Reviews by The_Cologneist

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

Awesome bottle. The end.

No, seriously. What to say about Del Mar. Well.. having tried the original Baldessarini, and owning Ambre, I find myself wondering wtf. Here we have the Baldessarini brand from Hugo; it's less sythetic, it's more sophisticated, and it had a highly credible image in my mind after having tried both the others.

Baldessarini is like the niche part of Hugo Boss, but Del Mar is totally Hugo Boss. It's cheap smelling, it's synthetic smelling, it lacks any originality. Does it smell bad? No. In fact, few fragrances actually smell "bad" to my nose. Del Mar doesn't smell bad, but it's not even worth sampling, take my word for it.

31st October, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2011)

Roadster by Cartier

I guess I'm in the minority with Roadster. To me, it's sickening and makes my stomach churn, gives me a headache and even makes me dizzy. Strangely though, when I smell it from a distance it's not as bad; but for somebody like myself, I have a tendency to smell my arms. The opening is a thick, heavy, cloying, paper smelling mint. I'm not a huge mint fan, but if done well like in Live Jazz, I'm all for it. Roadster is strictly mint, and that's all. As it dries though, it becomes a bit more tolerable.. the vetiver and woods creep in and cancel out the strong mint some what, but it's nothing to write home about.

Conclusion: If you want a fragrance with mint in it, go with something like Live Jazz, Le Male, or even Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge. If you want a strictly mint fragrance, dominated by mint, strong, heavy mint, you'll like Roadster. I don't though.

31st October, 2010

Silver Light by Escada

The opening of Silver is green and soapy, with some spice as well. It's not entirely different, in fact, it strongly reminds me of Uomo by Moschino. The thing that's most off-putting about this fragrance to me, is the chemical odor I pick up from it. Fortunately it's only strong in the very beginning.. it's reminiscent of the glue/paste accord I get from Curve, or Versace V/S. As Silver dries down, it just gets soapy and slightly floral but its foundation is a green fragrance. Vanilla and jasmine dominate from the middle on out.. the combination of the 2 is actually quite nice, even for somebody like myself who finds the jasmine note to be very feminine. I do think this fragrance is unisex all the way. As for my opinion.. I'm really smack dab in the middle on this. The strange chemical opening isn't enough to complain entirely about because it goes away quickly, and although the dry down is very pretty, it's just not for me.

On a side note.. the middle/heart notes phase of Silver strongly remind me of Arpege pH, only take out the orange blossom and citrus and replace it with jasmine.

31st October, 2010

Canali Men by Canali

Just another fragrance with no purpose. Canali does absolutely nothing for me. It reeks of so many different notes that it's hard to pull apart, it's just a synthetic smelling mess. I guess it's fair to say that everything is blended together very smoothly, but I don't know what it is I'm smelling. Grapes, lemons, berries, woods, leather, tobacco and spices along with many other fruits, citrus, florals, etc.. all in one huge accord. It doesn't by any means smell bad, but very boring, and uninspired.

This fragrance is kind of along the lines of Allure, in terms of genre. It doesn't really fit in any genre.. I got one we can put them both in.. "synthetic city".

24 October, 2010

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

I get like a minty/eucalyptus/green/herbal opening that's rather unique. Along with it, comes some sort of slightly unpleasant yet very intriguing accord.. plastic.. maybe some sort of burning toxic material. After the chemical odor dies down. The green notes and herbs come out, the mint doesn't disappear but it hides behind everything. I also get a grape note taking over the top. Before ya know it, the scent is completely gone. I don't pick up on many of the notes in this.

To my nose, Swiss Army is one fragrance house combined into this fragrance. That house is Ralph Lauren. With Swiss Army I get some Polo Sport, Purple Label, and Safari. A rather unique composition, but nothing to write home about.

19 October, 2010

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

First and foremost, I absolutely despise ginger in fragrances.. it's never done right imo. That said, I absolutely LOVE the ginger in YSL l'Homme. It does an excellent job capturing a juicy citrusy ginger note. It pleases the nose, and is almost edible.

