Reviews by The_Cologneist

Eau de Gaga by Lady Gaga

Solid, very solid. Great longevity, but don't expect a strong dry down. The base which goes well into the 8 hour park on my skin, mostly consists of a light cedar note, though it may be sandalwood, or even a combination of the 2, it even smells slightly of oud. This is the base though, let's talk about the top. Well done! At first spray, yes it totally smells like Azuree Lime, as the comparisons suggest, but wait about 5 minutes and it smells very similar to Green Irish Tweed. 12 bucks a bottle for EDP concentration.. it's a no brainer to me. Blind buy worthy imo, if you like GIT, you will probably love this.
02nd June, 2017

Cafe Oud by Dua Fragrances

Normally I am not a fan of this house, but this is a great fragrance. This is a better version of cologne of the Missions. It has 20 times the longevity. Now I've never tried Spirituese double Vanilla which is compared to cologne of the Missions, so I can't comment there.

Cafe Oud opens with a strong creamy coffee latte accord backed by some vanilla. Overtime it fades into a smooth oud, almost hard to tell that it's oud, but it is. It lasts 20+ hours.

My only problem is that it leaves an oily residue on my skin for hours even after I rub it in.. I know I know Al, don't rub it in right. In this case it doesn't matter because it's so concentrated.

Good stuff, might spring for a bottle soon.
24th May, 2017

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

Mind blowing stuff, really. This had to have been inspired by Green Irish Tweed.

I am amazed that something like this isn't as loved as something like Fahrenheit. Although they are so very different, they both present that classic aura, they bring you back to the 80s, but they are both still very modern.

Bowling Green opens up with an amazing lemon verbena note, I mean, breathtaking, vibrant, uplifting, even better than the lemon verbena top note in Green Irish Tweed, which is hard to top. It blends smoothly with a noticeable bergamot. About 10 minutes in, the bergamot fades, the lemon verbena remains strong, and it becomes more herbal, and green. The pine note is excellent, it's not modern, but it's not dated, it fits in well. As it dries, it becomes more lavender heavy.

Unfortunately toward the 2 hour mark, the beauty starts to fall apart. Not to say it's bad, because it's still good, but not great. The base smells sort of cheap. It's hard to tell what I am even smelling at this point. A somewhat wet mossy, musky, floral. It kind of incorporates pieces of Grey Flannel, only much much lighter.

The first 2 hours are gorgeous. Even younger guys will probably love this. Don't be biased and dismiss a fragrance for its age. If this was remarketed and redone today, with a different label, I guarantee people would talk about what a modern classic this will be.

We are fortunate that Geoffrey Beene either brought this back out of discontinuation, or somebody found a massive stockpile of this somewhere and they've been selling all over the internet for $15-20 bucks for a 4 oz bottle. One of the best bang for your bucks out there. I have not smelled the original, and I am sure it's been reformulated just like everything else has, so I can't say how this used to be. I can say how it is now, and it is excellent!
24th May, 2017

Dior Homme Sport (2012) by Christian Dior

This isn't all it's cracked out to be. Granted it smells nice.. performance is very very poor. I have much better "Sport" fragrances in my wardrobe. This one literally has to be reapplied every 2 hours, as I only get 2 hours on my skin. Yes this is DHS 2012, from an authentic dealer.

I suspect the overwhelming support is from Dior brand enthusiasts. I would probably not recommend this to anybody, because it lacks so much in performance. Smells great though.

Shame.
17th May, 2017

Style In Play by Lacoste

Floral, red apple men's fragrance. Easily unisex. My bottle broke unfortunately, but I never wore it anyways. DKNY Red Delicious is much better, in a similar range. Red Delicious has poor longevity, but Red Style in Play as horrendous longevity.
16th May, 2017

Hommage à L'Homme Voyageur by Lalique

I really thought I was gonna like this, but I don't. I should note I am not a big patchouli fan, and this fragrance is 75% patchouli. It's very similar to Tommy Hilfiger Loud for men.

I pretty much just get a dirty, dry, animallic patchouli, rounded out by a mossy base, with a cedar wood accord as well. It's boring, but it doesn't last long, much longer than Tommy Loud.
11th May, 2017

Sauvage by Christian Dior

Not a fan, nor am I a fan of the ambroxian era. First it was tonka, then oud, now ambroxian. Sauvage I feel is pleasant from a distance (although no positive feedback), but abrasive close up.

