this is worth about 30 bucks. Longevity is also pretty poor at 4 hours or less.
21st June, 2015

L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme Summer 2013 by Issey Miyake

Although not to hyped on Basenotes, L'Eau D'Issey Summer 2013 got really good reviews on other sites, so I thought I'd check it out.

Intrigued by the bottle, and theme, I thought, kiwi could be something great in a fragrance. Unfortunately, other than the artsy kiwi on the bottle and the box, I get no kiwi in this. I wanna believe I get it in the opening, but it's just not there. Tons of grapefruit, lots of pepper, and basically for the most part, the same fragrance as the original, which I'm not particularly fond of. Although this one does smell better than the original, its theme is misleading. Longevity is very poor as others have said. Projection is ok, but there are much better in its genre.

I got a big 4.2 oz bottle for like 42 shipped on Amazon, which in my opinion is overpriced, and that's about the lowest price you can get it for. I wouldn't pay more than 25-30 for a bottle of this, which you just won't find anymore since it's already 2 years old. I do hear the flankers for 2014 and 2015 are the exact same as this though, with just different bottle art.

Overall, I don't recommend this. Unless you can find it for a price below 30 bucks, it's just not worth it.
13th June, 2015

Interlude Man by Amouage

Not as bad as the first time I tried it. I got a real good 4 spray wearing out of my sample the other day, and I do think it's a nice fragrance.

The opening is a bit confusing. Cotton candy.. seriously, yes Amouage does cotton candy. Actually a few Amouage's I have tried have surprised me with very synthetic candy-like openings, and this is one of them. Within 20 minutes or so it settles down into more of a birch tar, smokey incense. I pick up on the oud later on in the dry down, especially when I spray it on clothing, that's where the oud really shines.

Overall, I give it a hesitant thumbs up, because of its unique style, power, and longevity. It takes risks, but it doesn't go too out of bounds with it, like another fragrance that's sort of in its same league, which is Jeke by Slumberhouse. They mouth have this weird "barbeque meat/old tea bag" note, but in Interlude Man, it works well!

This is would be a sure thumbs up if the price was lower. I understand niche is a luxury item, but some of these companies really gouge you for what you get, no bottle of any fragrance should cost more than 150 bucks direct from the manufacturer. I've dabbled in fragrance making quite a bit, and have made some good high quality stuff that smelled comparable to the high end niche stuff, and it didn't cost me more than $20 to make, and that's for 10 oz worth. Unfortunately sometimes a fragrance is just that damn good, and there's no way to avoid the cost, and while I should practice what I preach, I myself have succumbed to the gouging, for fragrances that I really wanted.
26th April, 2015

Porsche Design Essence Intense by Porsche

Thumbs down was in the works for this, but that's only because I love the original so much, so I had high expectations for this one. I got a 2 sample pack off Ebay for like 5 bucks and change from a seller. I really hate ordering samples sometimes, especially in 2 packs, because usually if they're in sets of 2, it's because they're filled half way or less (in my experience). That rant aside, onto the fragrance. If I had to guess, I would say the Intense version is a perfume concentration, based on how it performs. The top notes last longer, and it sits closer to the skin, contrary to other reviews, the Intense version has much less projection. In the original, the blueberry note is very prominent in its opening, where as in the Intense, the blueberry note is subdued and a sweet almost resinous incense note overpowers it.

The 2 are very similar, it would be pointless to try and seek out a bottle of the Intense version, because it's much harder to find, and you won't get a great price when you do find it. Though the intense version does have better longevity, the projection is weaker.. it is however a bit smoother, and darker. Surprisingly, it's a bit more generic too, I feel like I've smelled it elsewhere, and not just in the original Porsche Essence.