In the top, I get lots and lots of ginger, accompanied by a bitter citrus combo of orange and lemon. In the background, I can pick up on a watery violet note. There's also a heavy dose of white pepper, which starts off behind the ginger, but eventually overpowers it. About 3 hours later, vetiver, tonka, and some gentle woods blend together smoothly for the base, with the most emphasis on the tonka, as it is in La Nuit.

To some degree, this reminds me of Versace pH, only much much better. Longevity is about average, 6 hours or so. Projection is very good for the first 3 hours.

14 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 August, 2012)

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Although a boring fragrance, I love the smell of it. It smells like a very masculine laundry detergent. Mostly various woods, blended together smoothly which makes note detection difficult; I also get some pepper. For the price, and what you get, it's not so hot. I'd wear it if somebody gave it to me, but I doubt I'll be buying this.

13 October, 2010

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

Simply put. Odd. Not only odd, but bad. With a possible brilliant set of notes, the outcome is pretty horrid. Smells like cheap vanilla, mint, powder, and overdose of neroli, and a very bland vetiver, mixed with rubber. Very off putting; and rather insulting to the Fahrenheit brand.

Somewhat similar to Hermessence Vanille Galante.

11th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2013)

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Marine is the precise word to associate this fragrance with. This is what a marine fragrance should be. With that said, is a marine fragrance for you? Marine to me, defies aquatics, they go a little further into the ocean, to make you feel as if you're in a coral reef, surrounded by water, bright and refreshing notes, with an aquatic feel.

Bvlgari's Aqua Marine may seem very boring and generic at first, but after a couple wearings you'll notice a little more of its character. The opening is a huge burst of tangerine with various melon notes and a zesty lemon note/accord. As it dries, it gets a little less zesty and in your face and a little more sweet, there's a fantastic sweet sandalwood note that comes through in the beginning/middle that's quite unexpected. It makes this fragrance a little more masculine as well from its rather unisex, bright opening. The middle may smell a little like carrots too, which is not uncommon when you mix woods with aquatic/marine notes. The base then gets more woodsy, I'd say cedar, sandalwood and a little bit of musk.

In the end, it makes for just a mediocre fragrance, different notes than the typical aquatic. This is a great scent to wear to the beach that will actually last all day, and project well.. but for everyday wear, this just isn't for me.

26 September, 2010

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Cool Water Game's better, fresher and more crisp smelling relative. This one is a bit more aquatic than Game; executes the watermelon note very well, but doesn't last very long. Though appealing, this fragrance is just oh so BLAH. I'm with the majority here on this neutral piece.

06 September, 2010

Donald Trump The Fragrance by Donald Trump

All the negative reviews of this didn't impact my decision to blind buy this. A price of 7.99 at Marshall's on a boring day of fragrance browsing was reason enough for me to give this guy a try. I'm quite glad that I did, and far more pleased than others.

Firstly, I'd like to comment on the top notes. Citrus.. huh? mint.. ehh, basil.. yes, cucumber.. YES, pickles.. YES!! I get a big fat slap in the face with a half sour pickle; and like the food, it's quite an acquired taste. Not your normal pickle, half sours: distinguished look and taste, as is this fragrance. Sort of a off-citrus and very light synthetic cypress thing going on, but the big player in this stuff is the cucumber. The heart is pretty boring. Smells like a mix of juniper berries, greens, and some spices.. notably basil. The base then adds some vetiver. I also get a bit of aloe from this fragrance, perhaps this is their attempt at mint, that ends up smelling like aloe.

Boring, yes. Why this is billed as the worst fragrance ever to some, is still beyond me. It doesn't smell bad. I wish the cucumber/half sour pickle opening lasted much longer. The Fragrance doesn't project much, but that helps it because if this did project anymore than it does, it would smell very cheap.

This reminds me of a more wearable Polo Explorer mixed with the synthetic cypress from Usher's VIP, and infused with cucumbers. Worth 7.99? Sure! give it a go, you may like it. It may become your signature fragrance. It's got a different opening than most, but is ultimately boring and generic. To me.. this sounds like the perfect office scent, and let's face it: boring, generic, casual, versatile, less projection.. these are the qualities we look for in an office scent.