I agree with so many other reviewers here. I think Alfarom's review is pretty much spot on.

I pick up a generic citrus opening, with a metallic edge. This doesn't smell like Bleu de Chanel to me. And although I don't praise BdC, it certainly rounds out everything nicely, whereas Sauvage is a bit confused. I get bits and pieces from other recent releases, one specifically that I haven't seen anyone speak of, is Invictus.

All in all, this is a step down from most Dior stuff. A mish mash of aromachemicals. It smells cheap, and boring. It doesn't smell "chemical" though like nail polish remover or anything like that.

People complain about projection and longevity on this too? Huh?? I get monstrous projection and longevity. I find the projection to be obnoxious. If you want something to get you noticed though, and don't care about artistry in perfumery, then you will dig this.
04th May, 2017

L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent

Sour citrus meets woods and rose. The best part of this, is the smooth rose element, very well done. The rest of this.. nothing great. This has a sour opening, and it stays that way for quite a while. instantly it reminds me of Ferragamo pour Homme limited Platinum edition - this is a very fragrance, but if you've smelled it, you will understand more what Ultime smells like. Another similar fragrance is Antonio, which has a spicy fir and heavy dose of woods.

The plus side of Ultime, the rose note is outstanding. It's smooth, creamy, doesn't smell too synthetic, doesn't smell too feminine, and lasts for quite a while. The fragrance itself has great longevity on me, as I easily get 8-12 hours.

The smell, not so much my thing. I can see how this would appeal to a lot of people though. I will use up my 10 ml decant though, as this makes for something good when i need something with extreme longevity.
04th May, 2017

Habit Rouge Dress Code by Guerlain

Horrible opening. Hideous, bag of make up smell, powdery and very dated. Instant flashback to Burberry Brit. The dry down is more tolerable, but nothing to write home about.
25th April, 2017

Baldessarini Ultimate by Baldessarini

Ultimate has a promising opening. Instantly I am brought to JCE creations, specifically Declaration, but with a little more of a citrus kick. However, this quickly dies down, and becomes more of a Strictly Private like smell, which is another overrated Baldessarini. The dry down here doesn't smell right to me either. Kind of sour.

I still think Ambre is the best of the line, and the most reviewed for a reason, It's simply good.

Ultimate on the other hand.. not so much. Although the composition seems fair, it doesn't cater to my personal interest. I give this a very low neutral rating, almost negative.
16th April, 2017

Menthe Fraiche / Fresh Mint / Eau de Menthe by Heeley

God this is so good! I wish it lasted more than a couple hours. The opening is menthol minty, awesome authentic spearmint note! It meets an herbal quality green tea. I also get a hefty hefty dose of a flower that is native to Florida, but I'm not sure the name, either tagetes or lantana perhaps.. it blooms in a bulb shape with many little flowers on the bulb, they are orange, yellow and red, often in the same flower, the smell is a floral citrus smell. Although freesia is a note listed in this, that's not what I am getting.

Unfortunately due to its poor performance I will never spend the money for this one. I will try to find something very similar with better performance.
15th April, 2017

18.21 Sweet Tobacco by 18.21 Man Made

It took me a while to figure out what this smelled like exactly, I'm pretty confident saying that this is an even mix between Tobacco Vanille, and Pure Havane.

Now imagine Pure Havane, without the sweet cherry/fruity notes. 18/21 is sweet, but from the vanilla. It's robust from the tobacco. The tobacco has a dark, dirty, patchouli/chocolate like smell. It's boozy, it's spicy, it's a little powdery, and it has fantastic performance.

My one gripe, it does smell a bit like sweet piss to me in the first hour or so. I think it's from the combination with honey, and tobacco, I kind of get this in Tobacco Vanille as well, but not as noticeable. It still doesn't change my opinion, that this is a great fragrance, at a fair price.

I'm hoping that with the success of this fragrance, although I know it's not a national success, it's a low key success by us enthusiasts on here -- I hope it will push the company to put out more fragrances that they know we will love.
08th April, 2017

S.T. Dupont Homme by S.T. Dupont

Ya, this basically smells the same as Declaration, as others note. Declaration has a better dry down, but this is still very pleasant.
28th March, 2017

Pharrell Williams GIRL by Comme des Garçons

This is absolutely VILE. I thought the days of me blind buying such horrible stuff was behind me, as I thoroughly read reviews and note break downs. I feel there is not enough negative reviews because of the respect people have for the house. Well.. you make something that smells disgusting, people should know about it.