In the end, I think it's a good solid fragrance, but its availability makes it pointless to really seek out, especially if you own the original. I plan on eventually testing this entire house, as I feel they make some pretty good fragrances.
20th April, 2015

No.032 Bay Rum by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

The reviews here are quite misleading on this one.. so let me set the record straight. I blind bought this based on the unanimous positive reviews. I paid something like 32 bucks for a 2.5 oz bottle, which isn't a bad deal, but it's money down the drain when you don't wear it.

So the top notes are pretty nice.. sort of a more tropical bay rum. There is definitley little to no clove in this one.. lots of bay leaf, and spices, along with these cheap synthetic woodsy notes. The good top notes fade off pretty quick, and I am left these horrible plastic woodsy synthetic notes in the base. Total waste.
13th April, 2015

Violet Eyes by Elizabeth Taylor

It's mind boggling that nobody has compared this to CK Be. They are extremely similar. Whether on basenotes, fragrantica or any other site, I have never seen the comparison. CK Be is one of my all time favorite "safe" fragrances. Peach, white musk, the fresh metallic vibe that isn't a note, but some sort of combination of notes, or even a smeical compound that creates this accord. Bottom line, Violet Eyes is CK Be, with a more floral heart, with better projection, and sometimes better longevity. CK Be is temperamental on my skin.. sometimes the longevity is great, sometimes it's horrible. Violet Eyes is pretty consistent with its longevity though, at about 6-8 hours most of the time. Violet Eyes is safe for a man to wear, as long as you don't mind some floral notes. But on a woman, this smells beautiful.
10th April, 2015

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Pretty damn good Bulgari!

Let me start by saying that I thing this is one of the most underrated designer houses.

Onto pour Homme Extreme though. I am not really keen on citrus fragrances, but this one is well worth owning. As expected in the older Bulgari stuff, you'll get the tea note that is their signature. Here, the tea is greener and herbal. Lots of grapefruit, although it isn't listed as a note, that is the main note I pick up on. There's a pretty heavy dose of pepper here, but it isn't sharp at all. It blends with the green tea and citrus to create this grassy accord, similar to what is done in the original Michael Jordan Cologne.. I get this here. Mmm the smell of a fresh cut lawn. don't get it twisted though, this smells nothing like Michael Jordan. This has that old school Bulgari charm, that quality tear note they used to use so much.

For a citrus dominated fragrance, Bulgari pour Homme Extreme has exceptional longevity. Projection is pretty good, but you may not get noticed after about 2 hours, as it sits pretty close to the skin. It also has a similarity to Banana Republic Classic.

This isn't something I can wear a lot though, or I will begin to hate it, and sadly the reason being, is because it smells so natural. "What! You don't wanna smell natural!!?" Well honestly, with citrus fragrances, I'd rather them be a little less natural, a little more sweet & synthetic, like on the style of Lacoste White/Blanc, Clinique Happy, Chrome, etc.
06th April, 2015

24 Platinum by ScentStory FZE

Not bad! The opening, I get a burst of alcohol. It dies off quickly though and rose emerges from the start. A nice red rose, with some other notes around it, but mostly rose. I really didn't pay attention to this drying down, but I smelled my hand about an hour later and was left with nothing but rose and vanilla. Then I smelled my hand again about 3 hours later, and still rose and vanilla. The rose in the dry down isn't overly floral, there are no other stupid floral notes clouding the rose, and the rose overpowers the vanilla to perfection. Just the right 75% to 25% rose to vanilla ratio that I desire. My only complaint.. I wish this fragrance was a little darker.
02nd April, 2015

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

There's already over 100 reviews of Guerlain Homme, so without getting long and technical, I will just throw my 2 cents in.

This opens up just like a mojito, and I don't mean the synthetic mojito smell, and overly minty and lime-y. This actually evokes the smell of an alcoholic mojoito.. yes you can smell the alcohol here, but not a perfumers alcohol, the smell of alcohol in the drink, so A+ for that. It could be a bit off putting to come, but in my opinion, they nailed the opening for a natural mojito. Within 30 minutes though, I am left with a boring, light rose smelling, airy, and slight bit of woods dry down. Hard to smell, no sillage, and boring. This fragrance shines in the first 15 minutes. In the opening after the natural alcohol mojito dries down, the mint really overpowers everything. It's just not very well done. Maybe some of the flankers do it better.
02nd April, 2015

Halston Man by Halston

A surprisingly nice fruity/cinnamon/incense fragrance, that just didn't get any publicity. Where Halston Man has gone is a mystery, and if it will ever come back remains to be seen.