04 September, 2010

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

Smells much darker than your average sporty fragrance. Nice, but very unoriginal and uninspired. Sort of reminds me of a toned down 80's powerhouse fragrance.

03 September, 2010

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

Mimi's review is pretty much on the money. Starts off very peppery, then adds some incense before the woods come in and dominate the dry down. Though it's peppery and very dry throughout -- but never animalic which is something I enjoy about this. I find it hard to find fragrances that are dry yet still enjoyable to me, because they smell too animalic. Leave it to Jean Claude Ellena to make things perfect though.

Overall this isn't one of my favorites from the Hermessence line, but it's still quite good, though somewhat copied and not so original. There are better choices for a fraction of the price.

Purple Label by Ralph Lauren

Like others, I find this fragrance to be rather green. To me though, I get a big eucalyptus accord, almost identical to the one in Safari. In fact, this reminds me of Safari, but take out all the spices, cinnamon and whatever else makes Safari an oriental fragrance, and replace them with green notes, bamboo and eucalyptus accords, tobacco leaf, and a little woods.

The opening is what I enjoy most, to me it smells like slightly sweet snow pea pods with a little pepper. I get like a Hermes style opening really, very natural and uplifting. That fades withing 10/15 minutes though, where it becomes another boring Polo fragrance with little sillage and below average longevity. About 3-4 hours or so on my skin (on a good day), mostly close to the skin.

So, is Purple Label worth all the hype? Is it really much different from the others from this house? Well, yes it is. But, what's to like? After the nice opening fades, it basically stays this boring tobacco leaf/eucalyptus/green fragrance.. sits very close to the skin and doesn't last too long. Bland, boring, next!

Allure Homme by Chanel

I totally agree with Shamu, though I don't hate this stuff as much as him. But for those looking for something that smells ultra special, you might wanna look in another direction. People claim this stuff smells a little like something from every genre, and arguably so. I get a little bit of citrus, creaminess, fruity, a little leather accord, some baby powder or a baby wipe smell as it dries, tonka bean, vanilla, vetiver and patchouli, along with a grape accord that's there from start to finish; which may seem like a lot to muster up, but it's really not too great. It's super generic, and basically a cheapo with a high price tag.

Though there's no denying in my mind that it smells good, and I may have been a bit more enthused about such a fragrance back when it first came out, but as for now, with all the other stuff out, and the hundreds of fragrances that I've owned or tried.. this is hiding in the shadows, and deservingly so, it isn't very special to me, and certainly isn't bottle worthy.

As for Chanel fragrances in general. If you're like me, you know your stuff a bit more than the average Joe, but you're not too familiar with some of the more respected houses such as Chanel and Dior, take my advice and avoid this one. I own a decant of Chanel No. 5 for women, and the comparison of quality is just astronomical. No. 5 is a beautiful, well composed, thick, rich and expensive fragrance, stunning! Very much a woman's fragrance, and even if you're opposed to wearing such, there's no denying that No 5 is a masterpiece. Allure on the other hand is just boring; it's hard to believe that these 2 are made by the same company. I'll keep my hopes up for trying Allure Sport, Egoiste, and some of the flankers, but thus far, as far, as Allure goes, all I can say is zzz...

Hermèssence Vanille Galante by Hermès

First time I tried this, I liked it, but it wasn't too special to me. Second time I wore it, I hated it! Afterwards I wrote it off, yet still had this 15 ml decant in my possession. Eventually I mustered up the courage to give it another try, and this time I enjoyed it much more, and every time thereafter. Although, I don't see myself buying this again in the future.

What Vanille Galante does that no other vanilla fragrance does is it extracts the sweetness from the vanilla, and really makes it earthy, with that Hermes touch. But, then the earthy like smells are less earthy than others made by JCE, because of some added synthetic and chemical notes. I pick up a strong rubber/latex note that stays in the fragrance for a while. I think this is what initially turned me off the most, but it's like, the more you smell it, the more you like it. I think rubber notes are actually quite nice in many fragrances, if done right they give a certain ruggedness to them.