I can obviously see why this flopped in department stores, but it has even flopped at online discounters, hence its price drop down to about $20 a bottle. That's what I paid, so it''s make a cute paperweight.

Girl opens up with a peppery, violet heavy, plastic smelling woodsy smell. It's very linear and dries down that way. It's very VERY chemical smelling. Plastic, nail polish remover are main problematic accords.

Granted this is coming off of one wearing. I do have a bottle and can revisit it any time, but why would I want to? There's no changing the chemical smells, they're not gonna go away, and it gives me a headache. 2 big thumbs down.
22nd March, 2017

Curve Appeal Men by Liz Claiborne

This opens up with a really fizzy watermelon note, backed by some zesty citrus notes. It really reminds me of Cool Water Game's opening plus the overall smell of True Religion (which was a great underrated fragrance with just horrible longevity). Longevity is 4 hours at best on my skin. I paid 6 bucks for a 1 oz bottle, so no complaints about longevity for me. Projection is about average or maybe below, more sprays will get you more noticed with this one. The watermelon note dies off pretty quick, and I'm left with like a cross between Cool Water Game and True Religion. Ironically I loved True Religion, and I loved the opening of Cool Water Game, so Curve Appeal is a winner for me. Is it boring and generic.. to me, yes, because I've smelled a lot of things similar, but not everyone has smelled thousands of fragrances like me, so this could be very unique to you. I have gotten 1 compliment, but the person who complimented it compliments everything I wear, so that doesn't say much.
17th March, 2017

L'Homme Idéal by Guerlain

The in initial blast of Ideal smells something like glue. After about a minute it slowly transforms into its almond top note. Behind it is a sweet raisin like smell, guessing the amaretto accord? While the almond begins developing into the skin, it becomes more nutty smelling, like a natural almond, while still underneath it a sweet creamyness, again assuming the amaretto. After a couple hours, it starts smelling like Cuba Red. total shocker, like a spicy tobacco, sandalwood. The almond note is there until the end, but it's not too almond smelling anymore, more like a powdery almond. I also get a hefty dose of a rather smooth oud in the base. Unlike the EDP this one projects much more. The 2 smell nothing alike. Although I like the almond in here, I don't really care for the rest of the fragrance, but it does have a lot going on in the dry down. The EDP is more rich, more bold, more intimate.
12th March, 2017

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

I was gonna write a neutral review, but this is actually pretty good stuff. Firstly I wasn't a fan of this line. I think the original has a great almond note, but not much more after that. I think this one is very "perfumy" smelling in the opening. I get virtually no almond. I get a lot of rose, a little incense, hidden behind an array of spices. It starts to turn into like a cross between La Nuit de L'Homme, and the dry down of Tom Ford Noir Extreme. I do like it, but projection is horrible, though this is based off of a sample. Also, to me, this smells nothing like the original.
12th March, 2017

Chocolate Wasted by Haught Perfumes

I think Daneiq has a pretty much spot on review. The only difference is I have to give the thumbs down, since I find this scent unwearable.
11th March, 2017

Audacious by Haught Perfumes

This is really weird. It basically smells like 212, mixed with margarine, that's the only way I can describe it. If you wanna smell like butter, go for it! The perfumer has said to not use perfumer's alcohol for his base, instead a combination of oils, including coconut oil. I think that's why most of them smell so bad. They have a strange opening, I think anyone who has tried these can tell you.
11th March, 2017

Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue by Versace

I actually like this. This to me is a modern version of Polo Sport. The opening is so similar to Polo Sport. this is kind of how I thought Eros was gonna smell. I am shocked there is no mint note in note pyramid here. There's a darkish - citrusy, and almost inky vibe here. It reminds me of Jacomo Paradox Blue, as well as Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet. This started fading into what mostly smells like a darker take on Versace pour Homme. The next phase smells very similar to the dry down of Invictus. A couple hours later, all I smell is tonka, musk, maybe a hint of amber. It had this familiar feeling from a lot of recent releases, I'm assuming this is the ambroxian note.