I got a miniature of this with my Amber Man gift set, and I gotta say, as much as I love Amber Man, this little devil was getting more wear than Amber was, once I got it. I instantly fell in love. The combination of cinnamon, and passionfruit is astonishing, fantastic, niche quality all the way. There's a heavy dose of mint, but it remains behind the cinnamon/spice notes. As it dries, there's a strong eucalyptus like aroma, which I assume is the artemisia I am smelling. The more I wear it, the more it reminds me of the super cheap Everlast for men, only this one is done much better. Not sure what the other reviewers are thinking, but this stuff is outstanding. Give it a full wearing.

Conclusion. A full bodies very masculine fragrance that isn't afraid to take risks, the added passionfruit note, the use of mint, and other citrus notes in the background, make this one stand out from the rest.. as I said very niche like.
28th March, 2015

I am King by Sean John

I am King is a bonafide fruit punch. The opening is a short blast of cranberry, but after about a minute it really just smells like Kenneth Cole Black, which is a mango fruity dominated fragrance. It smells like a better version of Kenneth Cole Black, as Black gets too synthetic in smell, with chemical accords causing it to just smell bad. I am King actually smells good. Another thing that comes to mind is Spree candies. Ya guys remember those? They had a hard sweet shell and a sour inside. That is what I get here, a sweet outside with a sour inside. Usually sour in perfume doesn't work for me, but it actually smells pretty good here.

Longevity is about 4-6 hours for me, usually on the higher side of 6, which isn't too shabby. Projection is just right, not too little, not too much. Perfect scent for an office setting, or just running errands.
27th March, 2015

Rose Noir for Men by Giorgio Valenti

Everybody who has tried this seems to say the same.. roses and berries. I just don't get it. In the opening I get a quick blast of a darker rose, but it quickly fades into what mostly smells like anise or licorice to me. This smells like a cross between English Leather Black, Cuba Black, and Zino (Davidoff). For a fragrance released in 99, it smells much more dated. Not my thing. Although I am sure it appeals to a certain crowd.. likely good for the mature men, 50+ crowd. I'll have to give my bottle to my father.
25th March, 2015

Debonair by Smell Bent

Sorry, but this stuff is disgusting. Smells like fresh neroli, which is the plus, but it smells like it fell in an ash tray, or it caught on fire. This is probably one of the smokiest smelling fragrances ever. I don't mean the good smokiness that incense gives off.. this just smells like something is burning or got burnt. There is a TON of neroli in here. Projection is beast mode, longevity is stellar, but seriously, how can anyone wear this stuff? One of the few fragrances that literally choked me out, and made me wanna vomit.
21st March, 2015

A*Men Ultra Zest by Thierry Mugler

For me, Ultra Zest disappoints. The opening is a combination of orange and those typical A*Men DNA gourmand notes, caramel, honey, vaniila, patchouli. Although the orange note is the big star in the opening, the combination almost smells like vomit. No where in my mind do I ever get this creamsicle vibe that others have alluded to. After a muffled opening and a mediocre mid/dry down, the base which is predominately caramel to me, is what redeems the fragrance. The base notes are comforting. Somebody else said, this is basally A*Men without the tar, and with an added orange note. I couldn't agree more. Honestly though, it's just played out to death. Come up with something new Mugler.. boring.
18th March, 2015

Legend by Michael Jordan

A cheaper, less sweet Rochas Man. For the price it's pretty hard to beat. Beginners need a good sensual gourmand? Look no further.
10th March, 2015