Vanille Galante is an unsweetened vanilla (though naturally sweet), slightly herbal, rubbery, cooling, and medicinal fragrance, very unique but doesn't jump off the wall, because it's quite subtle. A must try though for those looking for a different type of vanilla. JCE proves that there can be vanilla fragrances that aren't syrupy, overly sweet, or cloying. Even if you hate vanilla, ya may wanna give this one a try.

28 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 April, 2011)

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

For me, this fragrance is more of fresh scent than a soapy one. It starts off very fresh, green, and vibrant, then fades into a more lemony, spicy and slightly sour (I think from the lemon) scent. As it becomes more lemony it reminds me of a less attractive version of Purple Water (Asprey). Once the lemon dies down, so does my enthusiasm. The lemon kept it alive for me, and although I'm not a huge lemon fan, I enjoyed the lemon note or accord in this very much; all 15 minutes of it. Afterwards, it's just your typical run of the mil fresh fragrance, with some floral, and woodsy notes that are very common, synthetic smelling, and unappealing to me. As for those who find this unique, umm.. lol. No disrespect, but this is about as generic as generic gets.

Just smells like a typical chemical Claiborne fragrance, pass..

26 August, 2010

Hermèssence Brin de Réglisse by Hermès

I get a very strong black licorice note in the opening accompanied by a boatload of herbs and some pepper. The lavender kicks in after some of the herbs diminish, which isn't for a good hour or so. Although it seems very strong when you smell it up on the skin, it actually didn't project very much for me, especially when comparing to others from this line. The dry down is more or less the same as Paprika Brasil's only less enjoyable and more dull. I do get anywhere from 6-8 hours longevity, however it's very very dull for more than half of those hours. This one is just so&so to me, I might buy it if it were 90% off :D

21st August, 2010

Black Diamond by Canali

Way too many notes to break apart what specifically is noticeable. But, I can confidentially say that the opening is reminiscent of Polo Sport, then as it dries a little, it becomes less boring and a little more distinguished with its noticeable leather note/accord along with the violet. These are which stand out the most to me, but as others have said it's blended together very smoothly so that you can't so much break it into individual notes. It's like a fruit punch mixed with leather and a little bit of florals, then some spice, then some woods.. You get a little bit of everything here. Quite nice, but ultimately boring and generic. Seems copied a million times, and surely will be, a million more. Worth a try but not bottle worthy imo.

Update: Black Diamond is very similar to Usher for men, only more potent. If you like Usher, but it doesn't last on you, go with this, you won't be disappointed.

18 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2013)

Givenchy Play by Givenchy

Generic? Ya. Boring? Maybe. But, I'm a sucker for fragrances like these. With its zesty lemon, bergamot and grapefruit opening blended smoothly with the sweet patchouli and a little vetiver. Along with the pepper, creates the perfect balance between sweet and spicy. Never too sweet or cloying and never too spicy. In fact, barely spicy, just a little bit of pepper to let ya know that Play is here and kicking. I also get tons of vanilla which aren't listed in any of the notes on any site, but I can assure you, there's vanilla in this stuff.

This stuff is very versatile and very safe. Ya it's boring, ya it's common, Ya it doesn't project much. Longevity isn't bad though, I get anywhere from 4-6 hours which is ok and expected with a fragrance like this. In the majority of that time, it stays pretty close to the skin, however it can be confusing because after about 20 minutes when you think it's gone completely, it's just very mellow. Hold your breath and take another whiff, it's still there, and others will still smell you. But once the 2 hour mark rolls around, this stuff is pretty delicate, Play doesn't want people to know it's on your skin. I do not recommend this scent for warmer or more humid climates because it will evaporate on the skin. The smell itself is suited for hot weather, but given its quality, it will not work. This is best if used in fall or even winter.

Play comes in a unique mp3 player like bottle, that's pretty cheesy in my opinion, but still has a nice appearance. If I could compare the scent to another fragrance, I would say Beckham Signature Story. Many probably haven't tried this or even seen it, but Play is basically a far more tamed version of the overly cloying Signature Story.