Overall, I like it, but not enough to buy a bottle at this time.
09th March, 2017 (last edited: 10th March, 2017)

Eternity Now for Men by Calvin Klein

If there is coconut in here, it's very toned down. I was expecting something like Only The Brave Wild, with a tropical vibe, but that's not the case at all with Eternity Now. What I get is Sweetarts.

It's hard to find a fragrance any closer to Sweetarts than this actually. This is very unisex as well. Starfruit? Not too sure what it smells like as a note. I do get citrus notes in here, mostly lime, and tangerine. Perhaps some cranberry? A little floral. It reminds me of I am King a little bit, i think that is the only fragrance that I can closely compare it to. Although it also reminds me of 1 Million, Joop!, and many others, it doesn't so much smell like them as it does smell like I am King; not entirely, but enough to make the comparison.. ya know what I mean.

There's a hefty dose of vanilla underneath the fruity notes, creating the creamy feel. While tonka becomes more prominent in the base. There's a slight powdery vibe here as well.

Overall I think it's a very complete fragrance. It's different for sure. Not really my cup of tea.. though I forced myself to use up my mini bottle so I wouldn't have the burden of having to wear it again.

Longevity is mehh.. pretty bad. 3-4 hours tops. Projection is quite good though, at least average, if not, above average. It's not beastly like 1 Million, or A*Men, but it will definitely get you noticed. again though, personally, not something I wanna be noticed wearing, as I find it rather juvenile.
09th March, 2017

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Very mediocre. It's compared to Eternity Aqua. Aqua has more going on, but Polo Blue smells better. Polo Blue is a bit dated for an aquatic. I mostly get the clary sage, geranium, and a ton of white musk. I wish there was more cucumber and melon to smell, but there isn't this has a very transparent feel, and also and aquatic feel, but it lacks those key aquatic notes in full force.

This smells more like a deodorant than anything to me. Longevity and projection are both weak.
07th March, 2017

A*Men Pure Tonka by Thierry Mugler

Finally, over a year after its release, I finally was able to sample this. I really don't feel like I missed much. Although a nice scent, not bottle worthy for me.

To me this screams Blue Sugar, and I am surprised that out of the hundreds of reviews I've read and seen, not one person has made the correlation.

This opens with a sugary sweet tonka blast, though as sweet as it is, i don't find it sickening, although this is based on 1 spray. It mellows into more of an ambery tonka sweetness, I guess this is wear people get the coffee note. I guess because I'm spoiled by the coffee note in Pure Coffee, that I find the coffee in Pure Tonka to be boring. It's more of a sweetened vanilla latte note; as opposed to the rich, robust, dark, bold coffee.

This is a gourmand lovers dream, It's very sweet. You can pick up on the individual notes. Vanilla, coffee/latte, tonka, sugar, cocoa. It isn't redundant for the line, but I have smelled fragrances like this before. Notably, this smells like a more tamed Blue Sugar, but with more going on.

Count on the traditional A*Men chocolatey patchouli base, not as intense here. The presence of tonka is in it from beginning to end, making this fragrance very aptly named.

Thumbs up because I am a Mugler fan. Nothing from the brand has been a disaster. Some may have disappointed a little, but I think all of them have their purpose. Pure Tonka is no different. This is a gourmand lover's dream. Projection and longevity are both very good as well.
04th March, 2017

A*Men Kryptomint by Thierry Mugler

The opening of Kryptomint smells like mint chocolate chip ice cream to me. The mint is strong, but not too sweet. I definitely get patchouli lurking in the back, which gives off the chocolatey vibe. The opening star note is mint though. The mint stays with me for a good 30 minutes, before I'm left with mostly what smells like Ultra Zest, as others have noted. The mint note dies off and turns more into geranium, the transition is flawless. I can tell it's geranium though because it's not as minty, it's more fleshy and floral. The patchouli here is more noticeable than in Ultra Zest, as Ultra Zest's patchouli is masked well behind vanilla and tonka. The patchouli here also has a kick of spice to it, once it moves forward more. It lasts on my skin for about 6 hours, and projection is about average.

I think Kryptomint has more of the original A*Men heavy patchouli DNA, but it also has a lot of Ultra Zest in it.

Do I think this would be a redundant purchase? Well if you love the A*Men series, then you know that no flanker is redundant. I think it's pretty unique, as I've tried the entire line, and own most of the bottles. In a nutshell.. this is mint, geranium meets Ultra Zest's base, meets A*Men DNA. If you thought the patchouli in Ultra Zest was too much, well this one has it much stronger, but it's also not a projection beast, so you may not notice it.