Is it worth it? This fragrance lacks in quality, is thin and somewhat watered down, and is a common olfactory fatigue terrorist. The fatigue problem may be more a problem for the noob noses out there. I am pretty good with avoiding it now since being more novice, but sometimes it's inevitable. Worth the price? Nah.. not for what you get. 53 bucks at Macy's for 1.7 oz of this is a joke. I wouldn't drop more than 20 on it.

18 August, 2010

V pour Homme by Valentino

Now discontinued and pretty hard to find is V pH. A very "love/hate" fragrance to say the least. Pink pepper is the dominating note in the opening to me, and actually bares a very strong resemblance to A*Men: Taste of Fragrance. Pink pepper, and gummy bears. The sweetness from the vanilla is pretty beast, and it kind of unbalances this one. It goes from spicy to sweet, to spicy, to sweet. There's incense in the background, and other unique spices (I get a sort of cumin or curry note). Longevity could be better.. I get around 4 hours usually. Projection is well throughout.

Usually I write off unbalanced fragrances like these, but there's something appealing about this one. Also gets me a lot of compliments.

16 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2013)

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

Ahh, a great example of too many notes pushed together. The opening of Soul to me smells like neroli, lime, and leather. Kind of reminds me of CK Contradiction in the opening. Then I get this fish food accord. This is no exaggeration.. it smells like fish food to me. It stays this way for the most part during the middle, where I also get the anise coming through which is listed as a top note, but I definitely don't get it until about 20 minutes in. I also get the nut meg and cinnamon, and it reminds me of a loopy more earthy version of Tommy. I also get the vetiver in the middle and even in the top a little even though it's listed as a base note. If you take the time to smell this on your arm from top to base, and look at the notes provided, you may pick up on everything, I piked up on most, but I'm sorry, this just doesn't come together well. On top of that, it smells quite cheap.

16 August, 2010

No. 5 by Chanel

So well blended that it's nearly impossibly to pick apart notes. This here is the epitome of a woman's perfume, this is what perfume is, plain and simple.

15 August, 2010

Halston 1-12 by Halston

Starts off kind of deep and bold, similar to Grey Flannel but without the violet note, but within minutes it transforms into something pretty disgusting. Harsh, toxic, chemical, ewww, pass. Get a sample of this from fragrancenet and see for yourself, it isn't very wearable.

13 August, 2010

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

The smell itself is excellent, kind of a cotton candy and tropical fruit thing going on. The fragrance however, being marketed toward women, should stay this way. This stuff is very very very feminine imo. I can't see a man wearing this unless he's very flamboyant. This fragrance is not only marketed for a woman nd should be worn by a woman, but it's very loud and in your face too. Smells gorgeous, but I can't pull this one off.

12 August, 2010

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

Oatmeal raisin cookies. This is an easy way of describing it. Though it's more complex; with nutmeg, cinnamon, hazelnut, apple, honey, vanilla. This stuff is so awesome, and it never gets too cloying like a lot of gourmands do. If I had to pick something to compare this to, I'd say the closest would be Banderas Spirit and Spirit VIP, but other than that, it's pretty much in a league by itself, at least for now that is. As its popularity grows, so will knockoffs of this product, which hopefully a few will succeed, because I'm not too thrilled with paying 250 a bottle. As with all the Hermes frags, you can expect that Hermes appeal that brings a lot of people back to them.. longevity - excellent, projection/sillage - perfect, and of course that natural smell/feel that you get from most Hermes frags.

12 August, 2010

Very Cool for Men by Tommy Bahama

I'm glad my original review wasn't published, which gives me an opportunity to explain this a little better. I'm still not a big fan though so I wont get too into depth. The opening is very fresh and lively. The middle turns pretty bad with light animalic and metallic accords as well as chemical accords. It simmers down some when getting into the base, less animalic, more metallic , and interesting. Closest to the skin out of all of the TB fragrances imo. Soapy throughout. Pretty tough nut to crack here, still my least favorite out of all the male fragrances from TB but not horrible. This should be adopted out of the house though, it doesn't really match.