Thanks to a splitter here on Basenotes I was able to get a nice sized decant. This is a review based on several wearings.

I'd like to add that I don't think that this is blind buy safe, unless you absolutely love A*Men fragrances.
02nd March, 2017

Hermèssence Santal Massoïa by Hermès

I think this Hermessence flew under most people's radar. I've had a sample for a while, but never got a few full wearings out of it, until recently.

In a nutshell, this is Tam Dao meets Philosykos. It's crazy how it's almost a perfect blend of the two. The fig opening is ripe and green, sweet, but only naturally. Quickly, one of the best sandalwood notes that I've smelled in a long time, comes forward, and within 10 minutes, sandalwood dominates. With fig, and coconut lingering in the background. When the notes blend together, it smells a bit like iris too.

After about 20 minutes, the notes sort of intertwined, and become more an accord than anything. Like most from the Hermessence line, you can expect that to happen. A simple linear smell. There is however a slightly sour smell going on, it's not a big deal, but I do notice it for a while. I can't tell what note it is, or what combination causing this.

Although this a definite thumbs up for me, it's not something I would wanna buy, because I could get my sandalwood and fig fixes elsewhere without having to spend over $300 for a bottle.
27th February, 2017

Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci

Guilty Absolute smells like a few fragrances to me. Terre d'Hermes, Halston Amber, Ferrari Silver Essence. Most notably Terre d'Hermes. In fact, imagine a more neutral smelling TdH without the dirty orange note. Pair that with a cedar heavy base. This fragrance is linear, but also strong too, especially upon first spray. Many will get the smell of "band-aids" in the opening as well. I get it, and I love it.

Although I'm not blown away, this is a solid release by Gucci. Stepping out of their comfort zone and trying something different, something niche. Very much worth a sniff, I may even buy a bottle.
24th February, 2017

Givenchy Play Sport by Givenchy

Silentrich sums it up in a few lines.

This is not a ground breaking scent. It's similar to Armani Code Sport, but to be honest, ACS just doesn't smell good. It comes off cheap, it smells weird, it smells "chemical" and "plasticy" at some points.

I think Play sport is my least favorite from the Play line, but it's still quite good. A fresh citrus with an invigorating mint note. the mint is done well, so that it doesn't smell like toothpaste, it smells more like a light refreshing mint.

Surprisingly, like Play and Play Intense, this carries the same DNA in its base, and I really don't know how, since this is not a sweet/gourmand like the other 2 are. Play Sport doesn't last as long though, as you would expect from most fresh designer fragrances. I do get about 4 hours or so, with decent projection in the first hour.
23rd February, 2017

Bottega Veneta Pour Homme Extrême by Bottega Veneta

It kind of took me a while to get a grasp on this. It's sort of in the same vein with Fahrenheit Absolute, and Prada Amber Intense. These 3 come off dark at first but have a strong resemblance to other 80s powerhouses. In the case of Bottega Veneta Extreme, this strongly reminds me of CK Obsession. It has the chypre feel from the original Bottega Veneta. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it though. The original is far better, much more unique, but longevity and projection on the original are both miserable failures. This one extends the life of both tremendously, but it is a different scent by about 80%.
19th February, 2017

Empire by Trump by Donald Trump

Very underrated juice. Long lasting. Opens like 212 VIP, dries down like 1 Million's opening.. ya I said it. It literally smells like the amazing opening of 1 Million in its dry down phase. Maybe these are just the mid notes? Because approx. 5-6 hours after application, I get some musk and amber, which would be the 3rd tier of this fragrance that I smell.

I don't judge a fragrance by its label, I judge it by its smell. Those who don't, you're missing out on many good ones.

Prices online range from $15-30 for this fragrance, and I would say it's worth every penny.

If you're looking for something entirely unique though, you won't find it here. Maybe if you haven't smelled every designer release there is. If you're like me, and you've smelled just about everything, you'll recognize its familiarity.
15th February, 2017

Baldessarini Strictly Private by Baldessarini

A wonderful opening, that gets ruined by a poopy diaper smelling dry down. Sad, sad sad.

This reminds me of Terre d'Hermes, but in a more oriental way. Until the dry down hits.. then it's just a horror show.
06th February, 2017