10th August, 2010

Purple Water by Asprey

I definitley get the Pledge out of this, but it's not so bad. This is by far one the zestiest lemon fragrances I've ever owned, but before the lemon gets so dominant, it reminds me a lot of L'eau d'Issey. Once the zesty lemon dies down it becomes more of a synthetic candy lemon, like lemonheads candies. In comes a big fat orange blossom note as it moves into the middle which is about 15-20 minutes after initial application. The combination of the lemons and orange blossoms go together very smoothly. As if a lemon banged an orange blossom, their offspring would be the beginning of the heart notes of Purple Water. I also get the clear smell of an actual water note in middle, like a very pure spring water. I also get some violet and lavender notes out of the middle, which isn't listed in the note pyramid; but to me, those 2 notes would definitley make a fragrance "purple". As the middle fades, it becomes more soapy and floral before it takes on a vetiver and slightly musky base. I also get a grape accord that weaves in and out. The middle and base are more feminine than the opening. Projection is better in the opening, then anywhere from 4-6 inches from the skin in the middle, then just dies down more and more with time as many fragrances do. Longevity is about 5 hours for me on a good day.

Not bad at all, Zesty opening with high hopes of a more thorough lemon fragrance; that ends up being a completely different middle and base than the opening. I like the middle and base more and more though as I wear it more, it's actually a thing of beauty. Definitely tricked me though, not what I was expecting.

Is it worth the price though? This stuff is pretty expensive, usually around 70 bucks for 1.7 oz.but I have seen this online from 30-40. Even if I wasn't on a budget with my fragrances, I wouldn't pay such. It is a good smelling fragrance, that seems pretty high quality, but it just doesn't do enough for me to wanna pay that much. I would buy this for sure though if it were under 20 bucks. It's different than most of the stuff I own, and just brings a smile to my face.

07 August, 2010

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

Maybe one of the worst Hugo's I've tried. That doesn't say much, since most of them are pretty generic and boring. This one is generic, boring, and lacks in longevity and projection. Smells chemical with a very synthetic pepper note. Opens with a little citrus and various spices... stays linear more or less. Doesn't project much, doesn't last more than 2 hours. This being a good thing though. Hugo was good, Hugo Energise is just garbage, don't waste your money.

06 August, 2010

Photo by Lagerfeld

Photo by KL reminds me of a confused 80's aromatic fougère. The opening just screams lavender, which is a note that I happen to love, so I have no problem with its opening. The lavender dulls shortly after though, and the fragrance becomes more floral and soapy.

When I say "confused 80's" I mean it's got that 80's vibe, the smell and everything, but it doesn't have that powerhouse projection. It actually sits about 2-4 inches from the skin for most of the time, HOWEVER, the sillage is good. I used to want something that everyone could smell, no matter where I was. Now I prefer something that people can only smell when I walk by them; this is what sillage is. Photo does a good job of rising off the skin while in motion. Not too much though either, which makes this even better for a day at the office.

Back to the middle notes though, I do pick up on some chemical odors up close, but it also kind of smells like lillys and orange blossoms. These 2 notes I notice to often give off a certain soapy aroma. Floral yes, but also more feminine. At this point though, being in the heart notes, Photo is sitting pretty close to the skin, and still staying well balanced with the lavender, bergamot and spices, it never once jeopardizes its masculinity. The final drydown incorporates some musky tones and and woodsy notes as well as thyme. Thyme being a quite distinctive spice, adds a lot of character to Photo's base. This thyme note reminds me of that in Horizon's. And, overall this fragrance reminds me of a mix of Drakkar Noir, Horizon, Azzaro pH, and a little bit of a barbershop scent.

Photo is actually a little harder to get now, so I can't quite say if it's worth the money, because I haven't seen the prices. I can say that I purchased an 8ml decant for a low price from somebody, and enjoyed it. If you like those powerhouses, and the common smell that a lot of them bring to the table, you may enjoy Photo; but don't expect all that projection.

06 August, 2010